Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm the goddess of slow. And old as well. But thanks for making an old lady happy. And it wont be a big stretch to imagine everyone naked so I'll try that, cheers.

*waits with bated breath for pics*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm the goddess of slow. And old as well. But thanks for making an old lady happy. And it wont be a big stretch to imagine everyone naked so I'll try that, cheers.

*waits with bated breath for pics*

Tried to post pics...but all that happened was my link to the pics was referenced (and you can get to them via the link, but that's unexciting). I'm pretty technically-challenged and am not sure how to just slap those photos up there on the site like all of ye other peeps....so...if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them.

If you have the pic on your pc, upload it to a hosting site like tinypic. It will give you a link to the photo that you can paste into a reply in any thread. Hth :)

Trying now....

Done. I'm not as glamorous as you, and I hate pics of myself, but there you go!

• Advertisement

Oh good god if you think I'm glamorous I need to post a different picture. Youre a lean mean running machine. With more than a hint of Demi :)

I wasn't sure if I would be able to train today. After a good day Friday, yesterday was I was a wreck again. This weird flu seems to hit in 24 hour bursts. But I woke feeling pretty good, and an hour on the turbo at z2 was ok. Later today I got out for a run, which I got through but it was tough.. Though for GI issues rather than flu. As usual I can't run after eating anything other than porridge and two hours after I've finished I'm still sick. :) But got just over ten miles done at least.

Thats week eleven done. A rotten week because I was off form for most of it. I did get some good sessions done though, and my total hours were just twenty minutes off target, even if the individual targets were screwed up. But this was the first week I felt pressure. It all felt hard. Hopefully this dose will feck off and next week will be an improvement.

Pretty ok swim today. 500 warm up, including 100 backstroke. 1000m of mixed drills. 600m paddles. 2 x 300 and a 200 s/d.

2900 in total. (would have been 3k but ran out of time.) It felt good, particularly the last sets. Apart from when a biffo stood in the middle of the swim lane for ten minutes to chat (to his mates, not to me!), and then relaxed by sitting on the lane divider. I got such pool rage. :)

Kettlebells. With added pullups, dips and handstands. Very tired by it all but its always such a satisfying workout. I have a 1500 tt tomorrow so no early turbo. Need all the energy I can get so the coach don't rip into me. :)

Kettlebells. With added pullups, dips and handstands. Very tired by it all but its always such a satisfying workout. I have a 1500 tt tomorrow so no early turbo. Need all the energy I can get so the coach don't rip into me. :)

Handstands? Good god, is there nothing you can't do?
    And your tt......I'll be sending you some good mojo, so knock em dead! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

kettlebells, pull-ups, handstands and dips the night before a 1500m TT?
    Eeeeek :eek:

kettlebells, pull-ups, handstands and dips the night before a 1500m TT?
    Eeeeek :eek:
    Yeah. My shoulders ache. :) I'm more concerned with having worn myself out on the 2.9k swim yesterday. :rolleyes:

I can only do the handstand against the wall, so not that wonderful!

I'm not holding out much hope on the tt, with the training load these days, everything is slowing down just a little. But I'll give it a shot. Better than diving off that dive block, anyhoo!

I went. I swam. It was as expected: slow. First few lengths I couldn't get my hr under control. I felt sluggish throughout the whole thing. In fact at 32 lengths I wanted so bad to get out that I had to give myself a stern talking to. :) I stuck it out but it even felt slow! I was so glad to get to the last few lengths and get it done but at the same time dreading the poor time which ended up half a minute slower than a few weeks ago. The coach was disappointed in me but we chatted and both know why I'm not hitting what I should, and its not lack of work. But he wants me to make the times I'm capable of and was very helpful in what he said.

Separately I now have a clubmate trying to psyche me out with weird mind games, which is a new one on me. I never realised people took competitiveness that far!

Psychological warfare was always the passive-aggressive weapon of choice by swimmers in my day. Anything to get an edge. Just blow her off.

You know, 30 seconds isn't really all that bad for that distance....but more importantly, you had an opportunity to assess where you are and why, and it sounds like you've got clarity and a plan.....which translates into a constructive tt. And, just in case your coach didn't mention this in his chat with you, I've got two words to help you get some of that 30 seconds back: starting blocks. ;)

I took a rest day yesterday, shock horror. Not that I wanted to, but Im taking the advice of better people than me. :) And I suppose I needed it, I could feel the fatigue in my legs every time I had to go up steps!

So back in the saddle, literally, this morning, and the 24 hour rest has made a difference. I did a set that involved holding at 80% (144bpm)at first, then did 5 mins @ 85% 70cad, followed by 5 mins 85% 100 cad. Repeated that twice. The rest of the time I held the 80%. I was meant to repeat it three times but I screwed up the time, and got cut short by kids and dogs waking up for breakfast. But this is still the strongest set Ive done in a few weeks. That lingering flu made it too hard to work at those levels, the hr just wouldnt come up last week.

My hours are a bit short this week, with the rest day and one missed session, but hopefully I will catch up a bit over the next few days. Thankfully its a step back week anyway. Note to self: Rest days rock.

Second session of the day was a run. Same one as I've done over the last few weeks but this felt better by far than I have in ages. 11k, with a five minute burst of sprinting in the middle. I didn't have the garmin but I ran the whole distance about four minutes faster than last week and felt good for all of it.

I hadn't eaten before I went out but as a test I ate a banana before I set off (I detest them but needs must) and had no reflux or GI problems. So they will be one of my training foods of choice. Now all I have to do is stop myself gagging when I eat them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now all I have to do is stop myself gagging when I eat them! :)

Don't mind that Oryx, keep trying to swallow those bananas without gagging, your hubby will reap the benefits ;)

And the winner of the category of stereotypical response is catweazle! :)

Swim this morning. Didn't bother with drills or anything else, I just wanted to swim. So I did. Pretty much a non stop 2250, with just a bit of backstroke in the warm up to loosen out my stiff shoulders. As usual I was only really starting to relax and enjoy it when time ran out. :)

Met a group this morning for some much needed interval training. Started with a five minute sprint on soft sand, with our distance recorded for future reference. That alone was hell. Then into the woods for the proper set. Not timed, just running hard then easy at set markers. It was a sandy trail that seemed to get longer each time you ran it. :) Total session took an hour, mileage about 5 miles but that included stopping etc. I love sets like that with hard work and a bit of company and banter. Can't wait for the next one.

• Advertisement

After a lie in (8am!) I got out on the bike this morning. Did an out and back and thought I was flying on the out. Really good speed and it didn't feel hard. Wow, I thought. Maybe this is all finally working! No such luck. Once I turned around I realised why. When you are on the bike, and you can't feel any wind, then that's because its behind you.

The home stretch was a solid slog into a stiff breeze. It must have taken half as long again as the 'out'. Back up all those grand hills that I sailed down. :) 73km. 2hr 55.

At least I managed to hit my hours for this week. Tho as normal the swim was up. Bike and run down, with a kb session making up the difference, which is fine by me. I think it has a lot more benefit than a junk run. Lack of core strength really hindered me towards the end of last year so I'm not neglecting it this year.

On to week 13. *crosses fingers* :)

After a lie in (8am!) I got out on the bike this morning. Did an out and back and thought I was flying on the out. Really good speed and it didn't feel hard. Wow, I thought. Maybe this is all finally working! No such luck. Once I turned around I realised why. When you are on the bike, and you can't feel any wind, then that's because its behind you.

The home stretch was a solid slog into a stiff breeze. It must have taken half as long again as the 'out'. Back up all those grand hills that I sailed down. :) 73km. 2hr 55.

At least I managed to hit my hours for this week. Tho as normal the swim was up. Bike and run down, with a kb session making up the difference, which is fine by me. I think it has a lot more benefit than a junk run. Lack of core strength really hindered me towards the end of last year so I'm not neglecting it this year.

On to week 13. *crosses fingers* :)

I found the wind phenomemon to be true when running too - you can sure feel it when it's working against you head on (and your time sure shows it), but you don't feel it much (if at all) when it's at your back.

Solid work there, tough girl. I think you're hitting your stride!! :)

Short sharp swim this morning, very limited time today. Did a straight set, 2100, 50 mins. A bit of backstroke was the only variation. Felt good today, and weirdly, I did the first 1500, swimming moderate not hard, with bs and some stops, in 37 mins. Compared to my tt last week it goes to show how much fatigue played a part in last weeks time.

What is the date of your Ironman??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What is the date of your Ironman??

1st July.

No training today. Was supposed to do the club swim with 750 tt this evening, but earlier today a relative had a serious accident and I spent the day in A&E. Things like this remind you that you never know whats around the corner and you can take nothing for granted. Thank god he now seems to be ok, but we still all have our fingers crossed as he has a long recovery ahead.

Swim/bike/run just doesn't seem important today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

1st July.

No training today. Was supposed to do the club swim with 750 tt this evening, but earlier today a relative had a serious accident and I spent the day in A&E. Things like this remind you that you never know whats around the corner and you can take nothing for granted. Thank god he now seems to be ok, but we still all have our fingers crossed as he has a long recovery ahead.

Swim/bike/run just doesn't seem important today.

I hope everything works out fine with your relative and yes, there are more important things than S/B/R.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope all is alright Oryx.

Just catching up on logs now, you're still doing great training.

Have you your warm up races planned yet?

Yes, sometimes the unexpected puts things in perspective for us. Thoughts and prayers heading your way for you and your family.

Thanks for that. Hopefully he will have had a good night. I'm not saying much because who I am is known by lots of people. The accident (an rta) is my relatives business and I don't feel easy posting a lot of detail here. But I really appreciate the kind thoughts.

I was due to race ballbuster this weekend but thats a bit up in the air now. Otherwise my year looks like this: (life and stuff permitting)

April. Half mara (local)
    April. Oly tri. (Joey hannan)
    June. Double Oly. (Athy)
    July. IM. (Austria)
    September. Hellvelyn tri
    October. DCM

But right now I'm nervous even saying all that because sh!t happens and ya just never know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

April. Half mara (local)

Wexford? I'm organising the pacers for that (well I'm meant to be I'm being lazy at the moment). :)

Advertisement