Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News: March 2011 is the last intake

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Is your pal in the know?

Are the Dear Johns for everyone or just the wait till March letters?

With out knowing for sure i'd say his pal is in the know and the letters are probably for everyone as i saw on here that outstanding vetting has ceased, which sucks for all you lucky people who have got vetting forms, hopefully the letters if we get them will explain what is happening in the future re: the process, numbers for intake and if the pool from this campaign is still eligible though i've herad rumours that we wont as this campaign started under 50/50 and 50/50 has been discontinued.

But lets hope were all wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

weepete wrote: »
    With out knowing for sure i'd say his pal is in the know and the letters are probably for everyone as i saw on here that outstanding vetting has ceased, which sucks for all you lucky people who have got vetting forms, hopefully the letters if we get them will explain what is happening in the future re: the process, numbers for intake and if the pool from this campaign is still eligible though i've herad rumours that we wont as this campaign started under 50/50 and 50/50 has been discontinued.

But lets hope were all wrong!

My vetting & medical are all passed. As you say, lets hope any letters explain whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

He is in the know, but I meant to say there might be a pool kept as the politicians are fighting the 5050 malarkey.

One thing he did say was that there is quite a few drop outs in new recruits and he sees info on this on a weekly basis. He said to me its a disgrace these individuals join up, waste money and then quit after passing out.

Do you want to know the main reasons for quitting.......shift work, weekend work....and wait for it......carrying a weapon off duty.....muppets.

I for one am bloody raging as probably everyone else is and am going to get full tonight...

On a selfish note I hope they keep a pool of sorts, as I'm in the top 300 with everything passed :mad: so close but yet blah blah.

Its hard to believe there are so many drop outs. Particularly for the reasons stated above. The system need to be adapted to weed out time wasters at an earlier stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

sharan wrote: »
    He is in the know, but I meant to say there might be a pool kept as the politicians are fighting the 5050 malarkey.

One thing he did say was that there is quite a few drop outs in new recruits and he sees info on this on a weekly basis. He said to me its a disgrace these individuals join up, waste money and then quit after passing out.

Do you want to know the main reasons for quitting.......shift work, weekend work....and wait for it......carrying a weapon off duty.....muppets.

I for one am bloody raging as probably everyone else is and am going to get full tonight...

Happy to do all of the above with no concerns - everything passed, placed top 250- just give me a call - be interesting to see the content of these letters - I too hope that there is one or maybe two intakes held back maybe get a chance to prove it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Can't see carrying a PPW off duty to be a reason as it is personal choice to carry one or not. No one will force you to take it home.

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    Can't see carrying a PPW off duty to be a reason as it is personal choice to carry one or not. No one will force you to take it home.

I think the objection was to carrying it on duty not every1 realises that every member of the psni has a gun on duty from a probationer officer to the cheif constable, (i presumme he does anyway) but pretty sure he'd have a ppw or two stashed about the house.

Well it came from the horses mouth regarding carrying a weapon, Diet coke I dont post replies for the sake of it

Well it came from the horses mouth regarding carrying a weapon, Diet coke I dont post replies for the sake of it

Apologies sharan some how my brian forgot to read the off duty bit in your earlier post but i heard of people leaving garnerville because they didnt know they had to be weapons trained and carry one, but i agree muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Apologies sharan some how my brian forgot to read the off duty bit in your earlier post but i heard of people leaving garnerville because they didnt know they had to be weapons trained and carry one, but i agree muppets.

i know a female personally who dropped out for no reason other than firearms training believe me i wanted to have a crate of stella if u catch my meaning lol
    but seriously money and time wasted because someone didnt read the job description absolute joke!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I hear you. The financial cost is huge but the moral cost is big too. IMHO people have plenty of time to research what it is they're getting in to before they get offered the job. Because of her and people like her, people like you aren't in Garnerville.

all they had to do was read this forum it tell you all you need to know. I am hungover as a hungover person could be today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

In fairness to Deloitte it is a requirement for candidates when they fill in their application to also sign a tickbox checklist that clearly states Police must work shifts , (weekends included ), wear uniform , carry a firearm , work with dogs , etc.
    Alas , these imbeciles appear to sign this without reading.

Well Guys and Girls thats it, spoke to a pal and he said expect Dear Johns in the next week.

Thank you and good night

I wonder what news this week will bring. I wonder Saturday's sad events will have any bearing on any decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

I wonder what news this week will bring. I wonder Saturday's sad events will have any bearing on any decisions.
    I know you don't mean that in a bad way, but it's not really appropriate to put or consider any link between the two. We are all aware of the shortfall that exists at the moment but that is a result of "those on high", not the boots on the ground. For me, not considering recruitment for time being, my thoughts are still with the poor souls who are face an empty bed tonight where a loved one should be lying, and the collegues who will carry on tomorrow to serve us.

- tv

With the murder of constable kerr, the large device left in L'derry, countless hoaxs and the lose of FTR etc in the past 7 days. - it might show the powers that be, that there is still a need for more feet on the street and detectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

This is deterring RC's honestly :S

Disgrace.

1986j wrote: »
    This is deterring RC's honestly :S

Disgrace.

Are You speaking from your experience in garnerville i'm sure its a somber place at the minute? Its gonna make answering that call even harder for some people now than it was before i would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Are You speaking from your experience in garnerville i'm sure its a somber place at the minute? Its gonna make answering that call even harder for some people now than it was before i would say.

Personally if i got the call, i wouldn't hesitate to accept the offer, infact the tragic events of saturday have made my will to join stronger and continued attrocities such as Constable Kerrs murder will only encourage support for the police and the peace process from both sides of the community.

For every wall the dissidents try to build the people of Northern Ireland will just stand taller.

I for one won't lie down and be oppressed and i would implore others to do the same.

dixie33 wrote: »
    Personally if i got the call, i wouldn't hesitate to accept the offer, infact the tragic events of saturday have made my will to join stronger and continued attrocities such as Constable Kerrs murder will only encourage support for the police and the peace process from both sides of the community.

For every wall the dissidents try to build the people of Northern Ireland will just stand taller.

I for one won't lie down and be oppressed and i would implore others to do the same.

Have to say I agree with you - bring on the call (I live in hope)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Apparently it was on the radio that there will only be 60 appointments per yer for the next 8 years. I'd say without any more major reform this will be the norm forever basically. I'm sad I didn't get in when there were large intakes but this will not deter me. I will try again and again until I am too old. The bar will be high, I will need to get 69 out of 70 to even get a sniff at a chance. But as I have said, as long as the door is open, even only slighlty ajar, it's better than a closed door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I believe that was a politicians opinion and not from any PSNI source. This is however the current trend in Scottish recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

that would be a low number, natural loss would be greater than that through retirements etc..... i would imagine a greater number...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

SJAG wrote: »
    that would be a low number, natural loss would be greater than that through retirements etc..... i would imagine a greater number...

+ 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

SJAG wrote: »

I like the sound of that. The more the merrier. From what I understand Central Scotland Police are planning recruitment in May and they had already recruited in January, if they go ahead with it and the same numbers taken on that would be 70 officers in the first six months and I'm sure CSP is a lot smaller than PSNI. So if 100+ replacements are required annually I will be over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

has anybody recieved the dreaded dear john yet? or otherwise? just fishing for any sort of info at all at this stage??

It doesn't appear that anyone has heard anything yet.

No news is good news IMO.

I think there are a lot of decisions to be made.

It doesn't appear that anyone has heard anything yet.

No news is good news IMO.

I think there are a lot of decisions to be made.

Have to agree with you on that - I continue to remain positive on this front - Just waiting on the call

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

austenc wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone had any information about where to find a tutor for the assessment centre?

Cheers!
    I don't think I'd start looking for AC tutors just yet. There's a freeze on recruitment, and the format of recruitment could change when it starts up again. Besides, why look for one now? Why not wait until there's at least a date for a competition? Then at least whatever you learn will be fresh in your head, if it's relevant that is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement