Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Well off the bat I see a huge problem. The actress that plays Jen is awful compared to the talents of Katherine Parkinson.

• Yeah, she has somewhat poor comedic timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Well off the bat I see a huge problem. The actress that plays Jen is awful compared to the talents of Katherine Parkinson.

Jesus you're not wrong there. She's very poor. She's not able to play it with restraint the way Katherine Parkinson is. And as much as I love Joel McHale, I'm not sure that role would have suited him.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Endings writers David Guarascio and Moses Port to join Community as showrunners and exec producers

It is a shame to lose Harmon I thought Chevy would be the one to go tbh.

I quite liked Aliens in America and Happy Endings is my new guilty pleasure it really came into it's own for season 2 so I have some faith in these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Happy Endings at times does touch the same style of humour as Community.

I remember really enjoying their zombie survival plan episode and the season 2 halloween episode was also enjoyable.

But it falls back to sitcom standards far too often for my liking specifically they pretty much finish up most plot threads with smiling and hugging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    But it falls back to sitcom standards far too often for my liking specifically they pretty much finish up most plot threads with smiling and hugging.
    Doesn't bother me as long as the writing is strong..

Community is practically the anti-sitcom though.. which is why it's worrying for anyone to replace Dan Harmon - NBC will probably try to make it more mainstream... not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

To everyone saying that Season 2 of Happy Endings is awesome: The guys who are coming to to run Community left after season 1.

Although all this has made me want to watch Happy Endings, so at least I get a new show out of all this chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

happy endings seems like a watered down always sunny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

it'll never get syndicated now, not enough eps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

it'll never get syndicated now, not enough eps.

Go Away - you're like a stray cat

• Just report it. And then it's up to the mods to see if he's breaking the following:

Boards number one ethos and rule is here for all too see. Especially:
    Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

This is unfortunately being lost over time as boards grows, imo of course. Not especially on this forum may I add.

Back on thread...

Good (depressing, but good) article here:
    http://www.newsinfilm.com/2012/05/21/dan-harmon-expelled-from-nbcs-community/
    NBC would prefer a miraculous reversal in the ratings, of course, and the half-hour remains a reliable way for niche advertisers to reach a pinpoint audience. But an abrupt about-face can only come with noticeable creative adjustments, likely starting with the abandonment of its meta multiverses. Obviously, we won’t know Port and Guarascio’s creative direction until September, but fans would be kidding themselves if they expected more of the same. Its new time slot, on Friday nights, seems like the death sentence it was intended to be. If the series struggled to reach a favorable demo rating in Thursday’s marquee comedy block, there is little chance it will gain strength on a Friday after a repellent episode of “Whitney.” There is also the possibility the series is “damaged goods” now, having alienated viewers who didn’t adore its antics over the years and now potentially souring the loyal base. Again, we won’t know until September.

I just don't get this, whose decision was it to screw around with it? Isn't it Sony who'll have the syndication rights or something? NBC being dicks to them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So they want to increase audiences and they put it in a worse time slot (and take away everything that's good about the show)?

I think this may be the first time I've ever used this...

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a bizarre decision allright; they want rid of the niche humour, try and fashion it to appeal to a wider audience, but then stick it in a slot traditionally seen as a death-kneel to shows.

I'm trying to look at it this way: even if season 4 confirms all our fears, it will never be able to touch seasons 1 to 3. And besides, if push comes to shove, a poor season 4 can simply be written off as another / wrong timeline :D

• Look at The IT Crowd for a good example of a great 3 season show...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Have the new show runners said anything at all about their new job? Any sign they even watch the show and like it? Because if they're not familiar with it, and its meta stylings (and genius!) then they're even more likely to Britta it.

Is it also possible / plausible that the reason Dan Harmon was fired is just ultimately a clash of egos and that if he had been a little quieter in his thoughts that he'd have been kept on, regardless of the show's relatively low ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Or it just all comes down to the bottom line.

Not having to renegotiate a new contract for Harmon and hiring cheaper show runner/writing staff will cut costs.

Move the show to the graveyard slot on Friday then stumble towards Syndication with a 14 episode run.

Then goodbye new episodes of Community.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Dear Netflix,

So now that you've saved Arrested Development, I wonder if you could do me another favour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The closing scene of the pilot and the closing scene of season 3:

tumblr_m4gz3nqjwC1qjwz5yo1_500.gif

My response:

thanks reddit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

jamc wrote: »
    Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/leaked-memo-dan-harmon-community-studio-talking-points-nbc-328815

Team Community:

With last night's news of David Guarascio and Moses Port as new showrunners/EPs on "Community" running in the press, and since we know that cast members have interviews coming up this week, I wanted to forward some messaging we hope our cast will find helpful as they navigate questions that will undoubtedly come up. I know that David and Moses are reaching out to them all directly but I've also heard from some of the actors that they'd like some guidance on the topic.

I saw some of the tweets that went out and were glad they all addressed their own sentiments quickly, and we're hoping that the news will lose some steam over the next day, especially if we're not perpetuating the topic in any way

We're tracking the coverage and conversation and will circle back if we feel the need to reshift our plan or messaging. Please let me know if you have questions.

Why did Dan get let go from the show?

We're not made aware of why staffing changes take place but I will always be grateful to Dan for his great work on the show and wish him only the best. We're also excited that we'll be back on NBC's schedule in the fall and are looking forward to working on those episodes.

Were you aware that Dan was going to be let go?

No, that's not something we're consulted on. I'm sad to see him go but I am looking forward to starting our next 13 episodes of "Community."

Did the studio or network consult with you about these changes?

No they didn't but we're looking forward to working with David Guarascio & Moses Port on a new season of Community.

What are their plans for the new season?

It's a little early to say at this point but we're looking forward the stories our characters will find themselves in come Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The NBC exec's clearly told them say nothing and just reinforce your excitement to work on the show..
    Why did Dan get let go from the show?

We're not made aware of why staffing changes take place but I will always be grateful to Dan for his great work on the show and wish him only the best. We're also excited that we'll be back on NBC's schedule in the fall and are looking forward to working on those episodes.

Were you aware that Dan was going to be let go?

No, that's not something we're consulted on. I'm sad to see him go but I am looking forward to starting our next 13 episodes of "Community."

Did the studio or network consult with you about these changes?

No they didn't but we're looking forward to working with David Guarascio & Moses Port on a new season of Community.

What are their plans for the new season?

It's a little early to say at this point but we're looking forward the stories our characters will find themselves in come Sept.
    So it's safe to say they're looking forward to working on it..

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Basq wrote: »
    The NBC exec's clearly told them say nothing and just reinforce your excitement to work on the show..
    I am looking forward to watching the next season of "Community", coming this Fall, only on NBC

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Basq wrote: »

That's exactly what that memo is. It's a list of "here is how we would like you to respond to questions about Dan" along with specific examples.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/take-vultures-community-season-three-final-exam.html

Megan Ganz (one of the key writers on "Community") just tweeted that she will be back for the upcoming season. Good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/take-vultures-community-season-three-final-exam.html

Megan Ganz (one of the key writers on "Community") just tweeted that she will be back for the upcoming season. Good news!

That's good, she wrote both the documentary film-making episodes, the bottle episode and the law and order episode, which were all excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Great to hear that Megan Ganz is staying, it gives me some hope Season 4 will be decent.

Also in another news, Alison Bire is going out with James Franco's brother from Scrubs 2.0 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

First Friday without a new episode.... not sure I'm going to make a whole summer without new episodes :eek:

Advertisement