Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

waters broken this morning at 7.15. Contractions now well & truly underway. Wish us luck

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

To follow up on a post i made a few months ago, just as we were half way through the pregnancy.

On the 4th of December we had a beautiful boy,52cm,lanky like his dad.

Wifey had to be induced (first baby), and it was hard, very hard.
    She endured pains and loud wards for a good 32 hours before her waters broke.
    Straight into labour ward, staff were so so good.

I was there for the whole thing, holding her legs back during the big pushes,i have to admit, watching her in that much pain was very hard for me to watch more than anything else, i felt so helpless. But looking back at it now 3 weeks, she was incredible for what she did and I would recommend it to any new dads to get stuck in (careful now)

2 days after, we were sent home! 3 days after that, we were rushing into Crumlin A&E :(

Baby wasnt doing great, no responsive, eyes rolling in the back of the head, you know, the stuff that frightens the bejaysus out of you.
    Seen straight away in A&E, and put on drips and tests for 48hours. i slept in his room on the floor beside him, the worst night of my life.

About a week after that though and we are back home thank god. No big issues, being very careful with him and feeding, no visitors, but baby comes first.

Its been a very stressful few weeks, with the educed labour, our baby in Crumlin for a week or so, me in retail at the busiest time having to do 12 hour shifts everyday without stopping, its all been worth coming home to 2 amazing people. Cant wait for some time off with them.

Its all worth it!

Happy Christmas to all the new parents!

(Crumlin staff are incredible by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Antigone05 wrote: »
    To follow up on a post i made a few months ago, just as we were half way through the pregnancy.

On the 4th of December we had a beautiful boy,52cm,lanky like his dad.

Wifey had to be induced (first baby), and it was hard, very hard.
    She endured pains and loud wards for a good 32 hours before her waters broke.
    Straight into labour ward, staff were so so good.

I was there for the whole thing, holding her legs back during the big pushes,i have to admit, watching her in that much pain was very hard for me to watch more than anything else, i felt so helpless. But looking back at it now 3 weeks, she was incredible for what she did and I would recommend it to any new dads to get stuck in (careful now)

2 days after, we were sent home! 3 days after that, we were rushing into Crumlin A&E :(

Baby wasnt doing great, no responsive, eyes rolling in the back of the head, you know, the stuff that frightens the bejaysus out of you.
    Seen straight away in A&E, and put on drips and tests for 48hours. i slept in his room on the floor beside him, the worst night of my life.

About a week after that though and we are back home thank god. No big issues, being very careful with him and feeding, no visitors, but baby comes first.

Its been a very stressful few weeks, with the educed labour, our baby in Crumlin for a week or so, me in retail at the busiest time having to do 12 hour shifts everyday without stopping, its all been worth coming home to 2 amazing people. Cant wait for some time off with them.

Its all worth it!

Happy Christmas to all the new parents!

(Crumlin staff are incredible by the way)

Congrats antigone05! Great to hear all well in the end, ye deserve a great Xmas!

9 weeks to go for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

killiank wrote: »
    waters broken this morning at 7.15. Contractions now well & truly underway. Wish us luck

Well we had a beautiful baby boy "Tom" yesterday morning at 1.12am.
    Its just a fantastic experience. I cant stop looking at the little fella even when he is sleeping, which thankfully he is doing when required.
    7lbs 12ozs. Looking forward to getting him & his mother home now for a few days before going back to work.

Well we had a beautiful baby boy "Tom" yesterday morning at 1.12am.
    Its just a fantastic experience. I cant stop looking at the little fella even when he is sleeping, which thankfully he is doing when required.
    7lbs 12ozs. Looking forward to getting him & his mother home now for a few days before going back to work.

Hey congrats killank, thats great news. Tom is a great name- might even use that one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Great thread,

Well myself and the other half got married last March and we found out on Dec 23rd that we are expecting our first together. Have been trying for 2 years at this stage and she already has a 6yro from previous relationship. So bloody excited im fit to burst. Should be getting scan next week to find due date but should be Aug/Sept.

Id love to find out sex but wife having none of it. Ant of ye have similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Had a little boy on Thursday morning :):)

Wife and Baby doin great - home and all.

Big thanks to all staff at the Coombe, they were just excellent!!

woohooooo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Einstein wrote: »
    Had a little boy on Thursday morning :):)

Wife and Baby doin great - home and all.

Big thanks to all staff at the Coombe, they were just excellent!!

woohooooo!!

Congrats, he shares his birthday with my son who turned 5 at 10.15am last Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Had baby girl on Thursday night at 8.55. Weight was 7lb 2 oz. Cant wait to get her home tomorrow.

Mid-wifes in Wexford General are just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

So there I am just inserting my new unplaced copy of uncharted 3 into my ps3 which I was looking forward to playing after a very busy Christmas .

My phone rings as first loading screen comes up. My partner is on a staff dinner so the last thing I was expecting was a call to tell me her waters just broke .

Ran around the house like. Mad lunatic to find my car keys , 4 laps of the house later I find them IN MY HAND.

We get to the hospital at 11.30 where after checking in we are left sitting there until half 2 before she can be seen by a doctor due to multiple emergency sections.

3.30 we arrive to a pre labour ward where I am asked to leave as the other ladies are sleeping.

4 hours later after a terrible sleep , I arrive back to my partner who is very restless , we walk literally 45 laps of the hospital and car park.

This brings us to half 12 and my partner is getting more uncomfu so the nurse gives her 2 paracetamol tablets.

After one million walks of the grounds again we head back to ward as she was due an antibiotic drip, as we walk into the ward the nurse decides to give her her first proper examination as they couldn't do a lot due to the waters being gone..

Amazingly she is 6cm dilated, and from our very brief walk from the ward to the delivery ward she goes to 9 cm but is too far gone for ANY. Pain relief other than the gas and air...

45 mins and a lot of pushing later out 9lb prince is born. After a quick 4 hour labour.

I have never been so proud of anyone in my life, knowing what my partner went threw that whole time and didn't complain once , was amazing, and I thought I had a high pain threshold, 2 pain killers !! Amazing

Mother and baby are doing great and are due home in the morning :-) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well folks I'm typing this from my bed, on my first sleepless night!! Baby Holly was born on the 9th and was 6lb 8.5oz. My wife was induced after her waters broke on Sunday at home. She was 4cm gone at that stage. 2 hours later she went from 5cm to fully dilated in 20 mins. Staff were in shock and Holly was brought into this world. To say my wife was amazing is an understatement. It happened so fast that I could see my baby being born and it was beautiful. Were both shattered now and holly is being breastfed and has been up all night so far. But she's here, and well work through the tiredness, somehow. Best of luck future and existing dads. It's such an amazing time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Congrats, and good luck over the next couple of months - you won't get back to UC3 any time soon!

I would tell you not to worry, it's not that great, but sorry, it's feckin' brilliant :P
    Gers_punto wrote: »
    So there I am just inserting my new unplaced copy of uncharted 3 into my ps3 which I was looking forward to playing after a very busy Christmas .

My phone rings as first loading screen comes up. My partner is on a staff dinner so the last thing I was expecting was a call to tell me her waters just broke .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brian87

Had our scan in holles street this morning! Was great to see the little guy in there! Me and the gf are over the moon with things..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mesnifth

the o/h is 11 weeks pregnant, we have gotten our date for the first scan and and its when she is 20 WEEKS!!! i thought it was suppose to be between 12 and 14 week?

mesnifth wrote: »
    the o/h is 11 weeks pregnant, we have gotten our date for the first scan and and its when she is 20 WEEKS!!! i thought it was suppose to be between 12 and 14 week?

It depends which hospital you are with. Holes St is 20+ weeks. Rotunda would be 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

mesnifth wrote: »

My wife will be 12 weeks next Tuesday and we were told that it would be 20weeks aswell before we get a scan. Our hospital is Letterkenny, but have managed to get one sorted for February as we cant wait that long

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi lads, firstly can I just admit that I am a woman and not even pregnant, I stumbled onto this thread by complete mistake (that was two hours ago because once I started reading I was hooked!) I never in a million years expected there to be such funny, touching, eye-opening stories on here. I literally laughed out loud at some posts and got teary eyed at others (again, I swear I am not a hormonal mammy-to-be, lol) Obviously I have no advise to share but I found it so interesting to see things from a mans' perspective and to read from so many hard-working, dedicated and loving daddies and daddies- to- be. To me you are ''real'' men. :) God bless all your little bundles of joy!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

we are just after finding out that we are pregnant, we were not really trying, we only had unprotected sex twice and from the dates it looks like it was the first time that did it (go on the lads!!!)

I am so excited but i think already it is going to be a long 9 months! there is loads i want to do right now, but can't. I've been reading through this thread all morning, it's great to hear peoples good news, and also puts everything into perspective when you read peoples bad news. If there is one thing i've taken from this thread, it's to enjoy every minute of the experience, because it flies by.

Thanks to everyone who has posted and shared here so far, once we get to week 12/13 and we break the news to our friends, i'll be able to post here myself and ask questions etc

looks like a while since anyone posted here, hopefully there will be a few more posts from dads to be for Oct!

Good luck

I've been following this thread and notice nothing new in the last month...so all you expectant dads out there what's happening in world of pregnancy for ye?

My wife is due 2 weeks 2 days with our yet to be named baby boy..so just a waiting game right now..lots of braxton hicks but nor much else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

I've been following this thread and notice nothing new in the last month...so all you expectant dads out there what's happening in world of pregnancy for ye?

My wife is due 2 weeks 2 days with our yet to be named baby boy..so just a waiting game right now..lots of braxton hicks but nor much else..

Hi. Exciting for you - almost d-day!

My wife is 25 weeks pregnant tomorrow. Everything is going smoothly so far. It's a strange time because we are over the initial excitiment and just getting on with life as usual, it's funny how it happens. Still a bit unreal I suppose and we also have a fair bit to go.

Mick

• Advertisement

mickydcork wrote: »

Hi. Exciting for you - almost d-day!

My wife is 25 weeks pregnant tomorrow. Everything is going smoothly so far. It's a strange time because we are over the initial excitiment and just getting on with life as usual, it's funny how it happens. Still a bit unreal I suppose and we also have a fair bit to go.

Mick

A fair bit to go but it's amazing how quickly it creeps up on ye... And you realise it's any day now.

Have ye found out if boy or girl? Getting the bits and pieces is exciting, cot, stroller/buggie, car seat, baby clothes etc etc.

We did ante natal classes, it was 5 Monday lunchtimes so I cOuld fit it in with work. Learnt quiet a bit.

I've booked a week off to spend a bit of time with wife and baby after birth.

Anyway that's my bit of useless information for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Hey folks,

Have read this forum on and off for past 8 months or so and never contributed so here it goes.

We are due our first baby on 29th Feb so really can be any day now. Its hard to believe how quick it really has gone in. We decided not to find out what were having and its bloody hard, so excited to find out now hopefully wont be to much longer. We have our last scan in the morning and wife officially finishes work tomorrow also so will really feel were very close to having our baby in our arms afterwards.

Its great to here everyones experiences, really helps me prepare for whats ahead, although I say that now when I am there I'm sure I will be thinking completely different. We have everything bought and set up, bags are packed, and nothing left to do but wait, amazing how a two week holiday will fly in yet if she goes on time the next two weeks will drag haha, hate it its torture waiting about !!

Just thought I would say hello and express my impatience lol and wish everyone good luck and safe travels in their pregnancy's / newborns. Nothing but admiration for all the mothers especially, My wife hasn't had it easy but she is amazing.

Roll on the 29th.

How are you getting on Buachaill? Just over a week to go...my wife can't wait to have it...it's getting bit unbearable for her now...busy month for me..i was given 4 weeks notice at work so busy trying my best to sort out another job as soon as possible.

How are you getting on Buachaill? Just over a week to go...my wife can't wait to have it...it's getting bit unbearable for her now...busy month for me..i was given 4 weeks notice at work so busy trying my best to sort out another job as soon as possible.

Sorry to hear about your job mate country is in a horrible place right now. On the bright side though your cloud has a silver lining on the way :).

We had our scan last week and everything still perfect thank god. Then Wednesday night and all day Thursday the cramps kicked in and we were all set to get on our travels, said we would give it till Friday morning before we get it checked out and boom wife wakes up Friday morning and everything resumed back to normal, bloody Braxton hicks. Baby still very active so nothing to be concerned about.

Since then lots of baby activity but nothing else to suggest were close so I sit by and wait, hate waiting I'm so impatient. As we speak wife is all agitated baby is bouncing around. Going nowhere by looks of things little fecker ha ha. I guess its all the joys of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

After giving her mum a hard time since Monday with high blood pressure,baby Claire arrived yesterday afternoon at 5.00. C-section and 5 weeks early she came out bawling and kicking:)
    Absolutely surreal experience,I saw the whole lot happen and was with mammy all the way but it's just too hard to explain all the emotions involved. How those ladies work under that workload and with such respect and love is unbelievable.
    Got to feed and wind her last night while her beautiful mother slept.:)

Best of luck Buachaill,didn't see your posts til now. Let us know how it goes!!
    That's golf on the back-foot for a while*crosses fingers*:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Hijacking this thread...... first Grandchild born 2:33 am this morning in Mullingar, very eventfull night........ emergency C section. all ended well ....... daughter and little guy doing well, looking forward to seeing him properly today. Only got a glimpse of him being transferred from Intensive care to maternity ward. lungs working fine !
    Thank God both are doing well.

Good luck to all

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Only found out last tuesday night that my wife is pregnant for the first time.Got a shock to be honest because i wasnt expecting it to happen so quickly so am only starting to get my head around it now.
    Exciting times ahead even though were fighting like cats and dogs at the moment.Must be the hormones kicking in!!!!!

staker wrote: »
    After giving her mum a hard time since Monday with high blood pressure,baby Claire arrived yesterday afternoon at 5.00. C-section and 5 weeks early she came out bawling and kicking:)
    Absolutely surreal experience,I saw the whole lot happen and was with mammy all the way but it's just too hard to explain all the emotions involved. How those ladies work under that workload and with such respect and love is unbelievable.
    Got to feed and wind her last night while her beautiful mother slept.:)

Best of luck Buachaill,didn't see your posts til now. Let us know how it goes!!
    That's golf on the back-foot for a while*crosses fingers*:pac:

Congrats Staker thats great news, I can only imagine how nice it feels to finally have your baby in your arms !! hopefully I will know sooner rather than later, still no budging.

I think I would happily miss the golf for now. Still a bit cold out there for me anyhow, May-June will be fine for me ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Congrats Secman and staker, Great news for you. Buchaill I am in the same boat as you. Due date is next Thursday. We had a scan last wednesday and the Dr said that (judging by the look of her) he dosnt think my wife will still be pregnant in a week. Wednesday night she woke with peroid type pains and lots of cramping, Got a lot worse during the night and by morning there were gone so I decided to go to work, They came back again yesterday thursday and got worse during the night and now they seem to have calmed down a good bit. I dont know how my wife is handling this so well. I have decided not to go to work today just in case!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not seen this section on boards before, so just thought I'd say hi.

Wife is now in week 31 (second time around) and getting quite big and uncomfortable - back pain, cramps, leg pains etc.
    Our 2 year old son (nearly 3) is getting quite excited about it all now, especially as he just got a new bed so that the baby can have his cot.
    Haven't been able to find out the sex yet, even though we went up to Newry and paid for a scan which isn't helping as we have no idea about names yet. Hopefully the scan next week will let us know more

Advertisement