Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Geologist reckons Ireland is Atlantis

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zamboni wrote: »
    I thought they already found it in Pegasus?

shoo nerd shoooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

shoo nerd shoooo :D

I'm afraid you'll have to shoo too as you got the reference. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Arnold!?....Who's Arnold!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I remember watching some UFO crap on the Science channel and there is meant to be a mythical island steeped in UFO and Atlantis myths just off our west coast called Hy Brasil.

It is actually the place Brazil got its name from, well, so the programmes said.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhistoricmysteries.com%2Fhy-brasil-the-other-atlantis&ei=FNNjTsvyCsu0hAfv5t2nCg&usg=AFQjCNHXJ4UiDCHUrJn3V200Vo9cBRSJ3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 42 threestripes

surely whatever dwellings and stuff were ever there would have dissolved in all that salt water, so not a big pile wil ever be found, dam sexy brine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Already thanked

But I spewed my tea

Fuvking classic:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And its apparently true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Whoever chose the font for that blog needs a slap!

Nothing wrong with the font. It's the colour thats the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

4leto wrote: »
    I remember watching some UFO crap on the Science channel and there is meant to be a mythical island steeped in UFO and Atlantis myths just off our west coast called Hy Brasil.

It is actually the place Brazil got its name from, well, so the programmes said.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhistoricmysteries.com%2Fhy-brasil-the-other-atlantis&ei=FNNjTsvyCsu0hAfv5t2nCg&usg=AFQjCNHXJ4UiDCHUrJn3V200Vo9cBRSJ3Q

Never heard that one before!! Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

Actually more than like Atlantis was the island of Santorini, then called Thera in the Mediterranean Ocean about 100 KMs south of Greece. It was destoryed by an tidal wave and volcanic eruption. The description matches Atlantis. multicoloured bricked ruins, they worshipped the bull, they believed their civilization was founded by the giant Atlas.

Also the distance having it out in the Atlantic Ocean is believed to be a mistranslation of anicent Greek and the correct translation would have it in the location of Santorini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

nothing new there OP. England is most likely Atlantis. I doubt that people would differnetiate the two islands.

So the Atlantis Isles became the British Isles?....:D

Carefull. Theres no such place as the British Isles. Its Ireland and Britain or The Western European Archipeligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    Carefull. Theres no such place as the British Isles. Its Ireland and Britain or The Western European Archipeligo.

I prefer the British Isles I am use to that one. That doesn't make me feel less Irish, but I wish it made me feel more British.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yes, we are the most awesome country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

4leto wrote: »

There was a programme on TG4 a while back, where a few Aran Islanders claimed they could see the HyBrasil island manifest on the horizon. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation (or they could have just been a bit batty) but its a fascinating myth nonetheless.

There was a programme on TG4 a while back, where a few Aran Islanders claimed they could see the HyBrasil island manifest on the horizon. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation (or they could have just been a bit batty) but its a fascinating myth nonetheless.

A lot of mirages would appear in the ocean and if the Islanders would have heard the legend, that would explain the mirage.

I just hope there is oil there and lots of it made from the decayed bodies of sunken Atlantis heads. OK a bit more time needed, but..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Pretty sure Brazil got its name from its early major export, a dye made from brazilwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ireland Atlantis?

Well, it is a land of fiction and fable...

so yeah, i can see that.

At the risk of wandering off the subject the term was dropped by Britain in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

This chap reckons that all of civilization as we know it came from Irish origins, and throws Atlantis in the mix for good measure. We basically taught the Chinese how to make gunpowder, built the pyramids while back-packing in Egypt, and then let the Britons into our secrets of empire and subjugation, which was probably a bad idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

beans wrote: »
    This chap reckons that all of civilization as we know it came from Irish origins, and throws Atlantis in the mix for good measure. We basically taught the Chinese how to make gunpowder, built the pyramids while back-packing in Egypt, and then let the Britons into our secrets of empire and subjugation, which was probably a bad idea...

He is also the dogiest looking bastard on the interweb. Its all bollocks, there was no atlantis, it was a literary construct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

We should change the name of the country to Atlants immediately and have a fish as our national emblem and change the national flag colours to green white and goldfish.

I wonder where they buried the stargate???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biggins wrote: »
    The weight of latest evident says that its possible a island/small location island in the Mediterranean, off Sicily.
    Possibly even Cyprus (http://discoveryofatlantis.com/).
    Don't suppose we will have ever 100% proof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption One hundred cubic kilometers of ejecta so they say.

would kinda wipe out any evidence of earlier concentric calderas

if you swap units then the plains of Crete are about the right size too

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Pretty sure Brazil got its name from its early major export, a dye made from brazilwood.

You are more then likely right as I heard that on a UFO programme that Brazil got its name from Hy Brasil,,Or which came first the name of the tree or the country.

I am not a believer in "Atlantis" as such, I would go for the Minoan theory and Homer was a great story teller, which is kind of obvious as we still hear his stories today.

EDIT For those interested, there is actually a Doc about the destruction of the Minoans on BBC4 tonight at 10.00 "Ancient apocalypse" and see does it convince you that this were the Atlantis myth came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

i was in atlantic city last year, it was feckin ****e.

beans wrote: »

God Almighty, its a great pity we taught everybody else then and kept none of that knowledge for ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For myself, I think if such a place did exist in the past, the Antarctic would be a likely place.
    Why?

The American National Science Foundation has acknowledged that several indicators could be pointing that direction.
    These include:

* A commonly shared legend of an advanced civilization destroyed by water—as evidenced in the myth of Atlantis and the Great Flood of Genesis.

* The discovery of a mysterious "anomaly" in Antarctica.

* The use of American military personnel to construct a secret base near Lake Vostok in East Antarctica.

* The existence of at least one volcano that some believe could melt the ice cap and wreak a global cataclysm.
    (Whats happening this very year? SEE HERE)

* It was the volcanic destruction of Thira - modern-day Santorin - that inspired the ancient Greek philosopher Plato to pen the original story of Atlantis nine hundred years later. However, Platos fourth century B.C. account claimed that Atlantis sunk nine thousand years earlier. Taken literally - and combined with recent revelations - Platos ancient clues suggest that Antarctica may, in fact, prove to be the site of the legendary Atlantis.

* The VERY ancient Piri Reis' map - which shows an ancient land at the south pole which until recently we (in modern times) couldn't prove was there.
    Now we can and hello, there under the ice is the very lands which ancient people knew about hundreds, possibly thousands of years ago!
    Combined with earth-crust displacement theory, it could be very well that an ancient land (of some kind which DOES exist under all the present day south pole ice), could be the original place that many myths and legends have been created around.
    Note: Prior to the supposed sudden shift of the Earths crust previously, at around the end of the last Ice Age in the northern hemisphere, the climate of Antarctica would have been stable, perhaps for a great deal longer than 10,000 years. And if the facts are right in suggesting that Antarctica’s latitude in that epoch had been about 2000 miles (30 degrees of arc) further north than it is today, it would have enjoyed a Mediterranean to sub-tropical climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

For myself, I think if such a place did exist in the past, the Antarctic would be a likely place.

Sure did ya not see that documentary about ....what was it called now again....aliens vs other aliens with humans in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why?

The American National Science Foundation has acknowledged that several indicators could be pointing that direction.
    These include:

* A commonly shared legend of an advanced civilization destroyed by water—as evidenced in the myth of Atlantis and the Great Flood of Genesis.

* The discovery of a mysterious "anomaly" in Antarctica.

* The use of American military personnel to construct a secret base near Lake Vostok in East Antarctica.

* The existence of at least one volcano that some believe could melt the ice cap and wreak a global cataclysm.
    (Whats happening this very year? SEE HERE)

* It was the volcanic destruction of Thira - modern-day Santorin - that inspired the ancient Greek philosopher Plato to pen the original story of Atlantis nine hundred years later. However, Platos fourth century B.C. account claimed that Atlantis sunk nine thousand years earlier. Taken literally - and combined with recent revelations - Platos ancient clues suggest that Antarctica may, in fact, prove to be the site of the legendary Atlantis.

* The VERY ancient Piri Reis' map - which shows an ancient land at the south pole which until recently we (in modern times) couldn't prove was there.
    Now we can and hello, there under the ice is the very lands which ancient people knew about hundreds, possibly thousands of years ago!
    Combined with earth-crust displacement theory, it could be very well that an ancient land (of some kind which DOES exist under all the present day south pole ice), could be the original place that many myths and legends have been created around.
    Note: Prior to the supposed sudden shift of the Earths crust previously, at around the end of the last Ice Age in the northern hemisphere, the climate of Antarctica would have been stable, perhaps for a great deal longer than 10,000 years. And if the facts are right in suggesting that Antarctica’s latitude in that epoch had been about 2000 miles (30 degrees of arc) further north than it is today, it would have enjoyed a Mediterranean to sub-tropical climate.

I read that link.

What a lot of tripe.

"what if, what if"

Sounds like some over active boyscouts at a campfire.

Bull****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

can't believe what my bleary eyes are reading, wading through tis thread. like patrick duffy when the credits roll

Advertisement