Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

• 23-04-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Is anybody getting tired of the Ray D'arcy show. well not so much the show but rather him and his moral highground. If i'm looking for an opinionated gobs**te, there are plenty of other shows. His show used to be just about havin a laugh and not takin things too seriously but in the last year or so he cant seem to talk about anything without giving a big opinionated spiel about whats right, (coz if its his opinion, then obviously it has to be right). Bring back the old days when he used to brighten up our mornings.

Mod Note:

There is no reason to discuss the presenters personal life here. This thread is to do with the Radio Show itself and not the private life of Ray D'Arcy. Anyone found to be dragging threads off topic will incur at least a ban for 24 hours

Splinter

Mod Note 2:
    What this thread is about; it's to talk about the show but if all people are willing to provide is a bucket of bile and a mob opinion of negativity I'd suggest that they are in the wrong place because this is not 4Chan...

Nody

Ray Darcy - The Verdict. Have YOUR say! 984 votes

Get off the air. Your time has passed!
    0% 0 votes
    Still love you Ray!
    68% 670 votes
    Havn't noticed a change over time
    31% 314 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

:eek: I swear im not stalking you Mark!

Something has been bugging me about the show for the last while i have to say. Im not sure that its his opinion on things but theres definitely something there that has started getting to me, possibly the amount of time they waste on pointless stuff...not 100% sure though.

And seeing as its on the radio as i type, the Ray Foley show drives me up the walls. I cant stand the way Ray Foley waffles on about stuff, and i know "Its only a bit of fun for your lunchtime..." but sometimes i think people want to listen to things that actually occupy their minds a bit more than what town in Ireland produces the most lightbulb filaments etc... FFS :mad:

*** walks to radio and switches to Q102 ***

Filament Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Head wrote:
    :

*** walks to radio and switches to Q102 ***

Don't! Switch to Phantom 105.2 !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed the show last week when Tom Dunne was presenting..... (alot more than usual) - better music than usual, and lots of laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Darcy never did much for me. Prefer Newstalk or Radio one at that time. Ray Foleys show can be ok but same music on it all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TmB wrote:
    Enjoyed the show last week when Tom Dunne was presenting..... (alot more than usual) - better music than usual, and lots of laughs.

Yeah, great easy listening. He's very good.

I was stuck listening to Phil Cawley in the mornings, Ann-Marie was covering Tomm Dunne, ended up listening to NewsTalk highlights - wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

He is starting to turn in to a young Joe Duffy. The whole '..well Im not saying Im great or anything but I think/know that xyz is totally out of order...' routine was always a bit boring. He just gets worse and worse though. Grumpy old men how are you. Imagine he came from the Den where they spent the whole day laughing. Phantom is not the shining light it once was either. The English guy doing the afternoon show is painful. As for Phil Cawley - its like an american TV show with canned laughter. Fake and a funny colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Tom Dunne was ridiculously good. far superior to D'arcy. Was laughing my head off on the bus on the way in to work. Dunne's so witty and so quick it's hilarious. D'arcy is being way too political in my opinion which is putting me off - he nearly had an orgasm about Bertie coming in for an interview and then always going on about Enda's so bad etc. I'm not voting for either of them by the way but it just sticks in my gut that he's being so impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

R'Arcy has always annoyed me. He tries to think he is a student again or something and is not even funny. If you are looking for decent talk with a laugh then Sean Moncrief (on NewsTalk) is good.

Ever since the Ray D'Arcy show started winning awards and topping polls they seem to be letting it all go to their head and started having a conscience, which is never good for silly talk radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Never been a huge fan of him on the radio. Does anyone else find the way he reads out texts extremely annoying? Just the tone of voice he uses is irritating.
    When some band has played all the texts read "oh my god ray, so and so is such a legend".
    It's like people who text into the show actually think they're his friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I only started listening recently due to a change of job. He's alright, better than gerry ryan thats for sure. Have to say Tom dunne was excellent last week. He'd do well to move as I find his evening show needs an makeover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

I tuned in this morning but if there's anything worse than having to listen to people telling you about the dream they had last night or a parent prattling on about their new baby it is someone going on and on about a dream they had about their new baby!

I tuned out quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm a big fan of the D'Arcy show BUT..... his show has undergone some changes recently, what with half his team getting pregnant and going on maternity leave. I agree he can be a little grumpy/patronising at times. Still though he makes for an entertaining listen and he does sometimes hit the political nail on the head e.g. drink driving

Tom Dunne was ridiculously good last week, I never knew he could be so funny. He always seems a lot more serious on his evening show.

Also I think the producer had the hots for Dunne judging but the constant giggly girly replies to any of his amusing anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

tom dunne was very witty last week alright. i was kinda dissapointed when i heard darcy this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cilldara

The Ray D'Arcy show has definitely gone downhill in recent months. If you want to hear somebody go on about every single experience with their new child, this is top listening but for the other 99.5% of us, it's getting boring.
    The difference when Tom Dunne was in last week was huge - he had fun, and it was great to listen to. Yes, Tom referred to his own kid, but usually only when prompted by listeners/texters, not as content matter for the show itself.
    I was left thinking "why can't Tom Dunne be on before 7pm", cos he did so well at it, and "Off The Ball" on Newstalk claims my ears on the drive home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭kinda lost

I used to love it but whats been said here is so true,theyve gone too serious and ray aint as fun as he used to be,Tom dunne on the other hand is fantastic!!! But ray Foley Dear God FFS how on earth did he ever get a job as a radio dj :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Was wondering when the penny would drop, refreshing thread nevertheless not the usual half-wits whose posts consist of "Ray is great". D'Arcy is a young Larry Gogan in that he is a nice person with little talent. I mean that road safety nonsense, the arrogance of thinking that by calling people ****ing eejits was going to save lives. As himself would say "how mad is that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I posted on this board a long time ago about how bad and smug Darcy is on the radio these days and got slated for it. Good to see so many people agreeing with me now, he really is irratatng. I just had to laugh at his drink driving campaign everytime I heard it, I just can't take it seriously.

And to echo what others have said, Tom Dunne was fantastic last week, he was a great laugh constantly through the week, Dr. Bill beats any Gift Grub character too and when he stands in for Dempsey he does a great job too. His talent, despite playing some cracking music, is wasted on his evening show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I couldn't agree more. A couple of years ago his show was good, worth listening to, but he now has too many sidekicks that do nothing for the show, and there seems to be too much talk and not enough music. And then ad breaks every 10 minutes. I think all those awards has gone to their heads. He's talking to Gerry Adams this morning, and some of the stuff he's coming out with just makes you cringe.

As for an alternative, I've recently been tuning to Phantom, discovered only about a week ago, lots of decent homegrown music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've never been able to listen to d'arcy for more than 2 minutes at a time. He talks a huge amount of **** and just comes off sounding like some smug little prick. Not to the mention the music he plays is ****ing awful....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

The Den was 15 yrs ago he was good then, but he was talking to puppets. Have to agree about Tom Dunne though easily the best DJ I have heard on Irish radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

TmB wrote:

Have to agree. I don't really like Dunne in the evening, his music gets very boring after a while and I tend to just switch channels. Dunne himself as a presenter/DJ I enjoyed a lot in this mainstream slot and he adjusted well to the change in music policy.

I've always disliked D'Arcy's show for many reaons some of which have been mentioned here. D'Arcy himself I don't mind though...but he is getting very full of his own opinions lately.
    The only reason that this show has been such a success is that ANYTHING is better than listening to that idiot Ryan...

Foley's a tosser....which is a shame since he seems about the only one on that station who actually chooses good playlists and tracks...such a pity his show's format is so old and busted. Try hard funny routine, deeply ironic news reports and the witless twitterings of co-hosts who just got their media studies degrees are about as entertaining as having teeth pulled.
    I get the feeling that Foley himself would be a much better hist if he didn't have this tag team bullsh*t going on in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wertz wrote:
    Dunne himself as a presenter/DJ I enjoyed a lot in this mainstream slot and he adjusted well to the change in music policy.
    Agreed - Tom Dunne was very good.
    The only reason that this show has been such a success is that ANYTHING is better than listening to that idiot Ryan...
    There's more to it as to why D'Arcy's show is successful; saying it's solely because of the lack of competition is a little unfair, but I know where you're coming from - Ryan definitely makes being successful easier!
    I get the feeling that Foley himself would be a much better hist if he didn't have this tag team bullsh*t going on in the background.
    Again, you could have a point; Foley was very good when he was filling in for D'Arcy on his own.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

To Rays show has lost a good bit since Jenny and Mairead went off an leave, they reigned him in a lot.
    I'm on the road a good bit during the day and would listen to D'arcy, Foley, Moncreiff,(channel hop a bit) then Off the Ball.
    As for Foley, hes a vast improvement on Tony Fenton in that slot, at least Foley gives me a few giggles and some good music.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Liam Byrne wrote:

There's more to it as to why D'Arcy's show is successful; saying it's solely because of the lack of competition is a little unfair, but I know where you're coming from - Ryan definitely makes being successful easier!

Okay fair point and I'm being too definite in my statement.
    But certainly D'Arcy's show took to the airwaves at a time of (IMO) stagnation in Irish radio....at a national level it was either 2FM or TodayFM if you fell into a certain age bracket.
    At a more local level you had....emm....local radio. Or you had Dublin stations in that area....but on a national level it was basically down to the top two and Ryan's show lacks a lot of music and seemingly a lot of content that's important to the 18-34s...D'Arcy's show filled that gap and continues our long tradition of promoting kid's TV presenters as top morning jocks. Those two main factors combined to give the Ray D'Arcy show a distinct edge and an obvious appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Wertz wrote:
    Try hard funny routine, deeply ironic news reports and the witless twitterings of co-hosts who just got their media studies degrees are about as entertaining as having teeth pulled.

I know this is related to Ray Foley and not Ray Darcy but i absolutely could not agree more, i have found it hard to verbalise my feelings on Ray Foley and his show and this hits the nail on the head completely...

Nail Head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

i used to really enjoy the show but it has gone a bit stale recently... I think it whas something to do with Jenny & mariead having babies & not including Will enough, i think he's hilarious... But since Jenny & Mairead left its been far more of Ray on his own talking and jumping from crusade to crusade (eircom's customer service - esb's meter men...) and yes, i think the fun has gone from it a bit... You'll notice that fix-it friday is far better than the rest of the week, i think this has something to do with Jenny Kelly... Perhaps when (if?) she returns from maternity full-time things will improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Everything said is probably true , although I still think he is half decent. That word that everyone seems to say ... 'stale' comes in to my head too. I'm sure people who tune in to Darcy tomorrow for the first time (if any) would find it fresh and appealing. But for most of us, it's played out. With no dis-respect intended, the baby bit is definately boring at this stage.

Wertz wrote:
    Foley's a tosser....which is a shame since he seems about the only one on that station who actually chooses good playlists and tracks

Disagree on both points! think Foley is great at what he is doing.. but not going to rave on about it here, cos know certain bords folk have a dislike to him. The music however, isn't great. It's the only show (along with Tim Kelly & The Blast) on the station that sounds too formatted, and Foley certainly doesn't have a say in the playlist IMO. It's complete mainstream , which for me is too repettitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

but for most of us, it's played out. With no dis-respect intended, the baby bit is definately boring at this stage.

Used to listen to him every day, haven't listened in ages, just drift in occasionally across the dial to hear whats happening.

I think I said it here before, when he started getting it on with Jenny Kelly, I thought the show had changed. The baby sealed that deal. When a programme starts off with a single DJ, and then his back-room associates become part of the zoo, and then their personal lives get entangled, it becomes more a soap than an actual radio programme.

I often think that the programme is just for Ray D'arcy personal life development, if any listeners pick up advice, its merely incidental.

And almost 30 replies in just over a day to a thread on the radio forum speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭theKED

I bet D'Arcy will run for election one day. He thinks he can change the world with all his goodie, goodie two shoes approach to life.
    He use to be funny, but I agree he thinks he's still a student, young, hip. Oh bertie only came on to the show to canvas to "young" people.
    Wake up Ray your not young. :eek:

And as for the gob****es that are on air with him talking about babies day in day out. :eek:
    Congrats to this person and that person who's just had a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Ray's show used to be decent but is now is serious danger of becoming radio fodder. Its still a million times better than Fenton (how the hell is he still on air? He's from the smashy and nicey school of Djing!)The best thing about Ray's show is probably Ian O'Doherty in my opinion. Like him or not he talks some interesting points, gets people texting and stops Ray and the "gang" talking about the babies. I have to say though even Ian is getting soft it seems. He seems to blab on about his dogs more so than issues of irritation. Maybe he's saving hte best stuff for the late late. ;) Foley is irritating. Not nearly as bad as Fenton but Foley has managed to have a stale show in record time. That celebrity news bit that he's ripped off of Chris Morris and The Day Today show is woeful in the extreme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement