Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Robert Harris] Anyone know when the next Cicero novel is due?

• 24-02-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭

According to Wikipedia (not the best source in the world) the novels Imperium and Lustrum are part of a Cicero trilogy.

Does anyone have any more info on when the third book is due to appear on the shelves? I can't wait for this as I thoroughly enjoyed the first two novels!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I;m in the same boat, looking forward to its appearance. There was a 2 year gap between Imperium and Lustrum, so I'd imagine the next installment will be another year or so.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan :D

(IE, die before the final book in a series...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Denerick wrote: »
    I;m in the same boat, looking forward to its appearance. There was a 2 year gap between Imperium and Lustrum, so I'd imagine the next installment will be another year or so.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan :D

(IE, die before the final book in a series...)

He wouldn't be so selfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

Amazon shows that the next book to be published is called "The Fear Index" and it's due in September. Random House list it as a thriller - so it's not the 3rd in the Cicero trilogy.

Wikipedia does say that the 3rd Cicero book is to be published in 2011 - so after September, anyway.

Harris is only in his early 50s - don't wish his life away! There are lots of books still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah I knew about 'The Fear Index', might be worth a read as I really like a lot of his other books but I'm a huge fan of the Cicero novels and of course Pompeii. Probably because I've visited a lot of ancient Roman sites in Rome and the UK :D

They are so well written though that they really end up as page-turners, strange for a political thriller based on historical fact :)

If it'll be released after September then I can see it getting pushed out for the Christmas market...guess it'll be a long wait so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Really looking forward to this also, even though we know how the story will end. Harris is a great thriller writer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Sergeant wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this also, even though we know how the story will end. Harris is a great thriller writer.

Disagree, read his book fatherland, was pretty disappointed, it got great reviews but after looking up why he got such great reviews it became apparent he's an ex-journalist and all the people who gave him great reviews were newspapers he's worked with or worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Gneez wrote: »
    Disagree, read his book fatherland, was pretty disappointed, it got great reviews but after looking up why he got such great reviews it became apparent he's an ex-journalist and all the people who gave him great reviews were newspapers he's worked with or worked for.

I thought Fatherland was excellent and as far as I know I've never been a journalist...

nompere wrote: »

Wikipedia does say that the 3rd Cicero book is to be published in 2011 - so after September, anyway.

Gravedig :) I see Wikipedia now says it's due to be published in 2012. I guess we'll just have to wait. I'm really looking forward to this though.

Sigh...according to Wikipedia this is due for release this year. I won't hold my breath.
    In 2003 Harris turned his attention to ancient Rome with his acclaimed Pompeii, yet another international best-seller. He followed this in 2006 with Imperium, the first novel in a trilogy centred on the life of the great Roman orator Cicero. The second novel, Lustrum, was published in October 2009. It was released in February 2010 in the US under the alternate title of Conspirata. The third and final novel is scheduled to be released in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

Just had a look at his facebook page. A torrent of abuse from people getting no answer as to the Release date. Don't they know "Patience is a virtue" Cicero 57 BC lol

• Advertisement

Just watched a Webcast from Cambridge (his Alumni) where we was a Guest speaker and 2014 at the earliest so no summer reading for us this year. He did admit he has started on it and Tiro is in full cry by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I can reveal the ending for a small fee.

agentino wrote: »
    Just watched a Webcast from Cambridge (his Alumni) where we was a Guest speaker and 2014 at the earliest so no summer reading for us this year. He did admit he has started on it and Tiro is in full cry by now

Well 2014 has come and gone. No final installment :(

I'm beginning to wonder if Harris is trolling us!

Does anyone have any more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Porrohman

I read on Amazon that it is out this September. It will be called "Dictator" iirc. In work now so can't access the site. It's been a long wait but hopefully it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

October 8 it now says on Amazon - though they do have a picture of the cover, so maybe it is real now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dictator-Robert-Harris/dp/0091752108/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425398911&sr=1-4&keywords=robert+harris

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

So looking forward to this. Its been a long wait. I'll revisit the first two books before Dictator is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Not too long left now....

As an aside, not strictly related, but readers of this maybe interested.

Tom Hollands - 'Dynasty - The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar' is out on September the 3rd. It's the follow up to 'Rubicon', which covered the events surrounding the fall of the Republic. Very well written non fiction.

Picked up 'Dynasty - The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar'. Really looking forward to reading it. 'Rubicon' was fantastic, so have high hopes for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Stumbled across this thread - have now purchased the first 2 books without knowing quite why :)

Looking forward to them.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Stumbled across this thread - have now purchased the first 2 books without knowing quite why :)

Looking forward to them.

Nate

You are in for a treat

enjoy!

Picked up 'Dynasty - The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar'. Really looking forward to reading it. 'Rubicon' was fantastic, so have high hopes for this one.
    Yeah, Rubicon was great :) Must get this one too.

Looking forward to them.

Nate

:) Loved them both...as you can probably tell from my original post :) Enjoy.

I've just finished Dyansty, fantastic read. Tom Holland really is a great writer, sometimes I struggle through non-fiction, but this was very hard to put down. Highly recommended.

And it's available....Pre-ordered a while ago, so it was sitting waiting for me in my Kindle this morning. I've just begun 'The Silk Roads - A New History of the World' by Peter Frankopan, so will finish that first before diving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daithi76

Robert harris's Dictator out now!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia (not the best source in the world) the novels Imperium and Lustrum are part of a Cicero trilogy.

Does anyone have any more info on when the third book is due to appear on the shelves? I can't wait for this as I thoroughly enjoyed the first two novels!

OMG. Thanks for the updates.

Folks I know we are probably only the hardcore reading this thread but for anyone who has not read the other 2 books they are the best of all time. I am a Roman history nutjob, will read anything on the topic but so love these books by Harris.

I literally cannot wait and wanna buy the hard back too to always have it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

Hmm... best of all time I think not! But pretty good I think. I'll wait for the paperback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Had a spare credit on Audible and saw this pop up so got it yesterday morning. Just as entertaining as the first two about half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Dibble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

You are in for a treat

enjoy!

Just finished the final book. Enjoyed them all from start to finish.

Very glad I found this thread :)

Nate

Advertisement