Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of starting German-styled pub in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

jester77 wrote: »
    ...I would imagine it would be fairly expensive importing German beers and you could find it very difficult to compete with the bars around you based on the price of the typical beers found in Irish bars...

It depends on what you offer. Have a look at Smokey Beer from Bamberg (Schlenkerla):

http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

If you look at their prices it includes shipping (the prices for Ireland are correct - I have ordered from them a couple of times before):

http://www.schlenkerla.de/verkauf/versandint/versandinternationale.html

If this Brewery-cum-restaurant would also export their beer I would be in beer heaven:

http://www.wuppertalerbrauhaus.de/

The beer: http://www.wuppertalerbrauhaus.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Preusse wrote: »
    It depends on what you offer. Have a look at Smokey Beer from Bamberg (Schlenkerla):

http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

If you look at their prices it includes shipping (the prices for Ireland are correct - I have ordered from them a couple of times before):

http://www.schlenkerla.de/verkauf/versandint/versandinternationale.html

If this Brewery-cum-restaurant would also export their beer I would be in beer heaven:

http://www.wuppertalerbrauhaus.de/

The beer: http://www.wuppertalerbrauhaus.de/

I know somebody from Wuppertal for ages now, and I don't know that brewery? Shame on me :confused:

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I know somebody from Wuppertal for ages now, and I don't know that brewery? Shame on me :confused:

Das Dunkle ist fantastisch! Und super essen kann man da auch. Direkt am Alten Markt hinter'm Rathaus am Marktplatz.

Das Dunkle ist fantastisch! Und super essen kann man da auch. Direkt am Alten Markt hinter'm Rathaus am Marktplatz.

Danke, das muss ich bei meinem naechsten Besuch mal antesten :)

Eine gute Brauerei ist auch diese hier: http://www.willinger-brauhaus.de

Ist zwar immer sehr voll am Wochenende, aber das Bockbier im Mai ist sehr zu empfehlen :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Thanks for the replies. I'll write this in English as everyone understands that way! If anyone wants to pm me I will write back auf Deutsch if required. I think thats fair. Interesting reading! I mean "German themed bar" as a bar with of course German wine and beers, guys dressed in lederhoesen and the girls in dirdls with photos etc from Germany & Austria on the wall as well as some funny cartoons auf Deutsch among other things.

I aim to speak to a major German brewer ie Bitburger and see if they are interested in investing in setting up a bar here selling their beer sorts. This happens quite a lot in Germany. Have talked to friends etc but still looking to find a native German chef here in Dublin who may be interested in this.

I have checked after hours Peasant and to be honest it really has nothing to do with opening up a new bar. Some of the boards are actuelly quite wierd if you go through them. Can't find any relevant forum to be honest. Cheers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

janullrich wrote: »
    ! I mean "German themed bar" as a bar with of course German wine and beers, guys dressed in lederhoesen and the girls in dirdls with photos etc from Germany & Austria on the wall as well as some funny cartoons auf Deutsch among other things.

:( not sure if this would be my cup of tea!

(Ok, i confess i have been to Oktoberfest almost every year for 23 years but that is a novelty.)
    But most of my time in D my preference is a variety of 'normal' Gaststaetten.

As a pub to attract regulars here, i'm not convinced.

But I really hope you prove me wrong.
    I definitely think there is a market there, why don't you get in touch with these guys.
    http://www.german-irish.ie/

Thanks for the replies. I'll write this in English as everyone understands that way! If anyone wants to pm me I will write back auf Deutsch if required. I think thats fair. Interesting reading! I mean "German themed bar" as a bar with of course German wine and beers, guys dressed in lederhoesen and the girls in dirdls with photos etc from Germany & Austria on the wall as well as some funny cartoons auf Deutsch among other things.

I aim to speak to a major German brewer ie Bitburger and see if they are interested in investing in setting up a bar here selling their beer sorts. This happens quite a lot in Germany. Have talked to friends etc but still looking to find a native German chef here in Dublin who may be interested in this.

I have checked after hours Peasant and to be honest it really has nothing to do with opening up a new bar. Some of the boards are actuelly quite wierd if you go through them. Can't find any relevant forum to be honest. Cheers though.

That would only attract people from Bavaria, if you need the whole lot of the country, please forget about Lederhosen and Dirndl (apart from the Oktoberfest maybe), as they are nto that popular nationwide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I looked into setting up a bar here a few years back, be careful with going this route as they will tie you into their products and you could have limited say in how you run/expand your bar.

Plus Bitburger is my least favourite German beer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

try asking in the Irlandforum (forum for German expats in Ireland) for more feedback.

I'm notsure if I'm allowed to link to a different forum but PM me if you want the URL

Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciate it. Spoken to a native German chef so we will see if anything goes forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SchmittTalk

I would guess it will be difficult to sell german beer. Most of the tourists go for guniness or jameson and the local guys drink most often heineken. You could ask a barkeeper from porterhouse how many german beer they sell in average over one night. however, the dublin oktoberfest is allways overcrowded. And if there would be a german evening each weekend I guess german natives will go there ! :)
    Maybe just open a german Bierzelt over the summer, put some benches inside, german musik, german Bratwurst, and german beer for 3 months ( i guess it will be a good business) ...

I would guess it will be difficult to sell german beer. Most of the tourists go for guniness or jameson and the local guys drink most often heineken. You could ask a barkeeper from porterhouse how many german beer they sell in average over one night. however, the dublin oktoberfest is allways overcrowded. And if there would be a german evening each weekend I guess german natives will go there ! :)
    Maybe just open a german Bierzelt over the summer, put some benches inside, german musik, german Bratwurst, and german beer for 3 months ( i guess it will be a good business) ...

Don't think, the beer will be the main problem, more the food, because in that matter, tastes are really different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I've been in some German pubs in London. Bavarian Beer House and Katzenjammer.

Beer is sold by the Maß by girls in Dirndl. There's German food, Bretzeln, BuLi and other German sports on the TV.

It's good fun but they are pricey and they tend to be a special occasion kind of pub. I don't think people would go back time and again but would enjoy it when they do go.

I also agree that educated Irish people would be the key market. Maybe located close to Trinity.

I've been in some German pubs in London. Bavarian Beer House and Katzenjammer.

Beer is sold by the Maß by girls in Dirndl. There's German food, Bretzeln, BuLi and other German sports on the TV.

It's good fun but they are pricey and they tend to be a special occasion kind of pub. I don't think people would go back time and again but would enjoy it when they do go.

I also agree that educated Irish people would be the key market. Maybe located close to Trinity.

Don't know, but it should not a a rip off. High prices often scare away customers, that's for sure. It should all be payable, even if I can understand, that the owner needs to earn money, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bit of a silly snobbish comment really, you dont need to have a higher level of education to appreciate German food or beer.

Also you think it will be a expensive place to visit so you reckon it should be put near a college in that case when students are notorious cheap skates due to the fact there in college and not out working in a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Bit of a silly snobbish comment really,

It's not really a 'silly, snobbish comment', just someone trying to be helpful & identifying a target market for OP's planned pub.

What would you suggest as a target audience, or what type of pub, or where?

OP just looking for advice/help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Alcohol sales in Ireland are decreasing year on year and the only sector of that market that is showing any increase is craft and speciality beers. I think the market is too small to go German only in terms of beer and food menu but from a design point of view it's a good place to start. There are a number of pubs in Dublin, also a couple in Cork and Galway, that sell mostly craft and speciality beers and are doing really well as they have something different to offer than every other pub. Recommend you go visit some of these:

Against The Grain
    Anseo
    Bull & Castle
    L Mulligan Grocer
    Porterhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jb-ski wrote: »
    It's not really a 'silly, snobbish comment', just someone trying to be helpful & identifying a target market for OP's planned pub.

What would you suggest as a target audience, or what type of pub, or where?

OP just looking for advice/help! :)

Well I think it was by saying that only educated people would be able to appreciate German style beer and food, plus with that kind of attitude you would also be alienating a lot of potential customers.

Well type of pub the clue is in the thread title ;):p as for location id say maybe in around Dame Lane or up around Wexford Street would be good locations for it, I think both those locations with the right marketing could draw in big crowds and there already well established areas known for there pubs.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Alcohol sales in Ireland are decreasing year on year and the only sector of that market that is showing any increase is craft and speciality beers. I think the market is too small to go German only in terms of beer and food menu but from a design point of view it's a good place to start. There are a number of pubs in Dublin, also a couple in Cork and Galway, that sell mostly craft and speciality beers and are doing really well as they have something different to offer than every other pub. Recommend you go visit some of these:

Against The Grain
    Anseo
    Bull & Castle
    L Mulligan Grocer
    Porterhouse

I was thinking something along the lines of Bull & Castle myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A German bar would be a wonderful idea for Dublin, IMHO.

However, as will any 'foreign' cuisine, you do ultimately have to gear and modify it for the local market (Why do you think most Italian-owned 'restaurants' are chippers in Ireland?) and so it will always end up being somewhat 'fake'. Remember at the end of the day, it's a business.

Like it or not the Bavarian image of the German beer-hall is probably the most commercially viable (they practically invented 'vertical drinking establishments'), although that should not stop you from introducing elements that are likely to be commercially viable from the rest of Germany.

Also paying at the end is probably not viable in Ireland (it's too confusing for most Irish).

Food is important as a selling point, IMO. Brezels and Brötchen with various fillings are easy enough, but once you get into Currywurst, Bratwurst, or Kartoffelsalat then you are going to have to worry about kitchens, food preparation and qualified chefs. Also, some foods, such as Matjes, I really don't see working in Ireland.

Draws, I could see, would definitely include the sale of Masskrügen. A range of beers from different regions too, naturally. Waitresses in Dirndls will also garner a lot of, ahem, attention and thus attract customers. I'd also add something odd to get some free publicity, such as selling this particular Helles - bound to get you a few write-ups.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Despite it's location off the beaten track (Usher's Quay), the Czech pub Pifko seems to be doing well, five different Czech beers on draught and good national cuisine (the VKZ - vepřo-knedlo-zelo - is great: Schweinebraten mit Kraut und Knödeln).
    So I would have thought a similar, German, pub nearer the city centre would work, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Irish Chef living in Vienna here,

I think it would work, I used to be a regular in the Czech Inn, in Temple bar, the food wouldn't be a million miles from Austrian food, therefore I'm presuming not too far from German food, its a popular spot.

The craft German beers would go down a storm in my opinion, though i'm not sure if you would get a regular regulars crowd of Irish, we tend to like our own boozers if that makes sense.

I do also think genuine German food would go down very very well.

The bull and castle is one place that sprung to mind.

If German waiters are anything like Viennese waiters, then shelve that idea :D rude doesn't come close !
    Dirndls, oh yeah, that would be a key drawing point.

Tab system? no fooking way in Ireland.

The very best of luck.

P.s, A Irish bar in Germany/Austria would make you alot more money.

Thanks guys. I have been speaking to a few people to get the idea going. Definately some good ideas there. One thing that has be a slight bit worried is the amount of boozers closing down ie Odeon off Harcourt Street. Never saw that coming to be honest!

Thanks guys. I have been speaking to a few people to get the idea going. Definately some good ideas there. One thing that has be a slight bit worried is the amount of boozers closing down ie Odeon off Harcourt Street. Never saw that coming to be honest!

Don't get frustrated by that fact. If you have an idea, nobody else has, you create an outstanding venue and have a good chance to be successful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Is that the square Johannes-Rau-Platz? Up the Barmen end of Wuppertal?

prinz wrote: »
    Is that the square Johannes-Rau-Platz? Up the Barmen end of Wuppertal?

Yep, although it wasn't called Johannes-Rau Platz in my time but I heard about it when it changed name. Good for him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yep, although it wasn't called Johannes-Rau Platz in my time but I heard about it when it changed name. Good for him. :)

Thanks. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Wuppertal.

Guys thanks for the comments. I have decided to opening a small outside "tent" for the Summer in the city centre to see how it goes which would sell German sausages, steaks etc. It is best to start to start off small. How difficult is it to get a permit to open up a small joint like this. I was also thinking of selling German beer but I don't know if a licence can be got for this. Anybody have any ideas?

Guys thanks for the comments. I have decided to opening a small outside "tent" for the Summer in the city centre to see how it goes which would sell German sausages, steaks etc. It is best to start to start off small. How difficult is it to get a permit to open up a small joint like this. I was also thinking of selling German beer but I don't know if a licence can be got for this. Anybody have any ideas?

Did you ever get in contact with a brewery in Germany?

Anyway, keep us up-to-date about the venue, please. I will be there for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MusicDots

Super Idee! :) "Was der Ire nicht kennt, saeuft er nicht" ist totaler Schwachsinn, warum boomen denn als einzige wohl im Moment die Craft Beer- Pubs??? Jetzt ist genau der richtige Zeitpunkt, die Leute sind ein bisschen offener geworden und probieren auch gerne mal was Neues. Der Pub wuerde sich auf JEDEN Fall halten koennen in der Stadt, es gibt genug Deutsche in Dublin, deutsche Touristen, Iren, die schon in Deutschland gewohnt haben und das auch vermissen, und Leute, die froh sind, dass es endlich mal was anderes als Plörre zu trinken gibt (also unbedingt Werbung in den Craft Beer- Pubs machen, da ist die Kundschaft!). Ich stimme vorherigen Postern zu: bitte keinen Bayern-Pub! Wenn deutsch, dann richtig und nicht voll mit Klischees. Und wenn Du echt Bundesliga auf der Leinwand hast, dann wird das ein voller Erfolg!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

MusicDots wrote: »
    Ich stimme vorherigen Postern zu: bitte keinen Bayern-Pub! Wenn deutsch, dann richtig und nicht voll mit Klischees. Und wenn Du echt Bundesliga auf der Leinwand hast, dann wird das ein voller Erfolg!!! :D
    Bah, Preussen... :p

Advertisement