Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veni, Vedi, Vechi

• 22-07-2004 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me what this means?

Cheers,

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Is that the actual spelling? Is it supposed to be "veni, vidi, vici" (Latin - I came, I saw, I conquered - a Julius Caesar quote I believe)? Or maybe it's a pun on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Dun
    Is that the actual spelling? Is it supposed to be "veni, vidi, vici" (Latin - I came, I saw, I conquered - a Julius Caesar quote I believe)? Or maybe it's a pun on it.

I wouldn't think that the spelling was right. Your explanation seems about right though, considering the context that it was said in.

Cheers!

Well if it makes it any clearer, the vici part is pronounced "vee-chee"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It could be a pun (I've seen similar ones used in adverts on the Metro in Rome). Given this vechi is at best a misspelling of vecchi (old) - and TBH, that’s a pun that does not make a lot of sense. I would guess that vici was the correct word as has been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dun wrote:
    Well if it makes it any clearer, the vici part is pronounced "vee-chee"
    Only if you learned Church Latin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

sceptre wrote:

I was told you pronounce c with a hard sound in latin - like cecinit (composed) would be pronounced kek-in-it.

But apparently priests used to pronounce Latin like Italian and in fairness, it sounds better that way.

Maybe we need a Latin forum!

sceptre wrote:
    Or use the common place pronunciation in English (like et cetera., vice versa, ad hoc, etc. (no pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Etrurian

Dun wrote:

That's the right solution :)
    "Veni, vidi, vici" is the correct phrase, and was said by Julio Ceasar in the Roman Senatus when I came back from a difficult war that was dominated by Roman Forces. The meaning is "I came, I saw, I won (or conquered, it's the same) and the pronunciation for you should be:
    "Veanee, vee-dee, vee-chee"

or, more correctly as Latin had only strong C
    "Veanee, vee-dee, vee-kee"

Sorry for my english

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Etrurian wrote:
    when I came back from a difficult war that was dominated by Roman Forces.
    Damn your old ;) I thought he said it upon walking out of his tent somewhere in North Africa?

LOL I'm not so old :rolleyes:
    I don't know why I used "I" instead of "he".. I'm getting crazy :eek: :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Etrurian wrote:
    I don't know why I used "I" instead of "he".. I'm getting crazy :eek: :cool:
    And even he didn't use "I".

The english "I" was "Ego" in latin (and also in ancient greek) but it wasn't used. In actual Italian "I" is "io" but it isn't used too much.

Advertisement