Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    when if your half mara?

April 1st, needless to say my goal time has been altered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Woddle wrote: »
    I havn't been feeling the love of late from my running, so I took a complete week off and happy to say that it's done the trick.
    My first run back was the Bhaa xc race out in Malahide. I had no expectations but that didn't stop the anxiety kicking in.
    I didn't do too much of a warm up and I think this worked in my favour, anyway race was off and it felt a bit strange racing under flood lights and the start was a bit of a mosh. I got into a good rhythm and hit the first km in 3:58 and followed that up with a 3:55. It started feeling a little bit tough here and I was 4:13 for the next. People started passing me on the hills with ease from here (I really am crap on hills) and one of them was a lady who I know is a sub 20 runner so I kept in touch with her. 4:25 for the 4th km and 4:18 for the 5th.
    I probably lacked a bit of concentration as I thought we had another lap to do and I never really copped where the finish was despite running by it 3 times :D and it was only when I got to one of the turns where you do a 180 that I saw people sprinting in another direction so I put the boot down and passed a couple of runners, one of who was the sub 20 lady. It was only about 50m of a sprint finish so I'd plenty left but just couldn't get AJ, I'll be sure to get him next time :D
    I really enjoyed it and a lot of positives to take, the main one being that I havn't lost too much fitness despite a week off and a few shabby weeks before that.

Average pace was 4:10 per km (6:43 pace)
    AHR 186, MHR 199 (and reckon with a longer sprint finish I can get this up higher)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160246570

Good running, it's a course that most people underestimate. Those little hills have to be climbed three times & the tight bends with 160 runners, chips away at any momentum you have going.

28/4/2011
    1. 4'08, AHR 174
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 193
    28/6/2011
    1. 3'58, AHR 167
    recovery 2'30
    2. 3'57, AHR 173
    recovery 2'30
    3. 3'59, AHR 175
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'01, AHR 177
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'04, AHR 177

5k in 20'00 (4'00 per k average), AHR 173, max HR 187
    15/10/2011
    1. 3'55, AHR 179
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'01, AHR 182
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'10, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'20, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 20'43 (4'09 per k average), AHR 182, max HR 193

23/03/2012
    1. 3'56, AHR 176
    recovery 2'30
    2. 3'51, AHR 179
    recovery 2'30
    3. 3'55, AHR 180
    recovery 2'30
    4. 3'54, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 3'46, AHR 185

5k in 19'22 (3'50 per k average, the loop is about 10m over 1k)), AHR 180, max HR 194

5x1k tonight with meno and aimman on the marlay loop. Really enjoyable run.

This is a session I've been doing since I started back and it's nice to compare it to this time last year, a lot of confidence can be taken from it.
    Despite similar heart rate readings this felt very comfortable and don't think I was really pushing any of them (maybe the last 200m of the last) and was talking to meno during most. Really good sign but it makes me want to kick myself in the nuts for wasting the last 3 weeks but anyway the spring is definitely back in my step.
    Just keep it ticking over now till next weekend and in the meantime try and figure out a goal time :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160720425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

next time we will actually run one in 4 minutes :D . We might have to look at the watch to do that though!

5 miles with TBB this morning and what a beautiful morning for it.

I spent last night trying to come up with a target time for Berlin (half) next week, a bit of my thinking below, I'd be very interested in peoples opinions. I do have a figure in my head but would like to hear what others think and I'm sure Larry will have a number aswell.

Positives
    I had a good January and an ok Feb
    Two good efforts, Raheny and the 5k track run (29th of Feb) 19'52
    I nailed some good sessions, up to 6x2k (6'44 pace) off 90 secs recovery
    mental side of things seems to be looking up

Negatives
    A really bad March which included a whole week off
    Hadn't nailed a session since mid Feb in particular 3x3 mile
    Bad racing performance in Dungarvan 10k
    Lacking a bit of endurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5 miles with TBB this morning and what a beautiful morning for it.

I spent last night trying to come up with a target time for Berlin (half) next week, a bit of my thinking below, I'd be very interested in peoples opinions. I do have a figure in my head but would like to hear what others think and I'm sure Larry will have a number aswell.

Positives
    I had a good January and an ok Feb
    Two good efforts, Raheny and the 5k track run (29th of Feb) 19'52
    I nailed some good sessions, up to 6x2k (6'44 pace) off 90 secs recovery
    mental side of things seems to be looking up

Negatives
    A really bad March which included a whole week off
    Hadn't nailed a session since mid Feb in particular 3x3 mile
    Bad racing performance in Dungarvan 10k
    Lacking a bit of endurance

If I were you i'd race is as a progression race. Split it into 3 sections first 5 run relaxed and see how your feeling, next 5 either hold what you have or push on a little, last 3 just go for it......
    But maybe have a chat with your coach :).

shels4ever wrote: »
    If I were you i'd race is as a progression race. Split it into 3 sections first 5 run relaxed and see how your feeling, next 5 either hold what you have or push on a little, last 3 just go for it......
    But maybe have a chat with your coach :).

Nice idea but it's not really a style I'm good at, I don't think I've ever been able to up the pace in the latter stages of a race (apart from sprint finish).
    I'll definitely be chatting with Larry but he's a very optimistic guy :D
    I'm going to race this and give it a good lash but just curious to what others would predict for me, try get a consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

anyting over 1:23:xx....and u can delete my number

ultraman1 wrote: »
    anyting over 1:23:xx....and u can delete my number

:D
    It's not a 10 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Whats your half marathon PB?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Whats your half marathon PB?

1'44 from a marathon a few years ago, havn't raced the distance often. The training was all geared towards a 1'29'59 but I've been so stupid pizzing away the last 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

1:25 den...or just go wit ur origanal target

1'44 from a marathon a few years ago, havn't raced the distance often. The training was all geared towards a 1'29'59 but I've been so stupid pizzing away the last 3 weeks.

90mins would be about 6:50. Thats about 68:40 for 10miles, and about 43 mins for 10k. If this race was only 10k, do you think you could knock it out in 43mins, without it being killer?

90mins would be about 6:50. Thats about 68:40 for 10miles, and about 43 mins for 10k. If this race was only 10k, do you think you could knock it out in 43mins, without it being killer?

Did a 10k tempo in 42:59 back in the middle of Feb and I have a comment in my log saying I could have done another 3 or 4 but no more. I also think I'd be close to sub 70 for 10. If I had of raced a 10 miler in the middle of Feb I think I could have ran the time above but a lot has happened since then.

(by the way just looking at the club facebook page, congrats on Mallow, maybe all the hard training for Dublin and since is obviously paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi Woddle, just thought I'd give me 2 cents here. I think a progression run is not a bad idea here. You could head out @ 7.10 pace for the 3 miles or so to warm up and if you're feeling good up it to 7.00 min miling. Get to half way and you're feeling like your jogging up the pace and go for broke, see how close to 1.30 you can get. You got some solid training done thee that wouldn't have gone to waste.

Did a 10k tempo in 42:59 back in the middle of Feb and I have a comment in my log saying I could have done another 3 or 4 but no more. I also think I'd be close to sub 70 for 10. If I had of raced a 10 miler in the middle of Feb I think I could have ran the time above but a lot has happened since then.

(by the way just looking at the club facebook page, congrats on Mallow, maybe all the hard training for Dublin and since is obviously paying off.

I think you should go for it. It seems that physically you have the capacity, the only thing that would stand in your way is self doubt. Go off at 6:50, know that you have at least 10k at that pace in you. Be aware that its probably gonna feel hard straight away, but dont give in to this. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that it should be comfortable. If you expect it to be uncomfortable all the way then nothing can throw you off or deter you from reaching your goal. Dont be afraid of the pace, dont let it psych you out. I'd be pretty sure there'll be a group going for sub 90 so get yourself into that group and commit to being the last man standing. Let other people drop off. Once you get to 10miles gone there'll probably be an overwhelming urge to slow down, especially if you go through in an unoffical PB. Bargaining is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You gotta make a promise to yourself that no matter what happens you wont make bargains no matter how tempting the offer. When you get inside the last mile, gun it, no matter how you feel, because you wont feel like accelerating. But you can. So many times in the last mile of a race I've felt like theres no way I could ramp it up. But thats the mind playing games. Its a leap of faith, you gotta trust that your body will respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think you should go for it. It seems that physically you have the capacity, the only thing that would stand in your way is self doubt. Go off at 6:50, know that you have at least 10k at that pace in you. Be aware that its probably gonna feel hard straight away, but dont give in to this. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that it should be comfortable. If you expect it to be uncomfortable all the way then nothing can throw you off or deter you from reaching your goal. Dont be afraid of the pace, dont let it psych you out. I'd be pretty sure there'll be a group going for sub 90 so get yourself into that group and commit to being the last man standing. Let other people drop off. Once you get to 10miles gone there'll probably be an overwhelming urge to slow down, especially if you go through in an unoffical PB. Bargaining is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You gotta make a promise to yourself that no matter what happens you wont make bargains no matter how tempting the offer. When you get inside the last mile, gun it, no matter how you feel, because you wont feel like accelerating. But you can. So many times in the last mile of a race I've felt like theres no way I could ramp it up. But thats the mind playing games. Its a leap of faith, you gotta trust that your body will respond.

Actually this sounds like a much more impressive way to tackle the race, I'm starting to like this all or nothing approach!

Cheers for the input guys, plenty to think about.

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to look at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Turns out the splits for the 30 mins were
    Mile 1 - 6:43 (AHR 176)
    Mile 2 - 6:53 (AHR 183)
    Mile 3 - 7:06 (AHR 184)
    Mile 4 - 7:10 (AHR 186)
    the rest - 7:02 (AHR 186)

Normally the above splits would indicate poor endurance but I don't think that's the case tonight as aerobically I felt great. I'm putting it down to the pain in my calfs. They were hurting more and more with every stride (very painful) and I can hardly walk right now. I didn't really feel the slowing down, definitely the calfs in my opinion.
    I think there sore because I've worn my racers on nearly all my runs this week and I also feel I was dehydrated and poorly fueled.
    Take away the excuses and I'm really happy with this run, things are looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to luck at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Maybe the week off was just what you needed! Stretch the crap out of those calves.

6:43 looks a little hot for your first mile to me, and it was pretty warm today, so thats great stuff. My two cents would be to start at 6:50-7:00 (no faster) and ease your way in to the race. I might be around one evening for an easy one if you want this week. Babysitter pending etc.

The evening run sounds good. I'm actually walking like a penguin :D
    I'm thinking a 7'15 first mile could be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to luck at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Normally the above splits would indicate poor endurance but I don't think that's the case tonight as aerobically I felt great. I'm putting it down to the pain in my calfs. They were hurting more and more with every stride (very painful) and I can hardly walk right now. I didn't really feel the slowing down, definitely the calfs in my opinion.
    I think there sore because I've worn my racers on nearly all my runs this week and I also feel I was dehydrated and poorly fueled.
    Take away the excuses and I'm really happy with this run, things are looking up.
    What's your maximum HR?

mithril wrote: »
    What's your maximum HR?

I recorded 199 at the end of Wednesdays xc ( not quite all out) but I know I can get above that and have recorded a 205 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I recorded 199 at the end of Wednesdays xc ( not quite all out) but I know I can get above that and have recorded a 205 before.
    That's really high. I could not even hit 170 during a 5 mile race which I think would be flat out. I thought your HR figures were very high for a 10 mile training run but maybe not if your max is outside the normal range and it felt comfortable.

Took yesterday off so as to let the calves get better, seems to have helped but still a little sore. Might book in for a massage.

4 miles in the heat at recovery pace. I could feel my calves the whole way round but if Sundays run was an 8 out of 10 for pain, today was about a 3.

Just for a bit of fun and to get the legs ticking over, I decided to do
    10x400 with 200m jog recovery, I had yasso 800s in mind but in 400s and take the average and see what it predicts for my half marathon time (I did say fun)
    I pretty much had the track to myself and conditions were perfect. I was going to run these in a controlled manner and no looking at the watch.
    I knew I ran the 1st one too fast though despite my promise and copped myself on for the rest bar the last. I ended up only doing 8 reps but that was because my calves were starting to act up (only a little) as I know I could have done more reps.

Splits
    84, 90, 91, 89
    89, 87, 87, 84
    recovery worked out at 88/90

So the woddle 400s reckon I can run a half in 1'27'38 :D

Now I don't actually think that's as crazy as it sounds but it won't happen on Sunday but I wonder if I didn't waste 3/4 weeks a few weeks ago and maybe if I could have managed a few of Larrys prescribed 3x3 miles I wonder how close I could have got.

Anyway having had a chat with meno and reading a few of the replies from tunguska and pconn I'm going to go out at 7'10 pace and see how things are after a couple of miles. I'm starting to feel more confident and I'm prepared to hurt. I just need to sort the calves out and decide on what shoes I'm wearing, racers are definitely out as they are definitely a contributing factor to the problem, it also occurred to me that the xc race probably did me no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Turn off your heart rate display, take the first mile easy, and go for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Splits
    84, 90, 91, 89
    89, 87, 87, 84
    recovery worked out at 88/90

Never mind them 10x400 reps, I want to know how fast you can do one 400m, flat out :)

Seems like you are in good shape. Best of luck with the half. Smash it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Turn off your heart rate display, take the first mile easy, and go for it :)

That was pretty much my advice but Woddle haggled me down to giving him a precise time target :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    That was pretty much my advice but Woddle haggled me down to giving him a precise time target :pac:

Yep and I'll be taking it, promise not to look.

Just 20 mins to test the calves and the good news is my right calf seems to be back to normal. However my left is still pretty sore, so I won't run tomorrow and will just stretch and rest it.
    The 20 mins went well, I tried to hone in on 7'15 pace and did about 9 mins at that pace (5,2,2).

Best of luck to all doing Conn, some serious times been mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck with the 1:15 attempt Woddle! :D
    Grow into it gradually rather than haring away at the start and you'll give yourself a real chance at your goal time!

Advertisement