Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Got the 3 x 1600m P&D Interval session out of the way so the taper can start in earnest now. That session always feels like Russian Roulette.

All going well I'm jumping on the TFB-LeCheile 3:15 bus and hopefully will stay on it until the finish.

Agreed on the 3x1600's- I don't think the taper actually starts till that session is done. Did the Docklands 5k last night instead of that session and bagged a confidence boosting 19:27 pb, breaking the 20 min mark for the first time. Tempted to go for 3:15 myself but training has been geared towards 3:25 so will stick to that I think.

Water stations confirmed, thankfully in bottles, hopefully the weather won't be too hot so we don't need those sponges!-
    Blackpool, just before O’Connell Street (c. 2.5 miles) BOTTLES
    Horgan’s Quay (c. 4 miles)
    Lower Glanmire Road (Tivoli) (c. 6 miles) BOTTLES
    South Ring Road (c. 9 miles) BOTTLES
    Half Marathon Start Line
    Blackrock Castle Carpark (c. 11.5 miles) BOTTLES & Lucozade Sports
    Railway Line at junction with Skehard Road (c. 14 miles) BOTTLES
    Marina, Lee Rowing Club (c. 15.5 miles) & SPONGES
    Curragh Road (c. 18 miles) & Lucozade Sports
    The Lough (c. 19.5 miles) & SPONGES
    Model Farm Road (c. 21 miles) BOTTLES
    Inchigaggin Lane (c. 23 miles) BOTTLES & Lucozade Sports
    Carrigrohane Road (c. 24 miles)
    Mardyke, at Mardyke Bridge (c. 25 miles) BOTTLES
    Finish Line: water BOTTLES & mains

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

sideswipe wrote: »
    Agreed on the 3x1600's- I don't think the taper actually starts till that session is done. Did the Docklands 5k last night instead of that session and bagged a confidence boosting 19:27 pb, breaking the 20 min mark for the first time. Tempted to go for 3:15 myself but training has been geared towards 3:25 so will stick to that I think.

Nice time - well done!

Considered the 5k myself but chickened out of it as I had visions of myself limping over the line with a hamstring pull or something :o

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

3.15 or 3.20 to 3.25 ?
    I'm in the same quandry myself sideswipe....
    Really tempted to go with TFB and the gang, or just pace myself to a 3.20 finish. Its my first attempt at the marathon distance after a few halfs.
    Training has gone good, and now the nerves are setting in !!
    Would love to have some company along the way to keep me going at a steady pace..
    I'm getting sick at looking at different time pace bands, trying to make my mind up !!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Got the 3 x 1600m P&D Interval session out of the way so the taper can start in earnest now. That session always feels like Russian Roulette.

All going well I'm jumping on the TFB-LeCheile 3:15 bus and hopefully will stay on it until the finish.

OK, whats the 3 x 1600m P&D and is it too late to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    3.15 or 3.20 to 3.25 ?
    Really tempted to go with TFB and the gang, or just pace myself to a 3.20 finish. Its my first attempt at the marathon distance after a few halfs.
    Would love to have some company along the way to keep me going at a steady pace..
    I'm getting sick at looking at different time pace bands, trying to make my mind up !!!:confused:

Taper Madness:)
    alitoast wrote: »

If you haven't followed the P&D training program then you don't need to worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3.15 or 3.20 to 3.25 ?

TBH if it's you first I wouldn't stress about the time too much- it's been said on this forum many times- Enjoyment is paramount for your first, there'll be plenty of other marathons to chase numbers. Why not go out at the pace you trained for and if you feel strong over the last 6 miles or so let rip?

When I said I was tempted it was my heart talking.....it's my head that has told me to stick to the plan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

alitoast wrote: »

Yeah - don't worry about it - it's for those of us that consider the P&D book as our Marathon Bible.
    3.15 or 3.20 to 3.25 ?

I don't normally advise people on their goals but as sideswipe has suggested in your 1st marathon you should definitely err on the conservative side of expectations - not that I heeded the same advice for my 1st marathon :p

The last 4 miles in Cork are downhill or flat so try to keep some in the tank to make the most of it (and probably pass me out while you're at it)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3.15 or 3.20 to 3.25 ?

What time did you do for those halfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erasure

Hey,

Do most of the water stations have bottles for everyone? My fear is by the time i reach them there'll be just cups left! would i be better taking a hydration pack???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i was a 5hr pacer last year and dont recall any issues with drinks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

erasure wrote: »
    Hey,

Do most of the water stations have bottles for everyone? My fear is by the time i reach them there'll be just cups left! would i be better taking a hydration pack???

You may find that 1 or 2 will run short of bottles but with 13 stops (excluding the half marathon start and the finish line), You'll not be left short. If you are worried about them, carry the bottle with you and refill it at the stop with only cups. I assume you want to carry it anyway or the cups should be fine when you reach each station. Best of luck and enjoy it.

Hey thx for the reply. I'd have no problem with the bottles but have tried drinking from cups on the run before and it's just a skill that eludes me!!!
    Have been training with the hydration pack but being my first marathon am just concerned with carrying extra weight for no reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

erasure wrote: »
    Hey thx for the reply. I'd have no problem with the bottles but have tried drinking from cups on the run before and it's just a skill that eludes me!!!

Stop running, drink the water, run on. Only takes a couple of seconds and you get to drink all the water instead of spilling half the cup or choking on it.

Oh, but don't stop dead in the middle of the road! Stand at the side of the water table or something

RayCun wrote: »
    Stop running, drink the water, run on. Only takes a couple of seconds and you get to drink all the water instead of spilling half the cup or choking on it.

Oh, but don't stop dead in the middle of the road! Stand at the side of the water table or something

Or bring a straw with you, sounds like a joke but think about it!;)

• The last 4 miles in Cork are downhill or flat so try to keep some in the tank to make the most of it (and probably pass me out while you're at it)!

Didn't realise that. Good.

Will aim to break 3.40, plan is to head off with 3.30 and try to hang on to them for as long as possible. Did a 1.36.34 half a couple of weeks back which kinda surprised myself, have been coasting a bit since. Did a couple of 8 milers this week, gonna maybe try one more and a few 3 or 4 milers.

And curious as to what a 3x1600m P & D is too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

And curious as to what a 3x1600m P & D is too!

It's simply a workout on the P&D plan about 2 weeks before your marathon. You run a mile at 5k pace and repeat 3 times (with 3-4 minutes jogging betweek reps). Some people prefer just to do a 5k race instead....

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Time to start the guesswork with the raceday weather.
    Temps will back off for next week. Early indications for Monday 4th -suggest:
    12/13c
    sunny spells
    very little breeze. Ill take that!

Just be glad your not running today.

Evening temps could reach 18/19c for anyone planning a post race BBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Used this site last year

17°C Fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

We all have different goals and mine is to finish in under 3 hours.My pb is 3hrs 7 minutes so i have a jump to make.My training has gone well though,did the same amount as last year but with a higher intensity overall this time around.My main concern now is the weather which is same as alot of runners i guess.I have absolutely no bearing of the heat at all.Just hoping the weather will have cooled off by then and we'll have cool cloudy calm conditions.

• Advertisement

markyboy wrote: »
    Used this site last year

17°C Fair

Yes, YR.NO is usually a pretty accurate site, It was from this site that I took my details above.
    I was taking the reading for the morning temps as opposed to the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

What time did you do for those halfs?

the last half was 1.36, ran the mallow 10m at 71m...

Had a chat with a buddy yesterday and he calmed me down ,and reiterated what has been said on here really, just to go out and njoy it and not kill myself chasing a time....so thats the plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

the last half was 1.36, ran the mallow 10m at 71m...

Had a chat with a buddy yesterday and he calmed me down ,and reiterated what has been said on here really, just to go out and njoy it and not kill myself chasing a time....so thats the plan !

MacMillan gives 3:22 for a 1:36 half and 3:19 for a 71m 10 miler. That should give you an indication, but it's certainly not set in stone. My own marathon times are usually 5 minutes slower than MacMillan suggests, others manage to hit their times much better or even exceed them.

3:15 might be a bit optimistic, but it's up to yourself. Some people do indeed manage to surprise themselves.

Some good points made here regarding the merging of racers and congestion points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

MacMillan gives 3:22 for a 1:36 half and 3:19 for a 71m 10 miler. That should give you an indication, but it's certainly not set in stone. My own marathon times are usually 5 minutes slower than MacMillan suggests, others manage to hit their times much better or even exceed them.

3:15 might be a bit optimistic, but it's up to yourself. Some people do indeed manage to surprise themselves.

+1 to what Thomas says...I've recently done a 1:35:30 HM but I'll be happy to break the 3:30 in Cork next week. Also, if it's your first one you should leave an extra few mins grace from your absolute target.
    I'd suggest go with the 3:30 pacers and if you're feeling really good after 15 miles or so then maybe push on a little and if still good at 20 miles push on even more. This would leave you a time of about 3:20-3:25 depending on how much you push yourself.
    If you go out with 3:15 and it's just a little too fast for you by half way you will probably really struggle to get 3:30 by the end.

belcarra wrote: »
    +1 to what Thomas says...I've recently done a 1:35:30 HM but I'll be happy to break the 3:30 in Cork next week. Also, if it's your first one you should leave an extra few mins grace from your absolute target.
    I'd suggest go with the 3:30 pacers and if you're feeling really good after 15 miles or so then maybe push on a little and if still good at 20 miles push on even more. This would leave you a time of about 3:20-3:25 depending on how much you push yourself.
    If you go out with 3:15 and it's just a little too fast for you by half way you will probably really struggle to get 3:30 by the end.

Sound advice.

Brianderunner ran 3:26 in DCM a few years back having stayed with the 3:30 pacers til after 20 miles, you can make time up in the end if you're feeling good but if you think banking time in the marathon works, it doesn't. Good Luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Some good points made here regarding the merging of racers and congestion points.

The Chairmen of the Boards relay team are expected to get through before the Half kicks off I hope. :D

Does anyone know if shower facilities are available on the day? The website just says there is changing area but nothing bout showers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

No showers! Mind you there was a nasty shower in Dublin last year, not long after I finished! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

The HM starts at 11:00 this year. This means that the entire HM field should merge with the 8:00 to 10:00 min/mile runners at the Marina (2M/15M). Things may be a little 'tight' for approx. 1/3rd mile, until you move away from the river. After that things should open out, but the third relay changeover point (3.5M/16.5M) may also be tight depending on the crowd (and stewards). After that everywhere is wide enough to cater for everyone.

With the earlier HM start, the walkway after the Mardyke (12M/25M) shouldn't be too big a problem, but the HM leaders will be passing 7:00/8:00 min/mile Marathon people here, but they should be relatively well spread out.

Last I heard, there were approx. 1650 entries in the full, 1850 in the HM and 450 relay teams.

Finally, FFS everyone, Run the SPR line!!! (Shortest Possible Route). Every year I see people 'glued' to the sides of the road.

Addendum: I forgot the start area - The start is appro.x 11.5 miles into the Marathon, so for the first 0.5 miles of the HM you will be running with (hopefully) a relatively small number of 10:00/11:00 min milers. If any of the Marathon people get caught up in the HM after the split at the Castle, please re-direct them back to Marathon route. Guaranteed there will be a few.

Advertisement