Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much has Madonna sold so far?

• 23-08-2004 6:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given they are still advertising for the gig pretty much everywhere, and the fact that the tickets are at a rediculous price for a very poor quality gig, I wonder how many tickets have been sold?

Anyone have a good idea of how many are left? Please, someone tell me its going to be a crowd of 200 people, all there because they won tickets on the radio. :D

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

According to Today FM a couple of days ago, they've sold just over half the available tickets. It's a piss-poor line up at a rip-off price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

yeah i heard the darkness were supporting? who's the line up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I think the lineup is something like Oakenfold, the darkness and Iggy Pop. I've said it before - I'll say it again, Madonnas target audience as at Auguest 2004 is thirty something women and gay men. Not big Darkness fans :D , much less Iggy-heads!

The traditional Slane Audience has tended to be a lot of 'we've just done the leaving cert let's get locked' brigade. And a fair few people in twenties/early thirties. So - U2, Stereophonics, RHCP, REM all attract a certain 'lad' factor, know what i mean?

The price is also rather prohibitive. Inasmuch as Madonna is 'living legend' I'd love to see her, but for the money being asked, I'd expect to *see* her. I mean in somewhere like the Point.

regarding sales - there was a throwaway caption on a picture in the tribune of her and they said that sales had been 'sluggish'

*edit* also, given that Ian Dempsey had Lord Henry on this morning talking it up, 2fm were giving away tix this a.m., today fm have been at it all weekend, I think somebody somewhere is ****ting themselves. what's amusing is that the print media didn't play along this time. there were no huge puff pieces in the papers giving her loads of publicity at the weekend, and it's getting a bit late for the 'last minute' brigade to get their arses in gear now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

A lot of the last-minute people will also go to Marley Park and give Slane a miss. Bad timing for Slane but Mags will get paid either way (she must have a clever manager being able to sell her to such a large venue).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

€88 to go see someone sing out of tune and dance about on a stage? My arse. As grumpytrousers says, the target audience is thirtysomethings. Most probably won't even watch the darkness. And Iggy Pop and Madonna aren't exactly 'similar'. Who comes up with these ridiculous pairings? Like Metallica and Linkin Park last year. What kind of morons organise these gigs?

I can't understand why anyone would pay this much money to go see this gig. Madonna can't sing live

• Advertisement

See Seamus - in a way, it was like MCD tried to second guess the market. "thirtysomethings have more disposable income, therefore they'll stump up the money".

WRONG WRONG WRONG

thirtysomethings have more disposable income but are more careful with it. However, give 'em a relatively cheap concert ticket, and the feckers will blow a fortune on merchandise. Well - they did at the Stones concerts in the Point last sept anyway. :D

Whether Madonna can or cant' sing live isn't that big a deal - i mean, all these 'diva' shows tend to be more 'spectacle' than sound anyway. From what i hear over the water, it's not that she 'can't' sing live that's the issue....

*cough*mimes*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Apparently sales have been "sluggish" for the entire tour, not just for her headline at Slane. So sluggish in fact that to combat it the 'Reinvention' Tour is being rebranded the 'Greatest Hits' tour for many gigs. That's something of a turn-around, oui non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

The Darkness arent supporting anymore its just okenfold and iggy, how can mcd advertise the darkness as playing and then just pull them without telling anyone

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

What a strange line up .....

Gate Open: 4pm
    Paul Oakenfold 5pm to 6pm
    Iggy Pop & The Stooges 6.30pm to 7.30pm
    Madonna 8.30pm

touts taking a hit as well...

*strokes chin*

might go yet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

touts taking a hit as well...

*strokes chin*

might go yet!!!
    That's funny - lots of desperate people :D

6 tickets for €250, ouch

<edit >
    That's actually sterling - still a low price...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

According to Today FM a couple of days ago, they've sold just over half the available tickets. It's a piss-poor line up at a rip-off price.

Yeah I heard that on the radio too, just a few days ago, yet MCD were claiming in the Irish Times this morning that "95% of tickets have been sold".

LIES!
    I cannot wait to see the thronging crowds at Slane on the telly, if shops are selling the tickets below face value and STILL not shifting units (heard that on here yesterday) then it doesn't add up.

eth0_ wrote:
    Yeah I heard that on the radio too, just a few days ago, yet MCD were claiming in the Irish Times this morning that "95% of tickets have been sold".

LIES!
    I cannot wait to see the thronging crowds at Slane on the telly, if shops are selling the tickets below face value and STILL not shifting units (heard that on here yesterday) then it doesn't add up.
    Hmm...they wheeled out Tony Fenton on Toady FM to talk ad nauseum about her gigs he'd seen. As Jim Carroll pointed out in the times, it's okay for the hacks and jocks to go on and on about here - they're not being asked to stump up €90 for a ticket...

prices plummeting on ebay as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I remember posting about this a few months back, but the day that I posted was the day that the Boards server went down and all the posts that day were lost.

Anyway, the point that I made that time was that I really really hope that this gig flops. There’s a few reasons for this.

1. The absolute cheek of Madonna to refuse to play on a Saturday, citing that Saturday is her holy day yet she has no problem performing on our holy day.
    2. The tickets are priced ridiculously considering the p1ss poor line up. Fair enough that Madonna is a living a legend and tbh I wouldn’t mind seeing her in concert, but you don’t **** over your fans with ridiculous ticket prices especially considering that a lot of people that would be going to the gig would have to take the Monday off work due to point 1.
    3. My third and final point is, How many World Tours has Madonna had?
    A LOT!!
    And how many times has she come to Ireland with those World Tours?
    ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADDA!

So as far as I’m concerned “Madge” can Fúck Off back to her Castle in the English countryside and continuing playing happy families with her Plastic “Cockney” husband!!!!

B.

I'd agree with Bazmo. Schaudenfreude is the wrong word (and probably the wrong spelling) cos i'm not so misanthropic as to hope that the punters have a rotten day out. If you pay that kind of money to see an artist you really like (and are being effectively blackmailed into paying on foot of the 'never again' line trotted out) you should have a nice day, a good gig, and fond memories.

however, I'd dearly love the money lads/ladettes to come out of this the worse for wear, tails between legs and a lesson learned. You simply don't stitch up the punters in this manner and be so presumptious as to think you're *that* talented and worthy of *that* kind of money.

Not in a venue *that* fookin big anyway.

I repeat - I'd be one of the first to pay silly money to see any 'living legend' artist, but note my use of the verb 'see'. Play in the Point Madge, and I'll pay that money meself...

She might be outstanding in her own field - but I won't be in Lord Henrys...

I'd agree with Bazmo. Schaudenfreude is the wrong word (and probably the wrong spelling) cos i'm not so misanthropic as to hope that the punters have a rotten day out. If you pay that kind of money to see an artist you really like (and are being effectively blackmailed into paying on foot of the 'never again' line trotted out) you should have a nice day, a good gig, and fond memories....

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I hope that everybody that goes to the gig has a great time. I just hope that the Organisers and Money Men involved get royally shafted for their cynicism.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

thirtysomethings have more disposable income but are more careful with it. However, give 'em a relatively cheap concert ticket, and the feckers will blow a fortune on merchandise. Well - they did at the Stones concerts in the Point last sept anyway.

Weren't the tickets for the Stones around 90 or 105 Euro each?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I wouldn't say all Madonna fans are 30 somethings.
    I certainly know a good few people 18 -25 going.

They were. But it was in the Point...This is what I'm saying (the 'high' cost of entry is kind-of offset by the smaller nature of the venue).

I saw the Stones in Twickenham (bought tix before dublin date announced) and got stung for £75 each. In the stand at the far end of the stadium from the stage. (tix for the pitch itself were £150). I felt hard done by, but you know, that's the way things go. The symmetry with Madonna is there. 'Last Tour', 'Only Date', 'Pay the price or **** off'. I wanted to see 'em, so I swallowed the cost. (Tried to sell on Ebay, but would have made a loss)

Then a mate got tickets for the Point and sorted me out for one. Face value was €55 and they went up to €105. However, no matter where you were, you were getting something at least 'slightly' intimate, when compared to a field in Co Meath; I'll grant you it's not the Olympia, mind!

sharkman wrote:
    What a strange line up .....

Gate Open: 4pm
    Paul Oakenfold 5pm to 6pm
    Iggy Pop & The Stooges 6.30pm to 7.30pm
    Madonna 8.30pm

Just got an email from Ticketmaster confirming this.

3 acts only? All that for €90!! Rip off!

I really admire Oakenfold as a DJ and I've seen him play a few times and he was amazing, but I would imagine he would only be playing songs from his last album "Bunka" and in all fairness, I can't see too many bothering to get there early enough to go see him.

Iggy Pop & The Stooges??? He couldn't even sell out a gig in Dublin Castle and that only holds about 12!!! Apart from "Passengers" & "Lust for Life" how many Madonna fans are gonna know any of there songs? Not many!

That is a shocking line up. You only have to look at line ups from previous years to see how bad it is.

1998 -The Verve, Manic Street Preachers, Robbie Williams, Finley Quaye, The Sea Horses, James, Junkster

1999 - Robbie Williams, Stereophonics, Placebo, Happy Mondays, Gomez, David Gray, Simon Carmody.

2000 - Bryan Adams, Moby, Macy Gray, Melanie C, Eagle Eye Cherry, Muse, Dara, Screaming Orphans

Decent enough line ups, depending on your tastes, that at least compliment each other.

Then you only have to look at 2001 when arguably the biggest band in the world U2 played. They could of easily gotten away with having no support act and they could've charged what Madonna is charging. But they didn't!

First Gig - U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay, Kelis, JJ72 and Relish
    Second Gig - Moby, Foo Fighters, Nelly Furtado and Dara (and an Ireland win with a cracker of a goal by Jason MacAteer!!!) Now that's real VFM!!! ;)

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd also be a person that'd fork out for a good gig but that is an awful lot of money for nothing. Take that €88 ticket which gives you a **** view, **** sound (natural amphitheatre maybe but stand anywhere further than the soundboard and you get a horrible echo as it takes so long for the signal to reach the back speakers that you've already heard the sound coming from the speakers closer to the stage), **** line-up (Iggy's a great artist but not for that money) and a good chance of miming and compare it with a €100 ticket for Neil Young in Vicar Street and you've no contest.

Also if you count the €20 for the bus ticket, and also €5 a pint, plus whateverthe**** they'll charge for fooder.

John2 wrote:
    I'd also be a person that'd fork out for a good gig but that is an awful lot of money for nothing. Take that €88 ticket which gives you a **** view, **** sound (natural amphitheatre maybe but stand anywhere further than the soundboard and you get a horrible echo as it takes so long for the signal to reach the back speakers that you've already heard the sound coming from the speakers closer to the stage), **** line-up (Iggy's a great artist but not for that money) and a good chance of miming and compare it with a €100 ticket for Neil Young in Vicar Street and you've no contest.
    Slightly OT...re Neil Young at Vicar St - is it true at those gigs he just played the new album from start to finish and stipulated the bar didn't open until half time. I know this to be the case of his gig on that tour in London. Flatmate not impressed at all...:D Down £80 and nary a pint afore the show...

Also if you count the €20 for the bus ticket, and also €5 a pint, plus whateverthe**** they'll charge for fooder.

I've been to Slane three times and I've only ever bought one pint, it was so bad that it put me off buying pints at outdoor gigs forever. They had these people pulling pints continuously and leaving them on a table to be collected as necessary, as a result some of them had been there for ages and tasted rotten.

Actually I think the pints might be ok now. I drank them at Oxegen expecting them to be rank, and they were actually pretty good. Aswel at Marley Park on Saturday, only had two but they were good. Better than some pints I get in pubs.

Slightly OT...re Neil Young at Vicar St - is it true at those gigs he just played the new album from start to finish and stipulated the bar didn't open until half time. I know this to be the case of his gig on that tour in London. Flatmate not impressed at all...:D Down £80 and nary a pint afore the show...

The bar was open before the show as far as I remember. I think it opened halfway through but at no stage were you allowed to bring drink into the venue. Didn't bother me though, Neil Young isn't exactly drinking music. And he played the new album start to finish for the first half of the show and then did a greatest hits type set in the second half (I'd dare say the first half was the best half!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mitnick

i'd say three (her husband and two children forced to go)
    but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

...they're charging wheelchair users' helpers full price for tickets according to Newstalk, so they're obviously not making a profit. What a PR disaster! MCD all i can say to you is :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p this is what happens when you try ripping people off

To quote Mr Young as mentioned above "You pay for this but they give you that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

...they're charging wheelchair users' helpers full price for tickets according to Newstalk, so they're obviously not making a profit. What a PR disaster! MCD all i can say to you is :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p this is what happens when you try ripping people off
    RE: Wheelchair users,
    My mother works in the IWA,and after that news show people called them offereing free tickets. Long story short, she spent most of the day calling people trying to find somone that wanted free tickets ;)

Cant even give them away, apparently.

Advertisement