Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Swap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭okedoke

I'd be up for getting a round of them started - once this one is done I'll post pictures of the 5 flies and someone can start a new swap.

steve

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭jack01986

Will post them on monday have been busy with work etc. Hopefully they wont be too late Ive got them all tied up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

okedoke wrote: »
    Excellent - What did Mick tie?

Steve

A cream &olive bob fly - should be useful around mayfly time. I think he did them on size 14 as well.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ye can count me in for next time. The tying gear needs a dusting off as its usually seatrout patterns I tie when they start running but I could offer up medicines or teal blue etc.
    If we're doing sea trout flies next time stick me down for Peter Ross. I can host if nobody has any objections?

A cream &olive bob fly - should be useful around mayfly time. I think he did them on size 14 as well.

cheers list updated.

I'd definately join your sea-trout swap. Would have to find a sea trout fly I could tie with my trout and salt-water stuff though - suggestions welcome.

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dody

I'm posting mine on monday morning so they should arrive next day.
    wouldn't mind having a go at a seatrout fly next- i'll look for a fly i can tie with the trout gear .
    Yank_in_eire , i'd have no problem with you hosting the next round:)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

This looks like a bit of craic.Count me in for the next one.My tying isn't all that good but I'd like to give this a lash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

By the way,I don't have gear to tie flies for sea or salmon fishing,Only trout I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

zziplex wrote: »
    Maybe a saltwater one next time. I could knock up something basic for that.

^^^ Zziplex was first to mention the next theme so perhaps go with that before the seatrout? I don't want to jump in ahead of anyone. I only mentioned seatrout as it is usually those patterns that I tie.
    If we're doing sea trout flies next time stick me down for Peter Ross. I can host if nobody has any objections?

Shur who'd object ? :D Throw me down for a Medicine. Simplicity and deadly!
    I'd definately join your sea-trout swap. Would have to find a sea trout fly I could tie with my trout and salt-water stuff though - suggestions welcome.

Silver Doctor (trout)? A fantastic little seatrout pattern and basic enough material.

SeaFields wrote: »
    ^^^ Zziplex was first to mention the next theme so perhaps go with that before the seatrout? I don't want to jump in ahead of anyone. I only mentioned seatrout as it is usually those patterns that I tie.

That's a fair point - will we hold off on the sea trout until next round then? I'll still host that one if somebody wants to take the saltwater - and put me down for a crease herring for that one. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fish boy

I have tied the cream and olive Bob fly on a size 12.
    I'm a beginner so don't expect much!

Fish boy wrote: »
    I have tied the cream and olive Bob fly on a size 12.
    I'm a beginner so don't expect much!

Glad you made it fish boy!:rolleyes:

That's a fair point - will we hold off on the sea trout until next round then? I'll still host that one if somebody wants to take the saltwater - and put me down for a crease herring for that one. ;-)

Yeah, thats only fair. I have never really tied saltwater patterns. Certainly not while following a specific dressing. I could have a go anyway. Any suggestions for a pattern would be welcome? And the best hooks to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Im not the best when It comes to organising these things but by all means If there is someone hosting a saltwater fly swap Ill participate to make up numbers If nothing else. Im waiting on materials But I could knock up a few clouster minnows no problem. I think it would be different.

I've got all the flies now - I will photo them at home this evening and post tomorrow.

1) Okedoke....................Large Dark Olive Klinkhammer.........tied
    2) Yank in Eire................Blae and Black.............rec'd
    3) Dody.................copper headed ptn........rec'd
    4) Jack01986.................Elk Hair Sedge..............rec'd
    5)Fishboy .................Cream & Olive Bob Fly..............rec'd

flies look excellent folks - looking forward to trying them out.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭jack01986

I'll join in the next fly swap dont really mind what it is to be honest. Could do some deciever patterns if its saltwater.

The photo's don't do the flies justice.
    All flies posted out today.
    Great swap - looking forward to the next one.
    Picture008-1.jpg
    Picture006-1.jpg
    Picture005-1.jpg
    Picture004-1.jpg
    Picture009-1.jpg

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I'll hop into the next one as well. Can tie anything really, but would generally focus on nymphs etc. Maybe one each of pheasant tail nymph and a golden olive bumble?

Some nice looking flies there- what's the next swap going to be?

I've no preference - I'll join anyway if someone organises it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i will join the next one

I've no preference - I'll join anyway if someone organises it
    I can tie in a hospital bed but getting out to post stuff will be a problem so i'll have to take a backseat and let somebody else organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

hope you get better soon Yank!
    hope it's not flytying related?

hope you get better soon Yank!
    hope it's not flytying related?
    Luckily no! Tying is the only thing keeping me sane right now while i'm cooped up in here. My fly box will be stuffed to the gills if this keeps up.

I can organise this one if no one else is minds?

Can everyone who is willing to tie a saltwater pattern post it by the end of this week so we got an idea of numbers.

I'll copy a pattern I bought in a tackle shop. Not sure of the name but i think its a sprat pattern. Could someone else who normally does tie saltwater patterns recommend the best hooks to tie on (for those of us, myself included, that dont know :o)

We'll aim to have this swap finished by end of March and I believe in April its a sea trout fly we'll tie.

I use mostly Mustad 34007. It's a standard salty fly hook and should be easily available. Partridge sea prince and mustad 10827BLN hoodlums are also good. Gamakatsu are some of the best but difficult to find. The only thing that really matters is whether the hook is corrosion resistant or not so look for either stainless steel or tin-plated. I'll tie some polar fibre baitfish since i owe okedoke a few anyway! ;-)

Ill give this a pop,

Put me down to tie clouster minnows on either mustad S71S SS or C7OS D.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fish boy

Put me down for the salty swap too. Don't know what to tie yet, looking for an easyone as i'm only starting out. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hope all is well Yank!

Fish boy wrote: »
    Put me down for the salty swap too. Don't know what to tie yet, looking for an easyone as i'm only starting out. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hope all is well Yank!

Hi fishboy, Basic sw patterns would be rays fly,clousters,half and halfs,gartside gurglers,easy shrimps,surf candys etc....

• Advertisement

zziplex wrote: »
    Hi fishboy, Basic sw patterns would be rays fly,clousters,half and halfs,gartside gurglers,easy shrimps,surf candys etc....

I'll tie some gurglers

Advertisement