Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISC 2013 Sports Grants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Announced today:-

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Media/Latest_News/2013/Minister_Ring_Announces_Irish_Sports_Council_Funding_Plans_For_2013.html

Seems harsh that Derval only gets €12k for a 4th place finish in the Euros. I guess its partly based on age. But then that's sort of contradicted by Brian Gregan only getting 12k also.

Anyone know is there a published written set of criteria for the grants so one has a chance of understanding the rationale?

http://hp.athleticsireland.ie/images/carding/2013/13_ISCAAI_PerformanceCriteria.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would think that Derval's age and the fact that she is sliding, barely, will impact those dishing out 40k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ChickenTikka

ecoli wrote: »

Thanks, looks like we got more into the higher grant categories than a strict implementation of the criteria would allow. So that's good. But maybe not so good that subjective opinion is allowed for some and not for others.

The indo http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sevens-heaven-for-girls-in-green-but-derval-hit-by-grant-cuts-29146922.html says "Athletes are now strictly funded on the basis of their performances in the previous year only."

But there seems to still be a degree of subjectivity for some and not for others. Not knocking the scope for that but it would be good for the athletes to know the full criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Britton and O’Rourke grant should have been swapped. I hope she goes out and makes a statement in the world XC this weekend that she should be getting full grant like mad len.

rom wrote: »
    Britton and O’Rourke grant should have been swapped. I hope she goes out and makes a statement in the world XC this weekend that she should be getting full grant like mad len.

Britton and O Lionaird on the same? which is also more than Derval??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Very harsh on deval for sure. Unbelievable that Britton isnt on the same amount that Robbie heffernan is on. And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????

Ah I got me numbers messed up.

Last year http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2012/02/irish-sports-council-announce-athlete.html

I think it's a travesty. Where are the poor GAA players money ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tunguska wrote: »
    Very harsh on deval for sure. Unbelievable that Britton isnt on the same amount that Robbie heffernan is on. And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????

but at least the process is transparent. Jennings, Keneally, and Byrne all got the world championship A standard ( I presume that's what the 'international standard' is from?), and none of them qualified in the 'world class' standard.

They get the separate "good lad" grant, which is about half the total given in the carding scheme, to all other athletes combined.

Aside from the 2.5 million allocated you also have the grants for the;

GAA Handball association
    and
    Ladies Gaelic Football association

adding an extra 480,000.

I think they will manage:D

While I agree we can debate these things I think a basic set of criteria after which there is a level of subjectivity at least means that does who are deserving of grants get something as opposed to someone hitting the targets and then being given feck all. Like it or not Jennings performance in the eyes of the criteria was the same as any of the other marathon runners (also rans) that is not taking away from the performances. Personally I feel Linda should be on more given her Euro XC exploits she didnt meet the criteria to warrant this I suppose

All in all I think Athletics did better than you would hope out of it though there is always gonna be a debate over who got what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Kenny Egan deserves his considering her has retired lol

Also Colin Griffin ain't too happy about it either.`

Thanks for all the messages of support. This matter has been going on since Dec 3rd when I got an email from AAI Performance Director which said that AAI would not endorse my application to the ISC. He then ignored all emails requesting an appeal or independent review until the Jan 4th deadline had passed. Even a request to AAI CEO to facilitate a fair hearing was ignored. I gave them every chance to resolve this in a dignified and peaceful manner through internal channels. I cannot allow the underhanded and corrupt manner in which things are done be kept quiet any more. This is not what sport is about and some people should be ashamed of themselves.

http://www.colingriffin.ie/statement-on-2013-carding-announcement/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

And Catriona Jennings on the same grant that Mark Keneally and Linda byrne are on even though she came last in London?????

Catriona Jennings should get punished for toughing it out in London despite an injury? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Catriona Jennings should get punished for toughing it out in London despite an injury? :confused:

She should never have been running with an injury. She should've held her hand up and said, Im injured, give the place to someone else. Even before the olympics though, considering consistancy of results in races, shes not in the same league as those who are recieving the same level of grant. Like Linda byrne or even Ava hutchinson. I'd rather see Mary cullen get 12k, even though shes only back in action recently. She's on the team for World XC this weekend and you can bet your life she'll run a stormer. Put mary cullen up against catriona jennings and its a no contest.
    Actually Maria McCambridge should have been selected ahead of Catriona jennings in the first place.

She should never have been running with an injury. She should've held her hand up and said, Im injured, give the place to someone else. Even before the olympics though, considering consistancy of results in races, shes not in the same league as those who are recieving the same level of grant. Like Linda byrne or even Ava hutchinson. I'd rather see Mary cullen get 12k, even though shes only back in action recently. She's on the team for World XC this weekend and you can bet your life she'll run a stormer. Put mary cullen up against catriona jennings and its a no contest.
    Actually Maria McCambridge should have been selected ahead of Catriona jennings in the first place.

I believe that I made a similar point a while back and someone said she was passed fit but it was a repeat injury PF that came up rather than her starting the race injured. I would go with that seeing that she was 2 mins behind the other irish runners at 15k but it went downhill from there. 1st half in 1:23 so it was just going sub par run to the 2nd half in 2 hrs. I don't think she could run 1:23 if she was injured for the first half even.

But she's not getting the grant for her performance at the Olympics, she's getting the grant for her performance when she qualified for the Olympics, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    But she's not getting the grant for her performance at the Olympics, she's getting the grant for her performance when she qualified for the Olympics, right?

Of course, and my point is that she should not have the grant revoked just because she got injured at the wrong time.

I don't want to re-open the debate on who should have been sent (incidentally, Maria McCambridge would have been my choice as well), and I do believe that she thought she would be okay as she stood on the London start line.

The same argument could have been made for the American ladies where Desiree Davila had to pull out injured early into the race and the American men with Abdirahman doing likewise, and I'm sure they were not the only ones either; if you're selected for the Olympics you'll want to run, and maybe they were all kidding themselves when they started despite not being fully fit, but I won't blame anyone for that choice.

I sure would not argue that it should lead to them not receiving any more funding.

I agree, I was replying to tunguska.
    Should have quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

What they really should do is raise the marathon standard for qualifying for major championships so they don't have to give relatively high grants to all who qualify. Oh wait ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056863886
    Well that's one way of cutting the costs next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Just saw the grant announcements, of the 18 that got full grants 10 are Paralympians and 5 are boxers. To get a medal in the paralympics which is a bases for the funding is far easier due to the nature of the games (smaller pool of competitors and many different categories). I don't mean to belittle their achievement but would Jason Smyth based on this able bodied performances be on 40K?. The same could be said for boxing to a lesser extent with all the different weight divisions. Then only one of our athletics team (Robert Heffernan) gets maximum funding. Is this situation fair?

donegal11 wrote: »
    Just saw the grant announcements, of the 18 that got full grants 10 are Paralympians and 5 are boxers. To get a medal in the paralympics which is a bases for the funding is far easier due to the nature of the games (smaller pool of competitors and many different categories). I don't mean to belittle their achievement but would Jason Smyth based on this able bodied performances be on 40K?. The same could be said for boxing to a lesser extent with all the different weight divisions. Then only one of our athletics team (Robert Heffernan) gets maximum funding. Is this situation fair?

The same could be said comparing Robert Heffernan or the boxers to the runners. But what are they to do. The simple fact remains that if they get a medal in sport x then it's the same medal that they get if they do sport y but just in a less mainstream sport.

• Advertisement

donegal11 wrote: »
    The same could be said for boxing to a lesser extent with all the different weight divisions. Then only one of our athletics team (Robert Heffernan) gets maximum funding. Is this situation fair?

The same cannot be said for boxing. Look at all the different disciplines in track and field. Not all the boxers are getting the max. Only the ones with the real potential to medal.

and the guy who retired?

RayCun wrote: »
    and the guy who retired?

What about him? Seems a separate issue.

If someone retires officially and is not going to compete and the ISC still award a grant then questions about the ISC need asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

So Podium is: "Medallist in the World Championships or Olympic Games"

Rob Heffernan is down as Podium but his best finish last year (and a SAVAGE race in fairness to him!) as far as I can see on Wiki was 4th in the Olympics.

How come he's ranked as Podium? Surely Wiki doesn't lie!? :rolleyes:

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Ar Strae wrote: »
    So Podium is: "Medallist in the World Championships or Olympic Games"

Rob Heffernan is down as Podium but his best finish last year (and a SAVAGE race in fairness to him!) as far as I can see on Wiki was 4th in the Olympics.

How come he's ranked as Podium? Surely Wiki doesn't lie!? :rolleyes:

Ro

I think it's ability to get on the podium. He's been a consistent top ten performer , and deserves it imo.

Gregan seems to be getting a raw deal considering his age and ability. Maybe I'm a little biased though.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

I think it's ability to get on the podium. He's been a consistent top ten performer , and deserves it imo.

Gregan seems to be getting a raw deal considering his age and ability. Maybe I'm a little biased though.

Yeah I think Rob deserves it all right..but did they not think Fionnuala deserved it too? Individual and Team Gold in the European Cross Country last year, Bronze in the European Indoors 3000m earlier this year? Before last year Rob's best result was 4th in the Europeans.

Ro

The problem is they laid out clear criteria in the document and then allowed some subjectivity into the final decision. Everyone can see that makes sense in the case of Rob (he may well end up with the bronze medal at some time in the future anyway) but then you get people saying why was Fionnuala not bumped up to Podium also.

There is nothing in the document about consistency, or potential. It's supposed to be based on performance in 2012, plain and simple. Going by that Rob would only have got "World Class" and Colin Griffin would have got "international" - instead Griffin got nothing despite meeting the standard. By introducing subjectivity I suspect they have opened themselves up to potential legal action, especially by an athlete who feels hard done by.

It looks like some form of horse-trading went on, where one athlete got a bit more than the criteria laid out, while another in the same event got less, we can only guess why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's also tough on Maria McCambridge and any other athlete who made the grade (often bettering other's achievements), but just didn't get selected. You run better qualifying times, yet they get a grant and you don't. Very harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

dna_leri wrote: »
    The problem is they laid out clear criteria in the document and then allowed some subjectivity into the final decision. Everyone can see that makes sense in the case of Rob (he may well end up with the bronze medal at some time in the future anyway) but then you get people saying why was Fionnuala not bumped up to Podium also.

There is nothing in the document about consistency, or potential. It's supposed to be based on performance in 2012, plain and simple. Going by that Rob would only have got "World Class" and Colin Griffin would have got "international" - instead Griffin got nothing despite meeting the standard. By introducing subjectivity I suspect they have opened themselves up to potential legal action, especially by an athlete who feels hard done by.

It looks like some form of horse-trading went on, where one athlete got a bit more than the criteria laid out, while another in the same event got less, we can only guess why.

It surely should be done based on potential though. Sort of defeats the purpose of "Podium class" funding if the athlete has to go and win the medal first before getting the funding.

Rightly or wrongly Britton's funding is based on her potential to win a medal at World Outdoors or Olympics at 5000m and 10000m, which is a 500-1 shot being realistic.

You could also argue the unfairness of this given the differing depth of various events in track and field. Hard to keep everyone happy I guess.

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    It surely should be done based on potential though. Sort of defeats the purpose of "Podium class" funding if the athlete has to go and win the medal first before getting the funding.

Rightly or wrongly Britton's funding is based on her potential to win a medal at World Outdoors or Olympics at 5000m and 10000m, which is a 500-1 shot being realistic.

You could also argue the unfairness of this given the differing depth of various events in track and field. Hard to keep everyone happy I guess.

I agree the criteria should take consistency (performance over the last 4 years) and particularly potential (how do you measure that?) into account. That means upcoming athletes get more and athletes who are past their peak get less.

The problem is that using criteria such as consistency and potential is subjective and the lack of transparency gives rise to claims of favouritism and unfairness.

However I think there should still be a "podium class" for those athletes who have achieved at the highest level and can go on to do so again in the next Olympic cycle. It's right to differentiate between the very best and the very good. For example if RH had got an Olympic medal, he would have got a lot more publicity and media attention, which is good for the sport and should be rewarded.

Advertisement