Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MOTU]Does anyone remember the meteor/UFO in the late 80s in the Boyle/Roscommon area

• 12-12-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I was a kid at the time, I seem to remember reports of something coming down in that area and AGS and possibly the Army responding?
    Anyone remember that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

In May 1996, a UFO apparently went down near Boyle, Eire (Ireland). One night during that month many witnessed an unusual object glide down towards the Curlieu Mountains north of Boyle. It appeared to be an aerial craft coming into land, but had misjudged its approach, clipping the tops of trees and landing in a lake. Several occupants were said to have been taken into custody by a retrieval team and much military activity (including American soldiers) continued in the area for a six-month period following the incident. Civilians were prevented from going near the scene and the local police were instructed to keep their noses out of it and their mouths shut.

whethere any of this is true or not is another story...

the incident led to the foundation of the ufo society of ireland by Betty Myler.. the site seems to have disappeared since she died last year but youll find plenty on google..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmella2012

Apparantly, there is still some kind of marking to be seen on the ground where it happened?
    Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why would American soldiers be involved in anything on Irish soil?

Also, what's the source for the above quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

ah, we butt or noses in everywhere it seems. But I would like to know where the quote came from. ( sorry nosy is my nature :)) I just find it harder and harder to believe that there isn't anything going on. Things have been seen all over the planet and reported by quite normal and upstanding individuals.
    Can't believe there is this much smoke without a fire. That doesn't mean I beleve in extraterrestrials or little green men - just something unexplained.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

harmoniums wrote: »
    I was a kid at the time, I seem to remember reports of something coming down in that area and AGS and possibly the Army responding?
    Anyone remember that?

Greetings, i am actually from Boyle and was living in Boyle at the time of the incident. A strange event it certainly was. My memory is a bit vague from that time. I think i remember learning about it from our local news paper "The Roscommon Herald". I remember actually going into there office on Patrick st. and asking for information on the said event. They said they had nothing. Actually the receptionist was adamant about this. Personally from my recollection at the time i perceived this is what she had been told to say. Of course if i knew my rights back then i should have demanded a copy of the report. But this is history. Apparently the Irish Army were involved although i cannot remember if this piece of information i ascertained at the time or years subsequently. I must apologize i am just over the flu so my memory is not the best this week. Interesting fact about the Police been not involved as we both know this would have been against the law as far as i am concerned. As far as the yanks been involved; i would not be surprised. Considering this country's close relationship with the USA; i would not be surprised if there is not already a "Procedure" in place whereby a if a UFO entered our jurisdiction that this state would procure outside help/expertise from the USA or someone else. Remember when i mean UFO i do necessarily mean it would be alien.
    The Curlieu Mountains are a very Old mountain range. Alot of history there and alot of unknowns. A ley line actually runs through very close to Boyle on which the O'Connors build their main Rath/Fort near Boyle. It also has one of the largest Abbeys in the country in Boyle itself. Ley lines are associated with UFOs due the Electrical/magnetic fields involved plus the above history i mentioned i related to raths & abbeys points to the very spiritual nature of the area. We must remember that the old celtic religion frequently talks about "Gateways" to other realms and places.

P.S Would a citizen be allowed any FOI on the above event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I find it very interesting that not one reply talks about any other possible causes to this incident. Dispite what people think, planes of all types both passenger and cargo whether civilian or military fly over Ireland day and night with every cargo under the sun. Its very possible that a military aircraft went down over a neutral Ireland at the time and if the cargo was military then god knows what it could have been, so to stop an international incident it was cleaned up and kept quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Ziycon wrote: »
    I find it very interesting that not one reply talks about any other possible causes to this incident. Dispite what people think, planes of all types both passenger and cargo whether civilian or military fly over Ireland day and night with every cargo under the sun. Its very possible that a military aircraft went down over a neutral Ireland at the time and if the cargo was military then god knows what it could have been, so to stop an international incident it was cleaned up and kept quite.

I see your point. Thats what i meant when i said the UFO might not have been alien, it could have been any type of craft build by people on this earth, something not necessarily widely known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ziycon wrote: »

Of course, but I think the whole point is that if this was the case, as happens almost every year in Ireland (commercial and private downings in Ireland), it is widely reported, everyone involved is known, it usually makes the national news, and there is nothing hidden about it.

Every single plane etc. that flies through our skies is recorded and accounted for with a point of origin and a destination, and is easily verifiable and who is the commercial owner / private owner and pilot etc. and any crash is investigated by the national agency, but never with the need for any secrecy.

And just like with anything in life, when someone suddenly acts completely out of the norm and gets extremely secretive about something and you have half facts about an incident happening and witnesses, it raises suspicions as to what was going on....hence the formation of a conspiracy theory or a suspected cover up....of what, who knows, but certainly worth questioning...

You may be right, your scenario is certainly one possability, but I seem to believe (and this may be wrong, someone will need to verify this as true or not) that witness' and locals seemed to believe it was more than just a plane crash, through what they saw etc., but again, this is from memory of hearing about this before, so not stating that as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Of course, but I think the whole point is that if this was the case, as happens almost every year in Ireland (commercial and private downings in Ireland), it is widely reported, everyone involved is known, it usually makes the national news, and there is nothing hidden about it.

Every single plane etc. that flies through our skies is recorded and accounted for with a point of origin and a destination, and is easily verifiable and who is the commercial owner / private owner and pilot etc. and any crash is investigated by the national agency, but never with the need for any secrecy.

And just like with anything in life, when someone suddenly acts completely out of the norm and gets extremely secretive about something and you have half facts about an incident happening and witnesses, it raises suspicions as to what was going on....hence the formation of a conspiracy theory or a suspected cover up....of what, who knows, but certainly worth questioning...

You may be right, your scenario is certainly one possability, but I seem to believe (and this may be wrong, someone will need to verify this as true or not) that witness' and locals seemed to believe it was more than just a plane crash, through what they saw etc., but again, this is from memory of hearing about this before, so not stating that as fact.
    If it was a downed military plane, think about the uproar it would have caused if the public or even the media found out explosives or even bombs were on board or any other type of weaponry. It could have easily have been an experimental aircraft which for obvious reason the owners wouldn't want anyone to know about.

Based off the reports from witnesses and descriptions of the story, I'm leaning more so to that it was a downed aircraft of Earthly origin, most likely a military aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I think I remember reading about this in the Western People at the time- but was it closer to the Mayo border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

I bought a book a few years back about Irelands UFO history. I think it was called 'Conspiracy of Silence' or something like that. Anyway this particular case was discussed and apparently, quiet by accident, the author discovered while chatting to a retired member of the RAF at a party, that indeed around the time in question a prototype Saab Grippen fighter jet went on in the Boyle area while on manouvers. Apparently 2 pilots were killed in the incident. The aircraft was recovered and taken to the UK. I can't remember the full details but the book is still available I'm certain.
    I must read it again. Some good and some outrageous stories in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Acttually, I know someone reliable you travelled through Roscommon on the way to Cavan regularly in the 80's. They said that one night they saw an unearthly brialliant light in a remote field but didn't stop to see what it was about, at the time. They often speak of it but say it was not like a car or tractor light more like a small sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the waterman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Acttually, I know someone reliable you travelled through Roscommon on the way to Cavan regularly in the 80's. They said that one night they saw an unearthly brialliant light in a remote field but didn't stop to see what it was about, at the time. They often speak of it but say it was not like a car or tractor light more like a small sun!

saw something similar myself once, id normally be skeptical unless i had good evidence but when its right in front of you its undisputable now the topic fascinates me id love to know if anyone else has seen any orb shaped objects :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ninjamonkey

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Why would American soldiers be involved in anything on Irish soil?

Also, what's the source for the above quote?

Well its not entirely incredulous if you do some research ..
    I have researched a good deal, and im pretty sure im on the right track for the answer. - probably wasted now, as few people will even be interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Here is a link to the quote anyway

ufoevidence.org

Advertisement