Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Development 2014

• 29-01-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has any idea whether we'll see plans for the following emerge this year:

Redeveloped pier A
    Redeveloped pier B
    New pier F

In DAAs strategy for 2010-2014 they state that €7million will be allocated for the planning of the above piers, so that as soon as the need arises for the new piers planning will already be in place. They reckon the piers will be need 2015-2019.

I've attached their masterplan, my sketch of it (as you can see I'm not artist!) and their summary of the development of the new piers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

They seem to have completely left out one vital ingredient from the mixture. Anyone else care to guess what it is, LOL?.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dubdaymo wrote: »
    They seem to have completely left out one vital ingredient from the mixture. Anyone else care to guess what it is, LOL?.

Cargo? Wouldn't pier F be built over the current cargo facilities at 411-414?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

dubdaymo wrote: »

Lack of ambition, foresight or money?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So many things missing

Cargo parking and ramp space to work on the aircraft, it's not just a box to put the aircraft in, a large cargo aircraft needs a lot of pallet dollies, and they don't stack vertically.

Space for all the other things that have to be put somewhere airside, like steps for the rear door, baggage containers, stuff like that.

General Aviation (biz jets etc) stands and access

Remote parking to put things on that are not needed for some while, like standby aircraft.

Usual DAA nonsense, the way they "extended" T1 from an operational aspect was a shambles, whoever designed it had never moved a suitcase or a container of bags in their life, and it was and is a total disaster to operate in a high volume environment, and if a special requirement flight like an Israeli aircraft is coming in, the whole thing becomes a nightmare because of the way that the baggage hall doesn't work.

The landside access is still the disastrous split level no brain nonsense of the set down road that's full of pedestrians so doesn't flow, and nowhere to do a quick pick up of passengers that have arrived,

Lack of imagination, lack of foresight, lack of awareness of what the customer wants.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Irish Steve has just about summed up the DAA in a few sentences. Total incompetence and a lack of any knowledge of how to run an airport. The omission I was referring to was the crosswind runway. The need to have one at DUB was never more demonstrated than in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

It's great that we have so many aviation experts in this country who are more than willing to offer their expertise to the daa. While building terminal 2 they were quick to point out that it was too big and not needed at the time but the daa went ahead and built anyway. Which is lucky as it is completely full with all the new routes running from Dublin over the summer. The same blind ignorance is leading them down the road of looking to plan for expansion again using current real estate resources but maybe their dumb luck will strike again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I see people are still reading and believing Michael O'Leary's Old testament.

Don't ya know he's turned the page, and is an all round nice guy now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

What happened to Pier C?

If it went ahead as per the sketch they would have to re letter them, Its shocking.

What happened to Pier C?

If it went ahead as per the sketch they would have to re letter them, Its shocking.

That gets me onto the next point. How old is this document?? daa have renamed the Piers 1,2,3,4 now. A, B, D, E are a thing of the past

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

flanzer wrote: »
    That gets me onto the next point. How old is this document?? daa have renamed the Piers 1,2,3,4 now. A, B, D, E are a thing of the past

The plan in the 2nd link above is at least 4-5 years old. I saw it around the time T2 was competed. It was part of a section entitled "Dublin Airport 2035".

291351.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Tenger wrote: »
    The plan in the 2nd link above is at least 4-5 years old. I saw it around the time T2 was competed. It was part of a section entitled "Dublin Airport 2035".

291351.jpg

Wasn't actually aware that the piers had been renamed, it makes sense that they would do that though.

Although the document is from 2009, it was post crash so has factored this in surely?

The terminals are starting to get busier, and this summer they should definitely be very busy with all the new routes. Personally I think it would be a step in the right direction for them to begin planning airport expansion so that when need it will have a much shorter lead in time.

However I think that they should also be looking to get maximum efficiencies from the infrastructure they have at present before they begin expanding.

I agree that 'Pier F' is in an awful position and would require the cargo facilities to be moved, however I can't see a better alternative, ideally T2 wouldn't have been built where it is. I guess DAA now how to make the most of its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wasn't actually aware that the piers had been renamed, it makes sense that they would do that though.

It does and it doesn't. Studies have shown that passengers find it easier to recognise gate numbers with a letter and a number instead of a number. D10 to 101. It may not be such an issue at DUB but at major international airports they have/are changing to letter/number style.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

The landside access is still the disastrous split level no brain nonsense of the set down road that's full of pedestrians so doesn't flow, and nowhere to do a quick pick up of passengers that have arrived,

The problem with having an area for "quick pickups" of passengers is that you get the five minute brigade taking it over and ending up sitting there for 20 minutes. It also leads to people stopping and waiting for a space to come free and clog up the approach road and that will delay everyone and is just dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

The problem with having an area for "quick pickups" of passengers is that you get the five minute brigade taking it over and ending up sitting there for 20 minutes. It also leads to people stopping and waiting for a space to come free and clog up the approach road and that will delay everyone and is just dangerous.

I agree fully. Look at most car parks where parent and child and disabled spaces are used by people who have neither a child or a disabled person in the car, who consider those spaces are there purely for their convenience to run into the shop for "5mins".

Dublin airport is drastically short of wide body stands and even those at T2 double job as two narrow body stands. So when a non Aer Lingus US arrival lands or Etihad in the morning they have to wait sometimes up to an hour for a stand.

Unfortunately T2 is too popular with the majors as very few if any heavies go to T1 leaving plenty of space over there. The DAA may have to look at encouraging some to move but I doubt that will happen.

Dublin airport is drastically short of wide body stands and even those at T2 double job as two narrow body stands. So when a non Aer Lingus US arrival lands or Etihad in the morning they have to wait sometimes up to an hour for a stand.

Unfortunately T2 is too popular with the majors as very few if any heavies go to T1 leaving plenty of space over there. The DAA may have to look at encouraging some to move but I doubt that will happen.

USPC.....

The problem with T2 is scheduling and airlines coming in up to an hour early is not the daa's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

If runway 11/29 ever gets redeveloped will that the the end of 16/34. It looks like that from the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

urajoke wrote: »

DAA didn't give the majors a choice of terminals, they told them it was T2 and that was it, a couple of the US companies and even Etihad asked for Terminal 1, Pier B but cause its cheaper charges but DAA refused

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Wasn't actually aware that the piers had been renamed, it makes sense that they would do that.

The piers weren't renamed, they are still known as Pier A, B, E and D on official documents, its only on the inside that the gates were renamed from Letter/Number to just numbers.

billie1b wrote: »
    DAA didn't give the majors a choice of terminals, they told them it was T2 and that was it, a couple of the US companies and even Etihad asked for Terminal 1, Pier B but cause its cheaper charges but DAA refused

There is no difference in charges for B and E piers.....

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is no difference in charges for B and E piers.....

Not anymore, it was all amended in 2013, there used to be differences between Terminal 1 and 2, now they just charge per wide body, narrow body and so on so forth

Not anymore, it was all amended in 2013, there used to be differences between Terminal 1 and 2, now they just charge per wide body, narrow body and so on so forth

Never a difference, CAR ruled on that and carriers wouldn't move to T2 if pricing was different.

See CAR docs about it.

The piers weren't renamed, they are still known as Pier A, B, E and D on official documents, its only on the inside that the gates were renamed from Letter/Number to just numbers.

I can tell you now that they were changed

Let's look at a recent stand definition document shall we.......

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=bbXqUovOD47T7AbX8oDYCg&url=http://www.dublinairport.com/Libraries/Airport_Charges/STAND_DEFINITION_TABLE_SEPTEMBER_2013_1.sflb.ashx&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHOUIbseILPhMKvY2fCSmYn8WHWVw

So which is it then? I'm lost.

Where on earth do you get your information?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    USPC.....

The problem with T2 is scheduling and airlines coming in up to an hour early is not the daa's fault.

What's USPC sorry? I tried googling it.

And yes, they do turn up early but the number of times they have to wait on one or both aircraft with slots is stupid. I don't blame the DAA but the lack of wide body stands at T2 is very evident most mornings.

I'm sure the scheduling is fine as you say it's the aircraft arriving early with the jet streams that is the problem and the DAA hasn't enough stands to shuffle around to accommodate the early aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

urajoke wrote: »
    What's USPC sorry? I tried googling it.

United States Preclearance.

flanzer wrote: »

Nice! I really have to start reading memos instead of just signing them :D

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭stopthepanic

You might want to, see post 29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

if a special requirement flight like an Israeli aircraft is coming in, the whole thing becomes a nightmare because of the way that the baggage hall doesn't work.

Can someone explain this? What special arrangements do Israeli flights need?

Advertisement