Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin county sheriff repossessing my stuff

• 16-08-2005 7:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience dealing with the Dublin county sheriff. He called round yesterday while I was out, He left a letter stating that he was aloud to use force to gain access to my apartment to take charge of my personnel belongings. I'm worried that he might try and take some of my flat mates stuff as well. Does anyone know how long they actually wait before braking down my door, and if he takes my flatmates stuff. Will my flatmate need receipts to prove the stuff belongs to him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

More info please!

And are we talking about Ireland here because I didn't know County Sheriffs existed in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This looks like a situation where you need to conslt a solicitor, pronto. Do you have a separate room? Maybe you could restrict the seizure to stuff in there?
    Seriously, lawyer up.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you owe money?

Is there a court order against you? If not I don't think anything can be enforced.

Can you offer the sherriff anything?

Lawyer up. If necessary go to www.flac.ie and explain what stage you are at.

Free Legal Advice Centres
    13, Lower Dorset Street
    Dublin 1

Tel: (01) 874 5690
    Fax: (01) 874 5320
    E-mail: info@flac.ie

The county sheriff (usually the same person as the county registrar and the electoral returning officer) is a state officer with the right/duty to enforce court orders.

Brief reference here http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court_court_appearance.html?search=sheriff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

just put all the gear you don't want taken in a room mates room, he can't touch their ****...

also, wtf is a county ''sheriff''? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

iTS Ireland alright. Dublin County Sheriff. It's actually my flatmate he's looking for. There is courth Injunction and yes he does owe money. The property is to be sold to repay it. I' am worried that they might take my stuff as well. My flatmate has no intention of letting the Sheriff in. I have no receipts or anything like that to prove the stuff is mine.

• Advertisement

Mark everything that is yours as yours, label it or invest in a permanent marker. Put everything that is yours in your room. Invest in a small padlock to keep your flatmate out.

Contact the sheriff and explain its "not me".

A sheriff can enter forceably and can get the garda to assist.

List of sheriffs http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/sheriff.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

And make sure you're not taken advantage of by an asshole like LundiMardi.

Will one of us need to be present before he enters. Does anyone know how soon after issusing the letter he can enter the apartment. Is it office hours etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stevee wrote:
    I have no receipts or anything like that to prove the stuff is mine.
    You don't need them. You just say "this is mine" and he can't take it. Probably best to move your more expensive stuff into your own room.

I understand he can enter now, or anytime he wants, by himself or with his agents, you / flat mate need not be present. In practice, it will be office hours for small stuff.

Have you phoned solicitor? FLAC?

dahamsta, no insults please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think it'd be very advisable for ye to be in the flat when he calls so you can explain what is yours, what's your flatmates and discuss the monetary value he's placing on the items he's repossessing. Haggling wih him could be worth a few hundred euros to you.

dahamsta wrote:

wtf are you talking about?

Its in the region of E4000 he owe's. He hasn't a hope in hell of covering this with his property. Will he take clothes,games, dvds, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Stevee wrote:
    Its in the region of E4000 he owe's. He hasn't a hope in hell of covering this with his property. Will he take clothes,games, dvds, etc
    he can't take anything that's yours if you don't owe the money, any dvds, games that are yours, take them and put them in your room.

LundiMardi wrote:
    he can't take anything that's yours if you don't owe the money, any dvds, games that are yours, take them and put them in your room.

Will the sheriff not require proof that the stuff is mine

Stevee wrote:
    There are two arguments (1) he may only take things that have realiseable value - his clothes don't fall in this bracket. (2) he may take things that make him pay up - things that impinge on his lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

dahamsta wrote:
    ?
    banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

If its yours all you have to do is say that its yours and he cannot touch it. Receipts wouldnt be necessary for items like lamps, radios and toasters. But i would advise that if you have a computer/fridge/television/furniture that is quiet expensive to get the receipts for them. You should keep those receipts anyway in case of breakdown and warranty and stuff like that. He cant take them if you say its yours but he may ask you to prove that it is yours at some later date.
    If all comes to all. Get the stuff that is yours out of the house immediately. Store it at a friends place. Make sure its not obvious that you have cleared all your valuables. Leave stuff behind that makes a home a home without the expensive stuff.

Dont pass this advice onto your friend. If he owes money he owes money and he has to pay it. Saying that he has no intention of leaving the sheriff in is just daft as he doesnt have a choice. The sheriff will have the backing of the courts and the guards. He has no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stevee wrote:
    Will the sheriff not require proof that the stuff is mine
    Nope, he'd have to prove otherwise. You're not liable, therefore you don't have to get involved at all. Although I would advise perhaps ringing the relevant department yourself and making it clear that he lives in rented accomodation, and you're worried about your stuff being taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

dahamsta wrote:
    Gordon wrote:
    ?
    banned

Well i was banned for 3 weeks, still am from AH for saying exactly that to somebody! So i don't see why not! Ah no seriously i don't think something that small should constitute a ban, a warning yes.

Hopefully WWM will answer my PM today, i think its very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

The County Sheriff is probably a guy called Brendan or John.....I have dealings with them not on a personal level but on a professional level....they are entitled to take your property in part payment of the debts you have outstanding.

This isn't something that they just decided to do you would have been given written notification of Court Dates etc. and been given an opportunity to repay the debt......the best thing you can do now is contact the company who are looking to repossess your property and try and enter into an arrangement with them......most companies are willing to enter into an agreement as really they don't want your belongings they woud much prefer the money.

If you need any advice you can PM me I work in the legal profession and deal with Sheriffs on a nearly daily bases...but one piece of advice I will give you, is the worst thing you can do is ignore the warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OldCustomer

If the debtor presents the Sheriff with a statutory declaration to the effect that there are no goods belonging to him at that address, that should result in the Sheriff sending a "no goods" certificate to the creditor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gordon wrote:
    ?
    banned

I've no idea what dahamsta's post meant, but maybe he was saying,
    "And make sure you're not taken advantage of by an asshole, like LundiMardi [was]."

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've no idea what dahamsta's post meant, but maybe he was saying,
    "And make sure you're not taken advantage of by an asshole, like LundiMardi [was]."
    dahamsta meant that LundiMardi's suggestion was suggesting illegal activity and fraud.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The OP has completely changed his story from his initial post. First he was being sought and he was worried about his flatmate's stuff, now it's the other way around??

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

stevee wrote:
    I'm worried that he might try and take some of my flat mates stuff as well.

and
    Stevee wrote:
    It's actually my flatmate he's looking for. I am worried that they might take my stuff as well.

???

• Advertisement

It's actually my flat mate who is trouble with the sheriff. But I didn't think i would be able to get as much constructive help if people thought it wasn't me that needed the help

Advertisement