Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Fair enough, wouldn't know as much as yourself but those MYGica products do get good reviews on the forums, the MYGica 510B works great for myself, have had very little issues with it so I would highly recommend it and its a very decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

What happened?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Well that escalated quickly...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Jibberish .

If you're anything to go by it's not a wonder. Too many people involved in those forums you mentioned are the reason many stay away.

Too wrapped up in your own cráp, missing the obvious.
    And it's a pity.

Keep watching all the decent forums to post smarmy comments, while you all implode.

As for the 'best' box/stick. The best answer for me is the one with the biggest community with continual support, and with the most compatible XBMC builds. Many of the devices are identical, just rebranded and with different cases.
    For example the Minix NEO-G4 and MK808b are the same to all intents and purposes. (I mentioned those two because they have come up a bit in this thread.)

Ouya is a great box, but it's not ready yet. Many will argue about that, and that it's the same with many other devices, but the price is much greater for the Ouya (If you just want XBMC).
    XBMC isn't finished yet for Android, and with so many devices/platforms, ROMS, builds of each ROM and Codecs streaming, it will be a while before it is. Although it is moving much much closer.
    The best device is imho any one that has 'good enough' spec, a decent rom, a good community and XBMC builds that are always being worked on.
    Especially if there is customised ROM for that device, for that particular reason.

For example there is (For the two mentioned above) the MK808B_digitopMod_MINIX_NEO-G4_port(0730)_Sep2013 , it's not perfect, very close :), and there is a new one coming out in weeks.
    With others working on their own versions.

That alone would make them both good devices, in my opinion. But better specs are available for similar prices, I was just pointing at an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

I pulled the trigger on the Mk808b simply because it's so popular and quite cheap these days. If I like what I see then I'll have another dip at something more pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I thought I already posted this.

But which would be better?

The MK908II or the CX919?

I'd be looking to turn it into a media centre/gaming console, if that's even possible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Allyall wrote: »
    As for the 'best' box/stick. The best answer for me is the one with the biggest community with continual support, and with the most compatible XBMC builds. Many of the devices are identical, just rebranded and with different cases.
    For example the Minix NEO-G4 and MK808b are the same to all intents and purposes. (I mentioned those two because they have come up a bit in this thread.)

Ouya is a great box, but it's not ready yet. Many will argue about that, and that it's the same with many other devices, but the price is much greater for the Ouya (If you just want XBMC).
    XBMC isn't finished yet for Android, and with so many devices/platforms, ROMS, builds of each ROM and Codecs streaming, it will be a while before it is. Although it is moving much much closer.
    The best device is imho any one that has 'good enough' spec, a decent rom, a good community and XBMC builds that are always being worked on.
    Especially if there is customised ROM for that device, for that particular reason.

For example there is (For the two mentioned above) the MK808B_digitopMod_MINIX_NEO-G4_port(0730)_Sep2013 , it's not perfect, very close :), and there is a new one coming out in weeks.

That alone would make them both good devices, in my opinion. But better specs are available for similar prices, I was just pointing at an example.

Thanks for your post.

Would be very grateful if you would let me know when the new one comes out in a couple of weeks that you have referred to in your post please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Blade wrote: »
    Looks like he's doubling his money. For less than a fiver more (or maybe even cheaper if you pay in USD) you can get the 5 set bundle listed here:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html

* Tronsmart MK908II RK3188 Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz Google Android 4.2 Mini TV BOX 2G/8G BT External Wifi Antenna-Black 53.99
    * Tronsmart TSM01 English Version Air Mouse + Keyboard for TV Box / PC / Motion Sensing Games EUR 14.34
    * High Speed 7 Ports Expanded USB 2.0 Hub with On/Off Switch for Laptop Notebook Computer EUR 4.93
    * NEW G910 Wireless BT Gamepad Game Controller for Android TV BOX/Mini PC/Smartphone/Tablet PC + IOS supported EUR 21.44
    * Brand Logitech C170 Setup 5 Mega Pixel Wired Camera USB Webcam Web Camera w/Mic----Black EUR 18.74

Went with this today minus the camera so thanks for the advice. By the way, are the macbook chargers on geekbuying worth it for a spare or should I look elsewhere?

sweetie wrote: »
    Went with this today minus the camera so thanks for the advice. By the way, are the macbook chargers on geekbuying worth it for a spare or should I look elsewhere?

Would be grateful if you can let us know how long it takes to arrive and if u get hit with any customs please

• Advertisement

For anybody using xbmc I would recommend adding the tvguide dixie repo under xfinity, I did it today and I have found in brilliant so far ( albeit takes a while to get all channels set up etc )

Is that not just the TVGuide addon that some bloke has just customised (set up a few different xmls, logos etc?). Absolutely amazing!!! :rolleyes: I just don't understand why people install stuff like this. It's far more rewarding to set it up yourself to your personal tastes.

VanZan wrote: »
    Is that not just the TVGuide addon that some bloke has just customised (set up a few different xmls, logos etc?). Absolutely amazing!!! :rolleyes: I just don't understand why people install stuff like this. It's far more rewarding to set it up yourself to your personal tastes.

Never used the other TVGuide one so can't comment , could you watch channels on old guide also

campo wrote: »
    For anybody using xbmc I would recommend adding the tvguide dixie repo under xfinity, I did it today and I have found in brilliant so far ( albeit takes a while to get all channels set up etc )

That will not be going NEAR any android device i own or help set up. Nothing to do with any installer and most definitely not anything to do with Xfinity.

Especially when it's easy to make your own, if you can read, and use a PC.

I know how that may sound, but it is best not to use installers.

+1000000000

I do understand why they do it, as it's there. I don't understand why they don't read around first.

That will not be going NEAR any android device i own or help set up. Nothing to do with any installer and most definitely not anything to do with Xfinity.

Especially when it's easy to make your own, if you can read, and use a PC.

I know how that may sound, but it is best not to use installers.

+1000000000

I do understand why they do it, as it's there. I don't understand why they don't read around first.

Apologies if I gave wrong advice I have only been only xbmc about a month so don't know all the ins and outs , only going on what I have used and liked

campo wrote: »
    Apologies if I gave wrong advice I have only been only xbmc about a month so don't know all the ins and outs , only going on what I have used and liked

No. I didn't mean it like that. Sorry.

It's not that it's not good. I haven't checked it out yet, so i can't really comment.

But it is better to not use any installer.
    It leaves you more open to many attacks/spam/crápware.

If you are using somebody elses repo, best to install it manually.

xbmc.org most reliable source to find out if it's good/safe worth installing.

I had written more, but deleted it, as i don't want to participate in any of the nonsense going on.

I got my mk808b this morning and just got some time to mess with it....and it's great! :) I was expecting some hopelessly unresponsive and buggy Chinese tech. So far it's been great. Love it!

I got my mk808b this morning and just got some time to mess with it....and it's great! :) I was expecting some hopelessly unresponsive and buggy Chinese tech. So far it's been great. Love it!

Just wondering why you went for this one over the 908?

It was quite a bit cheaper and also it's still the best seller on geekbuying. Might get the 908 from Santa! :)

It was quite a bit cheaper and also it's still the best seller on geekbuying. Might get the 908 from Santa! :)

Have you tried xunity yet and if so what did you think of it , considering trying it out if only for the karaoke lol

• Advertisement

That thing! On my XBMC!!!! Isn't it full of ads and other such garbage? lol :D "Skintegration". I can imagine them high fiving each other when they thought up that! :D I'd say it's the XBMC equivalent of injecting yourself with AIDS.

To be serious though I stay away from everything on that particular website. I don't want Mikey1234 all over my XBMC machine.

That thing! On my XBMC!!!! Isn't it full of ads and other such garbage? lol :D "Skintegration". I can imagine them high fiving each other when they thought up that! :D I'd say it's the XBMC equivalent of injecting yourself with AIDS.

To be serious though I stay away from everything on that particular website. I don't want Mikey1234 all over my XBMC machine.

I put Mikey1234 on my laptop - should I get rid of him?

Hey it's up to you mate. I didn't see anything special about XUnity other than some garish colour schemes and it basically aggregates the results of your addons.

I'm just after sticking Finless 1.7 on my MK808b and wow what an improvement! Got set up in a quarter of the time it took to customise the stock rom. Everything is snappier and even the Rii I'm using is a lot more responsive.

Oh yes I can change the DNS settings as well so I'll be getting the Demand5 app working with Tunlr hopefully. The 4oD app somehow knows I have it on d'telly and kicks me out!

Highly recommend it to anyone....only thing I can't figure out though is the gallery. On my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 I get all the photo albums I have on PicasaWeb through the Gallery app. But with the MK808b there's nothing there at all (even though I have added my Google account). Bugging me something awful.

sweetie wrote: »

Hi Sweetie,

Has your box arrived yet - just trying to gauge how long I need to order before xmas to make sure it will arrive in time? (Xmas pressies for people)

Cheers

Allyall,

Has the new one come out yet and if so could you psot a link to it please and if not might you be able to advise if it will be out before Xmas please and thank you?

Regards

iba wrote: »
    Hi Sweetie,

Has your box arrived yet - just trying to gauge how long I need to order before xmas to make sure it will arrive in time? (Xmas pressies for people)

Cheers

Was only despatched last week so I'd order sooner rather than later.

Guys,

Whats the difference between these two boxes, besides the extra aerial. Is the second link an updated version of the first link. The first link is for MK908II and the 2nd one is for MK908II/J22?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixnor%C2%AE-MK908II-Quad-core-Dual-antenna-Bluetooth/dp/B00FGPK1W6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384188274&sr=8-2&keywords=mk908ii

Thanks

mine arrived yesterday, well packaged but customs had opened it, stuck a sticker saying value of $20 and no charges! Cost me over 4 times that so happy to avoid them for once. Setup last night and installed xbmc frodo with fusion and tested a few things and streaming well. Airmouse will take a bit of getting used to and the hdmi and power cable cable supplied are too short so makes turning it on and off a bit of a job on my av setup but happy with it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I received my order but they valued it at €80 so charged €24.40 duty. I wasn't at home & the other half paid it. If I emailed them the PayPal receipt would they refund me. The unit and control actually cost €50.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement