Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC French Written Section

• 01-05-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey guys!

I'm doing Higher Level French, but I'm struggling to pass it. I got 24% in my mocks. I was going to drop down to Ordinary Level (although it would be a struggle, points wise) but my teacher insists I do higher and that I would be 'very foolish' to do ordinary! :confused:

Anyway, I am really struggling with the written section on the paper. Has anyone got any tips on tackling this? My teacher said we should always do the journal intime and then choose from the rest.

Remember, I'm hoping for a D3 or D2 in this subject, so any tips you may have to help me achieve that would be appreciated :p

Thankies :) x

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

learn off very general phrases and make sure to fit a few subjunctives in :) e.g. for any problems like obesity, alcohol, drugs, inequality, "il faut lutter contre ce probleme avant qu'il ne soit trop tard" :) i find myself using the same ones multiple times in my homeworks, theyre really versatile :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Yeah, make sure to learn off some nice general phrases for the written section. Most of them are really versatile, my opening paragraphs are usually almost the exact same for each answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

To be honest OP I don't have any great advice for you but if I were you and didn't feel that I would have a great chance at achieving the required grade I most certainly would drop down to ordinary level

Just my two cents

Out of interest, did your mock include an oral or aural?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Togepi wrote: »
    Out of interest, did your mock include an oral or aural?

It included an aural, but no oral :)

OK thanks guys, I'll try and see how I get on!

• Advertisement

It included an aural, but no oral :)

OK thanks guys, I'll try and see how I get on!

The oral usually brings people up, so that might help you anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Sorry, bit unrelated, but does anyone know if you have to provide a french quote in the sixth question in the comprehensions (the 2 english questions), or can you get full marks just by saying your opinion in english?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You dont have to I guess, but I highly doubt you'll get full marks otherwise - but sure if you can understand it why not do it? It fills up space and if you translate it, it fills up even more. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

hey i'm in the same boat, im going to drop down to OL....

Hey guys!

I'm doing Higher Level French, but I'm struggling to pass it. I got 24% in my mocks. I was going to drop down to Ordinary Level (although it would be a struggle, points wise) but my teacher insists I do higher and that I would be 'very foolish' to do ordinary! :confused:

Anyway, I am really struggling with the written section on the paper. Has anyone got any tips on tackling this? My teacher said we should always do the journal intime and then choose from the rest.

Remember, I'm hoping for a D3 or D2 in this subject, so any tips you may have to help me achieve that would be appreciated :p

Thankies :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Sorry, bit unrelated, but does anyone know if you have to provide a french quote in the sixth question in the comprehensions (the 2 english questions), or can you get full marks just by saying your opinion in english?

Golden rule of exams in language: Answer in the language of the question unless otherwise stated.

Hence you can of course get full marks for stating your opinion in English, if you wish to mention a quote from the passage I'd advise translating it into English or just paraphrasing it if not sure. I'm not 100% sure but I don't actually think you'd get any marks for putting in a quote in French itself, as the question is designed to test your understanding by getting you to answer in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Golden rule of exams in language: Answer in the language of the question unless otherwise stated.

Hence you can of course get full marks for stating your opinion in English, if you wish to mention a quote from the passage I'd advise translating it into English or just paraphrasing it if not sure. I'm not 100% sure but I don't actually think you'd get any marks for putting in a quote in French itself, as the question is designed to test your understanding by getting you to answer in English.

Yeah I think you;d be better off just referencing what part of the text you got your answer from, eg - section 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

irishdub14 wrote: »

You don't get any extra marks for the French quote, but having said that if you translate it incorrectly you can be deducted marks for not fully understanding the text. The best way to quote is to literally copy and paste and not try an manipulate as you could end up forgetting to change a direct object or an agreement but usually people just put it in to fill up space. The easiest is just to reword the text from your understanding in English for Q6 and if you've a couple of extra lines - stick in the quote

Advertisement