Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th (delete as appropriate)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Also worth remembering that Arsenal, Chelsea are still in the CL and both Manchester clubs have Europa football. Maybe a distraction from the league, hope so.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Well 10 minutes to kick off in Man U v Chelsea.

And I really don't know who to be up for. It's a win win and a lose lose no matter what happens.

Do we hope for a Chelsea win - eroding our lead on them in the race for 3rd but giving us a chance of catching Man Utd in 2nd. ?

Or do we hope for a Man Utd win - cementing our 3rd place but getting closer to writing off our 2nd place challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

And I really don't know who to be up for. It's a win win and a lose lose no matter what happens.

Do we hope for a Chelsea win - eroding our lead on them in the race for 3rd but giving us a chance of catching Man Utd in 2nd. ?

Or do we hope for a Man Utd win - cementing our 3rd place but getting closer to writing off our 2nd place challenge.

We hope for a draw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A draw is the best result for us

Ok so looks like it's time to look into the positives of a Chelsea hammering beating Man Utd :D

Edit

Ok so looks like it's time to look into the positives of a Chelsea narrowly beating Man Utd :D

Edit Again :P

Yay For A Draw !!

• Advertisement

Ok so looks like it's time to look into the positives of a Chelsea hammering narrowly beating Man Utd :D

A win for us tomorrow puts us 2 points off second place and 7 ahead of 4th !

Quoted so u can't edit it again :p

A draw would be lovely too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

All I can do is laugh at this game, 3-3.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Quoted so u can't edit it again :p

A draw would be lovely too

LOL was not hiding it :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

With a bit of luck Chelsea will be deflated for weeks over that. Great game. Ideal for us provided we win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Beat the Pool we're 9pts clear and 3pts behind second.

The next four weeks is gonna be intense, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal and Man Utd.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Big big game week coming up, Liverpool could be out of the running for CL I feel if they loose to Utd.

Arsenal have a tough game away to Sunderland. never easy but especially now.

City should see off Villa but Robbie is on a charge so he might do us a favour.

As we know have a must win against Newcastle. Anything less then a win is really end of title dream.

I'm hoping Chelsea maybe won't be over the united comeback but I think they'll have much to much for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If we are clear of third by 10+ points after 30 games we can probably erase fourth from the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

The summit is now in sight. I know that Man City are clear of us, but we can only be concerned with winning games and keeping the pressure on them. If we can beat Arsenal away, it opens up a clear gap to the for chasing teams.
    Then e play Man Yoo at home. Win that and we reel them in.
    The effect would be two-fold. We won't have to look over our shoulders as much, and can focus on an assault on the Title.We'll never have a better chance. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle will all be ravenous, and taking points off each other, keeping them back from us. On top of that, they will not be easy for the Manchester clubs to play.
    Two wins from two would wipe out the disappointment of the Man City defeat, and put us right back in it, and with form and momentum.

So I have been looking at the run in we have:

Arsenal A
    Utd
    Everton A
    Stoke
    Chelsea A
    Swansea
    Sunderland A
    Norwich
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn
    Villa A
    Fulham

Far from an easy finish to the season but are last 5 games gives me great hope.

For a title bid we really are going to have to get 35/36 points from 39 available with a win against Utd. Stranger things have happened but I think that is a huge ask.

For 3rd or even 4th we need about 25/26 assuming that Arsenal, Chelsea or even Newcastle go on a serious run which one surely will. That really is just winning the games we "should" win and we'll be 95% there couple of draws against one of the better teams and we'll be over the line.

Personally, I would love to be within an outside chance of the title by the time we come into those final five games but we need some massive results between now and then. Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and Swansea are all hard games and I wouldn't be confident of any of them but I think we could beat any of those teams on our day.

Gonna be exciting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

ziedth wrote: »

Arsenal A
    Utd
    Everton A
    Stoke
    Chelsea A
    Swansea
    Sunderland A
    Norwich
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn
    Villa A
    Fulham

Far from an easy finish to the season but are last 5 games gives me great hope.

For a title bid we really are going to have to get 35/36 points from 39 available with a win against Utd. Stranger things have happened but I think that is a huge ask.

For 3rd or even 4th we need about 25/26 assuming that Arsenal, Chelsea or even Newcastle go on a serious run which one surely will. That really is just winning the games we "should" win and we'll be 95% there couple of draws against one of the better teams and we'll be over the line.

Personally, I would love to be within an outside chance of the title by the time we come into those final five games but we need some massive results between now and then. Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and Swansea are all hard games and I wouldn't be confident of any of them but I think we could beat any of those teams on our day.

Gonna be exciting anyway.

My attitude is one game at a time, what will be will be ;)

KingdomYid wrote: »
    My attitude is one game at a time, what will be will be ;)

I have been known to overthink things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

We need to win 5 out of 6 home games. Achievable, and pick up two away wins and i think we will be in the champs league. I certainly think 70 point s guarantees champs league, 75 points should be enough for third. So 22 points from the remaining 13 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

ziedth wrote: »

Arsenal A 1pt
    Utd 3pts
    Everton A 1pt
    Stoke 3pts
    Chelsea A 1pt
    Swansea 3pts

Sunderland A
    Norwich
    Bolton A
    QPR A
    Blackburn
    Villa A
    Fulham

I think we'd be doing extremely well to pick up the points I've mentioned above - 12 from 18 on offer and that means going unbeaten in the next 6 games and picking up points at the emirates, Stamford bridge and Goodison ... a tall order for any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

i'd just be happy with what we have.let the mancs battle it out for the title altho a slip up from either would be welcome,3rd place would be an amazing achievement and thats more or less in the bag....chelsea have to play city,arsenal and liverpool away aswell as ourselves and newcastle at home.....the gooners have ourselves,newcastle,city and chelsea at home and liverpool away in their remaining fixtures,all those games could go either way.
    now 1 of them could move up a gear or 2 and challenge us for 3rd but for both of them to overtake us is virtually impossible,even if we only manage to get 20 points from the remaining 39 they'd have to get 31 points to take 3rd spot,cant see either of them being that consistant in the remaining games.
    come on guys,a bit of optimism,we're nearly there...... we are 10 points clear ffs and im already looking forward to tues and wed night football again next season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We've been is 3rd so long now that I'd be be disappointed if we didnt finish in 2nd place.

Dont get me wrong - 3rd place would be a fantastic achievement. (I didnt give us a hope of finishing top 6 at the start of the season), but that Man Utd team is the poorest Utd team in years and we really should be closer to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tomo75

I'd take 3rd and the FA cup now. I can't see City/UTD (especially UTD if they get into the driving seat) letting the PL through their fingers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I would be absolutely over the moon with 3rd. It would be a terrific achievement for Spurs, having spent so little money over the past few seasons. Automatic qualification for the CL is a big thing really but it would be more than that. It would mean that Spurs were the only team outside of the two Manc clubs who were consistent enough throughout the season to stay near the top of the table. The only other team capable of mounting a title challenge throughout the season.

Remember, while we may have a better team in a lot of places than Utd, they know how to win and have a manager who has done it all before. City are there because of their players - we're there because of a great mix of players and the manager.

Let's see how we get on over the next few big games. I'd absolutely love us to beat Utd at home, seeing as they're the last of the big teams we haven't beaten of late. If that happens, who knows? Perhaps we could finish in 2nd place, or higher!

We've been is 3rd so long now that I'd be be disappointed if we didnt finish in 2nd place.

Dont get me wrong - 3rd place would be a fantastic achievement. (I didnt give us a hope of finishing top 6 at the start of the season), but that Man Utd team is the poorest Utd team in years and we really should be closer to them.

I dont agree with you there mate, if we finish 3rd it will be unbelievable and will mean group stages of the Champions League. Now dont get me wrong we could very well finish above United but I still think they might win it, given their experience in the run in.

I think Utd are going to win it:

They have a much easier run in then any other team.

Tevez is poison and if he plays again for city I can imagine causing allot of hassle behind closed doors.

I just don't think City have the heart for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

SuprSi wrote: »
    I would be absolutely over the moon with 3rd. - I'd absolutely love us to beat Utd at home, seeing as they're the last of the big teams we haven't beaten of late.

I agree, finishing 3rd is a massive achievement for Spurs given our wage structure and spending. It would be impossible to take any negatives from it.

However, for some reason beating United would make it all that much sweeter, even if we still came 3rd. They're the team we just cant beat (sometimes humiliatingly overturned or 'robbed'). We came close last season and I fancy us to do them this time......

I agree, finishing 3rd is a massive achievement for Spurs given our wage structure and spending. It would be impossible to take any negatives from it.

However, for some reason beating United would make it all that much sweeter, even if we still came 3rd. They're the team we just cant beat (sometimes humiliatingly overturned or 'robbed'). We came close last season and I fancy us to do them this time......

Knowing our luck against them we'll get Howard Webb and they'll get 2 peno's

Man we have to finish above the goons, they are all giving it heaps now that they beat us in one game. It will be so sweet to finish above them and ram it down their smug faces. COYS!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's an Arsenal fan in work, who's really been rubbing it in. He's convinced (along with more people than i'd care to admit) that this is the beginning of our collapse. If we don't finish ahead of them....oh god it will suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ade saying in yesterdays paper that we can still win the league.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    There's an Arsenal fan in work, who's really been rubbing it in. He's convinced (along with more people than i'd care to admit) that this is the beginning of our collapse. If we don't finish ahead of them....oh god it will suck.

Tell him "it's typical, spurs play well against the big teams, but bad against the poor ones" :D

Advertisement