Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sony xperia s ics update

• 25-06-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

no sign of update by 3 ireland, so i decided to do it manually by sonys own forums, first thing i noticed was no 3 screen on boot up and phone is way faster better on battery and screen touch sensitivity, transforms phone in my opinion other opinions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no sign of update by 3 ireland, so i decided to do it manually by sonys own forums, first thing i noticed was no 3 screen on boot up and phone is way faster better on battery and screen touch sensitivity, transforms phone in my opinion other opinions appreciated

There's been less fingers in the pie so to say, so 3 haven't got their grubby hands on the version you now have so you've less bloatware etc to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

so thats the reason, pardon my ignorance so what your saying is its the stripped out sony xperia world update that networks add their stuff to and that slows down the phone bit like windows straight, or windows from a manufacturer like dell who put in all their apps an slow down the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

so thats the reason, pardon my ignorance so what your saying is its the stripped out sony xperia world update that networks add their stuff to and that slows down the phone bit like windows straight, or windows from a manufacturer like dell who put in all their apps an slow down the computer

Essentially the same yes, 3 will get a ROM developer to add their own apps that many people don't want (bloatware) taking up system resources that otherwise wouldn't, they may also try to restrict things like VoIP apps or tethering (just an example, I don't think they do) and in general this will make the ROM less efficient than a clean ROM from Sony.

any phone in future i am going to flash like this, everything works flawlessy not like when i bought it. Skype, hotspot, and emails and connecting to my macbook which was a nightmare. sony getting its act together. i thought ics was supposed to slow down the phone due to having more options but its way faster than gingerbread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Comer1

Can you post a link or send me a PM to where you got the update.

Thanks

• Advertisement

download the generic firmware http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1723610 and flastool back up your phone to pc companion and synchronize your gmail account which if set on auto sync will be done automatically saved the firmware and flash tool to my desktop opened flash tool to install on computer and copied the firmware into it and it flashed in 3 minutes here is a link on sony forums to do it http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/41609 any problems i will help how i done this in more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i thought ics was supposed to slow down the phone due to having more options but its way faster than gingerbread

ICS is heavier, but gb( old software) was optimized for slow single cores, ics was designed for dual core phones with lots of ram.

Ive got a good bump in battery life from the update. Face unlock is fun too. The thing that annoys me is the lack of burst in the camera.

is your update network or the sony one which network you with

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sony have only released updates for like 12 SI numbers, we wont see a Three branded one for at least a month.

I've flashed the CH generic(Swiss).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Meteor have released thier update

• Advertisement

is it the firmware update 3 released last week 6.1.A.0.075 gingerbread or the ice cream sandwich firmware 6.1.A.0.452

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Damoedge

I can confirm its firmware 6.1.A.0.452from meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kitchensinks

download the generic firmware http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1723610 and flastool back up your phone to pc companion and synchronize your gmail account which if set on auto sync will be done automatically saved the firmware and flash tool to my desktop opened flash tool to install on computer and copied the firmware into it and it flashed in 3 minutes here is a link on sony forums to do it http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/41609 any problems i will help how i done this in more detail

Were you able to restore you sms etc from pc companion?
    I'm having no luck.

I didn't get a chance to try it I will try it later mine just re synched from g mail and memory card where i backed all stuff and reappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Comer1

This guide for noobs like myself is very straight forward. Worked fine for me

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1725078

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved from mobiles to android forum.

Advertisement