Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investigations

• 16-05-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyone out there doing or interested in doing a non group led investigation. The type of thing we used to do where someone would book a location and a group of strangers would all meet up and go looking for ghosts.

PLEASE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Cant say we do. We're still doing that old fashioned thing where someone ring ups up, asks for a bit of help and then you go and see if you can answer any questions for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Essentially what I'm looking for is a non affiliated group of like minded people doing independent paranormal research at the same time in the same location with the possibility of tea,coffee and paranormal chat.

Do Charleville castle or Ross Castle still cater for unsupervised groups. I dont want to have to be lead by a ghostbuster, I just want to sit in the dark, ask stupid questions to an empty room and eat penguin bars.

Anyone else?

you should check out carlow shopping centre. well - i dont knoe if it would have the scare appeal, but theres something very strnge about that place. its a pity superquinn wont let anyone into their place after lockup - next time im in there at night I'm putting as many recording devices as possible outside superquinn. still havent figured out what was going on the last time.

I always wanted to do Carlow shopping center. Ive done a few radio interviews about ghosts in the place but never actually been in it. Cheers maccored for the tip

check out the contact details at http://www.carlowshoppingcentre.com/; and give him a buzz - John is the centre managers name. Let me know, cus I'd go (if only to set up recorders around superquinn and nothing else)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

sound good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

I'd actually really like that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Riamfada wrote: »
    Essentially what I'm looking for is a non affiliated group of like minded people doing independent paranormal research at the same time in the same location with the possibility of tea,coffee and paranormal chat.

Do Charleville castle or Ross Castle still cater for unsupervised groups. I dont want to have to be lead by a ghostbuster, I just want to sit in the dark, ask stupid questions to an empty room and eat penguin bars.

Anyone else?

Haha Id be like you. We went on one with a ghost team and while it was nice one ruined it but doing stupid things so I gave up. I even enjoy just going to see the buildings as most of them are quite funky. You can book Ross Castle and that for private parties, we have talked about it many times to see if we would head up with a group of friends. I would be interested in going on them tis just to set it up. We are suppose to head somewhere in Cork tom to have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i d love to do this but im down in cork :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

You know I'd be up for it, and I know a couple of others that would too. It's a shame that these things never actually come to fruition though.

I'd actually love it though. Consider me an indefinite yes; I'll damn well make time whenever I need to.

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    i d love to do this but im down in cork :( ?

Sure aren't I in Cork too..I can give you a email sometime if you like if we are heading off anywhere..

We took a trip to St.Kevins at the weekend but could not get in anywhere all was well boarded up but tis nice to even walk around the buildings good place to take a few pics..

But we were talking after about Ross Castle in Meath, we went before with a Ghost hunt group which was good except for one member of team ruining it for us but you can rent it out completely, might be worth a shot sometime, if we ever start planning ill be sure to let ye know

I would book Ross Castle no problem. Id deal with the owners and make payment. The only thing would be that people who have to pay in advance. The last two times I organised Ross for groups (of people I know) loads of people pulled out on the day and I had to foot the entire bill.

If anyone really is interested Ill do the booking but deposits via paypal in advance! Minimum of 10 people in order to book Ross but to be honest you could get away with 8.

Ghost hunting, ghost stories, paranormal investigation, food ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

@Riamfada. Fair play to you for getting something going. But how would you record, evaluate and analyse the nights proceedings?

I see above that you mentioned that you wouldn't want to be led and would just want to sit and chat and wait. I understand your view point, but surely unless you all see or hear something significant and the event be recorded, then surely the night spent would, albeit it enjoyable but research wise, a waste of time?

Kettleson wrote: »
    @Riamfada. Fair play to you for getting something going. But how would you record, evaluate and analyse the nights proceedings?

I see above that you mentioned that you wouldn't want to be led and would just want to sit and chat and wait. I understand your view point, but surely unless you all see or hear something significant and the event be recorded, then surely the night spent would, albeit it enjoyable but research wise, a waste of time?

Hey Kettleson,

In my opinion there is no shortage of groups of there doing paranormal research and attempting to control their environment and record data in a scientific manner. I tried to do this myself with a group for a long time. What I discovered was that there is never any way to have 100% control over the factors that influence your research and any findings that you do capture or record can never truely be scientifically watertight.

I think that the ghost hunting/paranormal investigation thing is a subjective experience and personally I cant document anything that is of any value to anyone other than myself. Im not a scientist and I dont understand the science sufficiently to lecture on electromagnatism and infrasound (other than what I read on wikipedia).

So lets all go to a castle, armed with cameras and torches and if you get a photo or an EVP recorded then all the best. I find that when I go on investigations that are led by a group, Im being told what to do and where to go by someone who dosnt really know what they are doing anyway and being lectured about EVP by someone with less qualifications on the matter than me. I also find these investigations less enjoyable as they attract people who expect to be given equipment and torches whereby if people are responsible for their own investigation then they can team up on the night, get to meet people and have fun. :)

Would be great to get something going. Here is a link to one we organised years ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3403692

@Riamfada. I can see clearly now where you are coming from, and that does make a lot of sense. Thanks for that. :)

PS: I'd be interested in getting involved, but I'm up in the north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Hate to resurrect threads, but I really do want this to happen. So, who's up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vauraine

I'd be interested in this! Having never done anything like this, it would be great to be able to talk to more experienced people and pick their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've got more free time these days so I'd be up for it.

Im still interested. I was thinking about this and the main problem in the past has been 10 people saying they will turn up and in reality only 3 arriving then the organiser gets stung by the landlord. Would anyone be open to the idea of paying any costs in advance via paypal ect? Ill happily organise it if Im not liable for people not showing up ..... (again)

Personally id do an investigation in Oct/Nov. Its darker and thats when the ghosts come out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vauraine

Riamfada I'd be fine with paying costs in advance once the date is set before I pay, so that I know 100% if I can make it.

• Advertisement

Okay well after August I'll set a date and location for Sept/Oct and give everyone plenty of notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Hi I'd be interested in going along, always been curious....... Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

@Riamfada try not make it one of the usual boring places that everyone knows about :D

Ziycon wrote: »
    @Riamfada try not make it one of the usual boring places that everyone knows about :D

The choices are usually Ross Castle or Charleville Castle unfortunately. Is there anyone groups out there still organising these types of events. Could someone please PM me if they know.

Ghost Hunt Ireland do these events Breda is lovely there one of the team not too sure about. But you could ask but again these are all the typical places you would go too.

Riamfada wrote: »
    The choices are usually Ross Castle or Charleville Castle unfortunately. Is there anyone groups out there still organising these types of events. Could someone please PM me if they know.

why do castles = ghosts? if they do exist, im sure they're sick of old castles. I may stick in one of these in case ye freak out- :P

maccored wrote: »
    why do castles = ghosts? if they do exist, im sure they're sick of old castles. I may stick in one of these in case ye freak out- :P

Im open to suggestions of other locations that will allow this type of paranormal investigation.:pac:

i can only think of the one, which I already suggested ... but at the same time, Im not too sure it would suit a large group.

off the top of my head though, I could tell you of four or five places between here and dublin that currently have strange things going on, but again they wouldnt suit groups. ive found the paranormal and large groups of people tend not to work.

• Advertisement

Hi folks.

What would be the necessary criteria for picking a location?

Maybe it would help to focus in a bit?

1) How far will people travel?
    2) what accommodation will be needed? Or do participants stay up all night at the location and leave in the morning? Ie: will participants need to book a B&B to crash out in at 4am?
    3) how and where is the information/experiences evaluated?
    4) what's the criteria for selection of location? Would it be worth considering lesser known sites?
    5) does the site have to be enclosed with a roof on it? Or will folk sit in a graveyard sorta thing? Time of year. Weather etc..
    6) and of course, I have no doubt in absolutely recommending that all costs are paid up front.

These are only a few rambling ideas. I'd like to participate, but practically I'm limited to the north-west.

Hope this helps to focus in on getting things rolling.

Advertisement