Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco. no comeback with unsuitable DTT TV

• 18-01-2011 12:13pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I was approached by a couple yesterday who are wanting to leave Chorus and get Freesat and Irish DTT they asked me why their Sanyo Tv that they bought in Tesco Wexford in August 2009 was only giving them Radio channels when they connected an Aerial to it. After a long explaination from me they decided to go back to Tesco with the Receipt. The manager their told them that their is nothing wrong with the Tv as long as the couple stay with Chorus or join Sky and that it is only a problem with the Tv if the couple decide to get a 1 off payment system installed. The couple did explain to this manager {what I said} that retailers were told about system requirements as far back as late 2008. This manager then said that Tesco were never informed about any System requirements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The simple fact in the matter is that Tescos have never stocked a suitable product deliberately. They stock products suitable for the UK market and Ireland is an afterthought and overflow (like many UK chains operating here - currency exchange profiteering).

Unfortunately these people have learned the hard way and effectively bought a monitor. The integrated digital tuner was never going to work and never will. Tesco cannot second guess what the end user will or wont connect to it. There is something wrong with the TV when the digital tuner wont work out of the box. Case is point - Tescos Artane Castle - All TVs - maybe 7 different TVs all "Freeview" labelled with claims of 40+ stations and digital tuner - which of course you wont receive here as Freeview is UK Digital system. And the Freeview tuners wont work for Irish DTT because they are all old MPEG2 tat - Cello and other muck. NOT ONE SIGN to say not suitable for Irish Digital Terrestrial Television.

Thats why food chains shouldnt sell TVs.

I suggest they get on Tesco head office and elevate their grievance. Perhaps they may get some joy. Look for a purchasing manager and ask why they are stocking these unsuitable products.

Loud voices normally gets peoples attention as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tesco need to read the law.

They sold these without a disclaimer saying the "digital tuner is incompatible" . The "freeview is not available in Ireland" disclaimer isn't relevant.

Unless it works via aerial socket it's not a TV.

Tesco has lost cases before. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/0517/1224270540798.html

The description on the package is a contract and applies unless Tesco had printed disclaimer added saying it's a Analogue Only TV (which they can't do after Nov/Dec 2010 without selling it a Monitor and disclaimer that the TV will not be a TV by end 2012).

Sale of Goods Act 1980 applies. A TV should last more than two years. It should work as described (A TV labelled "Digital" sold in Ireland after March 2008 should work on Irish Digital or have label saying "Analogue Only"). Damages under act are for up to 6 years.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

http://www.saortv.info/2011/01/05/aso-in-less-than-two-years/

Small Claims Court
    I'm confident that for ANY tv not compatible sold after Dec 2010 you win, unless a disclaimer that it's not a TV in writing on display and each package.

That for any TV with "Digital TV" on packaging sold at least after Nov 2008 and possibly March 2008, without a disclaimer that it's "Analogue Only", you would win.

Products must be "fit for purpose" and as Described. Without a disclaimer it's reasonable that any TV retailed in Ireland with "Digital TV" in description should work in Ireland.

After all in era of start of 625lines they could not sell German (PAL B/G) or French (Secam) 625 line TVs. Or USA NTSC 525 lines.

Tesco could have legitimately sold incompatible Digital TVs up till November 2010, if they had put "Analogue Only" labels over all mention of Digital and Freeview. Tesco only added the "no Freeview" notices in 2010, and those are the WRONG disclaimer and are not on the packaging anyway.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

This couple was told by the Manager in Tescos Wexford that the Tv does and has been receiveing Digital {from chorus} and it can and will receive digital through SKY and that their is no way that a Tv bought in August 2009 will be exchanged or refunded because these people now {Jan 2011} want to change from Chorus to a 1 off payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It took them four months to ask?

Aldi has been refunding 2009 sales.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »

What do you mean ??. And It took who four months to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jdivision wrote: »

Purchased Aug 2009 not 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

The tv still works if it receives analogue which will be running till the end of 2012.Up till October last year there was no official service to receive so however you expect tesco to refund a tv bought in 2009 must be having a laugh, just because aldi do it does not mean there right to.

Whats the 1 off payment system they are required to install if they have an aerial? A walker/dtt box is hardly rocket science to install aerial in and scart or hdmi out to tv.

If they sold it with a sticker saying Analogue Only, you are correct.
    If they ONLY said "no freeview here" Then you are wrong, if the packaging says Digital. The Sale of Goods Act says that forms part of contract unless clearly negated.

If the TV has NO digital feature, then Tesco are in the clear.

donegal11 wrote: »

Whats the 1 off payment system they are required to install if they have an aerial? A walker/dtt box is hardly rocket science to install aerial in and scart or hdmi out to tv.

The 1 off payment that this couple are wanting to leave {crappy mmds}Chorus for is a Humax pvr Freesat system with a Wideband aerial {for Irish DTT} to replace there ancient combined Vhf/Uhf aerial which is rotting away on the chimney. Along with getting away from another Monthly bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

watty wrote: »

Tesco has lost cases before. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2010/0517/1224270540798.html

The tv will work with an aerial it'll get analogue for nearly 3 and a half years

I read the link It had nothing to do with digital tv, it was pointless unless there is some underlying point I don't get?? did you not read it or think no one would.

I also read the sale of goods act and seen nothing to do with "digital tv" "6 years" thou i could of missed it.

And it's not illegal to sell a non dtt tv. if we go back to 2008 as you say and an electrical shop had to stock soarview compatible tvs their storefront would be bear.

People should educate themselves when buying a tv, freeview is only available in the uk and people should know by common sense in the same way they don't expect to get french TNT here.In saying that if my parents who wouldn't know any better bought a non dtt mpeg 4 compliant tv today off course I would tell them to demand a refund, but if they bought it two years ago I could hardly justify the same course of action? and i highly doubt the small claims court would listen to me.
    The 1 off payment that this couple are wanting to leave {crappy mmds}Chorus for is a Humax pvr Freesat system with a Wideband aerial {for Irish DTT}l

Sorry I misread and thought you meant the one payment system was a dtt box which didn't sound right, reading over it again to makes more sense. MMDS is pointless when compared to free to air satellite or on a pay basis to sky, they should of moved long ago.

The manager when answering the couple shouldn't of really mentioned sky or chorus, implying that you needed to pay to use the tv when they can currently receive analogue and he should of told them if they really wanted digital to buy a set top box and sent them out the door.

Analogue now for LESS than 2 years.

Nothing wrong with selling an Analogue only set up till now, but we are talking about sets labelled digital.

Selling Analogue that has incompatible Digital going forward isn't illegal as long as you explain clearly with labelling that it will not work as a TV after 2012.

It's NOTHING to to do with Digital TVs per se. The "Sale of Goods Act" partially is to do with correctly describing goods.

TVs described as "Digital" when they are not and TVs sold that will stop receiving TV signals in less that two years, without clear labelling means that people CAN look for Refund, Repair or Replacement under the Act.

It's very SIMPLE.
    In the past and going forward, ANY TV with "digital" in the labelling on package or display ought to have a disclaimer label saying Analogue only, Incompatible with Irish Digital. There would have been no difficulty for Distributors to label Sets appropriately since Q2 2008 at latest. They DID NOT HAVE to supply Compatible Digital. The Government warned them. If you are charitable the Distributors where lazy not slapping a disclaimer label on every TV that mentioned Digital TV and was incompatible.

All shops should now have labelling warning customers that TVs without compatible Digital (they don't have to be Saorview Certified) will not operate as TVs after 2012, that's less than two years. After then, they will only work as Monitors via SCART or HDMI.

This is really so simple. The Act doesn't need to Mention Analogue Switch off or Digital TVs. Things must be as they are Described.

At this stage it's baffling why they are not labelling correctly. One can only assume they hope to shift incompatible stock without people realising. Because there are plenty of compatible TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

some of you seem to be opening a can of worms that people who bought CRT tvs in the last few years (yes, they were still on sale) that they'll be entitled to free upgrades to digital LCDs?

don't forget the sale of goods act covers all second hand sales, so joe who bought that tv last week for 200 out of the buy and sell would be covered on it as well?

the article at the start of the thread in reference to tesco having to replace a faulty tv, not one that won't work.

if the TV is not digital capable, i would suggest that at the time of purchase for the OP that this was't a requirement and was an oversight.Again, not really Tesco's problem.

still on freeview is there not a requirement for a set top box?

OP can you tell me what exact model TV you bought is?

IMO i don't really think there's a case here to return it.

how are you connecting to the once off payment freeview?

satellite / ariel?

does your remote control have a button that says epg or guide?

It's not my TV.
    I think you will have to read the thread again
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70140723&postcount=1
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70152904&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

After then, they will only work as Monitors via SCART or HDMI.
    and with RF via modulators too :)

what about DAB radios, should there be warnings with sets for sale that cannnot do "DAB+"
    If DAB continues and expands in Ireland, DAB+ capability will be required to receive many independent radio stations digitally here (unless DAB get dumped for a completely different system, which could also happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Lads i recently had issue with a Samsung Digital TV bought in Tescos around May/June 2009 and got refended.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056111669

Yes. In fact it is mad that they did ordinary DAB at all.

But rollout stalled due to finance.

It's arguable that they should not have started DAB rollout. Maybe should have waited another 5 or 10 years. No existing independent broadcaster or ordinary public is really looking for Digital Radio.
    See if DRM+, DAB+ or something else happens. Most countries have scalled back, cancelled or otherwise doing nothing with Digital Radio. Main exceptions is USA Satellite Radio (which has lost Millions) and UK DAB. UK DAB is much less popular than figures suggest as they count each FM + DAB radio as a DAB listener, include Web, DTT and Satellite Listening.

Antenna wrote: »
    and with RF via modulators too :)

I see you put a :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I don't understand why tesco don't sell freeviewHD tv sets. This would solve all the problems.

They do

In N.I.

Which doesn't get "Freeview HD" till after 2012!

They also have a "Freesat HD" setbox.

Product Dumping? Why would anyone in UK buy the NON-"Freeview HD", "Freeview" only TVs, even if labelled "Full HD" as they will NEVER receive HD. They are SD TVs, and HD Monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Tesco are not in the wrong here. They never advertised the tv as Saorview capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Skyuser wrote: »
    Tesco are not in the wrong here. They never advertised the tv as Saorview capable.

If Tescos stock products now with "MPEG2" Digital tuners and sell them without signs to say they will not work with DTT then they are mugging the customer. They may not even be aware that they are doing it ! All these Freeview only products are not suitable for here. Same way the non techie customer might actually believe the box that says 40+ Freeview Stations on it, only to go home and plug it and get sound only from the Irish DTT radio channels.

They must stock the right products and not second guess what the customers use will be. The basic tuner should work.

MPEG2 products do not work in this country.

Simple as that "Sky" user.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

They sold these without a disclaimer saying the "digital tuner is incompatible" . The "freeview is not available in Ireland" disclaimer isn't relevant.
    Nothing in law that says they have to do that.
    The TV will work unless faulty with an aerial socket. If there is no signal to pick up then thats not the sellers problem legally. Would be akin to someone purchasing a TV then driving to a place in Ireland that cannot pick up a signal and then demanding a refund.
    Yes, when the TV was FAULTY.
    The description on the package is a contract and applies unless Tesco had printed disclaimer added saying it's a Analogue Only TV (which they can't do after Nov/Dec 2010 without selling it a Monitor and disclaimer that the TV will not be a TV by end 2012).
    I'm sure the TV did not say it works with saorview or its compitable components.
    Sale of Goods Act 1980 applies. A TV should last more than two years. It should work as described (A TV labelled "Digital" sold in Ireland after March 2008 should work on Irish Digital or have label saying "Analogue Only"). Damages under act are for up to 6 years.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/print.html

http://www.saortv.info/2011/01/05/aso-in-less-than-two-years/
    Nothing in the sale of goods act about this. No judgements made on it either. This is just speculation backed with no evidence/facts.
    Small Claims Court
    I'm confident that for ANY tv not compatible sold after Dec 2010 you win, unless a disclaimer that it's not a TV in writing on display and each package.

That for any TV with "Digital TV" on packaging sold at least after Nov 2008 and possibly March 2008, without a disclaimer that it's "Analogue Only", you would win.

Products must be "fit for purpose" and as Described. Without a disclaimer it's reasonable that any TV retailed in Ireland with "Digital TV" in description should work in Ireland.

After all in era of start of 625lines they could not sell German (PAL B/G) or French (Secam) 625 line TVs. Or USA NTSC 525 lines.
    You have no evidence of this - you speak like you have but in reality you don't - you just have speculation - you should make this clear in your posts.
    Tesco could have legitimately sold incompatible Digital TVs up till November 2010, if they had put "Analogue Only" labels over all mention of Digital and Freeview. Tesco only added the "no Freeview" notices in 2010, and those are the WRONG disclaimer and are not on the packaging anyway.
    I assume they are the correct disclaimer since freeview is technically not available in Ireland. There is no legal obligation (as opposed to moral obligation) for them to put "Analogue Only" labels on the tvs. Caveat emptor!

You might find that some big retailers may take TVs back but they are under no legal obligation to do so unless they claimed something was compatible and it was not. People should chance their arm to try and get refunds but just remember that there is no legal obligation to a refund from what I can see as it is not covered specifically by law - it is far from clear or black and white since the TVs work perfectly for what they are specified to do.

BTW I have submitted a query about this to the NCA but have not heard anything back yet as I would like to see proof that people are entitled to claim a remedy for their tvs not being saorview compatible and you do not seem to have any proof of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

One can only assume they hope to shift incompatible stock without people realising.

That's precisely what they are doing - and a lot lot of people won't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

if the TV is not digital capable, i would suggest that at the time of purchase for the OP that this was't a requirement and was an oversight.Again, not really Tesco's problem.

That point is the TV's are clearly marked as Digital capable. Tesco's problem is they are not labelling the TV's to clearly say that they are not Irish Digital capable, thus many people may assume they will work here when they won't. It Tesco's "oversight" as such, and their problem.

axer wrote: »
    N
    I assume they are the correct disclaimer since freeview is technically not available in Ireland. There is no legal obligation (as opposed to moral obligation) for them to put "Analogue Only" labels on the tvs. Caveat emptor!

Why?

Digital encompasses more than Freeview. The packaging text and logos encompasses Digital separately from freeview.
    There ARE Freeview TVs that are entirely compatible.

The Tesco disclaimer is manifestly the wrong one. It's not even entirely accurate.

Why?

Digital encompasses more than Freeview. The packaging text and logos encompasses Digital separately from freeview.
    There ARE Freeview TVs that are entirely compatible.

The Tesco disclaimer is manifestly the wrong one. It's not even entirely accurate.
    I thought the label was "no freeview" - my understanding is you cannot legally get freeview in the rep of Ireland?

Its like buying a digital music player that only plays mp3s but you only have wmas or buying a hd dvd player that plays high definition discs but doesnt play blueray. Maybe under hand to sell them but it aint illegal as long as no claims are made that are not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Skyuser wrote: »

Of course they are. They advertised the TVs as digital ready, it doesn't matter if they specified which system.

They are selling the product they are supposed to be the experts, you can't expect you average Joe to understand all of the technicalities. They trusted Tesco to sell them a TV fit for purpose. If the packaging said receives Digital TV then it should receive it in the area that it was sold!

Tesco were fully aware of the situation with Irish DTT and choose to dump products in the Irish market and choose not inform the consumers that the claims made on the signs and packaging do not apply in the location where the set were being sold.

I wouldn't see Tesco winning this battle in court, it will cost them a packet and proper order. Perhaps they'll think twice about doing this again.

HappyHarry wrote: »
    Of course they are. They advertised the TVs as digital ready, it doesn't matter if they specified which system.
    Legally they are not wrong. Morally/ethically they are.
    They are selling the product they are supposed to be the experts, you can't expect you average Joe to understand all of the technicalities. They trusted Tesco to sell them a TV fit for purpose. If the packaging said receives Digital TV then it should receive it in the area that it was sold!
    The tvs also work with analogue which works here perfectly and will work with digital with a set top box - so they are televisions.
    Tesco were fully aware of the situation with Irish DTT and choose to dump products in the Irish market and choose not inform the consumers that the claims made on the signs and packaging do not apply in the location where the set were being sold.

I wouldn't see Tesco winning this battle in court, it will cost them a packet and proper order. Perhaps they'll think twice about doing this again.
    Its not very clear nor is it black and white. There have been no judgements on this and there appears to be nothing clear in the law about it. Technically the tv works perfectly - There is nothing in the law that says that the TV should be fit for purpose for a specified length of time, the law says the item should be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose at the time of purchase which those tvs are.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    I thought the label was "no freeview" - my understanding is you cannot legally get freeview in the rep of Ireland?

Its like buying a digital music player that only plays mp3s but you only have wmas or buying a hd dvd player that plays high definition discs but doesnt play blueray. Maybe under hand to sell them but it aint illegal as long as no claims are made that are not true.

Exactly. The packaging ALSO says Digital TV. It's sold in Ireland, thus it's reasonable to assume, that the notice is saying you won't get Freeview channels. The notice doesn't say the Digital feature doesn't work.

Some of the "Freeview" TVs sold by Tesco do work here.

Do you work for Tesco? Your argument would only be valid for mail order / online sales from outside Ireland.

If it's Digital TV sold IN Ireland and won't work on Irish Digital, and has Digital TV plastered all over packaging then it needs a lable saying Incompatible with Irish Digital.
    Freeview disclaimer is irrelevant to this. You can't get French TNT here, some of those sets work. You can't get "Freeview HD" here either. But all "Freeview HD" set will do Audio, video and MHEG5. A few will not display EBU teletext on TG4 and TV3 (traditional Teletext), otherwise compatible.

No one is arguing the TVs should get Freeview here.

An HD-DVD player plays DVDs, It has no BluRay logo. It's not advertised as a BluRay Player. The "freeview" Tvs ALSO have DVB logos and Digital TV logos. Some work and some do not work. The duty of the shops was to label the ones that don't work as Incompatible Analogue Only. Pointing out you can't get Freeview is a separate issue and very worthy, but NOTHING to do with whether a TV is compatible here or not for Digital.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement