Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Frequencies

• 25-06-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭

I am a total novice - apart from using a scanner at airshows !

The imminent arrival of the Volvo race to Galway will mean a lot more marine traffic. So I am trying to find out the main frequencies that are likely to be used ship to shore & vice versa.

I have a small handheld scanner. What is the typical range for line of sight across the sea ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Discodog wrote: »
    I am a total novice - apart from using a scanner at airshows !

The imminent arrival of the Volvo race to Galway will mean a lot more marine traffic. So I am trying to find out the main frequencies that are likely to be used ship to shore & vice versa.

I have a small handheld scanner. What is the typical range for line of sight across the sea ?

Thanks.

Have a look here - around 156MHz to 162MHz or so will be where most of the marine activity is:
    http://www.2e0jps.com/radio/marine/frequencies/

The sea is good for line of sight, no obstacles. :) I'd expect 5 to 10 miles no problem from a handheld scanner, so you should hear plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Ch 06 (156.300) Boat to boat communications

Ch 10 (156.500) Helicopter / tug operations

Ch 12 (156.600) Port operations (VTS)

Ch 14 (156.700) Harbour operations

Ch 16 (156.800) Calling and distress calls (lifeboat & Coast Guard helicopter)

Ch 37 (157.850) Yacht club/Marina operations

Ch 04 (160.800) Galway Coast Guard radio. Boats transmit on 156.200

Galway Coast Guard radio is operated from the Marine Rescue Sub Centre (MRSC) located at Valentia. Weather reports daily at 01.03, 04.03, 07.03, 10.03, 13.03...and so on. You're bound to hear boats reporting in before they set off on a trip with their boat details, # people on board and their trip details.
    http://www.dttas.ie/upload/IRCG_VHF_Network.gif

Committee/Marshall boats usually operate anywhere between Ch 68 and Ch 77 so what I'd suggest to do is program the high channels and just scan. You're bound to pick up something.

On a marine VHF radio set, Channel numbers go from 01 - 28 & 66 - 88. Channels in between are a mix of "private" channels which are manually programmed and for AIS/DSC use. Lifeboats use Ch 31 (156.550) for chatter between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to say that I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of marine traffic - we had a big event in Galway. The funny thing is that I have had this Maycom for years & only now have I remembered that it covers marine :D.

Advertisement