Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel between Ireland and UK - do I need a passport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I think you are OK with any form of photo ID for travelling to the UK. Doesn't have to be a passport. Someone more knowledgable will give you a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you're travelling with Ryanair you MUST have a passport.

If you are travelling with any other airline or by ferry then you don't, but you will need some form of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ryanair and EasyJet require a passport.

Aer lingus, British Airways and the ferry companies only ask for some form of I.D. i.e Driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou1985

Thanks MikeDragon. I'm very nervous, do you mind me asking u how you are so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Zizou1985 wrote: »
    Thanks MikeDragon. I'm very nervous, do you mind me asking u how you are so sure?
    If u are flying with Ryan air you 100% need a passport If you are flying are lingus you 100% don't a driving license will do.
    Speaking from recent experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its in there terms and conditions and they are very strict about it, no exceptions
    THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

A valid passport – (see below - */and ** below)

A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland)

A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport - see ** below.
    A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country
    * It is acceptable for children under 16 to travel on the valid passport of the parent with whom they are travelling, if they are included on that passport.

** When a child is listed on the valid passport of the parent with whom they are travelling the accompanying adult’s travel document details must be duplicated in the child’s document details section during the online check-in process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Experience! (and the fact I read t&cs almost every time I book)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

About 10 years ago i had to go to my Grandmothers funeral in the U.K. Booked with Ryanair after being told i didn't need a passport. Paid a fortune for the flight as it was an emergency booking etc. Got to Dublin airport to the check in desk late in the evening and they refused to let me travel as i had no passport.

I had every kind of an i.d but they would not let me go. I ended up booking a flight with aer lingus (and paying another fortune). for the next morning and they let me go no problem. I ended up paying about 500 euro for a flight..Not cool:(

You can travel by ferry with no passport.

Advertisement