Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroism In The Irish Defence Forces

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

According to the publisher it will be published in October. No explanation.

Looks interesting. I will be obtaining a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Dear Santa...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cft

For those interested. I've heard the book will be published later this year or early 2013.

Apparently the author has been writing it in addition to doing consultancy work which takes him overseas for extended periods. It promises to be a good read for those interested in the realities of life on active service with our military.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Looks interesting. Any guesses what will be in it? Jadotville?, private Paddy Kelly? Bomb squad etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Looks interesting. Any guesses what will be in it? Jadotville?, private Paddy Kelly? Bomb squad etc etc

He has already written a book about Jadotville. Interesting material but very badly written. It was full of acronyms and abbreviations with the time sequence jumped all over the place. Using abbreviations like Sgt. or Cpl. outside of the context of short internal communications is unnecessary and reduces readability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Most likely a lot of it is bollocks it wont have anything about the Battle of Op'Ras and the DSM's handed out to the wrong people who pissed themselves when the rounds were coming in.

Watered down tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Battle of Op'Ras

Have you got any link or text where I can read up on this? Not familiar with it (sorry im not military, just interested).

thanks,

James

it wont be in any books but look up DSM's awarded around that time.(1979/1980)

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/bitstream/10599/8881/3/Citations.pdf

As per usual officers lying and cover up's, the person who should have got it was ignored and intimidated by the corrupt officers at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Salvation wrote: »
    it wont be in any books but look up DSM's awarded around that time.(1979/1980)

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/bitstream/10599/8881/3/Citations.pdf

As per usual Officiers lying and cover up's, the person who should have got it was ignored and intimidated by the corrupt officiers at the time.

You've tickled my curiosity Salvation. Can you repost that link or post the document itself as an attachment? (If thats possible). When I click on the link it says 'PDF document failed to load'. My adobe is fully up to date before anyone asks!! :-)

There ye go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thanks for that mate. Works perfectly now. Fair play.

Advertisement