Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "WWE NXT" thread ***Contains SPOILERS***

• 16-02-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I'm setting this up so we can talk about the new WWE show that'll be re-placing ECW in 2 week's time, WWE NXT

I think this'll be a very interesting show that should (hopefully) bring in some viewers.

From waltersobchek in the "ECW could be going??" thread:
    speculation about what WWE's new NXT show would be like, we finally have some new concrete information - it's got nothing to do with science fiction or conspiracies.

Entertainment industry publication Variety reveals that WWE NXT will be a reality-based show, similar to Tough Enough and UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter," that will feature eight rookie wrestlers from WWE's developmental system (Florida Championship Wrestling) as they work their way towards a spot on the main WWE roster. Each rookie will be paired up with a veteran WWE superstar as their mentor, "with egos often getting in the way, as they learn the ropes of competing in the ring in front of live audiences, creating characters and speaking on camera."

WWE is teasing the series as a window into how the company truly operates.

"These kids crash and burn a lot," said Vince McMahon. "By putting them into this environment we'll find out if they can make it. There's no better way to develop skills than being in front of an audience. And that makes for good television."

WWE sent out the following press release today:

WWE NXT DEBUTS ON SYFY

STAMFORD, Conn., February 16, 2010 – World Wrestling Entertainment and Syfy today announced the next generation of reality television with the debut of WWE NXT, Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM ET/PT on Syfy.

WWE NXT is a hybrid live event/reality show featuring eight well-known, popular WWE Superstars (“Pros”) mentoring eight WWE “Rookies.” These Rookies, who are learning the ropes, are athletes who epitomize pop culture and personify strong attributes – they are opinionated and aggressive – which means inherent conflict between Rookies and other Rookies, conflict between Rookies and Pros, as well as, conflict between Pros and Pros. The trials and tribulations of the WWE NXT cast ensure action-packed, innovative entertainment – WWE Style.

“Once again, WWE will bring something entirely new to the television landscape as WWE meets reality TV,” said Vince McMahon, Chairman and CEO, World Wrestling Entertainment. “As we introduce this brand new franchise exclusively on Syfy, WWE NXT will have a completely different look and feel from our other WWE television programming.”

“Syfy is excited to continue our partnership with WWE, Vince and his team with this innovative live event/reality show,” said Syfy President Dave Howe. “This is a unique combination of heart-stopping entertainment and gritty behind-the-scenes reality. The NXT Rookies take the challenge of our new tagline ‘Imagine Greater’ to heart as they embark on their ultimate dream quest to be the next generation of revered heroes and champions in the fantastic arena of the WWE.”

From Jolt in the "ECW could be going??" thread:
    WWE sources have told us that the following talents are scheduled to be a part of the NXT show, which will debut on Sy Fy in the current ECW timeslot next week.

FCW Champion: Justin Angel
    Daniel Bryan
    Kaval
    Skip Sheffield
    Joe Hennig
    Brett Dibiase
    Darren Young
    Heath Slater
    Michael Tarver

Source - http://www.pwinsider.com/article/451...-show.html?p=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I'm interesting in getting a look at Joe Henning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Im interested in seeing Hennig too, He must be pretty good, with being a 3rd generation wrestler and all. The only thing is i think he's in his early 30's, and doesnt really have his fathers "look" per se

news-joehennig-1250632314.jpg

Im interested in seeing Hennig too, He must be pretty good, with being a 3rd generation wrestler and all. The only thing is i think he's in his early 30's, and doesnt really have his fathers "look" per se

No not exactly Mr. Perfect but he tags with DiBiase as the prodigal sons gimmick afaik.
    Great way of exposing the new talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Having a father a wrestler is no guarantee though. Look at David Flair.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Having a father a wrestler is no guarantee though. Look at David Flair.

Yeah very true..

• Advertisement

The following pairings for the WWE NXT show were announced on the final ECW on SyFy show this evening…

* Chris Jericho will be mentoring Wade Barrett
    * Matt Hardy will be mentoring Justin Gabriel
    * MVP will be mentoring Skip Sheffield
    * Carlito will be mentoring Michael Tarver
    * The Miz will be mentoring Daniel Bryan
    * Christian will be mentoring Heath Slater
    * CM Punk will be mentoring Darren Young
    * R-Truth will be mentoring David Otunga

As previously reported, the show will feature teams of eight (4 rookies and 4 coaches per team) and be split by who are the heels and who are the faces. So the teams would be…

FACE TEAM:
    * Matt Hardy
    * Justin Gabriel
    * MVP
    * Skip Sheffield
    * Christian
    * Heath Slater
    * R-Truth
    * David Otunga

HEEL TEAM:
    * Chris Jericho
    * Wade Barrett
    * Carlito
    * Michael Tarver
    * The Miz
    * Daniel Bryan
    * CM Punk
    * Darren Young

Cant believe they didnt go for Jericho/Danielson that would have been unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Memnoch99

I resume Daniel Bryan is actually Bryan Danielson? If so WTF is he doing on this show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

The Miz? REALLY?

Vince McMahon hates us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The Miz is.... Deadly :p. I don't see how you can hate The Miz, except for him being a good heel, he is to quote him Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The following pairings for the WWE NXT show were announced on the final ECW on SyFy show this evening…

* Chris Jericho will be mentoring Wade Barrett
    * Matt Hardy will be mentoring Justin Gabriel
    * MVP will be mentoring Skip Sheffield
    * Carlito will be mentoring Michael Tarver
    * The Miz will be mentoring Daniel Bryan
    * Christian will be mentoring Heath Slater
    * CM Punk will be mentoring Darren Young
    * R-Truth will be mentoring David Otunga

As previously reported, the show will feature teams of eight (4 rookies and 4 coaches per team) and be split by who are the heels and who are the faces. So the teams would be…

FACE TEAM:
    * Matt Hardy
    * Justin Gabriel
    * MVP
    * Skip Sheffield
    * Christian
    * Heath Slater
    * R-Truth
    * David Otunga

HEEL TEAM:
    * Chris Jericho
    * Wade Barrett
    * Carlito
    * Michael Tarver
    * The Miz
    * Daniel Bryan
    * CM Punk
    * Darren Young

Cant believe they didnt go for Jericho/Danielson that would have been unreal

Wonder if Joe Hennig will just be bumped straight up to the main roster

• Advertisement

Wonder if Joe Hennig will just be bumped straight up to the main roster

I kind of get the impression they've held some wrestlers back, for the next round of 8 development guys, kinda of a why put all our eggs in one basket sort of thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Memnoch99 wrote: »
    I resume Daniel Bryan is actually Bryan Danielson? If so WTF is he doing on this show?

Yes it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Danielson being "mentored" by The Miz is an insult to the entire industry of professional wrestling. Of course, it may be done from the charisma point of view, something The Miz has in abundance.

Should be an interesting show. I am just wondering how much of it will be worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

gimmick wrote: »
    Danielson being "mentored" by The Miz is an insult to the entire industry of professional wrestling. Of course, it may be done from the charisma point of view, something The Miz has in abundance.
    You answered it. I'm sure the WWE know he's "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" to all on the internet. He just needs to be able to cut better promos to make any waves in the WWE.

I always thought Danielson cut great promos in ROH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

This could either become really really good and be a cool thing to watch.

Or it could turn into another tough enough...
    Or worse..

Celebrity Championship Wrestling!

I hope not, its a fresh(enough) format.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Of course, it may be done from the charisma point of view, something The Miz has in abundance.

You just saved me a massive rant on the topic as this could be a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Fair play to the 'e'. I was really dreading this but now, having seen who's on it, I'm probably more intrigued about NXT than I am about any other wrestling show on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I always thought Danielson cut great promos in ROH

I would not say great, but Dragon is far from the worst on the mic. Think Michaleetc... did an article on this and made some very valid points in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I don't see how you can hate The Miz, except for him being a good heel, he is to quote him Awesome.
    I don't hate The Miz, but the thought of him mentoring Danielson is fairly outlandish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Hate to be getting mentored by Carlito!

I would not say great, but Dragon is far from the worst on the mic. Think Michaleetc... did an article on this and made some very valid points in that regard.

Maybe great is too strong a word,but certainly very good, Then again it could also be very similar to Bret Hart. And how people said he has no/very little charisma and couldnt cut a decent promo. But now since his return everyone realises, actually wait a minute.. he is pretty good. Especially in comparision to guys currently in WWE. He mightn't be the Rock.. but hes certainly no Michelle McCool either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Good to see they put someone with Miz that can help his wrestling along.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I am really looking forward to this. It has the potential to be really good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Great choice for Danielson imo. I was expecting it to be Dean Malenko for some reason, or someone else who was great in the ring but not much else and wouldn't have anything to really teach him.

No Low Ki :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Danielson could learn a thing or two from the Miz though. Seriously. Also if the Miz picks up some in ring ability from Danielson than you have a bonified superstar on your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I liked to have seen HBK or Jericho with Danielson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i'm kinda looking forward to this now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Danielson could learn a thing or two from the Miz though. Seriously. Also if the Miz picks up some in ring ability from Danielson than you have a bonified superstar on your hands

I want to see the reaction of the internet if the Miz tries to teach Danielson how to work.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

So NXT is going to be sort of like WWE's watered down version of the ultimate fighter?

Advertisement