Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moylaragh - cracks

• 22-03-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I have a house in moylaragh which i purchased in 2003. Two years ago there seemed to be alot of settlement cracks within the house, usually in corners where walls meet timber and around the door frames. I contacted newlyn and they sent out an engineer to the house who said they were shrinkage cracks. He issued a report on this so i have it in writing.Newlyn agreed to replaster the cracks. However 2 years later the cracks have reappeared. I'm just a bit worried about them, even though they don't appears to be structural. I've heard this has happened in alot of the houses. Then i received the letter from the martello tower residents saying they had the same problems.
    Has anyone else come accross these problems? How did you get rid of the cracks in the end? I can't afford to keep replastering every few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you could try posting this over in the construction forum as they could supply you with a more permannet solution

• Registered Users Posts: 6 medee

i will do thanks, but i just wanted to see if other people are having the same problems within the estate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

Hi,

Moylaragh resident here.

I am trying to address the problems with landscaping as you may have seen from the other post.

Regarding the cracks. Yes we seem to have them. We have cracks in the ceiling/door frames etc. Also problems with ventilation. The patio back door is always wet with condensation. I am in the missle of addressing the mould it has caused aroud the door frame.

Its all more money to fix up what wasnt done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

You may not remember :D but the winter of 2003 was very wet. I'm reliably informed that the timber frame houses in Balbriggan were constructed in haste and weren't given enough time to dry out before sealing to the elements. Apparently it can take up to 10 years for the frames to dry out hence the cracks upon cracks.

Your best bet would be to leave them for a while and stop replastering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bengy68

medee wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a house in moylaragh which i purchased in 2003. Two years ago there seemed to be alot of settlement cracks within the house, usually in corners where walls meet timber and around the door frames. I contacted newlyn and they sent out an engineer to the house who said they were shrinkage cracks. He issued a report on this so i have it in writing.Newlyn agreed to replaster the cracks. However 2 years later the cracks have reappeared. I'm just a bit worried about them, even though they don't appears to be structural. I've heard this has happened in alot of the houses. Then i received the letter from the martello tower residents saying they had the same problems.
    Has anyone else come accross these problems? How did you get rid of the cracks in the end? I can't afford to keep replastering every few years.
    Yes I also live in Moylaragh same thing loads of cracks in walls door frames etc.. Homebond told me to contact builder and if i didnt get response to contact them so basically im looking at big ugly cracks every day. Time for a residents commitee in Moylaragh to sort these issues out just like they did in Martello

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Martello things didn't all get sorted either and to get things sorted some people were involved in legal action against the builders.
    There is a good residents association though and I am sure they would be happy to meet with yours and discuss issues.
    The more people that get back to newlyn with issues the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MommaDeuxx

Hi
    I am a resident of Moylaragh in Balbriggan for the last 5 years and our house was brand new when we bought it from Newlyn Developments. We have had serious cracks and plaster falling from our ceilings. The crack are big enough to fit a finger in and in some cases a hand. My stairs are falling away from the walls and the spindles in my banisters fell out. I have 2 children a 3 year old and a 2 year old. This is extremely dangerous and very upsetting :mad: . This is our first home. I am in contact with the builders and Homebond at the moment.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problems? :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,102 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Hi Folks

From a Building Surveyors point of view there is the possibility of settlement possibly differential? What is the landscape like in the estate (sorry I'm not familiar with it) plastering over the cracks can be a case of out of sight out of mind which is ok for the short term but long term this will not "repair" it so to speak.

focus_mad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What are the floors and kitchen like?

Houses in Rush which were built around that time have Pyrite. Have just found this information
    spacer.gif What is pyrite?
    Pyrite is a mineral found in the broken stone used as fill under the concrete foundation slabs in house basements. It oxidizes in the presence of moisture and oxygen, causing the stone fill to swell and the foundation slab to lift and crack. The resulting damage can be significant.
    The residents in Rush, Tayleurs Point have had to move out of their houses. The main problem was with the floor and when it rained they moved and doors and kitchen press would not close and became lobsided. I sincerley hope this is not what is causing your problems. They are covered by insurance and would your houses not be covered by homebond?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

medee wrote: »
    Hi,

I went to look at some of the very first showhouses in this estate. We very nearly tried to buy the very first big corner house on the left hand side as you pass through the roundabout. The thing that struck me at the time was that there was absolutely nothing else built in the estate at the time. A VERY short time later, loads of completed houses seemed to have been thrown up. I don't think I would be ott in saying this estate in particular was built way too quickly and I'm sure mistakes were made along the way. I'm particularly glad we didn't end up going for a showhouse as I'd say the plaster was barely dry before they were sticking up the 'show' curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

LeoB wrote: »
    What are the floors and kitchen like?

Houses in Rush which were built around that time have Pyrite. Have just found this information
    spacer.gif What is pyrite?
    Pyrite is a mineral found in the broken stone used as fill under the concrete foundation slabs in house basements. It oxidizes in the presence of moisture and oxygen, causing the stone fill to swell and the foundation slab to lift and crack. The resulting damage can be significant.
    The residents in Rush, Tayleurs Point have had to move out of their houses. The main problem was with the floor and when it rained they moved and doors and kitchen press would not close and became lobsided. I sincerley hope this is not what is causing your problems. They are covered by insurance and would your houses not be covered by homebond?

I'd also like to point out that a couple of houses in chieftains have been vacated due to this problem. I hope it's not something that ends up becoming a recurring problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 susietwirler

I think its pyrite, there have been houses confirmed as having pyrite in moylaragh. contact homebond and ask them to send someone out and test for pyrite in your house, send them photos of the cracks if you can. Its a serious problem, the residents are in the process of trying to form a committee t do something about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi ya, martello have a great residence association.I know they are having a clean up Martello day on Saturday (at 11 I think) and ask for Dan, hell fill you in or point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fitzgeraldanna

Is there any further progress on organising a moylaragh residents committee meeting to address the issues mentioned in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ravenswell in Rush the latest estate to be hit with Pyrite.

Hope ye can get it sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 susietwirler

theres a meeting tonight in the hamlet at 8, I'l post an update after that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 medee

hi,

i didn't get a letter re this meeting, was it sent to everyone in Moylaragh? I have asked other residents and they know nothing about a Pyrite problem in the estate. I had heard about a problem further up in Chieftain's way but nothing about Moylaragh. Surely if there was a meeting organised it would have been advertised around the estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    Ravenswell in Rush the latest estate to be hit with Pyrite.

Hope ye can get it sorted

Seems to be very common. A friend of mine that lives in Kildare had the same problem. He could only close his front and back door, every other door was so off line that the only possible way to close them would be to plane down the door. The corner of each room had cracks running from the bottom to top as did the tops of each door frame.

Fortunately the terrace he lives on came to agreement with the builder and they did repair work while each resident family took turns moving into an empty house the builder owned on the terrace. Basically they dig out the old foundation and relay a new one under the house but they still don't know if that will work. The legal case against the cement company is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 In shock!

Hi folks,

I have a house let out in Moylaragh Way, I made euquiries about selling it and found out about the pyrite issue, Can anybody tell what is the best way to get the house tested for pyrite and the cost?

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Ull need to go through a structural engineer.The is a resistance association in modular agh which are dealing with the pyrite problem.An engineers report will cost between €1500-€2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Id say contact the residence association.They are very pro active.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I am currently considering buying in Moylaragh on Moylaragh Road and was wondering if this issue was still ongoing?

The pyrite problem will always be there.There are a lot of houses in moylaragh that have no problem with pyrite(mine included).If I was buying I'd ask the seller to produce an enginners report stating the house was clear of pyrite.Don't just take there word

Umpalumpa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    The pyrite problem will always be there.There are a lot of houses in moylaragh that have no problem with pyrite(mine included).If I was buying I'd ask the seller to produce an enginners report stating the house was clear of pyrite.Don't just take there word

Umpalumpa
    Technically the pyrite degrades over time so there will come a point where the damage will stop increasing.

It's always good policy to have a structural engineer examine any property in a pyrite prone area before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

Eoineo wrote: »
    Technically the pyrite degrades over time so there will come a point where the damage will stop increasing.

It's always good policy to have a structural engineer examine any property in a pyrite prone area before purchasing.

just dont buy in the area if there is pyrite . It would be madness to do so .

http://www.facebook.com/PyriteAction

• Registered Users Posts: 2 In shock!

Newonhere wrote: »
    I am currently considering buying in Moylaragh on Moylaragh Road and was wondering if this issue was still ongoing?

I think you should call me on <mod snip - PM only> as I was speaking to an estate agent re selling a property in Moylaragh!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

Umpalumpa wrote: »

Umpalumpa

hi, i just saw your old post re pyrite in Moylaragh
    We are thinking to buy in Moylaragh Drive, could you please tell us your expereince & suggestions
    Regards

Moylaragh is a fine place to live.ive been here for 8 years without any problems.
    Have you checked with the owners if they have pyrite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

Thanks for prompt reply
    Yes i talked to owners n they said there is no pyrite to their knowledge. Of course they will say that as they have to sell it. But they cant take any liability. They havent done any pyrite test as it cost too much

Advertisement