Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxassist.ie

• 16-09-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone used these accountants. end of year coming up and they have quoated us over €400 less than our current accountant. Im just abit nervous as this seems like a lot (at present cost is €1200 - small business sole trader - one man band:D ) The tax man is something I dont want to skimp on :eek:
    The one we are thinking about going to is based in cork city. Any info greatly appreciated. tanx

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi Deeny

Taxassist is a franchise for accountants primarily based in the UK.

I recall a very heated thread a few months ago about them which did contain a lot of inuendo and rumours about the qualifications, entry requirements etc which may or may not have been fair to them.

If you are planning to move accountants you should do your due dilligance on the actual firm beforehand and not whether they are taxassist. Ask if the firm is run by qualified staff and their history and client base etc. If you dont feel comfortable then dont move.

I know only to well that times are tough but for a difference of only €400 I would also consider what service you will get as opposed to just price alone.

Just my 2c :)

Kind Regards

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

tanx dbran. dp met withthe guy and seems very happy with him but i am just a little unsure. €400 less than present is alot but am a bit worried things will not be as they should.
    Can i ask what questions should we be asking - as in - what qualifications should a person have to be qualified to do dps tax returns. I am a bit naive when it comes to these matters and sure as hell dont want the tax man after us in a few years looking for 1000's as things were not done as should have been.
    tanx again

this guy is a chartered accountant with 10yrs experience. thats about all i know about him

well now this is very interesting - just opened an email from tax assist and a letter from current accountant pretty much at same time. taxassist are looking for almost €1000(including vat) dp was under the impression the figure was vat inclusive plus they want half money upfront
    then current accountant has brought down his fee to €700 +vat highlighting the fact that he has been very flexable on fees and payment date - fair enough. its probably only 2 mths since we paid him in full for last year. but jesus thast sme drop from €1200 to €700- obviously fleecing us last few years:mad: He was also very kind to include a print out form taxassist site and highlighted paragraphs that say 'you do not have to be a qualified accountant to join them'

A bit angry to say the least Rip off ireland is alive and well still. probably will go local still though and stay with same fellow. gut is saying so just hope dp agrees:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

deemy wrote: »
    well now this is very interesting - just opened an email from tax assist and a letter from current accountant pretty much at same time. taxassist are looking for almost €1000(including vat) dp was under the impression the figure was vat inclusive plus they want half money upfront
    then current accountant has brought down his fee to €700 +vat highlighting the fact that he has been very flexable on fees and payment date - fair enough. its probably only 2 mths since we paid him in full for last year. but jesus thast sme drop from €1200 to €700- obviously fleecing us last few years:mad: He was also very kind to include a print out form taxassist site and highlighted paragraphs that say 'you do not have to be a qualified accountant to join them'

A bit angry to say the least Rip off ireland is alive and well still. probably will go local still though and stay with same fellow. gut is saying so just hope dp agrees:rolleyes:

Just wanted to say that your accountant may not have been ripping you off the last few years, instead he's probably putting staff under more pressure to get jobs completed quicker and may well have cut charge out rates & his employees wages. Also I suppose it's crucial to keep hold of clients at the moment, when things improve you may not get them back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

+1

He could just be doing it at cost. But you have your price reduction. The devil you know an all that.....:)

Kind Regards

dbran

Decided to go with our same accountant after all this:p Better the devil is right dbran. Hes local and a small firm with just himself and 1 parttimer so guess he can afford to cut his own fee but still make money.
    its gas dp rang the guy from taxassist and told him our accountant would do it for €600(lie - €700) and he - straight away- said he would match it but still decided to stay with our guy. Glad we went about changing now. saved our selves a good few hundred.
    tanx again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TaxAssist

I noticed this thread and wanted to clarify a couple of points. As dbran mentions, if you are thinking of changing accountant it is vitally important that you ask plenty of questions. You should always ensure that you are comfortable with your accountant’s qualifications, level of expertise, support structures, knowledge of your business and/or personal circumstances and fee structure.
    My business partner and I have held the master franchise licence for TaxAssist Accountants in Ireland for 20 months. I am CPA qualified and regulated and Roddy Comyn my business partner is ACA qualified. We have over 45 years combined experience of running successful accountancy practices. We are wholly Irish owned and our head office is based in Fairview, Dublin
    The TaxAssist franchisee you mention, in Cork City, is a qualified chartered accountant with ten years of both small and large practice experience. Our eight other franchisees are also qualified accountants and are members of the various professional bodies including CPA, ACA and ACCA.
    If you require any further clarification or information don’t hesitate to get in contact. Our website address is www.taxassist.ie. Greg Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TaxAssist If you wish to continue to post in a commercial capacity on Boards, please contact the admins at hello@boards.ie

dudara

Advertisement