Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pan Am [ABC - SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've only watched the pilot so far and I'm intrigued. It was ok and had some shoddy CGI, but overall I liked the acting and I'm interested by the spy aspect of it too.
    Seems we have some potential for interesting backstories and flashbacks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Brilliant episode!!...wow that was good!, i said last week Pan Am was all style over substance, fluff soapy stuff?....well this week it turned into some excellent character development, some history lessons, the aftermath of the German occupation of France for our flight attendent Colette.

It was really good, very meaty, the whole spy story really kicked into gear this ep. as one courrier trys to save another. Seeing Colette brek down as she sang the German national anthem and knowing how Germany had destroyed her family gave alot of gravitas to this ep.

It was all round better, from acting to script, the production values were something else!....hundreads of extras, vintage cars galore...CGI fest!, it looked amazing, but again it was the deep character development that truely set this ep. alight.

I'm thrilled to see this direction, to see it's not just a sexy period soap...it so easily could. If the show kept this level of quality going it could end up being a must see!

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/pan-am-s1-ep3-berlin-kennedy/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its was still done in a soapy style

:( Pan Am sliped another 27% to a 1.9 demo, considering the huge cost of the show....it may not make it past 13 eps. :(

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/10/tv-ratings-sunday-pan-am-keeps-diving-desperate-housewives-ties-series-low-as-of-course-football-wins/106620/

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is starting next Monday on RTE 2 at 9pm (very soon debut for RTE and given a primetime slot also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Girlfriend was watching this last night while I was working in the background..

.. Christina Ricci is bloody awful in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭squonk

After episode 3 I agree that the plot development was great but a couple of things irked me that seem to mark it out as becoming a bit soapy. Firstly there was very little 707 CGI used. We only saw the passengers and crew getting on a plane and then getting off. There was what might be their equivalent of a stock shot of the plane in flight at one stage but that was it. It wasn't a million miles away from the Plane episode of Fr. Ted where it's obviously a set and they use stock footage, but very obviously so, and you don't mind that because Fr. Ted didn't have a massive budget. Also, during Kennedy's speech it would have improved things so much to actually see the guy up close, at least once. Surely getting a Kennedy lookalike can't be that hard! It all struck me as being a bit cheap.

Really, you can't start with fantastic CGI of a 707 only two episodes ago, tone it down a bit for the next episode and have virtually none from there on in. I can see myself getting bored very quickly if this is the way they are going. What's next? We get a plane crash episode with a camera close up of Christina Ricci putting her hands up to her mouth in horror, followed by a fade to black and then some people sorting through wreckage in the next scene. It's not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Another lovely episode,

Lovely as in, no great gripping storyline but just plodding along nicely and again really well paced

I agree there wasnt enough CGI but there will be a crash or some air emergency at some stage and they def will be using a lot more CGI for those action packed episodes

Worth a look at considering theres slim pickins out there at the moment

Casting news, FNL alum Smash to guest star on PA: http://www.tvline.com/2011/10/pan-am-gaius-charles/

As noted he's been very low profile so nice to see him again, hopefully a well written racism plot.

It's being widely predicted/speculated that Pan Am is next for the chop..... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Not that surprising it has gone downhill since the pilot. The most interesting thing about it was Collette.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's being widely predicted/speculated that Pan Am is next for the chop..... :(

:mad:

Ep. 4 is out....which may just end up being the final ever ep. we'll see!!, if the blurb is to be belived, if the ratings don't improve with this ep. it will be axed very shortly.....sad panda!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I liked the latest episode. It was interesting to see them casually flitting around the Orient, which would still be pretty exotic today.

Thought it was a b1tchy move for Laura to move out on Kate without telling her, presumably sticking her with a higher rent, etc.

The landing into Hong Kong was a close call and if I'm remembering my history correctly, Pan Am are due a bad crash on domestic soil soon. So, we'll see!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I liked the latest episode. It was interesting to see them casually flitting around the Orient, which would still be pretty exotic today.

Thought it was a b1tchy move for Laura to move out on Kate without telling her, presumably sticking her with a higher rent, etc.

The landing into Hong Kong was a close call and if I'm remembering my history correctly, Pan Am are due a bad crash on domestic soil soon. So, we'll see!

You watched that ep. pretty quickly Fouxy! ;) - yer a fan then i take it?
    I thought ep. 4 was OK, no way as good as last week....but we did get some character development for Ted, him being a naval test pilot, crashing his plane, wanting to be an Astronaut etc.

Lots of sibling rivalry between Kate and Laurs...agree Laura moving out was a petty move! :mad: , again...not even a note :rolleyes:
    You think Laura and Ted will get it on at some stage?...they seem kinda drawn to each other, or will they do the usual move of him cheating on her and being a douche?

Can't stand Maggie! :mad: - don't like her attitude and i loathe Rici!, hate her as an actress, she's weird looking! :eek: like a troll or something.
    At least in this ep. they explained why the youngest pilot in history got his wings, everyone on forums/reviews have noted how there would be NO WAY you'd have a pilot that young, but they did go some way to explaining that.

Alot more CGI in this ep. pretty high quality as welll...the Hong Kong approach was hairy stuff!

Overall it was OK, not a patch on last week....but, will this ep. help the ratings and avoid the axe? :eek: - i think not! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

I love this show, I really hope it doesn't get cancelled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Not a great episode this week, nothing really happened. Showed some depth to Ted's character but that was about it.

Not sure if it will last much longer, maybe get another few episodes before being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked ep 4 overall. It wasn't particularly exciting but not too bad all the same. I thought the CGI on the approach to Tokyo was a bit dodgy looking but overall it was OK and I was fairly happy.

Seeing as this is likely to get canned as some posters say, it makes you wonder about the wisdom of RTE using licence fees to snap up something like this so early on before it's fate is known. I could see the point if there was a Season 2 but I'm not sure it'd have mattered all that much if they started after Christmas by which time they might not show it anyway as it might not even make 8 episodes the way things are sounding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Watched this, the production is good and must be very expensive.
    The premise of the show is not very good imho.

I think a ryanair television soap/show would be far more interesting, with low paid hostesses having paid their own training and uniforms, calenders, visits to 20 countries with airports in the middle of nowhere, Brian Dowling working for MI6, picking people out to weigh their luggage, passengers paying less than a bus fare :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Watched this, the production is good and must be very expensive.
    The premise of the show is not very good imho.

I think a ryanair television soap/show would be far more interesting, with low paid hostesses having paid their own training and uniforms, calenders, visits to 20 countries with airports in the middle of nowhere, Brian Dowling working for MI6, picking people out to weigh their luggage, passengers paying less than a bus fare :)

Is there not one of thiae already about easyjet :confused:
    Airline or something :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've actually been enjoying this. Sure, it's light as candy floss but the sugary pink stuff is nice sometimes!

squonk wrote: »
    Seeing as this is likely to get canned as some posters say, it makes you wonder about the wisdom of RTE using licence fees to snap up something like this so early on before it's fate is known.
    I was really surprised to see the ads for it on RTE too. Even though I like the show (obviously) I think it was really poor judgement for them to buy it yet when it may be cancelled or not get another series. To think shows like "Breaking Bad" have never been broadcast on Irish television but yet somehow this gets snapped up a few episodes in is so strange to me.

Looking forward to the next episode. I feel this one could be key. If they don't ramp up the action/tension a bit it could be dead in the water for being too slow-moving.

Just watched the latest episode and it was...fine. Didn't really progress much. Laura is slowly becoming someone who shouldn't be allowed out by herself, which is really irritating to watch. She needs to shake loose the mindset that she needs people constantly leading her by the hand and showing her what to do.

Liked Kate in this episode, although no good can come of this new guy. Also, the CIA aren't paying her? Wtf? Patriotism can only go so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

amdublin wrote: »
    Is there not one of thiae already about easyjet :confused:
    Airline or something :confused:

That's a documentary but SKY had Mile High a few years ago ...

stereotype of the week

Im Irish, yes okay we know we get it.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Just watched the latest episode and it was...fine. Didn't really progress much. Laura is slowly becoming someone who shouldn't be allowed out by herself, which is really irritating to watch. She needs to shake loose the mindset that she needs people constantly leading her by the hand and showing her what to do.

Liked Kate in this episode, although no good can come of this new guy. Also, the CIA aren't paying her? Wtf? Patriotism can only go so far.

I liked this ep. alot better then last week, twas kinda fun and funny... :)
    Ted cracks me up with his one liners :p , while he did it arse about face he did a very nice thing for Laura (buying the ring), he really likes her...i'm shipping these two!, they have good banter and i think they'd make a good couple of she chilled a bit.

Erin Cummings was teriffic as Jenny!, she acted her part well and really looked like a 60's godess. Kate....well played!, her spying skillz are improving....nice thing with the red wine ;)

It was a very "shippy" episode but each pairing was good fun tv, it scored another 1.8 last night, if it keeps like this i'm sure we'll at least see all 13 eps., dunno about a back 9 order though :o

stereotype of the week

Im Irish, yes okay we know we get it.

Legit accent though, no "oirish" crap....i thought yer man was good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Richard your back, how was the holiday:pac:

Richard your back, how was the holiday:pac:

Brutal....i served HARD time! :(

• Advertisement

Legit accent though, no "oirish" crap....i thought yer man was good.

not just him but the whole thing is stereotype after stereotype for every country and person they meet.

Advertisement