Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Eric Cantona

Hey everyone,

Great thread so far and fair play to everyone who had the courage to take up GAA again. I've been thinking about taking up hurling again for the past year or two. I'm 21 now, 6'5'' and with reasonable fitness but haven't played hurling with a team since under 10s/12s.

My technical skills would be very limited (to put it mildly) so I'd be too self-conscious to train with my local club right away. I'm starting back in UL tomorrow and I'm wondering if the club would welcome almost complete beginners. I'm more interested in taking part in a sport I feel I'd enjoy than challenging at the highest level. So I'd be more than happy with an occasional run out with a 3rd/4th team etc.

Is 21 a bit too late for starting or is it possible to get reasonably good with some hard work? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hey everyone,

Great thread so far and fair play to everyone who had the courage to take up GAA again. I've been thinking about taking up hurling again for the past year or two. I'm 21 now, 6'5'' and with reasonable fitness but haven't played hurling with a team since under 10s/12s.

My technical skills would be very limited (to put it mildly) so I'd be too self-conscious to train with my local club right away. I'm starting back in UL tomorrow and I'm wondering if the club would welcome almost complete beginners. I'm more interested in taking part in a sport I feel I'd enjoy than challenging at the highest level. So I'd be more than happy with an occasional run out with a 3rd/4th team etc.

Is 21 a bit too late for starting or is it possible to get reasonably good with some hard work? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

If you are in university i am sure they would be glad to have you they will have lads from all walks from class players to lads who couldnt puck out with a two mile wide hurl and you can build yourself up from there, then from there when you have more skill, fitness and confidence you can look at a club team

And askin if at 21 you are too old? I am sure there are lads on here and in the sports that would tell you to GTFO (in the nicest way possible of course ;) )

Go for it man :D
    liam09 wrote: »
    hi i am sorry about b4

If you are being serious then fair balls, if not you will find the gaa forum is slim pickings for trolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Eric Cantona

Thanks GAAman. Hopefully I'll get started in the next week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 patch652

Hi All,

Great thread. I'm 28 and I'm hoping to get back playing hurling after a serious absence (14 years!). I would be glad enough just to get involved in some training sessions to get my touch back and take it from there. I'm fairly sure I will be hopeless though. I'm living in the Harold's Cross area of Dublin. Any idea of who I could get in contact with for starters? Would love to join a club but I know I won't be able to contribute much to any of their teams. Cheers in advance for any info lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Jugs82 wrote: »
    I went back hurling this year after a 7 year absence - it was tough at the start as i wouldnt be hughely fit and my touch was gone buts its amazing how much you come on in the space of a month or two.

Played in my first ever county final on Saturday in Junior C - lost but am delighted that i made the decision to go back this year

I was nervous at the start of the year but honestly could not recommend going back enough to anybody thinking about it - looking forward to next year already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Hey

does anyone know a club in South Dub or along the M50 that are lookin for football or hurling players? The lower the standard the better!

patch652 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Great thread. I'm 28 and I'm hoping to get back playing hurling after a serious absence (14 years!). I would be glad enough just to get involved in some training sessions to get my touch back and take it from there. I'm fairly sure I will be hopeless though. I'm living in the Harold's Cross area of Dublin. Any idea of who I could get in contact with for starters? Would love to join a club but I know I won't be able to contribute much to any of their teams. Cheers in advance for any info lads.

Hi there, didnt see your post till today. I am from crumlin myself i know the crumlin and st james lads are always looking for people of all skill sets, crumlin operate out of pearse park and st james from the iveagh grounds on the crumlin road

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

http://www.crumlingaa.com/
    Hey

does anyone know a club in South Dub or along the M50 that are lookin for football or hurling players? The lower the standard the better!

Can you be a bit more specific in terms of area? Or you could look at my first post on this thread there is a folder called boards.zip, in that there is a folder for each county and there is a pretty full Dublin one :)

Thought it might be time for an update and can hardly ask people to post here if i dont do so myself can i!

So as some of you know i have a pretty bad injury in the form of my achilles tendon and have had LOTS of physio which did not help a bit. They referred me for an operation on it but the op was refused on the grounds it could do more harm then good (my point of "is that not the risks of ALL operations" fell on deaf ears)

I got so fed up i started back with my university team a few weeks ago and between that and personal gym time i am training nearly 5 days a week. I cant really sprint or run for long distances which as players know will hamper you alot (especially when you are a forward ;) ) i have gotten stick from the lads on the team with one in particular however he was lost for words when i scored 2-1 in quick succession the other day durin a practice match :D

I have started seeing a neuromuscular therapist and he hurts the blue hell outta you but says there is alot of hope for the leg, he has to break the fascia down off the bone and let it heal up properly again ( or something to that effect i was seein red at the time :eek:

So hopefully this guy (came highly recommended from a kickboxing champ friend of mine) can work his magic and get me runnin again

With all that outta the way how are the rest of you lads gettin on gettin back into the game? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fitgir

Hey GAAman. Sorry to hear about your achilles, I had it for 8 years. It started when I was playing county football and then I had to stop that. Played club and it got gradually worse, until I had to give up the club.

I went to everyone including NMT therapists. Best way in my opinion to recover from this is yoga. I tried it for a while and it was the best way to recuperate as I believe flexibility has a major part to play.
    I partially tore one achilles and had tendonitis on the other constantly. Had laser, got injections, orthotics, raises, scans, rolfing, bio energy, nmt, physio. You name I did it.

Yoga was the best for me, but I wasn't committed enough in the end to do both.

Best of luck with it.

I think your training isn't great in the gym. Should be more intervals. Could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 econ09

What sort of a standard is Junior C hurling in Dublin?

I'm 23, have never played too much before and ready to get into it, think I'd make an ok junior player with a good bit of training and match practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 09828

i love playing gaelic but im so unfit i cannot even run a lap without getting tired :mad::(:(so im really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Good tread this. I've not played for or first team in seven years. (I'm 33) I've played a few matches for the second team in that time but only played 15 minutes this. Didn't train all last year. I've trained the under 16's (two years running) ad last year was in charge of the minors.

For the last three weeks I'm back training on my own. I was 14 and1/2 stone and I should be 13. I've lost 5 pounds in the mean time. At my age it's now or never. I'm going to the gym which I hate but it's working. I'm cycling to work and I play soccer one night a week.

I'm looking forward for the training to start in February. Teach the young lads a thing or two.

Why the lay off? Too many good nights in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

I'm not well built enough to play.Haven't played since under 14 level and unless I get a serious weight lifting programme going,I don't think I could possibly compete at minor level.Fitness however aint a problem.I'm generally a speedy fcuker lol

econ09 wrote: »
    What sort of a standard is Junior C hurling in Dublin?

I'm 23, have never played too much before and ready to get into it, think I'd make an ok junior player with a good bit of training and match practice.

As i have said before on this thread and will say again go for it man you have nothing to lose :) I couldnt tell you the standard for hurling i am a football man myself but i am sure some others here will be able to give you the info you are looking for
    09828 wrote: »
    i love playing gaelic but im so unfit i cannot even run a lap without getting tired :mad::(:(so im really bad

Well you know the best way to sort that out dont you? If you join a team you will find your fitness improving greatly it certainly helps when there are others there as your natural competitive streak pushes you that extra mile and even if you run till you puke, wipe your mouth and run even more :)

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Good tread this. I've not played for or first team in seven years. (I'm 33) I've played a few matches for the second team in that time but only played 15 minutes this. Didn't train all last year. I've trained the under 16's (two years running) ad last year was in charge of the minors.

For the last three weeks I'm back training on my own. I was 14 and1/2 stone and I should be 13. I've lost 5 pounds in the mean time. At my age it's now or never. I'm going to the gym which I hate but it's working. I'm cycling to work and I play soccer one night a week.

I'm looking forward for the training to start in February. Teach the young lads a thing or two.

Why the lay off? Too many good nights in Galway.

Ha the downfall of many a great player :) make sure and let us know how you get on when you are back in the game in feb :)
    I'm not well built enough to play.Haven't played since under 14 level and unless I get a serious weight lifting programme going,I don't think I could possibly compete at minor level.Fitness however aint a problem.I'm generally a speedy fcuker lol

I will tell you words of wisdom that were passed to me years ago when i said the very same thing (i have bulked up since but back in the day i could nearly have stood side by side with a lamppost and been hidden but was fast as hell :D )

"It doesnt matter how hard you can throw a punch or shoulder, if the fella you are aiming at is faster then your hand is"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 canonfodder

I thought I was the only one mad enough to have this idea! I'm 37 6'2"and about 19 stone never really played bar one season for Dundalk RTC back in 1989. I've always loved the game (football) though and would love to give it a go. Seeing this thread has given me great encouragement. I do play soccer twice a week so I'm not completely banjaxed. I would love to join a club and try out for whatever the lowest Junior level is (Junior D I think). I'm from Dundrum, what team do you reckon would be the best bet for me.

Even writing this a part of me is thinking what the hell are you thinking you are too old, fat and unfit to join any club! This is either the worst or best idea I've ever had.

I thought I was the only one mad enough to have this idea! I'm 37 6'2"and about 19 stone never really played bar one season for Dundalk RTC back in 1989. I've always loved the game (football) though and would love to give it a go. Seeing this thread has given me great encouragement. I do play soccer twice a week so I'm not completely banjaxed. I would love to join a club and try out for whatever the lowest Junior level is (Junior D I think). I'm from Dundrum, what team do you reckon would be the best bet for me.

Even writing this a part of me is thinking what the hell are you thinking you are too old, fat and unfit to join any club! This is either the worst or best idea I've ever had.

Go for it man. I'm starting to enjoy the gym now and last night playing soccer I didn't ask to go in goal after 10 minutes, infact I was pissed off when my turn to go in goals came up. I'm below 14 stone at this stage.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

I'm from Dundrum, what team do you reckon would be the best bet for me.

I would recommend Naomh Olaf, it is the local club in Dundrum - they are based in Sandyford Industrial Est and going on standards this year. You'll get a fair shot at it. 3 teams - Senior, Junior and Junior B (Div 8 Dublin AFL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tuliphead

hey everyone,
    really interestin thread. im 24 years old and am going back hurling this season after a 5 year absence. played all the way up under age and got some good experience with schools hurling but let drink get the better of me and gave up the hurling. now im 6 months off the beer and cant wait ta get back but im worried, im not worried about the skills or anything cause i still have them but its the fitness. i only stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and im still pretty unfit. its gonna be horrible im sure but im gonna give it everythin i got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 room18

Im more or less in the same boat as you. Im 20, 5'9 and about 10.5 stone. So as you can tell I get shoved off every single ball. I rely on my speed and my first touch but its not enough. I was a good hurler when I was younger but now its affecting my confidence on the field. I play for a Junior hurling team at the moment where the hurling isnt of great standard and is extremely more scrappier than senior. Im starting to consider doing weights and take protein shakes but its hardly the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

Returned to the GAA fields this year after retiring missed it too much. i have played a lot of hurling over the last 20. lads d'ont need to have huge strength to hurl if your a light fast player concentrate on the skills. possession is 9/10 the law on a hurling pitch.working on pick ups and the touch will improve the confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Hey guys

Finally got myself onto a team in Dublin. Actually, I have joined a Gaelic football team and a separate hurling team. Training starts in a few weeks.

Is anyone doing some pre-season exercise to get ready for training? i know the weather is awful but would love to do some work before I start with the new teams.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Redhand

great thread - i'm 35 years old and tortured with back trouble and shin splints though reading this has maybe give me a kick up the backside - might head to the gym this week and start all over again :eek:

My update: Did a few nights in the gym before Christmas but it all went Pete Tong for a few weeks during the holidays but I'm back in the swing of it again. First training session starts this Friday. Anyone know a masseuse? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Christyvpl

Hi All,

Good thread. It's go to hear that other people are thinking of getting into hurling at a similar age to me, however there seems to be a lack of absolute beginners. I was living over seas and never really got the chance to join a team of any discription. Now that I'm back, I would really like to take the opportunity to give it a go.

I'm moderately fit, do a few tris and mtn running. I have played squash and tennis in the past, so the hand/eye is ok. I have a hurl and can run with the ball on the stick for 40/50m or so and really enjoy pucing around when I can find someone to do it with. So I think, given the chance and a bit of training I could pick up the skills necessary to give it a lash.

I played rugby in school, so don't have many friends into GAA. I live close to stillorgan and someone mentioned to me that Kilmacud Crokes was a big club and that they would have lots of teams. Does anyone know anything about the club?

I really looking for a low level team to enjoy the sport, get fit and have a bit of craic.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

Hey folks

Ranelagh Gaels may be the team that might suit a lot of you, they have a Junior team and a ladies team. They are also in the process of organising a hurling team.

The lads are back training 2 or 3 weeks now, and the ladies are due to start back on the 4'th of Feb.

http://www.ranelaghgaels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Christyvpl wrote: »
    Hi All,

Good thread. It's go to hear that other people are thinking of getting into hurling at a similar age to me, however there seems to be a lack of absolute beginners. I was living over seas and never really got the chance to join a team of any discription. Now that I'm back, I would really like to take the opportunity to give it a go.

I'm moderately fit, do a few tris and mtn running. I have played squash and tennis in the past, so the hand/eye is ok. I have a hurl and can run with the ball on the stick for 40/50m or so and really enjoy pucing around when I can find someone to do it with. So I think, given the chance and a bit of training I could pick up the skills necessary to give it a lash.

I played rugby in school, so don't have many friends into GAA. I live close to stillorgan and someone mentioned to me that Kilmacud Crokes was a big club and that they would have lots of teams. Does anyone know anything about the club?

I really looking for a low level team to enjoy the sport, get fit and have a bit of craic.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Howya Christy, Crokes have a team in AHL8, which is the lowest division there is, so that would be ideal and they'll be starting back in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Christyvpl

Thanks Gingy.

I'll head down there and check it out.

Time for an update (now i have time for it!) as i should be the first to do so and will expect others to follow suit :)

So after returning to football in october while carrying my achilles tendon injuries i started seeing a neuromuscular therapist and he worked wonders, where i could not run a lap to save my life with the injury at the worst after a few sessions with him i only had to take one or two breaks for a few mins per session to stretch the leg out.

Coming back after over a year (closer to two actually) out i had alot of worries and the first few sessions where before i would have knocked them over in my sleep i was kicking on target but it was dropping short, three sessions a week in the gym with the leg weights soon put paid to that, i saw an improvement not only in the kicking but also the max weight on the seated leg press is 150KG and i tell you now i will never forget the first time i hit the max weight on it :D

So we had a few friendlies and gelled as a team pretty well, one of the highlights of the league though (colleges league) was beating our rivals jordanstowns thirds, now although that sounds silly being happy to beat a teams thirds, we werent even expecting to beat them ourselves, so shocking was our win that normally the home team puts on a meal for the away team and they were that disgusted they f*cked off back to belfast with their tails between their legs and we tucked into their food :D

We eventually made it to the quarter finals and were beaten by gmit letterfrack, i wont lie it wasnt ours to win in the end but it was close with two late-ish points on their behalf to seal the deal for them, i am dying to slam the ref as he made some seriously bad calls and 90% of them went against us but im sure it would sound like sour grapes

To sum up, lots of pain and money on the therapist would i do it again? You bet your arse i would

So share yours :)

Janey mack lads nobody anything to share on their progress??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

I'm 32 and fairly fit, don't drink or smoke and would love to go back playing hurling.I played up until about 16 but was never that good. Wasn't totally useless either but would have been a sub mostly rather than a regular player.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I've recently moved back to a rural location and they have several hurling teams. One is a junior c hurling team. What is the standard likely to be and would they welcome new members at that level? thanks.

Advertisement