Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unable to continue studies

• 13-05-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i wont be able to return to college next year because of family and finacial circumstances. i dont want to drop out since ive only one year left so i am wondering whether i can continue my degree from home. is this possible?

Thanks
    Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Talk to your tutor, who's the best person to advise you. You might be able to go off-books for a year, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

i wont be able to return to college next year because of family and finacial circumstances. i dont want to drop out since ive only one year left so i am wondering whether i can continue my degree from home. is this possible?

Thanks
    Neil
    Hi Neil,
    Generally, I don't think you can. You might be able to get an ordinary degree depending on your course. As always with these things, do get in touch with your College Tutor, they'll be able to help you. There might be some financial assistance available from somewhere, maybe ask the education/welfare officer.
    Hope things work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeilofOrange

by tutor, do you mean head of the department?
    if i can continue my assignments from home, why would my attendance affect my grade?

neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Log into TCD Portal and check your information. It will say who your tutor is there.
    You should contact Luisa the Welfare officer. There is a student hardship fund available.

Help is always available for these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeilofOrange

thank you but my son has developed a life threatening illness which requires i remain at home with him until he recieved treatment in december. it will require my full time committment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'd say the college will completely understand then.
    Here it has information on going off the books. You need to fill out this form and apply to the senior lecturer through your tutor. From the looks of that page it looks like you could go off the books and still sit the exams but you might be best to take the year out if that's what you want.

Hope it all works out for you and your son!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

by tutor, do you mean head of the department?
    if i can continue my assignments from home, why would my attendance affect my grade?

neil

By your tutor, I mean the member of academic staff who was assigned as your mentor from the time you entered first year. If you look up your academic record online (http://isservices.tcd.ie/portal) their name and contact information should be on it. But you should also contact the Welfare Officer and your head of department, and get something arranged between the lot of them.

My best wishes for your son as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Believe me, these people when they hear what is at stake here will help you.

I got a 24 hour bug last week and missed an exam then discovered who my tutor was for the first time. He had no problem doing the mundane task of making the supplementals my first sitting. Small potatoes to him, important to me.

Notify the tutor, notify the course director.
    Not because you have to under some dumbass paragraph somewhere, but because they actually will assist.

I hope you're back here soon telling me about your son's recovery.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I suggest you take a year out and return to college when your son is better and you can focus on your studies again. I think the stress of doing your finals while caring for your son won't do you any favours. Also, completing your degree without attending any classes for your final year probably isn't realistic. College won't have a problem letting you take a year (or more) out and returning where you left off. As everyone has said, contact your tutor.

Advertisement