Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bushcraft Club thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesieboy

Best of luck Donal & Maire on your travels and thanks so much for all you've done. There would be no club without your hard work. We'll do our best to keep things running to your high standards in your absence!

Stay safe in the Canadian wilderness :)

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

didn't know Donal was off. been ages since i communicated with anyone here. remember the very first club meet well. shame i didn't get to many more.
    Donal started something special with the bushcraft club. i wish him well in whatever he is doing.... and you lot, dont go break your new toy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

.... and you lot, dont go break your new toy. ;)
    We haven't been able to get the wrapper of it yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

neolithic wrote: »
    We haven't been able to get the wrapper of it yet :D

wat, with the number of sharp things you have in your posession? lol
    here, i will lend ya one.
    28604_1430837020465_1519073567_1108944_1570642_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celt_Ginger1

wat, with the number of sharp things you have in your posession? lol
    here, i will lend ya one.
    28604_1430837020465_1519073567_1108944_1570642_n.jpg

Love the Saw. Really nice job there.

• Advertisement

Tim , thats a beauty, it reminds me of the first time I was out with The Bushcraft Club I brought a bow saw , the guys were looking at me as if to say where are you going with that. It was in November and as it got dark the temp went down to between -4 to-6 . We had spent the time before it was dark finding dead wood and cutting it up (bow saw) . As we sat beside the fire it was quite warm as we moved away it was very cold . I am pleased to say that all of the members that came out with us that night are still with us. Our next meet will be in Nov so I think the Bow Saw will be out again. Great to see that you have found us Gary, How does that bs compare to the rm bowsaw? Tim if you come across an anvil please let us know.
    Tony.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celt_Ginger1

I didn't like the Ray Mears Bow saw. The blade had a tendency to wander. It just didn't want to cut in a straight line. Having used a number of bow saws, my favourite one is a Bob Dustrude folding Buck saw. It's a superb bit of bushcraft kit. Folds completely flat, is very light weight and, at a full 24 inches gives a good long cut as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Le Loup

Your group sounds like a lot of fun, and if I was not 14 thousand miles away I would definately join you.
    All the best.

Thanks for the kind words, you're welcome to join us if you are ever over this way.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Hello!
    Can you guys recommend a website to buy a mora? i tried lakeland bushcraft but they don't ship to ireland.

Eoin

• Advertisement

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/c-1-92-304/ or http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Products/Knives/page/2/ . These are only two of many places. I have used both and have had good service from both. Check out the postage on both to see who will give you the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9&vmcchk=1&Itemid=9

No postage fee from here ... I have used them myself several times and can recommend them.

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Cheers lads, thanks for the responses.
    Tony I'll chat to you at the next meet and decide on one.
    Thanks again,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Hello guys I'm originally from Mongolia and Didnt know the meaning of the word "BUSHCRAFT" until a few seconds ago.(English is my second language):D This is the exact thread I have been looking for ages...I used todo this kinda stuff when i was kid.Hopefully I'll learn alot of stuff from u's:) most of the above photos look cool.

We were back in Cavan again last weekend. We stayed Friday and Saturday night. We spent time around the fire carving and getting back to basics. Friday night was very relaxed around the camp fire, I arrived about 8.30 the fire was lit and the kettle was on thanks to our newest member.
    As usual the talk around the fire was very entertaining. Saturday was spent looking at some of the plants we have in the area , looking at the various tinders local to us and different methods of fire lighting. We also found a large Birch Polypore which can be used as a plaster when cut into thin strips ( as some one who was there can prove, no names mentioned).
    We then spent time making some camp furniture and carving . A great weekend with temps just above 0'C . Looking forward to the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Le Loup

Warming up here but plenty of rain, so I guess trekking and camping will be slowing down untill next autumn. The rain means lots of frogs, and frogs attract snakes. A beggar when you are weeding in the garden!
    Thought I would post our latest group promo video. Unfortunately it has the wrong forum address on it, but I still think it is a great 30 second film.
    Our new forum is at: http://eighteenthcenturylivinghistory.freeforums.org/

Hi Will,
    Thanks for your kind words and we are always intrested in listening to advice and stories about our chosen subject. We arrange weekends away eleven months of the year through Summer and Winter, we find that we are learning all the time and there is nothing like getting out and experiencing it for yourself. We don't promote commercial courses as a Club . We have as a Club attended community weekends in various parts of Ireland. I have copied the introduction thats on our website below.

The Bushcraft club is Ireland's first official club dedicated towards the study and practice of Bushcraft and primitive living skills. The aim of our club is to practice the skills of bushcraft and primitive living in a community of like minded people. We do not run any commercial courses but we welcome complete beginners to veterans of bushcraft. All we ask in return is respect for other members and for the resources which we use. If you are interested in joining the club or you simply just wish to talk about bushcraft matters, please check out our forum or email us.

Because we are a non commericial Club,I wish you luck with your new business but this may not be the best place to advertise.
    Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 will and away

Tony,

Thanks for the message.... I'll be sure not to use this tread for advertising purposes.

I'll keep track of it though and maybe we'll get to bump into each other out there.

It's nice to have people to share a bit of knowledge with and to learn from each others experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Enjoying the new role as president Tony? ;-) How did the Ray Mears thing go? Ill have to update you guys with some photos from Canada. Havent done much but I think I found some Black Bear tracks in Whistler. Then again, you sometimes find what you want to find :-)

Looks like this is turning into "The Bushcraft Sales Tread"
    T.

• Advertisement

Commercial Posting
    • Topics/posts that contain commercial advertising will be both edited and locked. If you wish to buy ad space, contact sales@boards.ie.
    • This includes charities running events.
    • It also includes businesses running free events/courses/whatever.
    • Commercial threads will be deleted, repeat offenders will banned.
    • Boards.ie is not market research tool - try to use the Outdoor Pursuits forum as one and your thread/post will be deleleted. You will be banned.
    Davy ,
    Thanks for your post, I have seen your website and admire your products. It's great to see an Irishcraftsman. As a member of the Bushcraft Club we are trying to keep this tread non commercial .
    Thanks
    T.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Agreed, guys we would really like to support the home grown industry for bushrcraft. Really we would but there is a place for it and its not on this thread or the boards im afraid. If you are interested in bushcraft and want to advertise, than contact the club directly for a link. This thread would not be viewed if it was full of Ads and right now it has good ratings because of its current content. Dont take it as a personal attack, its just how the forum works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Sorry folks, been AFK for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭hick

Lads pleasure to meet yis yertderday up in Cavan @ club HQ
    Have to say much respect to everyone for pitchin up a tarp in this

76FADBB511F94B2F815CA5564D428115-0000326051-0002126946-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

but luckily enough we were ready for anything mother nature threw at us, Noah dropped by and knocked up a handy vessel, god bless all who sail in her :D

052695EBC0914CFDAA9D71396CA6583B-0000326051-0002126944-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Thankfully before we were all torn assunder with the hunger Jim pitched in with his latest purchase :confused: I mean accessory which he's had for ages. Of course it was dark by the time we figured out how to turn the feckin thing on!!!

70B88770C64048169905521073463FCD-0000326051-0002126942-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Look forward to getting together at the next meet which may be under a tarp with a laptop and 3g card in phoenix park by all accounts!!

PS I believe the committee may deciding on whether calls/txt's may be made after dark from now on

PPS thanks to Andrew for putting me onto the right thread!!! ;)

Great to have you along Hick.
    The first meet of the New Year.The weather was pretty wet. It's always good to have your gear put to the test. I'm looking forward to next month already.
    I have to say that modern technology is great, a phone that tells you it's raining when you are ..................sitting in the ...............rain :D
    T

and it begins

1AAD6B724AF54F9CA01AC3C4B286340D-0000326051-0002133960-00320L-89ACF62472A047B5A00C7AF49BF665BA.jpg

Ah ... I remember the days .... new packages arriving weekly ... pretending you've had the gear for years ... hiding the credit card statement ....:D

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nagura

Guys,
    Really enjoyed the weekend and good to meet you all.Thanks Andrew for your help with the Tarp, practice makes perfect!!

I'm raging i missed the Feb meet in the Galtees but hope you all had a good time. the weather seemed a bit rough, but i'm sure this just added to the outing.

hope to see you all for the March meet.

Gearóid

No bother Gearoid, hopefully we will see you next month.

It was a bit damp last weekend alright :D

We have appointed a new club secretary/PR guru who was supposed to put up a report from the hike but he mustn't have dried out enough yet to go near electricity. I'm sure he will be along soon with a few pics from the weekend ;)

Andrew

• Advertisement

The 2nd outing of the year took the club down south this time.

The 10am start kicked off at 10.45 much to the chagrin of The President who is currently considering a new tardiness policy. The commitee is to ratify th new "If they turn up late they'll be left behind in future policy" at the next meet, this will superceed the "Should of left 'em behind" policy that was tabled on the day.

The camp was preceeded by a 5k hike up the side of the mountain and tree line through what what started out as a light rain but gradually increased throughout the day. Not long up the road I took some footage of the impressive flow of what is normally a large mountain stream but that day it was nature showing off. At this spot last May a few of the guys popped in for a paddle, needless to say there were no takers this day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60HVuakfwI

The hike although wet was great and despite the beautiful views the highlight was the river crossing. Due to the route and heavy rain we were faced with trying to cross the river at an awkward point just before we arrived at the site.
    10AE002565D84F2A9ED47DC94FE681CE-0000326051-0002159066-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    A lot of scouting was required and minor reroute to find an appropriate point to cross. Luckily for us we came across a point where there were some stones and we were able to cross using the fallen branches from on old dead beech tree.
    E5C637F31A744A9BA62320595BF89C4D-0000326051-0002159064-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

We finally got to the site at about 14.30 and nearly everyone chipped in setting up the tarp for the camp and getting firewood, which was some craic given how wet it all was. We got the fire going about 16.00 and some folk began setting up their shelters while others continued getting the firewood. There were 8 of us out on the day so plenty was needed, incidently 2 newbies. Thankfully everyone got set up cos as ye can see below it didn't clear up much!
    151BF6F7C3584BD488EAB7BA77871239-0000326051-0002159078-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Most of us got dinner by 19.00 and then a few headed off for an early night, yes some of us need 14 hours sleep it seems!!!! The rest of us stayed up till around 10 before heading to bed. The main theme from this trip was ensuring you are prepared in future. Whether it's the right kit, from shoes to wet gear, or just a map so you know where to go, planning a trip such as this with as many folk in these conditions means that you have to be well prepared and I think the whole team got a good lesson out of this trip.

The camp rose round 8.30 and we got to making fire and breakfast
    and some of us got to enjoy this view over a bowl of porridge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMq6SHeRftI

We took a more direct route back down to the carpark and got back down in good time, hitting the cars at around 12

A motley damp crew!
    A298ADBF83894240AC330C826C8FE019-0000326051-0002159074-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

More updates to follow later
    thanks to gris for the photos

Advertisement