Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Keys - 22nd August 2012

• 10-02-2012 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Heard this morning that the Black Keys will be playing the O2 Dublin on the 22nd August.

Will be great to see them live having missed their Tripod gig in '10, but why do I get the feeling that because it is in the 02, it will be full of 14 year olds singing away to lonely boy and talking their way through everything else they dont know. Seems like a huge venue for them to fill based on the back of one fantastic song (which a majority of people are going to know them by).

I'll be there regardless!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That song is only average imo. Some of the songs from their older albums are better. But it is an awesome album, Little Black Submarines is the hightlight for me. This should be awesome though I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MadYaker wrote: »
    That song is only average imo. Some of the songs from their older albums are better. But it is an awesome album, Little Black Submarines is the hightlight for me. This should be awesome though I can't wait.

No doubt this is their 'Sex On Fire'.....a popular song that everyone loves bar their proper fans, who will say its not anything as good as their old stuff...except SOF was a poor song compared to older KOL stuff.

Because Lonely Boy it is being played to the hilt on the radio it probably wll start to grate after a while.

Anyway, It should be a cracking gig all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

And tickets only 39 euros too!! Why can't more bands do this. Saw them in a tiny venue in utrecht a couple of years ago and they were amazing . O2 seems a bit too big for them though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Only €39?? If your attitude is prevalent then they won't have trouble selling it out, but I would have my doubts, way too big a venue for them and too high a ticket price. Presume that's twice the price of the tripod gig or as near as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Can not wait for this, had a feeling they would announce an O2 gig, was hoping for somewhere smaller like The Olympia though, ah well at least I'm pretty much guaranteed to get tickets for the O2, cant see it selling out too fast. I think the setlist will be 80% Brothers and El Camino, with maybe one track from each of the first five albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I must have missed something that they are big enough for the O2 now. Must try and go though, couldnt get a ticket for last one.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Plan to pick up a ticket for this myself. Only have Brothers and El Camino so I'll have to listen to some of their older stuff in the meantime.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Well they've been selling out Madison Square Garden and the likes so it's not surprising they've been booked in the O2. I've been a fan for years, think the last 2 albums have been a bit too commercial song wise and the've moved away from the dirty blues of their first few albums.

I've a feeling this gig will be filled with one-song fans who haven't a clue about 95% of their stuff. Having seen them for €21 in Tripod a year and a half ago, €39 + €5 fees in the O2 is kinda putting me of plus the likely audience that'll go. Saying that I'll most likely be there anyway since they're still a great band, Tripod was one of the best gigs I've been to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

presumably it'll be a semi-curtained off seating arrangement. no way could they sell 14,000 tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shanemangan

39 Euro is a brilliantly decent and fair price to see these lads. I am going to RHCP aswell, but 75 euro including booking fees / charges etc. I am beginning to regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's RAG Week in college this week and funds are in horrifically short supply :(. Would standing tickets likely sell out on the morning would anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Isnt there a presale for the Black Keys tickets starting this morning? Anyone got a link for this?

Found a link here. Now i need to find someone on the o2 network that doesnt like the black keys to send me a password?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Found a link here. Now i need to find someone on the o2 network that doesnt like the black keys to send me a password?? :D
    Why don't you just get an O2 sim card? Probably costs about €5 and you can store it away for future pre-sales!

I had an o2 sim but they recycled it last summer. :( I hadnt used it for two years. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

AdMMM wrote: »
    It's RAG Week in college this week and funds are in horrifically short supply :(. Would standing tickets likely sell out on the morning would anyone think?

I just bought mine this second from the presale, as that hasn't sold out yet I can't see a great demand for them come Thursday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Only €39?? If your attitude is prevalent then they won't have trouble selling it out, but I would have my doubts, way too big a venue for them and too high a ticket price. Presume that's twice the price of the tripod gig or as near as.

yeah I do think its too big a venue for them and doubt they will sell it out but they are pretty huge now compared to 5 years ago (headlining Coachella I think) and I didnt pay much less for a ticket then. Would much prefer if they played Olympia or somewhere like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ Hendrix Gigantic Bum

LowOdour wrote: »
    Heard this morning that the Black Keys will be playing the O2 Dublin on the 22nd August.

Will be great to see them live having missed their Tripod gig in '10, but why do I get the feeling that because it is in the 02, it will be full of 14 year olds singing away to lonely boy and talking their way through everything else they dont know. Seems like a huge venue for them to fill based on the back of one fantastic song (which a majority of people are going to know them by).

I'll be there regardless!!

Old reply but,

Myself and a friend are going (We both thankfully know them from other songs, my own and my favorite song of theirs being Keep me)
    But sadly you're probably be right, it more then likely will be filled by annoying children (16 myself but not a douche) if it is even sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

bobbygirl wrote: »
    yeah I do think its too big a venue for them and doubt they will sell it out but they are pretty huge now compared to 5 years ago (headlining Coachella I think) and I didnt pay much less for a ticket then. Would much prefer if they played Olympia or somewhere like that.

+1. I absolutely love the Black Keys, andI saw them in the Alexandra Palace in London the week before last. Except for the songs off El Camino and one or two others, the venue, a great big f*ck off ballroom which is a bit smaller than the O2, was too big for their sound. There was no production to speak of (as you'd expect), but tunes like Money Maker and 10 Cent Pistol suffered because of it. The Olympia would be a great venue, and I would sell my granny to see them play I Got Mine in the Academy :pac:

Also, most of the crowd didn't know their older stuff. There was so much "song's over" applause during breaks in songs that they paused for what seemed like a minute during 10 Cent Pistol, presumably for the craic.

guerito wrote: »
    +1. I absolutely love the Black Keys, andI saw them in the Alexandra Palace in London the week before last. Except for the songs off El Camino and one or two others, the venue, a great big f*ck off ballroom which is a bit smaller than the O2, was too big for their sound. There was no production to speak of (as you'd expect), but tunes like Money Maker and 10 Cent Pistol suffered because of it. The Olympia would be a great venue, and I would sell my granny to see them play I Got Mine in the Academy :pac:

Also, most of the crowd didn't know their older stuff. There was so much "song's over" applause during breaks in songs that they paused for what seemed like a minute during 10 Cent Pistol, presumably for the craic.
    I've only ever seen 'keep me' played live once on youtube, when you went did they play it by any chance? It is my goal in life to see it preformed live at the mo'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

I've only ever seen 'keep me' played live once on youtube, when you went did they play it by any chance? It is my goal in life to see it preformed live at the mo'

No, they didn't play Keep Me. They did finish up with I Got Mine though. I left the gig a very happy man :D

Set list is in the link below. It's for the night after I saw them, but it's the same:
    http://www.petehatesmusic.com/2012/02/12/concert-review-the-black-keys-alexandra-palace-london-england/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

As long as they keep slagging off Nickelback they'll get new fans!

As long as they keep slagging off Nickelback they'll alienate some fans.

Ill try get a ticket for this based on my plans for August, so I know its a negative thing really; but I hope it doesn't sell out too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Any guesses for when people think the standing area will sell out for this? Need to save up badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 INeedMusic

No, they didn't play Keep Me. They did finish up with I Got Mine though. I left the gig a very happy man :D

Set list is in the link below. It's for the night after I saw them, but it's the same:
    http://www.petehatesmusic.com/2012/02/12/concert-review-the-black-keys-alexandra-palace-london-england/

Thanks for the set list, was wondering what the one song from Twilight was. That's a pretty solid review, too.

"Perhaps one surprise to the setlist was Chop and Change, a song from the Eclipse soundtrack, from those god awful Twilight movies. The crowd seemed a little lost during this one, unsure if it was a cover song, or an obscure older track. It’s good to know that the Twilight and Black Keys fan bases are mutually exclusive."

Hilarious.

Well....gold on the ceiling would do too hehe...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

I slightly changed an old concert poster of theirs to make it relevant to Irish show

blackkeysa4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Have people got their tickets for this yet? Cause i cant remember if I got mine by post yet!

I haven't gotten mine yet, neither have several of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Thanks. I must not have gotten it yet! Ive bought so many tickets recently i cant keep track. Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I've been looking forward to this for a while and have been meaning to pick up my ticket but like the rest of you I'm extremely wary of this new turn of events...

Ive been listening to them since Thickfreakness and I must admit (in as unsnobbish a way as I can muster) the level they've shot to with El Camino, particularly Lonely Boy, has me a little put out. Not that I dont wish the guys every success, which they absolutely deserve, but I wasnt able to scrounge a ticket for Tripod and the nails been hit on the head here, Its gonna be a huge venue filled with young lads who like one song.

Advertisement