Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudest type of people to deal with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

I visited a car dismantler in Sligo, who I thought was totally rude on the phone, but after being in the place for 20 minutes, I observed his nature with some customers and he is OK after all, you just have to get to know him first I suppose. First impressions last though, especially in business! I don't think all car dismantlers are as abrupt, as I had to phone about 10 places a few months ago, and some of them seemed like very nice people.
    viztopia wrote: »
    I recently had to buy a part for my car and as it is an old enough car it made no sense to buy the part new as the price of it was neary half that of the car. I rang around about 15 car dismantlers looking for the part and i have to say they seem to be the rudest/most ignorant bunch of people i have ever dealt with as a whole. who do you think as a group are the rudest people to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

I'm going to be crucified for this but middle aged African women are the rudest people i've dealt with.

I work at a deli counter and whenever a middle aged african women comes up and just goes "i want chips" in the grumpiest way possible. When i give them what they asked for they look at it and just walk off without any please or thank you.

For some reason all the middle aged african women i serve are like this. All African men and younger women are much nicer but for some reason the middle aged women are a nightmare to deal with.

Say what you think, the bleeding heart liberals are not looking over your shoulder, are they?
    HiKite wrote: »
    I visited a car dismantler in Sligo, who I thought was totally rude on the phone, but after being in the place for 20 minutes, I observed his nature with some customers and he is OK after all, you just have to get to know him first I suppose. First impressions last though, especially in business! I don't think all car dismantlers are as abrupt, as I had to phone about 10 places a few months ago, and some of them seemed like very nice people.

No you dont, you just want to purchaser a part which should be at least coulpled with a bit of manners, and a receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So say you met 10 South Africans, 5 who were white and 5 who were black. If the 5 white people were quiet ignorant, and the 5 five black people were quiet friendly, how would you differenciate them when describing it to someone eles?

Theres nothing wrong with saying what colour/race someone is when giving a discription of them

Funny when i have done that previously got called a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a special level of Hell dedicated to YouTube commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Say what you think, the bleeding heart liberals are not looking over your shoulder, are they?

No you just want to purchaser a part which should be at least coulpled with a bit of manners, and a receipt!

Who are these mythical "bleeding heart liberals"? I find that people whine about them when there is no actual evidence they exist and usually start moaning about them in threads like these before anyone has actually exhibited the behaviour that is being railed against.

Fecking Sun readers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

caseyann wrote: »
    Funny when i have done that previously got called a racist.

But its not racism, yeah its definitely stereotyping alright which in a thread titled 'Rudest type of people....' is inevitable, but using a persons colour to describe them is not racism, it's being discriptive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Home improvement store workers. Majority of them, from my experience, have zero knowledge of the products they sell and can't be arsed helping you with anything really. They do as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Old biddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Nigerians.

This is not me being racist, this is just observed through my own 3 years working in a shop where I have had to photocopy alot of documentation for people from other countries.

I can say that, without a doubt, there has only been a handful of nigerians I have served in the shop that has not been, on some level, rude. From jumping the queue, to demanding tippex/scissors/sellotape, to not saying please or thank you, to pushing their papers at me, having kids running riot in the shop, calling me a stupid girl, tutting at me, pushing other customers bags off the counter because they need to fill out a form, taking off their shoes in the shop and demanding I fetch them a chair to use while their fax goes through... and so on.

Apparently it is a cultural thing, I have a friend whose boyfriend is Nigerian, and he said they have a very abrupt and demanding culture. It just clashes alot with ours! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

People who work in music (instruments, not CDs) shops. Never come across a bigger bunch of high and mighty cúnts in my life. As an aside, failed musicians, who for example played a guitar riff on a Thin Lizzy song 30 years ago but have done fúck all else since seem to have a massive ego problem, much more so than genuinely famous, successful ones. It's like they're bitter about having had a taste of it but nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Lesbian Gay bashers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Theres nothing wrong with saying what colour/race someone is when giving a discription of them
    But its not racism, yeah its definitely stereotyping alright which in a thread titled 'Rudest type of people....' is inevitable, but using a persons colour to describe them is not racism, it's being discriptive

I disagree to be honest, there is a cumulative effect from this kind of reporting which, intentionally or otherwise builds up a perception of certain races/nationalities amongst the public.

The only time such details are warranted is when descriptions are required to help the gardai - otherwise I see it as no more relevant than the colour of ones shoes or the clothes one is wearing - the latter two pieces of information are never printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Louth people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I definitely agree with the well to do middle aged women comment.

For instance I remember serving a lady not so long ago, she wanted to pay with a Mastercard but it had no chip so I said I'm sorry I can't accept this card. She made a big fuss about how I had to accept the card, I couldn't though as it's company policy where I work only to accept chip and pin. In the end reached into her purse and slammed a laser down on the counter and turned away.

I wasn't shocked, I've seen it all before but it's annoying how some people let it go to their head when they get some money.

On the flip side some of the nicest customers I've dealt with have been middle aged rich men, oddly. It's all very subjective anyway as each person's going to have their own biases.

The only time such details are warranted is when descriptions are required to help the gardai - otherwise I see it as no more relevant than the colour of ones shoes or the clothes one is wearing - the latter two pieces of information are never printed.

Thats what Im getting at though, describing someone as having black/white skin is no different to describing them as having black/white shoes. Once the reference to skin is made only in a discriptive sence

Thats what Im getting at though, describing someone as having black/white skin is no different to describing them as having black/white shoes. Once the reference to skin is made only in a discriptive sence

But you are working on the flawed premise that this information is not going to influence anyones perceptions - in the ideal world, this would be true, but in reality, it leads to racisim by installments. If it is inconsequential, leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Schism wrote: »

On the flip side some of the nicest customers I've dealt with have been middle aged rich men, oddly. It's all very subjective anyway as each person's going to have their own biases.

There's a couple of middle aged rich men who come into my shop who are complete pricks.

Can we trade?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nigerians.

This is not me being racist, this is just observed through my own 3 years working in a shop where I have had to photocopy alot of documentation for people from other countries.

I can say that, without a doubt, there has only been a handful of nigerians I have served in the shop that has not been, on some level, rude. From jumping the queue, to demanding tippex/scissors/sellotape, to not saying please or thank you, to pushing their papers at me, having kids running riot in the shop, calling me a stupid girl, tutting at me, pushing other customers bags off the counter because they need to fill out a form, taking off their shoes in the shop and demanding I fetch them a chair to use while their fax goes through... and so on.

Haha, give a scissors to a Nigerian? Yeah, that's gonna happen.

In fairness to them tho it's unfair to single out Nigerians for this kind of rude behavior. For instance I've found they're pig ignorant no matter what part of Sub-Saharan Africa they come from

But you are working on the flawed premise that this information is not going to influence anyones perceptions - in the ideal world, this would be true, but in reality, it leads to racisim by installments. If it is inconsequential, leave it out.

If it influences someone's perception, thats down to them and their prejudice. In an earlier post, someone said that they found white South Africans to be unfriendly/ignorant. IMO, they were being discriptive, and not racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Work in Croke Park now and again and I just find that auld fellas from the country, especially Munster for some reason, are the rudest, least pleasant people I ever have to deal with. Nasty, grumpy, I hate-dubs attitude just pisses me right off.

Oh and Louth people ;).

• Advertisement

If it influences someone's perception, thats down to them and their prejudice. In an earlier post, someone said that they found white South Africans to be unfriendly/ignorant. IMO, they were being discriptive, and not racist

I think there is a logical reason for the description above though - due to cultural differences there is a marked difference in the attitudes of many white south africans and their native counterparts - look at the aparthied issue.

the poster in question obviously felt it was necessary in this case to be able to distinguish between those with whom he had an issue and those with whom he did not. I'm not commenting on the opinion held, just on the fact that mentioning the skin colour or ethnicity of a person arrested for shoplifting has fcuk all to do with the story - it leads, eventually to prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Personally I love sterotyping. People who disagree with it are only fooling themselves. Steropyes exist as a generalisation of something. If you disagree with sterotyping you disagree with the law of averages and basic matamatics that is a PROVEN and effective methode of determening the mean worth of something. We see it every day and companies bet big amounts of money on the precess.....

*79% of women agree - Moisturiser
    *9 out of ten cats - cat food
    And the list goes on.

Do the same people giving out about sterotypes give out about the way these stats are composed as sterotyping?

Same thing with books and cover..."Oh you cant judge a book by its cover" ... of coarse you can! In fact thats exactly what the books cover is designed for - to be able advertise what the content and tone of the book is about at a glance! Otherwise book shelves would be full of identical looking books that no one could tell what they were at a glance.

Look at the experiement below.... an adult book and a Childrens book.... can you label them simply judging the books by their cover...... (yes, you can)

Oh... and yes white south africans seem to have a complex where they are used to treating people like crap in africa so seem to think it'll fly over here.

I think there is a logical reason for the description above though - due to cultural differences there is a marked difference in the attitudes of many white south africans and their native counterparts - look at the aparthied issue.

the poster in question obviously felt it was necessary in this case to be able to distinguish between those with whom he had an issue and those with whom he did not. I'm not commenting on the opinion held, just on the fact that mentioning the skin colour or ethnicity of a person arrested for shoplifting has fcuk all to do with the story - it leads, eventually to prejudices.

Yeah, I agree with you completly, I never said anything about commenting on a persons race wrt a crime. Also like yourself, Im not commenting on the opinion, just the discription given

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hightower1 wrote: »
    Personally I love sterotyping. People who disagree with it are only fooling themselves. Steropyes exist as a generalisation of something. If you disagree with sterotyping you disagree with the law of averages and basic matamatics that is a PROVEN and effective methode of determening the mean worth of something. We see it every day and companies bet big amounts of money on the precess.....

*79% of women agree - Moisturiser
    *9 out of ten cats - cat food
    And the list goes on.

Do the same people giving out about sterotypes give out about the way these stats are composed as sterotyping?

Same thing with books and cover..."Oh you cant judge a book by its cover" ... of coarse you can! In fact thats exactly what the books cover is designed for - to be able advertise what the content and tone of the book is about at a glance! Otherwise book shelves would be full of identical looking books that no one could tell what they were at a glance.

Look at the experiement below.... an adult book and a Childrens book.... can you label them simply judging the books by their cover...... (yes, you can)

Oh... and yes white south africans seem to have a complex where they are used to treating people like crap in africa so seem to think it'll fly over here.
    Good post!

I must add that I have heard from many people whom have travelled over the last few years, that they returned with a negative feeling towards Israelis. Probably a similar situation to the white south africans, because they "all" complained about how the Israelis were treating the local population (thailand, Cambodia) then the irish that noticed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

People who work in music (instruments, not CDs) shops. Never come across a bigger bunch of high and mighty cúnts in my life.

i actually couldn't agree more - shower of stuck-up pricks. although I must say the new guitar shop across from music-maker in dublin has the soundest staff I've ever met in any shop, let alone a music shop. plus, the girl who works there is smooookin' hot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

everyone.

God I hate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭ Leo Defeated Gorge

Customers who are middle aged women. *shudders*
    And well-off auld fellas.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The rudest people are often those who are ignorant on a particular topic but proceed to talk about it as if they were an expert.....

Often seen to frequent AH threads late into the night and best avoided at all costs!!:p

Whats an AH thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

People who have a little power and think it's a lot, maybe who work for the Government..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement