Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my parents just kick me out?

• 03-07-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Just wondering can my parents just kick me out of the family home? Have i got s
    Any rights to stay? Im also an adult, just need some advice before they try to evict me! Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Do you pay rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Any rights to stay? Im also an adult, just need some advice before they try to evict me! Thanks...

If you are an adult, they have every right to kick you out of their home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Get outa this house ya little bastardooooo !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

If you are 18 or over yes they can, there parental responsibilities have diminished now. You really have no right to be there if they do not want you to be. Sorry dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

IIRC some parental responsibilities can continue beyond 18 if the child is still in full-time education.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What LowKey says.

In addition, would the OP not stop and think that maybe they are doing it for his own best interests?

What LowKey says.

In addition, would the OP not stop and think that maybe they are doing it for his own best interests?

i do agree with you but when you are homeless im Ireland it does not matter if your a drunk, a heroine addict or clean living you will be shoved into a hostel with crack heads and drunks for someone that is naive and not street smart its hell, i say that without knowing op or his/her situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If the can't, the law needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

i do agree with you but when you are homeless im Ireland it does not matter if your a drunk, a heroine addict or clean living

Leaving your parent's house and striking out on your own is a pretty normal part of growing up and should not, and does not normally, mean moving into a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Have you wondered why they want to kick you out, it may be the family home, but it is their house. Perhaps there are some issues you could do something about, that would make them less determined to "evict" you.
    Then again, if you really are an adult, you could always leave, and stand on your own two feet.

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    Leaving your parent's house and striking out on your own is a pretty normal part of growing up and should not, and does not normally, mean moving into a hostel.

if he could afford to strike it out on his own he might not be so worried as I said I dont know the situation just speculating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This may shed some light on the circumsances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

IIRC some parental responsibilities can continue beyond 18 if the child is still in full-time education.

It is invariably court ordered. A parent may be ordered to pay maintenance or forbear from selling the family home where there is a child under 23 in full time education.

There is no general obligation on parents to maintain a child even if in full time education and a child cannot sue a parent for maintenance. Spouses can sue each other for maintenance on their own behalf or an behalf of a dependant child generally defined as a child under 18 or under 23 if in full time education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

OP, even if there was a legal remedy it doesn't mean it's worth your while.

The better thing to do would be to compromise and do what it'll take for you to stay.

Or yknow, move out.

Advertisement