Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco to open store in Ballincollig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Goodness, the grocery market seems so saturated there already! 2 Aldis, a Lidl, 2 SuperValus and a Dunnes!

I suppose Tesco aren't too afraid of competition and would've done their market research thoroughly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

When is it opening? Or is it still in planning/building stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it will be in the newly extended shopping centre.

absolute madness imo, lots of empty units in the village already

it will be in the newly extended shopping centre.

absolute madness imo, lots of empty units in the village already

And yet, compared to Cork city itself, businesses in Ballincollig are doing fairly well.

Let them try it out, Tesco does not have problem with finances, so if their market research shows they are gonna make it there, then why not.
    :)
    Adds few new jobs to Ballincollig and if they manage to stay afloat, that means there is more money to go around in the town, which would benefit more than just Tesco.

I'd say we can say next year same time if it was a smart idea or not:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

We don't need anymore bloody supermarkets in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pow230

Does anyone know exactly where it's going to be? I read "the western end of the existing shopping center" but to me that's the Dunnes car-park.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pow230 wrote: »
    Does anyone know exactly where it's going to be? I read "the western end of the existing shopping center" but to me that's the Dunnes car-park.

In the field with all the cabins,next to the carpark I think on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bit off topic, do people consider Ballincollig as part of the city?

I was talking about this the other day in work, and we all agreed that it pretty much was. But even if you take it as a town, it would be up there as one of the biggest in Ireland. Bigger pop. than the likes of Portlaoise and thos kinda places.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

AFAIK Ballincollig is the 2nd biggest "suburb" in the country, Tallagh being the biggest. Yet, CIE will charge full county bus fare rates. City centre to Mayfield is a shorter trip and is charged at city rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 stolenlaptop

I was waiting for Tesco to set up camp in Ballincollig. I've always wondered why they hadn't. Same goes for McDonalds, Ballincollig would be an ideal spot for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

They've had planning permission up for months now!

They're going to have a giant shared car park between Tesco and the main shopping centre. It's also not going to be just a Tesco. As far as I remember from reading it, it's going to be a two story building with multiple units.. Something along the lines of Wilton I suppose.

I'll have a walk in that direction over the next few days and find out for definite.
    Same goes for McDonalds, Ballincollig would be an ideal spot for one.

Planning permission already put in place behind the newer Aldi.

kart wrote: »
    And yet, compared to Cork city itself, businesses in Ballincollig are doing fairly well.

Let them try it out, Tesco does not have problem with finances, so if their market research shows they are gonna make it there, then why not.
    :)
    Adds few new jobs to Ballincollig and if they manage to stay afloat, that means there is more money to go around in the town, which would benefit more than just Tesco.

I'd say we can say next year same time if it was a smart idea or not:P

it's not tesco I'm worried about. it's the fact that they will be putting new smaller units in there as well when there are about 20 or 30 empty small units in ballincollig already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

reic wrote: »
    AFAIK Ballincollig is the 2nd biggest "suburb" in the country, Tallagh being the biggest. Yet, CIE will charge full county bus fare rates. City centre to Mayfield is a shorter trip and is charged at city rates.

Don't worry, the days of Bus Eireann charging full county to Ballincollig are numbered. Rumour has it, a new route that will go all the way to the sea side.
    I would imagine though that the rumour that Tesco are opening in Ballincollig is true, the only people this will affect is their main competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I still don't get why we have 2 Aldis (Aldii?) tbh

kub wrote: »
    Don't worry, the days of Bus Eireann charging full county to Ballincollig are numbered. Rumour has it, a new route that will go all the way to the sea side.

tell me more!

EDIT: found the info. exciting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I'd imagine it would be good news for the local economy. I'm from out Macroom direction and while we have a Dunnes and a Lidl or Aldi (can't think which), anytime I'm near the city I'll do my groceries in Tesco in Wilton. So you'll have a Tesco pretty closeby to people living in the country west of B'collig.

tell me more!

EDIT: found the info. exciting stuff!

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

As long as the council don't make um put in more bloody traffic lights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres too many supermarkets around the town already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Namlub wrote: »
    I still don't get why we have 2 Aldis (Aldii?) tbh

cos they are both making a profit, and the old one delayed lidls entry to ballincollig while they sourced a premises

it's not tesco I'm worried about. it's the fact that they will be putting new smaller units in there as well when there are about 20 or 30 empty small units in ballincollig already!

Oh yes, that part..yup that is worrysome indeed. I see where ur coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Up until the Dunmanway Aldi opened, most of my relatives in West Cork would have gone to the two in Ballincollig,
    so maybe part of the idea of Tesco in Ballincollig is to serve people traveling up

Although Bandon or Dunmanway might have made more sense if that's the idea,
    especially since the talk of putting a Tesco in Bantry seems to be in limbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd be afraid of the profusion of suburban supermarkets and shopping centres killing the city centre.

'The doughnut effect' I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

350 new jobs are on the way to Ballincollig with the opening of a new Tesco store in the town.
    150 workers will be required for the construction phase which is due to begin in June before the store opens its doors in September of next year.
    It is expected that 200 jobs will be available in the store which is part of the €19m Ballincollig Town centre project.

gonna be bloodbath! can see it killing Dunnes and the smaller Super Valu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Work seems to have started on this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

kcb wrote: »
    Work seems to have started on this ...

Where about town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Seen it I think beside Dunnes Shopping Center Car Park?

Advertisement