Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

• 31-03-2012 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Don't see what the big deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Baby needs food. Breasts give food (to babies).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Just turn around and don't look so :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.
    Grow the FUK up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll take the ban if it comes, as it will be worth it.

You're a moron. You mentioned ignorance in your post. It certainly wasnt the mother who was guilty of this. Thankfully there arent too many around like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Here we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

It was lunchtime. Babies need lunch too. Breasts are designed to give milk to babies. Get over it ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Food and boobs! Doesnt get much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

What's so ignorant about feeding a baby?:confused:

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?
    Prepare for "Having a **** is natural but you don't do that in public" derpiness.
    I think she's on a wind-up tbh.

"Ignorant" - lol. Someone needs a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would you rather the child screaming crying in hunger?
    What's wrong with looking away???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

So where should the lady in question fed her baby? In the toilets? Or she shouldn't go out at all?

Ignorant? I would look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Imagine... A human in a restaurant, feeding as god intended! What's the bit that disgusts you? Her tits or the fact that a baby requires food and refuses to wait for a more opportune time? Did you associate her breasts with sex? Do you feel dirty?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Feeding a baby at meal times!?!? Well whatever next? Shoes on feet?!?:eek::eek::eek:

Not only is your reaction ridiculous but if you in any way, even with your body language communicated your silly reaction to the mother of the child you should, under the equality legislation, have been asked to leave the premises. It is illegal to bother a breastfeeding woman with such foolishness and the premises can be fined heavily for allowing such carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

But you had no problem eating your lunch in front of others in a busy restaurant, while everyone else was eating. WTF is the problem with the kid doing the same?

Dudess wrote: »
    Prepare for "Having a **** is natural but you don't do that in public" derpiness.
    I think she's on a wind-up tbh.

"Ignorant" - lol. Someone needs a dictionary.

Sweet Jebus, is that how this conversation usually goes??

God help the nation when I have babies. I'll be whipping the girls out for feeds at every available opportunity, public 'ignorance' be damned.

g'em wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus, is that how this conversation usually goes??

****, urinating and defecating are the usual comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

Nobody has asked the most important question, did she have a nice rack? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Didn't realise people weren't entitled to their own opinion on Boards.

Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Surely this is a joke?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it
    Maybe I'm being sexist, but it's particularly gear-grinding when a woman has this attitude.
    OP, I'm assuming her breasts were covered up as much as possible, and only the nipple in the baby's mouth wasn't? That is usually how public breastfeeding goes. Therefore, those who are offended by tits out (but it's ok on page 3) are actually imagining things.
    The reason some women do this is because their babies won't take bottle-feeds, and they can't limit feeds to just private places - because the baby could start getting very hungry in public. And something tells me you wouldn't be tolerant of a baby screaming with hunger in public either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There was a thread a few months ago about breastfeeding and in it, there was a story of a man who took offence of a woman breastfeeding and he told her to go to the toilets to breastfeed.

Anybody that holds such a view: you fcuk off and take your own meal to the toilet.

I have to say as outrageous as the OP is the rest of the posts are great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Like where?

And when it's a retarded opinion, people are entitled to argue with it.

What "elsewhere" would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion the you must be a troll. Nobody, even in this day and age, can be so selfish and just plain wrong.

Where should she have fed her baby, in you ignorant opinion?

Why though? Seriously, why is it such a problem? You have boobs, you know what they're for, why is it so shocking to youm?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Pic or GTFO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killed By Death

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant.

:eek: DISGUSTING!
    I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

Where do you expect her to do it, in the toilet I suppose where people are $hitting?

Yeh, the time and place is when the baby is hungry which is pratically all the time. If the Mother was to do it in private then she could never leave the house, you know to do 'ignorant' things like.....oh I dunno...go to the Supermarket, meet a friend at a cafe, go to the chemist or um....well ANYTHING really! Would that suit you better?

I doubt the majority of people feel the same, you could try a poll if you want to see? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement