Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odeon Point Village & iSense

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you guys help me out here.

I've read mixed reviews about isense in The Point Village. I've also read about the restricted view because of the bottom of the screen being obstructed. If you were to go to see TDKR in isense in The Point Village where are the best seats?

I went to see TDKR in iSense and had a great time, no complaints with the seating (I did pay for premium though, I wouldn't normally but figured TDKR would be an experience that I didn't want to mess up). The visual and sound quality were top notch, no complaints there either. I can see why people have problems with the seating though, I booked seats for my mates but they ended up having to angle their heads to see the screen. Not a dealbreaker but can be quite annoying when you're paying that kind of money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cheapskate question here...can i bring my own drink into the Odeon? Just wondering as i'm going tonight for the 1st time, and i've always brought a bottle of coke with me to Cineworld, and no one ever says anything. Don't fancy paying 3-5 euro for a drink.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If they see you with it they'd likely take it off you...Consider putting it under your jacket (and holding said jacket) or bringing a bag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If a cinema usher told me I couldn't bring my own bottle of water or whatever into the cinema with me I'd tell them to go stuff themselves and demand a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I brought a bottle of water in and they didn't say anything of course I also bought a ticket and a medium popcorn for 18euro :rolleyes: Why do I go back? why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It wasn't a mistake, they purposely did it to fit in more seats. It's annoying and is actually a deal-breaker. I had to manouvre my head to read subtitles :mad: (and missed out on some as well) It's hard to justify choosing that over, say, Savoy 1 when the price is cheaper (Savoy : €8.60 peak adult, Odeon : €10:50) and more central, same size or bigger screen. The sound system is v impressive in the Odeon but ya gotta contend with less seats & someone's head in your way.

Anyway give it a go to check out a new cinema but it's a bit of a hard sell.

There is a floor to ceiling height of about 18-20 feet at the back row. If they had increased each row by about 2-3 inches each they could have made it work. To me it is definitely an architectural mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Just wondering guys where the best screen to go and see batman is? Blanch, Liffey valley, cine world or point. My and the wife are getting away from the two babies for an afternoon so we want the experience to be memorable...
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I would say Savoy number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Could someone clarify the 25% Odeon discount for me? Do you only get the 25% discount if you book on the day, i.e. Booking on a Tuesday for a show later that night? - Or is it applied when booking on any day for any show on any given Tuesday in the future? The former would make sense on Odeon's part as a way of shifting tickets on the day (that aren't going to sell anyway), but with poor seats being the trade-off. I was looking to book Batman for next Tuesday, but can't find anything about the 25% discount since seeing it yesterday, so I'm led to believe that this is the case; There's only the 15% premiere club discount.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just wondering guys where the best screen to go and see batman is? Blanch, Liffey valley, cine world or point. My and the wife are getting away from the two babies for an afternoon so we want the experience to be memorable...
    Thanks

I've seen it in a few cinemas now.

For screen (and general cinema experience), the Savoy. When I saw TDKR in Screen 17 in Cineworld some scumbag knacker shouted the ending out at the start. For sound, the Odeon (isense), it's unreal!

• Advertisement

The problem with most cinemas is they show the same few films.

The Dark Knight Rises is everywhere. I have seen it twice once in a tiny screen in Coolock and once in the iSense, I have a better appreciation of the iSense. I am think of going to see it in the Savoy :o

Ted previews were out last night so Cineworld choose to kick out Killer Joe, how is that choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

It's still playing in The Screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

In the cinema with the worst sound in Dublin unfortunately.

e_e wrote: »
    In the cinema with the worst sound in Dublin unfortunately.

Might check to see if it is in the lighthouse. No, not sure if they picked it up. Any other cinemas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just have been to see The Expendables 2 in iSense in Point Village.

I have to say the picture quality was nothing short of awful! Some of the scenes were as bad as a compressed internet download at times. I'm assuming it is whatever quality the movie is supplied in or the transfer to this digital format used as when I saw TDKR a few weeks ago the picture was perfect.

One thing I noticed from TDKR was the sound, while quite impressive the background music etc was far too high in comparison to the dialogue. At times you couldn't hear what the characters were saying over the music (not just Bane, all the characters!). I have seen TDKR since in the BFI IMAX in London and the sound was much clearer from a dialogue point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Is the cinema (Odeon Cinema) at the point IMAX ?

(proper IMAX)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

By proper IMAX I assume you mean 70mm IMAX. No, that's never going to happen here. It's pretty much a dead format. The cinema in the Point is iSense, which is basically Odeon's version of Digital (non-70mm) IMAX.

Cineworld should have a Digital IMAX screen by the end of the year.

By proper IMAX I assume you mean 70mm IMAX. No, that's never going to happen here. It's pretty much a dead format. The cinema in the Point is iSense, which is basically Odeon's version of Digital (non-70mm) IMAX.

Cineworld should have a Digital IMAX screen by the end of the year.

Well I was just watching CNBC and they had someone on talking about IMAX with the new bond film being released. The guy said they had 5 new IMAX cinemas opening in Europe this year (4 in the Netherlands and 1 in Austria). He said there was around 140 odd IMAX cinemas worldwide... from what I can remember

Anyway I don't know what what constitutes the IMAX here in Ireland but he said IMAX was something like 25% taller than a regular cinema. Is it even close to IMAX ?
    http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/ ......the fact that IMAX does not even let consumers know the difference is a travesty. They are completely different technologies, entirely different experiences, but they are marketed as the same thing — IMAX.

Its LIEMAX ?

He was almost certainly talking about Digital IMAX which is the future as far IMAX is concerned. Old 70mm IMAX screens are HUGE. At least 3 times as tall as a regular size screen. I don't know how many Digital IMAX screens there are worldwide, but it's definitely more than a 140. There is far fewer 70mm IMAX screens and nearly all of them are in the US. These screens aren't really suitable for digital projection and widescreen aspect ratios - they are too big and the format too expensive. Which is why (outside of Nolan's Batman films) 70mm IMAX was traditionally only used for nature documentaries and the like.

Very interesting. Cinema et al in the U.S has always been pretty serious and that's why they got their massive screens I guess. I'm pretty sure he did say 140 screens, maybe that's an expecting new crop.

Anyway I hope they made a half decent effort with the digital version since 70mm won't be in too many places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 maulikdesai1

Anyone seen hobbit in I sense yet? Want to see if Isense is better or the new IMAX at cineworld to see this movie in 48fps

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

Just two quick questions. What road do you access the underground carpark from?
    Are premium seating worth the extra few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

You turn off the East Wall Road onto Sheriff Street, and the entrance is just a little bit down from the junction.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Advertisement