Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashtown on Joe Duffy NOW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Alexa Wet Droplet

A pit bull that is not kept under control should be killed.
    Ashtown Pound are being irresponsible in returning these dogs to their owners. They should be put down. I am only writing about pit bulls not Alsatians or Huskies.

I speak as a dog owner and dog lover and someone who likes PBTs. It is like leaving a gun lying around where a kid can get at it.

You speak as a WHAT?..

***edited the rest. I'm not rising to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I have sent Joe an email and linked to this thread. I basically said that all a breed is, is an extended family of dogs that look similar and are related.
    If a person went to jail for a crime, their extended family (and anyone who looks similar to them) wouldn't get a sentence aswell. But with dogs, if one Staffie bites, then all other Staffies, and dogs that look like Staffies, must be vicious too, apparently.
    With these dogs it's like they are guilty til proven innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

Vel wrote: »
    Lily,

Are you just focusing your campaign on this pound and the treatment of the restricted breeds alone or the awful conditions and treatment of dogs in pounds in general?
    hi val im sure every1 has a different issue with these pounds yes i do fight BSL i also believe an animal should be dealt with compassion regardless of what breed they are i am focusing on the awful conditions and treatment of dogs in pounds in general and this is just one of the issues that needs to be addresses along with the rest of them about these breeds being put to sleep just because they happen to be a certon breed even little 8 week old puppys that have never done nothing in their life i dont like whats going on i dont like the way these dogs all breeds are being treated its not Wright and im willing to stand up and be counted

If you own a restricted breed and it is brought to a pound then you are not looking after it properly. A pit bull that is not kept under control should be killed.
    Ashtown Pound are being irresponsible in returning these dogs to their owners. They should be put down. I am only writing about pit bulls not Alsatians or Huskies.

I speak as a dog owner and dog lover and someone who likes PBTs. It is like leaving a gun lying around where a kid can get at it.

:eek: that’s far from the truth and a very unfair thing to say about a breed that has being victimized used by scum to intimidate people used as gambling tools and even used as bate this breed has being the victim of irresponsible owners little hard men and the public have being brain washed in relation to the true characteristic of this breed, pit bull have just a hand full of people trying to save their life every day because everybody seems to have the same attitude as yourself we have some rescues that wont give shelter because of the fear that has being put into them about this breed i have a Q for you have you ever owned a pit bull? have you ever researched this breed except listening to the false media reports because i can tell you i have owned this breed for 22 years i have never had a problem talking about profiling people by profiling their dog not all people who what to own this breed own it to fight them or want to feel like a hard man, i know i own mine because they are loving loyal clownish i could go on and on, your more than welcome to come and meet all 3 of my dogs and then make your mind up about them..

If you own a restricted breed and it is brought to a pound then you are not looking after it properly. A pit bull that is not kept under control should be killed.

:eek:

• Advertisement

It isn't the dog's fault that she is an affectionat loyal pitbull. but a pitbull is a dangerous dog. Jack Russell's bite PBT have better temeremants than JR) but the bite is annoying a pit bull's bite can be fatal.

i think you need to go and do some research read this a very good example of the way you are so far from the truth..

Ky. family's dog attacks, kills 6-week-old infant

January 19, 2008 @ 07:29 AM
    The Associated Press
    Herald-Dispatch.com
    LEXINGTON, Ky. — A family dog attacked and killed a sleeping 6-week-old baby in Lexington.

Witnesses told police the baby, later identified as Justin Mozer, was sleeping in a bedroom about 3:40 p.m. EST on Friday when a Jack Russell terrier attacked him, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

The family also owns a pit bull.

Police said the mother was bathing another child while Justin Mozer was sleeping in the same room as the dog, WKYT-TV in Lexington reported. Lexington police said the identity of the mother was not available Friday night.

The baby was taken to University of Kentucky Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death was not released Friday.

No charges were pending on Friday, Lexington police Lt. John Gensheimer said.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x808409177

so it was the other way round my friend the pit bull never bit any1 they would lick you to death but the little jrt that wouldn't harm a fly it just killed a 6 week old baby so do we not need to be responsible with all dogs you have just seen from the smallest to the largest of dogs can be fatal instead of labeling out what dog can kill they all can..

Any dog could kill. Even a little Chihuahua's jaws are big enough to savage a baby's throat. If they severed the main artery in your wrist you'd lose a serious amount of blood.

St. Bernards can get to 9 stone easily and are much stronger than your average person. But by Mountainyman's logic, they're not a Pit Bull, so they couldn't be dangerous.

And for the record, I have been snapped at by 3 dogs in my life.
    2 were Cocker Spaniels, 1 was a Jack Russell. Each time, I went to pet them (with owner's permission). I was at the same level as each one and was not being in any way aggressive to them. But these are "safe" dogs apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

Mountainyman ...... i just had to laugh at your small minded answer' you obviously havent a clue about APBT,s .... and i dont know were your getting your 99% scum ????? its people like you that should work for the papers ' they make it all up in there head :mad:
    come visit my home my kids and my house dog who is a pit and most of our foster dogs then see do you still say the same answer ....
    i can honestly swear that what they write about pitbulls is 99% untrue'

why dont you go meet some of our dogs before you tar us all with the same brush .....

hello guys i finaly made it on here ' Rachel :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just a point - when the suggestion came up originally of slating Ashtown Pound on Joe Duffy and in public, I voiced a concern that the whole argument would be derailed by misinformed members of the public going down the 'devil dogs deserve to die' route.

Here on this thread, mountainyman has managed to totally, completely and utterly derail this from a thread on the horrible conditions at Ashtown Pound to yet another argument about devil dogs.

Even the more level-headed of you are allowing yourselves be led down the path of fighting about deed not breed, instead of focusing on the problem, which is that Ashtown Pound is badly managed and unsuitable for any animal to stay in for any amount of time.

Instead we're back to 'any dog can kill anyone' and 'pit bull terriers are like loaded guns', and trust me, with the media and misinformed voices in a public forum, it's not a big step from that to 'The fella at Ashtown Pound is doing right by me if he's destroying devil dogs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was amazed by the attitude of the so called Vet who is paid by the council to inspect the pound. She was too gushing in her praise & raised real doubts as to her integrity.

As the pound gets €750,000 per year we should start a campaign to get a charity such as the Dogs Trust to run it on a no profit basis. It would be interesting to find out how they got the contract & when it due to be renewed.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I was amazed by the attitude of the so called Vet who is paid by the council to inspect the pound. She was too gushing in her praise & raised real doubts as to her integrity.

If it's the same vet that puts the dogs down, no wonder she's so happy, she's obviously earning a fortune. :mad:

She categorically said that she did not get involved in animal treatment but only inspection. If it could be proved that she does put down dogs then she would be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

Lets not turn the discussion to the DiD members, most of whom hate the managers attitude and policies.

DID has been covering for years what's going on in that pound, Mairt. Surely they must have noticed that the dogs weren't given the proper care and that the facilities are completely unsuitable for their purpose. You just need to go there once to see it.

I have just emailed the Dog's Trust. They spent €10 million on their first Irish shelter. I have suggested that they take over the pounds on a no profit basis.

Every time that there is an issue like this you lot break into your various fractions to fight your own cases. This is not an issue about dog breeds but about the conditions in Irish Pounds.

One day the animal lovers of Ireland might manage to unite for one minute then we can get something done. I appreciate that you are passionate & many do great work but by dividing you will lose. Think of the welfare of all dogs & lets try & really make a difference. I would strongly suggest that, those that can, gather real evidence like photos etc & then we make a concerted campaign.

For example if the vet appointed by the council to inspect ever put down Pound dogs then that would be pure dinamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

i think that all pounds should be prone to unannounced calls by an independant vet atleast 10 times a year ' and what they think of what they see should be made public ' there are worse pounds than the one named its just most of them do not allow volenteers in to help the dogs at all therefore the public do not get to see whats realy behind the closed doors ...
    the laws have to be changed immediately to protect these dogs ....
    there should be an equal set of rule standards for each pound

All of the above are desirable but none attainable. The Irish voters don't care & many of their own dogs are kept in worse conditions than the pound. The only way to improve things will be action by Charities - it won't be the ISPCA or action in the European Court.

Ashtown must make a profit so it is an attractive proposition to an animal charity.

Guys the Joe Duffy show is available to download from the RTE Liveline site.

Re. inspections of the pound, there was a Vet on the show who carries out inspections. She didn't tackle the alligations made by listeners re. the managers policies on the restricted breeds, nor did she make comment when he said it was at his discretion re. what dogs are PTS.

She was statisfied that the dogs have shelter, food and water. Anything there after wasn't in her remit.

There's one horrible description from an ex-employee who spoke about the distress caused to both staff and dogs when a dog was selected for killing (I don't use words like ''destroyed'' or ''pts'').

Joe asked if the dog knew it was about to be killed (his words this time) the girl said that they didn't know until (in spolier brackets because the description will be upsetting for some people)
    they reached the shed and then they'd see "five or six" dead dogs on the floor in front of them.

At this stage my blood was boiling, I was absolutely livid and a little upset/distressed.

Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Any link-i cant find the download!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Discodog wrote: »

Ashtown must make a profit so it is an attractive proposition to an animal charity.

What do you mean by this?:confused:

• Advertisement

Look at this poor creature's condition, and the bed he is given to sleep in

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=67826

Luckily someone gave him a lifeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also lab owners are not 99% scum.

And there it is, didn't take long to get to your real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

cowzerp wrote: »
    Any link-i cant find the download!!
    I couldnt find it either. Or from the link in Mairts post after yours but did eventually.

For anyone else that wants to listen, go to the link Mairt posted.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom.
    On the right at the bottom is a box with "Shows from the past week"
    Cllick on Wednesday and it will load in Real Player.

If you dont have Real Player, it will provide a link to download it.

Fair play to the callers for raising questions that needed answers.
    And fair play to Lilly! (I take it that was Lilly here?)

Beth wrote: »
    I couldnt find it either. Or from the link in Mairts post after yours but did eventually.

For anyone else that wants to listen, go to the link Mairt posted.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom.
    On the right at the bottom is a box with "Shows from the past week"
    Cllick on Wednesday and it will load in Real Player.

If you dont have Real Player, it will provide a link to download it.

Fair play to the callers for raising questions that needed answers.
    And fair play to Lilly! (I take it that was Lilly here?)

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm in work at the moment a jumping from browser to browser (and sometimes a little work).

And yes, thats our Lilly - isn't she deadly!.

Bambi wrote: »
    And there it is, didn't take long to get to your real problem.

You know what, I don't know if that guy is being serious or just trolling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Mairt wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up, I'm in work at the moment a jumping from browser to browser (and sometimes a little work).

And yes, thats our Lilly - isn't she deadly!.
    You're welcome. :)

Isnt that kind of work great ;) Paid to surf eh ;)

Yes, she's deadly, very good stuff raised

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Right so, email campaign anybody? :)

Great idea, but needs to be done asap. Could someone post an example of an email for others to copy, modify and send on. That way we're all getting the same message across.

Also, if it's there so others can just forward more people will be likely to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

During the show it was said that the pound has one of the highest rehoming rate in the country.
    Firstly, what the rehoming rate has to do with the pound conditions? does having a high rehoming rate justify the unsuitable way the dogs are kept?
    Secondly, of course Ashton has the highest rehoming rate!! It's the only public pound in Dublin which is the city in Irleand with most population!!! It's basic maths! (I know there is Dunboyne too but most people don't even know that Dunboyne is a Dublin pound too and it is too far away for most).
    Every time there is an issue about Ashton they always come up with the statement "we have the highest rehoming rate" like if this can make them immune from any complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ahstown has such a high rehoming rate due to the very hard work of a bunch of volunteers. Nothing to do with the pound itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Spica wrote: »
    During the show it was said that the pound has one of the highest rehoming rate in the country.
    Firstly, what the rehoming rate has to do with the pound conditions? does having a high rehoming rate justify the unsuitable way the dogs are kept?
    Secondly, of course Ashton has the highest rehoming rate!! It's the only public pound in Dublin which is the city in Irleand with most population!!! It's basic maths! (I know there is Dunboyne too but most people don't even know that Dunboyne is a Dublin pound too and it is too far away for most).
    Every time there is an issue about Ashton they always come up with the statement "we have the highest rehoming rate" like if this can make them immune from any complaint.

Dunboyne actually had a higher rehoming rate than Ashton last year!

Advertisement