Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 renault laguna wont start

• 16-11-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi ,my friend has a 01 laguna 1.6 petrol that refused to start about 2 weeks ago (dead battery) since then she had been starting the car with jump leads from her neighbours car. yesterday she got it started with the leads and went to the shop and when she came out it would not start so she got a friend to tow the car home i believe they tried to start the car "on the run" while towing it home. but since then the car will not start even with jump leads it just keeps turning over .i tried immobiliser and the light goes out after ignition is switched on for a few seconds. i tried spark plugs and all appear to be sparking.also can hear fuel pump coming on when ignition is switched on and fuel is coming as far as the fuel rail. also removed the "crankshaft sensor" and tried it in a laguna i knew to be starting and it started the other car no problem :confused: any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this all still with the original dead battery?I could well be proper dead an dnot just abit flat. Have you another (good)battery to try first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's not charging it's battery. Probably the charging circuit's fried since if the alternator was gone it wouldn't run at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dartz wrote: »
    It's not charging it's battery..

The battery is not taking a charge, but it coudl be down to the battery being fecked too. It's the similest thign to check before going to the cars electrical system. I had a similar issue with my dads 00 Laguna last year when the cold killed off the old battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 manwho2

sorry guys for the delay,could ent find your replies earlier. went down today to have another look at the car.had chat about when and how it stopped starting she said it started maybe 15 times on the jump leads but when they towed it home after breaking down at the shop it refused to start with leads from then on. so decided to check timing belt took of the oil fill cap and turned it over but could see that the camshaft was ent turning and there was a small gap on the belt cover got a small screwdriver in and it just slid between belt and the camshaft pulley so unfortunately the belt has snapped . does anyone know if this means this engine is definately damaged internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

manwho2 wrote: »
    sorry guys for the delay,could ent find your replies earlier. went down today to have another look at the car.had chat about when and how it stopped starting she said it started maybe 15 times on the jump leads but when they towed it home after breaking down at the shop it refused to start with leads from then on. so decided to check timing belt took of the oil fill cap and turned it over but could see that the camshaft was ent turning and there was a small gap on the belt cover got a small screwdriver in and it just slid between belt and the camshaft pulley so unfortunately the belt has snapped . does anyone know if this means this engine is definately damaged internally?

I dont know how much it would cost to get that fixed but I will give you some info on past experience with a laguna!

my BF had exact same car 01 and 1.6 Laguna! He had nothing but problems with it! Firstly electrical problems, windows not going up/down, window falling out because of motor was broken and not secure! then when driving it would cut out, not even stall just completely die( this was a problem with the card key and was so so dangerous) next problem was to do with with engine some part was getting clogged up with dirt to quickly and always had to get cleaned out! also the exhaust was a mess, had to get a new one cos it actually fell off!!!! A lot of other small things happend and finally the clutch went!! Worst Car ever!! He dosent have it anymore thank god!!! but the car at the time was like 6 yrs old so bloody thing shouldnt of been that bad!! only positive was that it was a comfy car and looked well:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement