Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for a 6 year old

• 24-02-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

My 6 year old nephew is coming to stay this weekend and I was hoping to pick up a PS3 or Xbox game that he can play while he's here. I'm wondering what sort of games might be suitable for him? He has a Wii at home and is a pretty nifty Mario Kart player and he's also played some driving games here before (like Blur). I was thinking though that perhaps I should broaden his horizons a little into a different type of game rather than just racers.

Does anyone have any ideas of games that are suitable for a six-year old? Suitable both in terms of content and are also reasonably straight forward that he won't find frustrating to play. I'm looking for proper titles also, rather than going down the route of making him play cheap shovelware games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Any of the Lego games would be suitable and they all have co-op too, so you can join in with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

+1 on the Lego games, they are great with drop in/out co-op. Disney universe , little big planet and castle crashers are good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

GTA IV:pac:

Nah, but if you have a PC too Plants vs Zombies is certainly fine content-wise.

Not sure if he'd have the patience to stick it out though. If he doesn't like it trust me, you will.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Lego games again, great in co-op and feature simple problem solving.

I recently got my 6yo son DeBlob 2 (€10 in HMV) for PS3 and he loves that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sonic Generations would be a good investment too imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pokepark for the wii.

It's a sandbox open world game so no getting stuck on a level without any option other than to do it, can go around an try other games.

Also they're pokemon and everything is in pokemon language with subtitles, so when a pokemon says something they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just go into Game or Gamestop to the 2nd hand Wii section and 80% of the games there are for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1 on Lego games.

Get rayman origins too, fun for him and fun for you when he will be done!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Why are people recommending Wii games or to pick up a Wii? Did you read the original post? He wants an xbox or PS3 game is all. Not a console or a game from a console he doesn't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tintin and any of the ratchet and clank games are popular with my kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

+100000 for Rayman Origins. It's utterly fantastic and as ShadowHearth said, both of you will enjoy the hell out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

as already said ratchet and clank for the ps3, rayman or any of the Lego games,

my 6 year old loves Lego batman and theres enough in it that you'll enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Little Big Planet 1 or 2 for the PS3. Kids love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lego Harry Potter 2 all the way.

Rayman as mentioned is excellent, and you would definitely play it yourself when he's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Lego games, my 5 year old is obsessed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Gonna pop in and buy whatever lego games I can get my hands on, sounds like a popular choice, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Anything with Sonic.
    Mario games
    Rayman
    Plants vs Zombies
    Spiderman (seems to be a big deal with all the year olds)

there are many games in all these francises and most are perfect for young kids, if your son is a little more advanced than the average 6 year old then maybe Car games.

My 6 year old really likes Split Second and Burnout Paradise city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Anything with Sonic.
    Mario games
    Rayman
    Plants vs Zombies
    Spiderman(seems to be a big deal with all the year olds)

there are many games in all these francises and most are perfect for young kids, if your son is a little more advanced than the average 6 year old then maybe Car games.

My 6 year old really likes Split Second and Burnout Paradise city at the moment

Does it mean I have the mind of a 6 year old if I still play these games? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Viva Pinata games for the 360 are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Saw a guy in Gamestop today asking the staff to recommend a good game for a 6 year old, the dad said the games he is playing at the moment are Call of Duty and Gears of war and the father want to get his son off them, so out of all the games in the store the father could ask about..he picked up GTA and asked "is this one alright for the wee lad?" The staff member stopped for a moment and then told the guy that that was the worst game for a six year old they had:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Saw a guy in Gamestop today asking the staff to recommend a good game for a 6 year old, the dad said the games he is playing at the moment are Call of Duty and Gears of war and the father want to get his son off them, so out of all the games in the store the father could ask about..he picked up GTA and asked "is this one alright for the wee lad?" The staff member stopped for a moment and then told the guy that that was the worst game for a six year old they had:p

fair play to staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sonic Allstar Racing is a good choice,or Uncharted 1 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Uncharted 1 and 2 are both 15 certificate. The first one has undead descendants in it, second one has scary looking guardian fellas. Smattering of swearing, people getting shot etc. Great games but not for 6 year old I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Uncharted 1 and 2 are both 15 certificate. The first one has undead descendants in it, second one has scary looking guardian fellas. Smattering of swearing, people getting shot etc. Great games but not for 6 year old I don't think.

Good point:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Isn't there a minecraftclone of some description on xbla?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

dooferoaks wrote: »

Each situation and child are different,

I have 2 7 & 8 year old boys who really loved UC2 & UC3, its one of the only "older games" their mam or I would allow them play.... fair enough Drake says shìt enough times throughout both games but they know its a bad word and only grown ups are allowed say it....

It's the Indiana Jones for our generation of games in my opinion and they had great craic solving the puzzles throughout the games...

As I said though, every parent/guardian is different....

And of course its up to us to decide are certain games suitable, I wouldn't be letting them on GTA4, put it that way!

Advertisement