Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for the national social work panel

• 13-02-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I have graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a MSW in June and came home to Ireland to live, I am currently working as a project worker with Focus Ireland. The process of applying for social work positions is very different over here and I am finding it very difficult to get information about applying for the national social work panel for work. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please... where to apply for the panel interview and how this works!

Thanks for any advice ye can give. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've never heard of a national social work panel: I'd have thought that each employer would have their own. Hopefully this post will give it a bump and someone who knows will reply.

But, until you've been living in the Republic for at least three of the last five years, I suspect that a lot of the non-government agencies won't even look at you. Many of them have published criteria that say they won't even bother applying for garda vetting unless you meet this.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭layviae

Eva25 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a MSW in June and came home to Ireland to live, I am currently working as a project worker with Focus Ireland. The process of applying for social work positions is very different over here and I am finding it very difficult to get information about applying for the national social work panel for work. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please... where to apply for the panel interview and how this works!

Thanks for any advice ye can give. :)

if you join the irish association of social workers they send out emails around employment oppertunities
    (ive received quite a few over the last few days) they also advise when a panel is interviewing. there was one run in may and people are only just being offered perment positions now as their was a delay in offering perment positions
    for some reason.
    theres geneally about 3 panels interviewed for a year but i think they only interviewed in feb and may last year and there was no september panel
    best of luck finding a job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The social work panel saga..yes, it does exist but information about it can be scarce! Trying to find info on it when I graduated was hard; the uni provided us with nothing and most people only heard about 'the panel' by accident.

FYI Just Mary and anyone else who hasn't heard of it, the social work panel was and maybe still is how you get jobs in the HSE or any 'statutory' type job (children and families, child protection, fostering and adoption, medical, mental health etc). You apply by listing where you want to be posted and in what fields, and when you have an interview to get on the panel, you are listed 1-100, or whatever, in the region you chose. However since CORU is now the registering body you might want to contact the IASW to be correct you are applying to the right place. I dont live in Ire anymore so not as up to date as I would like but start by contacting IASW and CORU

Apply to agencies as well, OP; a lot of SW in my class got jobs through TTM.ie, especially those who didnt apply for the panel on time! And remember the voluntary organisations who hire through regular CV and interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

There used to be several ( I think 11) Health Boards that covered the Republic and they each had their own recruitment arrangements. A few years ago they were amalgamated into the HSE and for the past 2 or 3 years recruitment has been centralised. There was an interview and complicated application procedure aimed at 2011 graduates and a panel, ie a list of people who were considered appointable was drawn up. However there is now an embargo which means that every few people on the panel have in practise been offered jobs. I think there are a couple of agencies who place social worker to cover maternity leave etc. Your best bet is probably the voluntary sector. Focus Ireland is a well known organisation and is a bonus on your CV. The new Child Protection adn Welfare Agency will be set up in 2013. My guess is that they probably wont recruit in the first 6 months as it will take a while for them to identify where the vacancies are. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28 simon-king

keep an eye on the HSE website as they advertise there http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/

The panel should pop up at some stage this year.

it might be an idea to start preparing some answers for the application now as it is quite lengthy.

As far as I know questions are very similar each year. Last years application (as a guide)looked for examples from your experience of:

1. Planning & Organising Skills
    2. Commitment to Providing a Quality Service
    3. Evaluating Information and Judging Situations
    4. Team Skills
    5. Professional Knowledge
    (Please describe in detail an example of an intervention you have undertaken with a client with complex needs).

The following format is to be used for each answer:

(a) the nature of the task, problem or objective;
    (b) what you actually did and how you demonstrated the skill or quality (and, where appropriate, the date you demonstrated it);
    (c) the outcome or result of the situation and your estimate of the proportion of credit you can claim for the outcome.

Also with your NQSW you can apply for a probation officer post. The last time they recruited was 2008 as far as I know so keep an eye on their website also http://www.probation.ie/pws/WebSitePublishingdec09.nsf/content/Careers

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 simon-king

also I think CPL are the main agency for social work jobs at the moment ... you might get something while waiting for the panel http://www.cplhealthcare.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gearoil

Hi, I hope at this point you have secured a social work postion. I returned from the UK in August and continue in my search to secure a position. CPL are the only agency HSE can recruit from for temps, other than that it is waiting for the panel. You can register your interest with HSE, recruitment which are based in Manor Hamilton, who will in turn notify you of any panels being set up.
    There appear to be some temp. social work positions however very slow to be filled mainly due to funding I suspect because its more expensive for them to have an agency worker than one from the panel.
    I agree that the removal of children's services from HSE in January may highlight the true vaciencies, however this will take time and I suspect you will be unlikely to see further panels being created until well into 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Elaine7605

Thanks for this info... finding it really tough to get 'paid' work since graduation :(

Hi Elaine,
    There is another site you could register with called Publicjobs.ie, which might be of use. There is a social work position (perm) being sought in Clare if thats of any use, thats with the HSE.
    Good luck it is really hard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Elaine7605

Thanks Gearoil, I've registered with these guys now, also Careerjet and many other agencies! I've been volunteering for a couple of community-based organisations for a few months now.... think this is the way to go to get the experience under the belt (so many employers won't touch the 'academics' that don't have the hands on experience.... arrrrgh!) Where is the supposed €35mil that the HSE are hanging on to for the recruitment of more social workers... hmmmm? Hope your job hunt going well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 marber1978

Hi there

I am a PQSW for the last 8 years... The panel system is a bit of a nightmare in my opinion.. I took a post off it a couple of years ago and when I went to reapply to a later panel (to keep my options open should I wish to move jobs in future) I was advised I was never again eligible to apply for the panel, as I had already taken a position from it, and that the purpose was for new recruitment only, not for transfers within the HSE... I would have no difficulty with this if there existed another mechanism to change jobs... But there isn't..

IMPACT were supposed to be in the process of setting up a national transfer service, but this appears to have gone by the way side...

Manor hamilton have snottily advised that the only way of moving is by approaching a prospective Principal and simultaneously seeking approval to be released by your existing Principal... But of course no Principals are going to approve this as they aren't getting any replacement workers...

Apologies, I know this thread was originally from a graduate re getting onto the panel, best of luck in getting onto it.. Interviews in my experience v general, just know the examples you give inside out! I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else is in my boat? Have you come up with any solutions???

I would love to go part time as I have a baby.. But no can do in current post :((((

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Its a nightmare alright Marber1978. I've been in Child Protection for 9 years and could really do with a change and getting out - have felt on the cusp of burnout for about a year now. Requested a transfer, as have many colleagues - total waste of time, HR oblivious to it. This year alone we have seen 4 - 5 new grads come off panel straight into permanent CAMHS, fostering and medical positions in this HSE area.

Now, what I am about to say wont go down well with the new grads, but i really think that those positions should first be offered to those that need (note: need not want) transfers out of CP, and the resulting CP vacancies offered to those on the panel. PSW's wont admit it, but they want to keep the experienced SW's and not loose them for new grads in CP. Hence its impossible - management are not interested in supporting an actual transfer system for the above reason. There is lots of resentment when we see very newly qualified SW's get coveted positions without (in a sense) 'serving their time'.

Yip, I totally understand that new grads reading this will likely be saying 'shut-up you with your permanent job'. I truly feel for you and the position you find yourself in. My reply is primarily aimed at the last poster and is my ongoing experience and that of many of my colleagues.

I hear ya cutymonalisa...

So frustrating.. I'm in cp as well, honestly wouldn't mind staying on for the moment in it if I could only go part time.. But no flexibility whatsoever..

Any update re this magical national transfer system??

Interestingly I saw yesterday from the HSE website that there is a new OT panel coming up.. And they ARE allowed to apply to move geographic locations .. Why Cant we if they can??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Well, I've heard rumours that there will be a new national panel in March! Highly sceptical tbh, especially with the new agency pushed back until March now. Even if it happens (which I doubt) it may well be the case again that those already permanent wont be able to apply - i'd say they'll try it but there will be uproar if they do.

Those nice people in Manorhamilton could also do with learning some manners too, however I digress :rolleyes:

All the very best in your quest to get part-time, hang in there and hope it works out for you.

Best of luck to you too.. Cp can be so hard, especially after that length of time, hope it all works out x

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭super hands

Hi guys, just had a quick read over this thread, I have recently graduated as a social care worker and have been applying for positions, I currently have a job as a care staff and am very worried about getting a new job but have to move on as I spent 3 year's studying and don't want it to goto waste, I have an interview coming up but on the email it says permanent social care worker (panel basis) can anyone shed light on what panel basis is? I'm just very worried about leaving a safe job for something that may not be so SAFE!

Hope O.P has got sorted out with a job.

Regarding Social care workers. I would advise anyone offered a job from HSE not to hand in their notice until they have signed and returned a contract and got a starting date. I believe a few people were caught out about a year or so ago when the HSE ran out of money after offering people jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bonnie88

Hi did anyone hear apply for the panel and get through the video interview?

im in band A and would like to know if that means your on the panel and the interview is to assign a number on the panel or you are still not on the panel....what does band b mean?

Any help would be appreciated xxx

The way I understand it is that those in band a will be called for interview first and so be offered positions in the area and locations of choice befor these in band b .
    I have to say that I was very concerned with how the whoe process has worked and have huge questions about how they reached the decisions. I got band a also, but do not think it has been at all fair way of judging someone's knowledge and there appears to be very little information around on what they have based their criteria on.? I really hope they do not use this system as it is so unfair. I hold out very little hope as to hearing anything soon re the issues I know have been raised about it

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lbouyle48

Did any one hav face to face interview yet??good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 joemooney81

Hi all, I did my face to face interview last week, just received my results letter today but not sure how well I did or what to expect, if anything, now!!

Anyone any idea how many are on existing panels or how many new panel entrants after recent face to face interviews??

Don't know whether to be delighted or annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lady1984

Hi all, I did my face to face interview last week, just received my results letter today but not sure how well I did or what to expect, if anything, now!!

Anyone any idea how many are on existing panels or how many new panel entrants after recent face to face interviews??

Don't know whether to be delighted or annoyed!

Firstly you did really well to get on panel well done! It depends on area... Areas in Dublin would have a higher number on panel so for example if you got position 20 on a Dublin area panel it would be simular to being number 5 on country panel. So it's hard to tell how long it will take unless you know how many posts are needed in the area you chose. I doubt there is many left in previous panel as I know in some areas that there are no one available on existing panel to take post. Maybe call manorhamilton tomorrow or email them. It may take a few months on some areas for jobs to be out out but busier areas will possibly be offering in next few weeks ...

I don't know how helpful that is and I know it's nerve wracking waiting and not knowing

There is another forum on this which people are actively discussing panel interviews ect it's titled "social work panel 2013" have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

I know this may sound a bit stupid but does anyone have an opinion or idea of when the panel could open up next I'm doing my masters in social work and will hopefully finish in April 2015. I'm praying the panel opens as I don't really want to move to the uk for work anyone shed some light on this?

Roberta88 wrote: »
    I know this may sound a bit stupid but does anyone have an opinion or idea of when the panel could open up next I'm doing my masters in social work and will hopefully finish in April 2015. I'm praying the panel opens as I don't really want to move to the uk for work anyone shed some light on this?

They usually recruit every 2 years so there should be one the year you graduate. 😄

Lady1984 wrote: »
    They usually recruit every 2 years so there should be one the year you graduate. 😄

Aw brill thanks so much I thought it was every 3 or 4 years don't feel so crap about it now :)

Gordan Jeyes is promoting the idea of a one year contract on lower pay for new social workers with no guarantee of a permanent job. I would have thought that the colleges would keep students informed of this. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-200-social-work-posts-vacant-as-child-referrals-increase-1.1672805

bisset wrote: »
    Gordan Jeyes is promoting the idea of a one year contract on lower pay for new social workers with no guarantee of a permanent job. I would have thought that the colleges would keep students informed of this. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-200-social-work-posts-vacant-as-child-referrals-increase-1.1672805

Well I've heard from inside sources that one it hasn't been approved and two more than likely it won't be approved

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bissetviewpost.gif
    Gordan Jeyes is promoting the idea of a one year contract on lower pay for new social workers with no guarantee of a permanent job. I would have thought that the colleges would keep students informed of this. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...ease-1.1672805

Well I've heard from inside sources that one it hasn't been approved and two more than likely it won't be approved
    user_offline.png
    I think most people in the profession would be hoping that it does not go through but I would be worried that it will be established in some way. From what I've heard Child and Family senior staff would like to go back to local recruitment and they may be better able to do this now that it is a separate agency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement