Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAIX MILITARY BOOTS IRISH ARMY ISSUE

• 17-11-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Picked up a pair of these Hiax boots,Any one use these for hunting and are they any good(waterproof etc).Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

243Xpress wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of these Hiax boots,Any one use these for hunting and are they any good(waterproof etc).Thanks

Watetproof yes, comfortable yes, ancle support not great though as they are designed for running in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Iv tried about five pairs of different branded boots from Cabelas.They all eventually leaked.Last pair were irish setter and again left in water.Mentioned to a friend that i was going to buy a pair of meindl boots and he said he had these sitting in his shed and to try them.Hopefully the Hiax will keep my feet dry.

Iv tried about five pairs of different branded boots from Cabelas.They all eventually leaked.Last pair were irish setter and again left in water.Mentioned to a friend that i was going to buy a pair of meindl boots and he said he had these sitting in his shed and to try them.Hopefully the Hiax will keep my feet dry.

I've worm them in Wicklow hills, Cavan and Leitrim hills. Dry as a cork.

Sole is very soft so road walking wears them out quick.
    They are nice and warm too.
    I wear them with gaitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I've worm them in Wicklow hills, Cavan and Leitrim hills. Dry as a cork.

Sole is very soft so road walking wears them out quick.
    They are nice and warm too.
    I wear them with gaitors.

spot on there on both posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

i wear them too at times with gaitors often crossed dikes with them and bone dry good job!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

The proper military issue are different to the civi version, there a heavy but good boot if looked after.
    WF

The proper military issue are different to the civi version, there a heavy but good boot if looked after.
    WF
    Its the military ones that iv got.Looking forward to trying them out Sat morning(Deer stalking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i wear them had them on there 2weeks ago when out foxing with kildarehmr we went through streams and waterlogged fields and they kept me nice and dry and they are high leg so if you stuck a pair of gators on aswell they should be good to go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

it seems they are prized by quite a lot of other armed forces, it seems the irish army being small get good quality kit, as it is more affordable for them than say the uk or us as with large numbers cost has a large bearing on such items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I can't stand the Haix when out on the ground, find them too heavy and there is very little give around the ankle and further up the shins, which for me leads to a lot of discomfort, especially walking up any gradient. But as far as being waterproof, 2 nights out in the Glen this time last year in the rain and I never got my feet wet. And they are warm too.

Meindls or Lowes are meant to be great and far superior to the Haix so I hear.

But then again other people like them! Whatever your comfortable with I suppose!

• Advertisement

id take a pair of meindls over them anyday,i have a 11yearold pair of meindls that are still in great nick and waterproof even though they get alot of abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

The haix boot is probably the best all rounder on the market , for a field boot. It is important to remember that when the DF procure boots they need an off the shelf boot that ticks all the boxes for 90%+ of the PDF. The issue of weight is not a great argument because if you wear the boots often enough it becomes a non issue. The weight issue is also dealt with by the light weight barrack boot.
    No doubt that mendil, Lowa, hanwag, all produce excellent boots,(I have mendils myself) But for large scale procurements it would be hard to beat haix.
    Remember also no one is going to knock boots they went out and bought themselves, especially when they left their haix back in their locker.!
    Also look at troops going on the ground not many buy their own boots any more, a far cry from 10 years ago.
    My mendils now need re-soleing am I going to get them done ?? Nope because I have haix.

Out this morning in the torrents of rain and feet bone dry.Love these boots.

Out this morning in the torrents of rain and feet bone dry.Love these boots.
    The best thing the Army ever gave it's troops.

The make a lovely pair in brown leather.

Deer Santy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

The best thing the Army ever gave it's troops.

The make a lovely pair in brown leather.

Deer Santy.....

Where can I lay my hands on a pair of these guys??

buy them over the net,ihavntseen them in shops here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Any links?
    Thanks

liam7831 wrote: »
    Any links?

http://www.haix-bootstore.com/clearance-boots
    Just google it and there are a load of links:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

liam7831 wrote: »
    Where can I lay my hands on a pair of these guys??

Join the Defence Forces:D;)

Join the Defence Forces:D;)
    Some hope with all the barracks closing,,,:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

The HAIX are an alright boot; ye their by far the best boot the army ever put on general issue but their no mendil.
    The big letdown with the HAIX is the stupid fastening eyes on them. With the hooks on the likes on mendil you can get theboot good and tight and give yourself good ankle support but with the closed eyes, ESP the ones at the ankle position, on the HAIX you can't tighten the boot properally and hence you won't have as good ankle support as the mendil. The soles are softer than mendil which has advantages and disadvantages but overall personally I prefer a harder sole.
    A lot of lads that have Mendils will have either the army pro or army gore (I had the army pro) and I reckon their the best boot you can get but I also have a pair of Mendils that look practically the same as the HAIX except for the hooks, and it's the hooks that really do make that massive difference (by the way, these type of mendil can only be got abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

No comparison between Meindls and Haix, Meindls will last for years, Haix will last a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Haix, was that what it was/is called, never liked them, felt to heavy, thick and loose.

What meindl version is a good/comfortable/light/waterproof boot? I have a pair of merrel boots nearly 9 years and they have stayed waterproof, sole is well worn though, looking for a new pair, have looked for a pair of boots for a while now in actual shops
    available online or shop

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

murph226 wrote: »
    No comparison between Meindls and Haix, Meindls will last for years, Haix will last a year!

just found this meindl boots https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?osCsid=be75a54f06b7e193a51a02f31f2ebc16&manufacturers_id=17
    free shipping to ROI for orders over €50

Great outdoors do a 10% discount for Defence Forces members aswell.

The soles on the Meindls can be replaced when they are worn out.

Lowa combat boots are supposed to be great too, I'd like to try a pair but I have another few years left in the Meindls;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

foxboy wrote: »
    just found this meindl boots https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?osCsid=be75a54f06b7e193a51a02f31f2ebc16&manufacturers_id=17
    free shipping to ROI for orders over €50

Just looking at the boots and prices, pity they dont show more images (like of the sole/grip) of the boots.
    Know if their sales are mentioned online? or when they are?

google image vibram multigriff, that is the sole that they use.

They are expensive to buy initially, but when you think how long they last they are very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brixworkwear

Sorry to join the party late, had a bit of a hectic week here. Most Haix are made from a 2.2 thick leather so from a durability stand point the are top notch. All the haix boots we sell come with a two year guarantee provided you look after them (dont force dry them and throw a bit of water and polish at them every once in a while) and almost all the parts on a haix boot are replaceable/ repairable not just the sole. you can check out their service here. that is the us blurb but they do it in Germany as well.

Waterproofness is covered by a goretex membrane. If you look inside the boot you will see a grey lining that is the goretex sock. you might as well be wearing a wellington up to that point. It works by making the holes in the membrane so small water will not get in but big enough to let water vapour out.

Heat wise there is a climate system in the boot that will push the hot water vapour laden air into the tongue and out of the holes at the top of the tongue it then draws dry cool air in at the holes in the collar. it works almost like a bellows every time you step.

Sole unit wise they make different soles for different jobs almost all have arch support built in some are vibram and some are filled with lower weight heat resistant materials, some are hard street wear some are soft for hunting you can read about them here

@Local-womanizer I don't know how often you have worn them but you really do need to break them in it took me 1.5 -2 weeks of constant wear to break mine (Montana). At the start it did hurt up round the shins but now it really is like walking on clouds all day long.

@Tackleberrywho that brown pair is the Montana don't write Santa write me and we will look after you. I can't do free but ill give you a good discount. also if you check the blog it would not be the first time Paul gave away a pair of Montana.

@liam7831 we sell them on line and there are a couple of other suppliers in the uk. (I can look after you too but don't tell everyone)

@bazza888 we sell them out of Monaghan I think there is a guy in Wicklow as well but I think he just does tenders I'm not sure.

@doyle61 As for the hooks vrs the eyelets the Irish army asked for the eyelets specificly so haix made them that way there are pleanty of other Haix boots that have the hooks, most in fact.

@murph226 2 year guarantee with us.

@Merch if you want a light weight tight fitting boot you need to go non safety and you should take a look at the GSG9. it was designed by swat teams in America and Germany.

I'm not here to start any rows just posting what I believe . I would also like to avoid any internet arguments at all costs. but I do enjoy a good discussion.;)

I've seen them plenty first hand, doesn't matter what thickness they are they are soft!

Even after light barrack use they wear very easily.

They have no ankle support either.

I would prefer to use a boot that I know won't fail over something soft with a guarantee anyday!
    Having to go back to a shop with something that has failed for warranty work or replacement is a pain in the ass in my book!

I'll sick with the Meindls thanks:)

p.s. anyone know what kind of guarantee Meindl give?

• Advertisement
Advertisement