Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

|!| Third Level Fees

• 27-11-2002 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

fees1.giffees2.gif

Hey guys, the above is a replica of the postcards that the YOUNG PDs are currently circulating as part of a no2fees campaign. Being a YPD member myself, I strongly disagree with the re-introduction of third level fees, and its also something that our parent party, the Progressive Democrats agree with, furthermore, they are supporting our campaign effort with a strong re-iteration as members of the Government that third level fees will be opposed by us (as YPDs AND PDs). We're asking people to re-enforce this opinion by supporting our campaign, thus the reason for my post.

A website is available to backup the site. http://www.youngpds.org

I hope you find it of interest, and if anyone has any questions or comments, please visit the site and let us know, or email no2fees@youngpds.org.

Regards
    Dave C.
    no2fees

no2fees website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I campaigned for free fee's and used to be a very active member of USI (quite a while ago) and I say free fee's dont work..

countries around the world all are moving to a system where the student has to pay something significant to costs, as free fee's dont do the job they were supposed to - being to bring non traditional students to 3rd level education..

Free fee's are for the poor - but why should a millionares son or daughter get free fee's too?

We should have something like the old grant, but with a higher means tested ceiling, say (to pick a figure out of the sky) €50,000 per annium. If parental income is below that it should be totally free, and above that it costs whatever it costs, and put a government intrest free loans paid back over a number of years of your working life, post college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

no2fees, please read the forum guidelines
    Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article sans comment. Either add a comment before or after the post, offering your opinion on the subject, or at the very least, your reason for adding the topic.

This is not the first time I've seen the PD's pushing some bandwagon to furthur their political agenda. I for one strongly oppose the reintroduction of college fees, but I would rather join a campaign that relies on rigorous political merit rather than a leech on the back of public opinion.

If I'm wrong, then please tell me what exactly the PD's intend to do, and what the PD's have done to date. They are a minority coalition party in government. If they feel so strongly about the reintroduction of fees they can bring down the current administration, or at least use it as a bargining chip. Until they are prepared to do this or some other effective means of opposing the decision, I'm not going to countenance the PD's loud insistence that they are stronly opposed to fees without some evidence that they are actually prepared to *do* something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

What about getting better resources to secondary schools and pupils that are not so privlidged?..although i doubt my money will do so.

Yeah...once we have such a corrupt and ****ty government i dont want my money going anywhere near them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah I think the point is that the government have said that they will use money generated by fees to help those who should not have to pay fees.
    However, on the back of their recent renaging on several fronts, I simply do not think that they should be trusted to spend the money on this alone. It would be next to impossible to guarantee that fees money is spent on this and this alone, so there simply is no carrot at the moment.
    Have to agree with the criticism of the PDs though, if they let this happen and continue to whine about it then they will get short shrift from students in the future, this will not be forgotten.
    But as long as we have wánkers like Hourihane running the show being bankrolled by FF (and coincidentally agreeing with the idea of reintroducing fees), its difficult to know who is going to defend these interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 no2fees

well thats utterly pathetic, those cards were done by me, so that would be expressing my opinion in fact! So you are completely wrong to have edited a post by me.

The rest of the edited post indicates that I was not in fact "moderated" I was censored. So you edit posts that don't match your political opinion? Thats worrysome.

Well there goes all confidence I ever had in boards.ie out the window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So what you are saying is that those posters are not official PD colateral. Do they know that you are posting these personal opinions of yours with their name associated with them.

Back to why it was moderated/censored etc. We have a set of rules for this forum you read them before posting. We do not like to see a single link or a picture without the poster taking the time to write their own views in a post. Now I would have needed to be a mind reader to realise that you made those posters personally wouldn't I (see I'm saying they looked fairly professional, how nice of me!).

Gandalf.

(by the way people who posted similar posts to yours in the past, ie a link to website or a picture only have included the Irish White peoples party(I've forgotten their name tbh) & the Continunity IRA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 no2fees

I'm saying nothing of the sort, I'm a YPD, who is part of the no2fees campaign being launched by the YPDs, not the PD.

The cards are by me, and if you need me to repost with a bit of editorial, fine. But I sure as hell don't appreciate people deleting an email, then making a comment (political comment).

If you have a good reason to delete them, fine, but sure as hell don't make it out because you (personally) disagree with them.

Mary H hasent got the balls to stand up to FF anyway..

she has been their lapdog for how long, 6 years now..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So what your saying is YPD is a different organisation to the PD's. Like "Diet" PD's or "Lite" PD's :)

I did have a good reason to delete your spam BECAUSE YOU BROKE THE RULES. If I decide to add a comment to add some humour, so what! (it wasn't personally aimed at you!)

Man if your going to get involved in politics you need to grow a thicker skin !!!

If you edit your post with some words explaining your campaign and your position then I have no problems leaving your post intact.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

Free fee's are for the poor - but why should a millionares son or daughter get free fee's too?

Why, exactly, should rich people have to pay for education but poor people get it for free? That is simply not fair to the rich people.

Is this more 'positive discrimination' nonsense?

Why don't shops charge rich people for food and poor people get it for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Why, exactly, should rich people have to pay for education but poor people get it for free? That is simply not fair to the rich people.

If thats your argument, then why give poor people social welfare payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by festivala
    Why, exactly, should rich people have to pay for education but poor people get it for free?
    Because the rich people can afford to pay it on their own, and the poor people can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Of course, there's also a question mark over means-testing the parents of people who aren't technically dependents any more in order to work out if they deserve a grant.

I'm 21 years of age and living and working in a different country to my parents - I've worked full time and supported myself since I was 18. However if I decided to go to university now, I'd be refused a grant because of a means test on my parents. Fair?

(That being said, I agree with college fees if the cash will be ploughed back in places it's needed more. If I want the privelige of a university education I'm prepared to do the work and shoulder the debt required to pay for that as much as possible, but I'd like to see the cash used to provide better education systems across the board or to support those who really, genuinely could not afford university otherwise.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Rich and poor, exactly what is all this bollocks?

I mean surely its common sense to make allowances for people with lower incomes on issues such as education, I mean we already have it in health with the medical card, why is education lagging behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by swiss
    no2fees, please read the forum guidelines

You've had the same message from two mods, and yet insist that you're being censored.

Well, lets go for unanimity in the politics moderator triumverate.

No2Fees - any post which starts a thread without personal commentary will be summarily edited/deleted by one of the mods, unless we deem it is by a long-term poster we happen to know will take part in the discussion.

If you dont have the common decency to read our rules before posting, or lack the intelligence to understand that they apply equally to you as to others....this is not our concern.

You were not censored. You were not oppressed. You were moderated for not doing what the rules tell you to. Arguing your case, to be honest, does not strengthen your position - it simply confirms my belief that you still have not read the rules, or that you have read them and still cannot understand that they apply to you.

Getting back to the point....

Exactly where do you think the money for fees comes from? Ultimately, the tax-payers. Given that the millionaires contribute so much more to the govts tax income "per capita" than anyone else, I think its only reasonable that they should get equal benefit from it.

I suppose next we'll have someone arguing that their fees should be higher than everyone else's too, cause they can afford to pay.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrangry

Well as a student i m dead aginst the reintroduction of fees.No political party has taken a stand for students.If the PDs are willing to put their arse on the line for this,as they have with Bertie bowl,spending ect, then I welcome it,irrespective of some of my views on them.

Mary Harney doesnt usually come across as a politician who makes empty promises.

This whole fees businee,I believe is been used by the students unions and USI for their own self purposes.In an era where students are getting more and more indifferent to their unions, this issue or non issue is been used to show that they are still relevant to student life and not just a bunch of wanna be politicians!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I dont understand are the PD's not a Right wing political party.

I confusses me that they should not want fees.

Are the PD's turning Left wing and could this start a wonderful relationship between them and Labour, what a force.

I don't respect the government when they wish to get rid of Fee's but I cann't see students doing and thing to stop them. The student strikes were useless and unorganised. They should all strike on the one day not just take days every now and then. One week it Galway the next its Waterford and then its Limerick.

Go on disrupt the roads on a national day of Striking.

After all most of the student unions around the country are part of the USI. Where is the USI when you need them?????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does nobody else think that the introduction of 3rd level fees would be political suicide.
    FF are already pushing the limits of what they are doing for the "good of the country", I think this is basically forming an entire generation of people who won't vote for FF, because they made them have to work their asses off in college instead of enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think they want to be different so the just say they are right wing when really like most people in Ireland they are centre left.

Centre Left could change to centre right after the budget.

(Just an edit to say i am talking about the PD's, due to the page change.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by PHB
    Does nobody else think that the introduction of 3rd level fees would be political suicide.

Depends on the timing and how you went about it, really.

I think it would, like any other controversial move, generate miles of column-inches, and maybe cause a few people to go hoarse from incoherent shouting and ranting, after which it would die down and become just another fact of life.
    I think this is basically forming an entire generation of people who won't vote for FF, because they made them have to work their asses off in college instead of enjoying it.

Its taken me a while to figure out what irks me about this suggestion....and its just come to me....

When I went through uni, you still had to pay fees.

It wasnt all that long ago, either, so its not like I'm a doddering old grandad fondly remembering through rose-tinted glasses.

I still enjoyed my four years there. In fact, anyone I know who was in Uni at the time pretty much enjoyed it...as much as you enjoy anything in life. Some of them needed jobs, some of them didnt.

My girlfriend over here in Switzerland is putting herself through Uni. She will have debts in excess of €20K at the end of it. She still enjoys it.

In other words, I dont see working your ass off as being incompatible with the idea of enjoyment. There's room for both in your life. Well - there should be - because otherwise your days until retirement are gonna be pretty un-good ;)

To be quite honest, the more I think about it, the more I favour the re-introduction of fees. I would like to see it happening in conjunction with some system allowing those who cannot afford to pay them to borrow the money from the government, interest free, with some intelligent means-tested repayment system.

While not perfect (you can still get a degree then waste your life away and never be in a position to repay the cash), I do think its a better solution than any other I've heard proposed to date. It would need fine-tuning, to avoid government sponsorship of eternal students etc., but at its core I think its a feasible system.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've offended many of you who are, or will be students. Tough. I fully support your right to go to university, but I do not believe that it should be at the taxpayers' expense. If you cant afford to pay your way, then the government should loan you the money to pay your way, and you should repay it.

Of course, this probably isnt what will happen....which then leaves the issue of which of the available solutions is preferable. Here, Im not sure yet....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    I campaigned for free fee's and used to be a very active member of USI (quite a while ago) and I say free fee's dont work..
    I was on the executive of the UCD Students’ Union around that time and we had already figured out, in fairness, that it was a stupid idea - UCDSU was (one of) the only to oppose USIs pro-Free Fees stance.

The purpose of introducing free fees was ostensibly to open up third level education to potential students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Even if you considered that potential students from disadvantaged backgrounds were already receiving free fees, there was the reality that attitudes and not fees are the cause of the demographic bell curve in universities. The entire exercise was viewed as the rather idiotic brainchild by then minister of education Niamh Bhreathnach - who thankfully failed to get re-elected.

The only realistic reason for not re-introducing third level fees today is status quo, in particular that it would put at a disadvantage those families who had, upon the original introduction of free fees, channelled their college funds into private second level education, now placing them at a financial disadvantage. I’m not saying this is not a valid reason, btw.

Either way the government would want to act on this in this budget, so as to allow the political dust to settle by the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by daveirl
    I know people at the moment who completely scam the system in order to get a grant when they are no more entitled to it...

This is the major problem, that the deserving people don't get the grants and that many people who don't deserve them, screw the system to get them. I'd imagine this would only increase if there was a return to fees.
    This isn't a reason not to reintroduce fees. This is a reason to reform the grants system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

quote:
    I think this is basically forming an entire generation of people who won't vote for FF, because they made them have to work their asses off in college instead of enjoying it.

Its taken me a while to figure out what irks me about this suggestion....and its just come to me....

It took you a while to figure out what's wrong with that statement? Haven't you had the first coffee of the morning yet? :)

What's wrong with that statement is the typical student "why should I have to work" mentality, which seems to apply as much to their studies as to actually working their way through college. It's the childish, petulant attitude which treats university as a bit of a laugh and a holiday at the expense of the state and their parents. It's the kind of sickening bullsh1t which ensures that nobody gives a tuppenny damn about the students whinging about fees or whatever, because we know that this is the sort of rubbish they'll throw back at us.

You're not kids any more. You're allegedly adults. So you have to work. This isn't school; this is university, which is optional, and if you're not prepared to put in the effort required there - and I do mean WHATEVER IT TAKES - then there are plenty of jobs in McDonalds for you.

Not "enjoying" university indeed. The state isn't there to fund your entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Meh
    This isn't a reason not to reintroduce fees. This is a reason to reform the grants system.

The arguement for introducing third level fees and for taxing childens allowance are similar.

Do you think that the "well to do" should get Free third level fees?

I surpose - it all comes down to if the government can reform the system to the benefit of all.

What's wrong with that statement is the typical student "why should I have to work" mentality, which seems to apply as much to their studies as to actually working their way through college
    A good friend of mine works for a very big investment bank over here in London. They have always taken graduates from Ireland (he is one!) - taken the 6 or 7 they consider to be the cream of the crop..

This is the first year in the last 20 that they will not do it, as the people from the last few years, and the people they interviewed have been or come accross as lazy and not been that great at all..

Could this be that students are getting things handed to them on a plate, told the chapters to study and what chapters not to study and not have to worry about fee's and having to make a real effort?

Rob: You know your the exception rather than the rule in the case of students who are directly or indirectly dependent on their parents. I would say high 80's to early 90's percent of students are dependant on their parents.

Now if we can come up with a better way of ensuring that the childern of people who can afford to pay, pay and the children of people who cannot afford to pay dont then Im all ears :)

In my student union days we thought about maybe anyone who is on any form of social welfare (be that unemployment or widows pension type thing or whatever) should be free - but that discriminates against farmers, fishermen and people who get off their arse and do low paid work?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What's wrong with that statement is the typical student "why should I have to work" mentality, which seems to apply as much to their studies as to actually working their way through college. It's the childish, petulant attitude which treats university as a bit of a laugh and a holiday at the expense of the state and their parents. It's the kind of sickening bullsh1t which ensures that nobody gives a tuppenny damn about the students whinging about fees or whatever, because we know that this is the sort of rubbish they'll throw back at us.

I wont be treating university as a laugh, perhaps some will but thats the same with any system.
    I wouldnt have to work through college anyway since my parents would pay for it, since they value education over other things, since i'm a lucky ****.
    However this wouldnt apply to all people, and if we re introduced college fees less people would go to college, simply because they can't afford it.
    Yes if the government can introduce college loans, but that will mean you will have a huge debt hanging over you for the first 10 or so years of being in the workforce.
    If it ended up like the system in the UK, where the fee is the same for all colleges, then I think the system could work, but it would still mean some people wouldn't have the choices they could have with education.
    I think we can all agree we don't want a system like they have in the US.

You're not kids any more. You're allegedly adults. So you have to work. This isn't school; this is university, which is optional, and if you're not prepared to put in the effort required there - and I do mean WHATEVER IT TAKES - then there are plenty of jobs in McDonalds for you.

The point is that people should be putting their efforts into university, not into work. If fess are introduced it will result in people spending a majority of their time working, which will have a negative result on their studies.
    Not "enjoying" university indeed. The state isn't there to fund your entertainment.

No the state isn't there to fund your entertainment, it doesn't mean that it can't be a side effect of state funding.
    It increase the skill of the workforce, meaning more companies will continue to come into this country, supporting the economy.
    Free 3rd level education is good for the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by Cork
    The arguement for introducing third level fees and for taxing childens allowance are similar.

Do you think that the "well to do" should get Free third level fees?

I surpose - it all comes down to if the government can reform the system to the benefit of all.

I simply believe that it is unfair to charge one section for education while allowing another to receive it for free.

An even bigger problem is where do you draw the line? We are not talking about only rich and poor, and its foolish to believe that it's that simple. There is a third group. The people on the means-test (and don't get me started on means-testing) borderline are the ones who ALWAYS suffer.

Free education is an enlightened policy. The frightening statictics showing that huge numbers of students have to work their way through college mixed with the unbelieveable drop-out rates has, in my opinion, demonstrated that, even with free fees, many students simply cannot afford to go to college. And you know what's going to suffer - the college work.

Advertisement