Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Trinity College Dublin compare to the following English universities

• 27-12-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

How does Trinity College Dublin compare to the following English universities (Mathematics):

Imperial College London
    London School of Economics
    University of Warwick
    University College London
    I'm trying to figure out which ones justify the huge extra cost and which ones dont. (I'm an Irish citizen so I'm entitled to the free tuition fees in Ireland and can travel to TCD from home)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

sdiff wrote: »
    How does Trinity College Dublin compare to the following English universities (Mathematics):

Imperial College London
    London School of Economics
    University of Warwick
    University College London
    I'm trying to figure out which ones justify the huge extra cost and which ones dont. (I'm an Irish citizen so I'm entitled to the free tuition fees in Ireland and can travel to TCD from home)

First of all, the colleges you have written about in the top 10 in the uk closely behind oxbridge. The london wage makes up for the cost

If you can afford the fees, go to uni in the uk. It will be one of the best experiences of your life. The Irish are loved in london and the uk. A better student life as everyone moves out for college in the uk.

TCD is an overated kip:rolleyes:

If you cant afford the cost, well TCD is the college Ireland has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

investment wrote: »
    First of all, the colleges you have written about in the top 10 in the uk closely behind oxbridge. The london wage makes up for the cost

If you can afford the fees, go to uni in the uk. It will be one of the best experiences of your life. The Irish are loved in london and the uk. A better student life as everyone moves out for college in the uk.

TCD is an overated kip:rolleyes:

If you cant afford the cost, well TCD is the college Ireland has to offer.

Surely anyone can "afford" the cost with the student loans system? It's just the matter of having to pay back the loans. So you'd say that all of the above universities are far enough ahead of trinity to justify 9000£ tuition fees + living costs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Why only TCD in Ireland? Have you researched each colleges Maths courses? Have you considered where you'd prefer to live? In my experience, it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of job prospects where you do your undergrad degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

flash1080 wrote: »
    Why only TCD in Ireland? Have you researched each colleges Maths courses? Have you considered where you'd prefer to live? In my experience, it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of job prospects where you do your undergrad degree.

Yes in Ireland I've researched each uni and decided TCD suits me best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Fair enough. Have you looked into where the graduates from the colleges listed above have got jobs (it might show up some strong links between certain companies and colleges)? Do any of the colleges have work placement / co-op as part of the course? What about where you want to live?

I know a good few lads who did their MEng in Imperial College London (did their undergrad in an Institute of Technology) and found it very good, but the cost of living was very high. From an engineering perspective, from the above colleges my preference would be Imperial College for postgrad studies, I'd still do my undergrad studies in Ireland if I had to do it all over again though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The following link is more or less the standard ranking system for world universities.

You have to question the importance of ranking though, and how it will affect you. The USA for example take the rankings into account (i.e. what school you went to) in terms of employment etc., but I'd imagine in Europe that unless it's for academic studies or profession, there's not a whole lot of industry that take your university too much into account, a "good" university is preferable, but not in such detail as picking between the ones you've listed, which are all excellent.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

In terms of Irish Universities, Trinity usually ranked around 50th in the world, and UCD around 90th in the world, but since the recession, and mainly due to a lack of funding, they've slipped to about 100th and 150th respectively.

Also remember that these rankings are very generic, but the school you attend in a university might be ranked much higher / lower - like Trinity for certain business disciplines would not rank as well as UCD (imo) and UCD would be much lower ranked if it was based on their Arts disciplines for example (again, imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

For the record (and craic :pac:), this is how Irish universities stack up in a national context:

1 Trinity College Dublin
    2 University College Dublin
    3 University College Cork
    4 National University of Ireland, Galway
    5 Dublin City University
    6 Dublin Institute of Technology
    7 National University of Ireland Maynooth
    8 University of Limerick

Others not ranked / not university status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Those UK ones are in a different league to TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Conisder the fact that TCD is ranked 15th in the world for Mathematics. Warwick is the only one I would select over TCD to study maths. The quality of lecturers and research in Trinity in the field of mathematics is extremely high.

Note that CRANN the nanoscience research institute is located in Trinity and many graduates of mathematics from TCD would be in an excellent position to take up research in one of the best places for nanoscience research in the world at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A colleague of mine has a doctorate from Oxford and is a very proud alumnus. His son wants to study mathematics and is in his final year at Cambridge as that is the best in the UK (apparently) for maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Marcusm wrote: »
    A colleague of mine has a doctorate from Oxford and is a very proud alumnus. His son wants to study mathematics and is in his final year at Cambridge as that is the best in the UK (apparently) for maths.

Yes, Cambridge is ranked 1st in the world for Mathematics if memory serves. They have people like Steven Hawking lecturing in the field so it makes sense. They have a very competitive undergraduate program with an integrated masters in the 4 year degree.

Advertisement