Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA Medals in War of Independence

• 04-01-2006 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Does anybody know if people who fought in the war of independence received medals for their participation?

Or were any medals presented?

Or were medals given to just people who carried out some act of bravery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

I'm pretty sure medals and certificates were given out to some volunteers of the IRA, the Hibernian Rifles and na Fianna Eireann. Who, and for what, I couldn't tell ya.

If you have the book " Guerrilla days in Ireland" by Tom Barry, look at the photo of Tom Barry leading a column of veterans from the Kilmicheal ambush in 1966, he and other veterans are wearing what look to be medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There were service medals given out to the Volunteers and Cumann na mBan. I've seen some of them who were awarded to members of the Comerford family (Boland's Mills and later I believe) but it was some time ago and I don't have any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just out of interest too, I see one hell of a lot of these medals turning up on E-bay, the 'Black and Tan medals', the '1916 Survivors' medal etc etc. They look genuine and good but I'm just wondering why there is such an influx of them now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

Forgot about Cumann na mBan.

If they are on ebay they are surely fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I think there are some medals on display on Kildare St?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Neesha

There are two types of these medals as far as I know, there are less of the survivor medals than the service medals and are more valuable. We have two of the service medals, one was given to my great grandfather by De Velera himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

There are two types of these medals as far as I know, there are less of the survivor medals than the service medals and are more valuable. We have two of the service medals, one was given to my great grandfather by De Velera himself.

What does the service medal look like? Could you describe it for me?

Its amazing how had it is to find information on this topic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Neesha

kewl....

we have one of 1919 - 1921 Independence medal and turns out the other is a 21-71 survivors medal.. I didn't even know that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Ok, maybe its not hard to get info on them!!!1:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bustop

Do the medals lose value by being re-ribboned and cleaned?

In what circumstances were the "Comhrac" medals awarded? What criteria were used to decide who got what? Flying column ok. Any other circumstance?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭GusherING

I just found that in my house we have the black and tan medal, the 1916 medal, the 1966 medal and the 1971 medal!! Anybody know how much these are worth, not that I'd sell them or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I've seen that set on ebay for about $1000

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭GusherING

Are you serious?? I didn't realise they'd be that valuable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

GusherING,

They are VERY valuable, its not everyday that Ireland had an Easter Rising and War of Independance, those medals were for the men who help found the Ireland we know today, and thus are greatly sought after. I think its very sad to see them on e-bay, I dont know where they are all springing from. I guess a lot of the old fighters have passed on in recent years and there medals are snapped up and sold, they're worth more than that though!

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

GusherING wrote:
    Are you serious?? I didn't realise they'd be that valuable!!

Well when you think about it, how many men who fought in 1916 were still alive in 1966? Not alot so it was quite a small issue. I know we have War of Independence medal at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Men *and* women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PBaker

You will find all the information you requested at
    www.TheEasterRising.Eu[/url] ,
    If you want any other questions answered drop me a line at info@TheEasterRising.Eu
    all the best Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Bustop wrote:
    In what circumstances were the "Comhrac" medals awarded?

The Comhrac Bar was awarded to those who had actually participated in an action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I saw this one on another militaria collecting forum:

IRAfront.jpgIRAback.jpg

I don't think it is an official decoration like the other medals but possibly some private commemoration pin/badge/medal? Also, I don't know why the colour of the ribbon is grean and red. Shouldn't it be green, white and orange (sorry, my area would be more German WWII decorations).

Best,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

In an old pub in Belfast I've seen British WW1 campaign medals next to the tan (1919-21) medal. If they belong to the same bloke then they are worth a fortune! The Irish medals were not stamped with individuals names so its hard to prove who has what. My great-grandfather had a tan medal but he died in the late 50's and I don't know where it is now. Shame to see relatives sell them off, worse to break up a collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

nollaig wrote:
    Does anybody know if people who fought in the war of independence received medals for their participation?

Or were any medals presented?

Or were medals given to just people who carried out some act of bravery?

My Grandfather recieved medals from President De Valera sometime in the 40's/50's, i have them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Patrick2378

I have just been offered €650 for my Black and Tan Medal, this morning and it is in it's original box and the person who owned it I have his Military documents to match the medal. I know they are authentic because the person who received this medal was my grandfather. The person who offered me the €650 is a private collector.(we think) He has offered me this without seeing the medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Lads,
    sorry to drag up an old thread. The mother has me scouring the net looking for a price on my grandfather's two medals. One of them is the 1921-71 and the other is kind of a local Tipp 3rd brigade one.

I've googled a fair bit but couldn't get a price on it. I was just wondering if anyone here would have a ball park figure on the '21-'71 medal.

I'll try get a couple of shots of the other one as it may interest some people here.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i inherited my grandads medal years ago and i only found out what its meant in the last few years. (its the black and tan one with the bar, he had three altogether but the other two were stolen back in the 60s along with the house's gas meter! )

does anyone know how i can get my grandads files? i know he was jailed in kilmainham and setenced to death (twice! ) so who would i go to to get copies of this stuff. do you have to root around or is there a central office?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PBaker

does anyone know how i can get my grandads files? ithanks

I have discussed this on my web site www.TheEasterRising.Eu in detail

Slán

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thanks man.

will check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I've my grandfathers survivors medal and two toher one (i must check or post pics) They are mint and have the original ribbons and presentation box (i won't sell them as thay are the last thing i have left belonging to him).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

i think its a total shame that the likes are being sold to private collectors i think the gov. should set up a kind of buying agency where it buy's irish history valuables like the procalamtions orignals and the 1916 medals and '21 medals and the surviours medals.

i have a display for the four medals the 1916 medal and the black n tan war medals and the surviors medals for the both. for course they are replicas but still great.

Advertisement