Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I hate about UPC Television

• 02-08-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

So I've had UPC this past 6 months after being a Sky TV customer. Below is a list (not in comparison to Sky) of what really get's on my nerves about the UPC Set Top Box.
    1. Poor Remote-Control Strength - even with new batteries the remote needs to be pointed directly at the box in order to work.
    2. Cheap remote control - almost all I pick up have things broken inside and rattling about and really does look and feel 'cheap'
    3. Layout and ergonomics of Remote control - can't tell if it's up or down or what in the dark and always find myself having to 'look' at the remote to see what's going on, also buttons are really uncomfortable to use and reach.
    4. Slow loading of the TV Guide - three to five seconds is just too long to be waiting around for the guide, when scrolling down the guide the listings are always playing catch-up and leaves for a very slow clunky experience.
    5. 'Go To Info Channel' Bug - Sometimes when I hit the 'volume up' button on the Remote it will flash up '5', then hiccup and go to the 'UPC Info Channel'...VERY ANNOYING
    6. 'The OMG You Pressed The Guide Button TWICE!' Bug - press it twice, three seconds later the guide begins to load...two seconds later the box thinks about things and knocks the guide off - two seconds later the box has another think and then as if it just realizes that you might actually want to see the guide it brings the Guide BACK UP and begins to load (a mouth-full sorry, but also VERY ANNOYING!)

Im sure if I sat here longer I could list off a million reason why I hate UPC...anyone else this pissed off with this box of clunky indecisive garbage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

YES!! I am... The remote control is a cheap heap of junk, hense why you have to point it directly in front of the box!

What really pisses me off about UPC is when I'm scrolling through the quick guide, if I scroll say from RTE1 to RTE2 and so on, sometimes the programmes from the 1st channel are then showing for every channel so half the time I don't know what programmes are on!!!

Then there are the times it just freezes for no reason, and then cuts out, and takes about 2 mins for it to reload itself... By the time the guide is loaded you could have ran to the shop, bought the paper and checked the guide in that instead..

Sky is much better, I'm only with UPC for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All valid concerns me thinks. I would say if they charged you for the actual box and didnt take it back after contract is up then they would probably get better equipment.

I used to hate my UPC box tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The remote blows, the struggle to change a channel or get a response is dismal.

I don't even try to use the guide. Takes way too long to load, and scrolling though it is a challenge due to the poor responsiveness of the button presses on the remote.

And the random power cycles that it goes through as well are a pain. This is the one I have

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=102496.0;attach=79512;image

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

listermint wrote: »
    All valid concerns me thinks. I would say if they charged you for the actual box and didnt take it back after contract is up then they would probably get better equipment.

...not sure if it is the equipment tbh, it seems more like whoever designed and coded the firmware on the box was fresh out of tha luney bin or playschool:P

@Jonny Drama - it's quicker if you unplug the box when it freezes like that...flucking redonkulious I know...

Whats up with mine anyway - I mean...I went on the website there and seen a lovely black sleek lookin machine, when I opened the box during my 'self installation service < LoL' I saw they sent me a silver VCR...that's not right, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

I have the HD box and low and behold the remote on this also is
    a bag of sh*te.

Non responsive isnt the word, I would say an old 1980's tv remote would work quicker, shocking in this day and age.

I have had to change the box twice already so I am on my 3rd box and we are paying money every month for this.

but as previously suggested its the price and content you get for your money thats the key to staying with them.

4 simple reasons why for us:
    • 1 Bill - 1 Direct Debit
    • HD Content for only €5 a month
    • ESPN/HD and Setanta/HD without having to get sky sports
    • Broadband and Calls as well
    Sky should consider partnering with Eircom/Vodafone like they do with BT
    if they want to corner more of the market, obvioulsy not that bothered about Irish customers even though they are setting up a new call centre here, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

listermint wrote: »

That'd be a bad move. New customers would be left shouldering the cost of two or three boxes on install (maybe up to €800) and would be left with useless equipment when they cancelled. I'm not sure anyone would really benefit.

I'm not a big fan of the black remote either (though it is better than the small grey remotes NTL were supplying in later days). I don't mind the grey UPC remote. The channel changing bug is extremely annoying, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is this just my hd box - when you are rewinding or forwarding and then press play it jumps forward a few seconds first i.e. never plays exactly from where you stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Is this just my hd box - when you are rewinding or forwarding and then press play it jumps forward a few seconds first i.e. never plays exactly from where you stop?

It's not just your box. Ours does the same and it can be very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Mellio wrote: »
    Sky should consider partnering with Eircom/Vodafone like they do with BT
    if they want to corner more of the market, obvioulsy not that bothered about Irish customers even though they are setting up a new call centre here, time will tell.

http://siliconrepublic.com/reports/item/28529-sky-broadband-and-sky-talk/
    Sky Broadband and Sky Talk will be offering services across Ireland from later this year after the broadcaster struck a wholesale deal with BT Ireland. The move will see employment increase to 900 people at Sky’s operations in Ireland.

The move means thousands of consumers across Ireland will be able to unite their Sky TV services with a range of telecoms and broadband packages from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 bayou

I'm a recent convert to UPC after 20 years of Sky. Initially, I just got the broadband, then added the HD box.

Its very slow to choose channels comparted to Sky and I get frequent picture freezes (one just before the 100m Final last night). But its way cheaper than Sky so I'll put up with it.

One thing that REALLY annoys me is the blanket advertising for 'On Demand' TV, the box sets and so on.

NOTE TO UPC....It DOESN'T work in Navan, and no one can tell me when it does. I'm sure its probably Dublin only at the moment and is bordering on false advertising to keep plugging it as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

bayou wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to UPC after 20 years of Sky. Initially, I just got the broadband, then added the HD box.

Its very slow to choose channels comparted to Sky and I get frequent picture freezes (one just before the 100m Final last night). But its way cheaper than Sky so I'll put up with it.

One thing that REALLY annoys me is the blanket advertising for 'On Demand' TV, the box sets and so on.

NOTE TO UPC....It DOESN'T work in Navan, and no one can tell me when it does. I'm sure its probably Dublin only at the moment and is bordering on false advertising to keep plugging it as they do.

...you think the adverts for 'On Demand TV' annoy you! My stupid bloody box keeps going to that stupid 'Info Channel' (the one where On Demand TV is advertised 24/7) 5 out of 10 times I press the volume up button!

...anywho, a little birdie told me Sky are entering the home BB market here in Ireland later this year - as I've no interest in Setanta I'll more than likely burn and dance on the UPC box when that happens :)

So far today, (its now 6.20pm), I've had 4 picture freezes, mostly during the Olympic coverage.

The latest one has been there for 5 minutes and even unplugging the power lead has not brought back a picture.

Getting really pissed off now, this rarely, if ever, happened with Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Have had to change 3 hd boxes so far with a 4th on the horizon (after 2 yrs) The image starts to pixelate, starts to lose channels one by one. Their boxes are crap. There is a lag on their remote, press it a couple of times and you will move passed the channel you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

ALL of those bugs are why I refuse to get UPC. Tried it at a neighbour's place a few times. No way.

Rang UPC. Got nowhere. The guy was not hearing me when I said the house was unoccupied during the day, kept trying to arrange a service visit between 9 and 1 on Wednesday.

I hung up and fiddled with the box/connections myself. I was worried when I got the sound from Sky Sports on RTE 1, but it has eventually sorted itself out ....for now.

No doubt it'll go wallop again during the Olympics later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have one of the box/remotes for my bedroom that only works at night if you turn the room light on...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

CSU wrote: »
    So I've had UPC this past 6 months after being a Sky TV customer. Below is a list (not in comparison to Sky) of what really get's on my nerves about the UPC Set Top Box.
    1. Poor Remote-Control Strength - even with new batteries the remote needs to be pointed directly at the box in order to work.
    2. Cheap remote control - almost all I pick up have things broken inside and rattling about and really does look and feel 'cheap'
    3. Layout and ergonomics of Remote control - can't tell if it's up or down or what in the dark and always find myself having to 'look' at the remote to see what's going on, also buttons are really uncomfortable to use and reach.
    4. Slow loading of the TV Guide - three to five seconds is just too long to be waiting around for the guide, when scrolling down the guide the listings are always playing catch-up and leaves for a very slow clunky experience.
    5. 'Go To Info Channel' Bug - Sometimes when I hit the 'volume up' button on the Remote it will flash up '5', then hiccup and go to the 'UPC Info Channel'...VERY ANNOYING
    6. 'The OMG You Pressed The Guide Button TWICE!' Bug - press it twice, three seconds later the guide begins to load...two seconds later the box thinks about things and knocks the guide off - two seconds later the box has another think and then as if it just realizes that you might actually want to see the guide it brings the Guide BACK UP and begins to load (a mouth-full sorry, but also VERY ANNOYING!)

Im sure if I sat here longer I could list off a million reason why I hate UPC...anyone else this pissed off with this box of clunky indecisive garbage?

Yes the remote is junk but I got an all for one/one for all remote in power city and it works a treat.
    The new Horizon box coming early next year (fingers crossed) will be a monumental improvement on the current box(es).

Picture froze twice tonight. I missed the Michael Conlon fight as a result, and now its gone wallop again.

Seriously considering telling UPC to come and collect this heap of junk, its just not good enough.

I've had more problems in two months than in 20 years with Sky.

One further gripe. I opted for the HD box, but UPC DONT supply Sky Sports in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Mine has never frozen once on, but sometimes when I plug in the TV and box in the morning the box refuses to switch on no matter how close you hold the remote to it, mess with various buttons etc... just flat out refuses and usually have to turn it off at the wall and start again

also get the random channel 100 visits and the dreaded '5'

another bug-bear is trying to solve record time overlap conflicts, should be a one button fix but instead you have to go into the guide or 'my tv planner'

still, overall great value with the broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

bayou wrote: »
    Picture froze twice tonight. I missed the Michael Conlon fight as a result, and now its gone wallop again.

Seriously considering telling UPC to come and collect this heap of junk, its just not good enough.

I've had more problems in two months than in 20 years with Sky.

One further gripe. I opted for the HD box, but UPC DONT supply Sky Sports in HD

Sky won't let UPC carry their HD channels because it's the main reason a lot of people still subscribe to Sky,if they did a good amount of their customers would switch to UPC because it's cheaper.

It's clear on the UPC site that they don't offer any of the Sky channels in HD,it pays to do your homework when signing up for these services because the sales staff will tell you anything to make a sale.

http://www.upc.ie/television/hd/

OK, UPC, you have had your chance, Two more freezes in the last hour.

Ringing in the morning to cancel the contract. No doubt I'll meet with the '12 month deal' crap, you can't leave.

If that happens, I'm straight onto Comreg, Maybe if they spent some of their advertising budget on equipment that actually works.......

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

It is very difficult to control the radio channels without having the tv on as the UPC screen indicates 'Radio' only, not channels.
    My stb (Cisco 8485) is conected to an amp as I find BBC + RTE Lyric fm
    sound better this way compared to using a Roberts internet radio.
    If turned off the box defaults to last played tv channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

johnner09 wrote: »
    please god let the price wars begin:(

They'll be using Eircoms Cable, so no competition. Untill they lay there own fibre or Eircom roll out fibre they'll be no where near as good as UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

SteM wrote: »

Yes will be interesting to see what kind of packages they offer.

Does anyone know what BT Irelands Boradband and phone package is currently like?

B/Band Speed
    Telephone offerings

Anyway we shall see in th future I guess.

Still cant see me giving up on UPC purely becuase you cant get ESPN/HD on sky unless you have the sports or pay €16 a month, robbery whne UPC can include as part of some of the basic packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

I've a harmony one remote and it solves the first few issues. Not a cheap solution though.

As said above Sky's TV is better but UPC package is better overall and I think it will stay that way even when sky launch their triple play packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fishfortwo

Sky won't let UPC carry their HD channels because it's the main reason a lot of people still subscribe to Sky,if they did a good amount of their customers would switch to UPC because it's cheaper.

It's clear on the UPC site that they don't offer any of the Sky channels in HD,it pays to do your homework when signing up for these services because the sales staff will tell you anything to make a sale.

http://www.upc.ie/television/hd/

They don't offer them currently.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭mollser

I received a marketing call about this.

The mass market package i was asked about was this:

€67.50 for 75 tv channels, 16mb broadband and 300 minutes of national landline calls.

i don't think its great compared to upc who,for an extra few Euro give double the channels, including espn and Setanta Ireland, double the broadband, free analogue multiroom and cheaper hd (albeit pretty crap compared to sky).

i don't know, its a good price point for sky, but not for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The EPG/Guide is my single biggest problem with me. It's either horrifically unoptimised, or the processing power of the boxes is just farcical.

It's extremely slow, clunky, unresponsive, bug-ridden, & an absolute and total put off to use. I never use the guide because it's unuseable really.

I remember using certain Nokia dvb-c recievers nearly ten years ago which ran on a linux platform & they walked all over the UPC experience. Shocking stuff. The phone & broadband though is matched by nobody else though so what can you do :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I used to be a NTL customer for telly, ditched for an FTV/saorview mix. My sisters family had Sky for years but they've gone UPC mainly for its "triple play" aspect but as a tv service is really is poor stuff even for the price (the remote/EPG would put me off on its own). You'd really need to be a sport fan I think.

Advertisement