Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My legs are killing me after our walk on the beach, I wore crocs down so I could go for a paddle but there's no support at all in them so I was using different muscles in my legs to keep them on my feet while marching back up through the dunes. Plus the itchy scratchy sand between my toes :D, for all the time I spend at the beach I usually avoid getting sand anywhere on me, I can't stand it!

One of the reasons I avoid the beach, an hour on the beach and il be finding sand in my socks and shoes for weeks no matter how careful I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Whispered wrote: »
    Not happy at all. A few weeks ago there was a big white dog "straying" in the estate. I called our local Spca who sent an inspector out and it tuned out he had owners who just let him out and were barely feeding him. The owners have now obviously been feeding him as he's put on weight but he was out again this morning. He tried to get at phoenix, who was on a lead and knocked me over in his efforts to get at him. The owner was around the corner ignoring me shouting for someone to come and get their dog. I'm absolutely fuming.

One of my pet hates, feel like killing those sort of bloody people, are they approachable/reasonable in any way? Although in my experience these type of people just never get it. Hope you and Phoenix are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We are ok thanks. I rang the SPCA again who suggested I call the warden, so I did. Maybe a warning from him will help them realise they need to look after their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Found a gorgeous brown and white collie yesterday. I'd seen him running through the village couple days before. Anyway first time i saw him in my yard i failed to catch him, he came back later and i managed to catch him using some ham. He was nervous but didn't take long to warm up to me and was very friendly in the end. He had collar on but no tag or chip. Local rescue made space for him because i've full house here so i dropped him back yesterday evening. Was so upset leaving him there because he really didnt want to go into the kennel. Have put posters in local shop and posted on facebook but nobody seems to know who owns him. Makes me so mad that his owners put a lovely collar on him but no tag!

nala2012 wrote: »
    Found a gorgeous brown and white collie yesterday. I'd seen him running through the village couple days before. Anyway first time i saw him in my yard i failed to catch him, he came back later and i managed to catch him using some ham. He was nervous but didn't take long to warm up to me and was very friendly in the end. He had collar on but no tag or chip. Local rescue made space for him because i've full house here so i dropped him back yesterday evening. Was so upset leaving him there because he really didnt want to go into the kennel. Have put posters in local shop and posted on facebook but nobody seems to know who owns him. Makes me so mad that his owners put a lovely collar on him but no tag!

Lovely looking fella :) hopefully there's someone looking for him and it's a case of the tag breaking off while he was rummaging through hedges or something, happened a friends lab that went missing with a tag but was found without it.

Or in the case of another person I know who refuses to put a tag on her dog in case she escaped and caused damage to livestock or people that could be traced back to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Collecting my daughter DCU tomorrow, looking forward to it, she's been gone 2 weeks and I will be glad to have her home, partly so I can have the bed to myself for a night (not telling her that, Im already a bad mother according to her) as I know all the animals will be stuck to her for a day or two.

Still have the two kittens, first one was very tame within 48hrs, the other is still hissing at me, although it did fall asleep on me last night. She's such a beauty too, image of our late Mouse, going to have to home them soon, just hope my daughter can put more time in with her and get her tamer too.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Lovely looking fella :) hopefully there's someone looking for him and it's a case of the tag breaking off while he was rummaging through hedges or something, happened a friends lab that went missing with a tag but was found without it.

Or in the case of another person I know who refuses to put a tag on her dog in case she escaped and caused damage to livestock or people that could be traced back to her.

That last part is absolutely disgusting :mad::eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My vets have stopped stocking Advocate and are using Broadline instead. Didn't realise how difficult it's going to be to apply, it's a syringe, gonna be a 2 person job getting it on them. I'll be buying it online from now on.

mymo wrote: »
    That last part is absolutely disgusting :mad::eek::mad:

Yep, sad part is I'm related to her, her kids have as just a flippant view of pets as her. :( I gave up telling her not to feed the roast chicken carcass too.

Had to run down the road to collect something at work today and noticed a jeep with a very hot looking collie sitting in the back panting, front windows down only about two inches. Knew I was only going to be less than 5 minutes so said to myself if he was still there when I got back I'd ask around to see who owned it as it's not a usual car I'd see parked there. When I was walking back a couple had just arrived back to it, looked like they'd been in aldi across the road. Can't understand people who leave dogs locked in cars in this weather, surely it's common sense that the heat builds up so quickly in a parked car. And surely when there was two of them one of them could've stayed behind with the dog and let him out of the car.

How stupid has someone got to be to think leaving a window open two inches on a hot, humid dead heat day with no breeze will cool down a car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Got Poppy a new crate today! She's been using a travel carrier type one for a few months but I wanted to upgrade to a bigger one because of the weather and wanted her to have more room to stretch out more.

Ended up getting a lovely wire one from argos for only €18!! Less than half the usual price they sell them for, absolutely delighted with it!

• Advertisement

I hate this humidity, it's too sticky to wear anything at night. Jazzy thinks it's great though, he was rolling around on me at 6am purring happily at having a human hot waterbottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lucy was back for a swim at hydro last night after being off the last few weeks when she was in heat.... She apparently has huge muscles bigger than Baileys and like what a rottie would have lol!! :D A bit smug because the vet nurse told me last year that she wouldn't have the same "muscle density" as a "normal" dog fed hills :rolleyes: She's a power house lol!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Had to run down the road to collect something at work today and noticed a jeep with a very hot looking collie sitting in the back panting, front windows down only about two inches. Knew I was only going to be less than 5 minutes so said to myself if he was still there when I got back I'd ask around to see who owned it as it's not a usual car I'd see parked there. When I was walking back a couple had just arrived back to it, looked like they'd been in aldi across the road. Can't understand people who leave dogs locked in cars in this weather, surely it's common sense that the heat builds up so quickly in a parked car. And surely when there was two of them one of them could've stayed behind with the dog and let him out of the car.

How stupid has someone got to be to think leaving a window open two inches on a hot, humid dead heat day with no breeze will cool down a car? :confused:

It's unbelievable and infuriating, there's so much awareness now about leaving dogs in hot cars that even if you were completely thick you couldn't fail to see all the advice that's online/social media etc, there was a dog left in the car in my local supermarket car park this morning, they had parked in the shade so presume thought that was 'grand', I left a note on the car 'dogs DIE (underlined) in hot cars' resisted adding 'you stupid f*****g twat' I was sooo mad I'm considering printing off some posters and asking the local shops to put them in the window

They need to raise awareness too that it's not a good idea to walk let alone RUN dogs when it's so warm!!! Yesterday on the way to hydro we saw a lab being dragged around at 5:30, on the way to and from work I've seen a guy running with a GSD... in 22-25 degree heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Since I've gotten home today blue has been all over me, sitting on my lap and purring away wandering off and doing it again. She's been on me more today than the past years worth of times combined I'd say! She's very rarely affectionate with me. We're moving house this weekend and spent all yesterday and today packing so everything is moved. I think she definitely knows something is up :) or she's finally come through the terrible teenage times!

Boo - got some free 'German' meaty treats from zooplus ... Made in PRC! :(

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    It's unbelievable and infuriating, there's so much awareness now about leaving dogs in hot cars that even if you were completely thick you couldn't fail to see all the advice that's online/social media etc, there was a dog left in the car in my local supermarket car park this morning, they had parked in the shade so presume thought that was 'grand', I left a note on the car 'dogs DIE (underlined) in hot cars' resisted adding 'you stupid f*****g twat' I was sooo mad I'm considering printing off some posters and asking the local shops to put them in the window

I was getting pretty sick of seeing such warnings all over facebook over the last few weeks but clearly the message still needs to be rammed down people's throats.

Took charlie to the beach this evening after it cooled down (now there's sand all over the house :rolleyes:), haven't seen him as excited on a walk in a long while, he suddenly became a real water baby :p much to my (previously clean) car's annoyance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I noticed a bit of staining around peaches mouth this eve but thought nothing of it, thought maybe she had drank some water with the heat today, but just went to check on them after being out for the evening and she's covered in drool and a little blood, tongue popping out, didn't touch her dinner and is screaming in pain when I tried to open her mouth to see was something wrong :( vets first thing in the morning I think. My poor princess :(

I noticed a bit of staining around peaches mouth this eve but thought nothing of it, thought maybe she had drank some water with the heat today, but just went to check on them after being out for the evening and she's covered in drool and a little blood, tongue popping out, didn't touch her dinner and is screaming in pain when I tried to open her mouth to see was something wrong :( vets first thing in the morning I think. My poor princess :(

Ah no. Please let us know how you get on.

She looks a wee bit brighter in herself this morning but there's more staining and blood than there was last night so my mam is going to bring her to the vets. Going to be worrying for the day at work!!

Edit: mam just back from the vet with her, she has an infected ulcer on her tongue :( I have no idea how it happened but at least she has antibiotics and painkillers in her now!

• Advertisement

Awww, poor peach, hope she recovers quickly.

mymo wrote: »
    Awww, poor peach, hope she recovers quickly.

I hope so too, but of course me being the worrysome cat mother I am can't help worrying that it's a sign of FIV or FeLV. Vet said if it hasn't healed in 2 weeks then he will run the bloods!

Whispered wrote: »
    We are ok thanks. I rang the SPCA again who suggested I call the warden, so I did. Maybe a warning from him will help them realise they need to look after their dog.

Well the warden didn't call out or else they didn't listen as he just ran out in front of my husband as he drove into the estate. :mad:

(didn't hit him, going very slowly)

We found a missing dog and managed to reunite him with his family this afternoon:) I saw his photo on our local facebook last night and we spotted him at the local shopping centre when we were there. Was a nightmare as no tags on the dog and no contact number on facebook. But we posted that we had him and were we were at the shopping centre. In the meantime Mr P bought him 2 bowls, a tin of dog food and a litre of water, poor dog was starved and very thirsty.

He's a big lad with thick fur and he was covered in those stickle back balls. He got a fright in all the thunder we had last night. 1 thing I can't understand is all the people who were posting last night that they'd seen him, but did nothing. Jesus, if they'd let him into their gardens and posted that they'd found him he'd have been home within the hour last night. We couldn't just leave him, you don't know what some people are capable of these days.

I knew the area he was missing from and had begun to think we were going to have to walk him down to that estate and go door to door. I'd to take the strap off my handbag and use it as a collar, with Mr P's belt attached as a leash to stop him running off :D

Peach is milking it with the whole being sick thing. She's being very clingy and wanting to sit on everyone's lap, but she can't groom herself so she's shedding all over everyone. Also was having a bit of difficulty eating dinner, ate one or two bits of softened dry food, ate a teeny chunk of her wet food and wouldn't even look at the ID food... but I gave her some metacam for the pain, and she's after wolfing down half of a really smushed up sea bass fillet :D

Peach is milking it with the whole being sick thing. She's being very clingy and wanting to sit on everyone's lap, but she can't groom herself so she's shedding all over everyone. Also was having a bit of difficulty eating dinner, ate one or two bits of softened dry food, ate a teeny chunk of her wet food and wouldn't even look at the ID food... but I gave her some metacam for the pain, and she's after wolfing down half of a really smushed up sea bass fillet :D

Well you walked right into that one - I/D or sea bass?!?! A no brainer!! Hope Princess Peach is feeling better soon!! Did you name her after the nintendo character or to match Cream btw? :p

Would she lap up watered down ad food SM? Poor peaches hopefully she's feeling better soon.

Buntys not been well the past week, she started getting a bit fussy with her food which is normal enough for her but she was still eating, I gave her some of those tiny gourmet tins as a treat because I noticed she was a little thinner and put it down to her skipping a few meals. She's gotten very thin in the back and around her face the last two days iv really noticed it and since yesterday evening she's throwing up everything she eats :( iv given her plain chicken and it staying down so far and she's sleeping. I think a vet visit is in order on Monday, worried for her as she's 9, I hope they don't find anything sinister in her and it's just a tummy bug. She's never been this thin though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I love when a dog has a light bulb moment when you're teaching them something, you can almost hear the gears click into place as they realise they've got it. My malamute has always thrown her head back when she wants something, and it reminds me of a gansta, the head movement with the "wassup", I've always meant to try and get her to do it when asked, but finally got around to it today. It really didn't take long for her to work out what she was doing right to get the treat. :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    I love when a dog has a light bulb moment when you're teaching them something, you can almost hear the gears click into place as they realise they've got it. My malamute has always thrown her head back when she wants something, and it reminds me of a gansta, the head movement with the "wassup", I've always meant to try and get her to do it when asked, but finally got around to it today. It really didn't take long for her to work out what she was doing right to get the treat. :D

God talk to me about it. I've been recording the dogs for this trick dog title thing after doing a tricks workshop last year. We'd just gotten Lucy when we did it and she took over so only getting around to doing it now..because we're going to another workshop with the same guy tomorrow(!) and I wanted him to take a look at the vids before I submit them. I've one more command to record for Lucy but she's feeling very tired and lazy so desperately trying to get her to do the stuff so we're finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

so jealous tk, would love to go to a Nando workshop. One day :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement