Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

campo wrote: »
    Takes about 5 mins, again google and Youtube

Any particular sentences worth putting into the youtube search?

Can these boxes be upgraded when new versions of xbmc is released or are you stuck with the version that comes on the box coz I read that some come with 12 and some come with Frodo 12.2?

I should also mention that this will be a present for someone so I have a budget of about €100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

iba wrote: »

Read the adverts ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Can these boxes be upgraded when new versions of xbmc is released or are you stuck with the version that comes on the box coz I read that some come with 12 and some come with Frodo 12.2?

The boxes I linked you from China don't come with any xbmc on them, it's up to you to install whatever the hell you want on them. It's just like buying a new PC, it will have an operating system on it and you install whatever you want after that. When you asked for an Android box I presumed you were familiar with it and perhaps had an Android phone? Well it's exactly the same, you install whatever apps you want on it.

These guys on Adverts just buy these boxes from China, stick XBMC on them and sell them for twice the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

BroLo wrote: »
    Worth the price? Very tempted by this!

Im not sure, i'm waiting on mk908ii newer version/spin off with antenna on the side of it.

I don't know if there are known issues with this with wifi reception. Hopefully Allyall or someone from mk808 thread pops in help you more then me.

But just for the quickness of getting hands on the device yes :pac: im 3 weeks down the road from ordering on geekbuying and still nothing :(

user2011 wrote: »
    Im not sure, i'm waiting on mk908ii newer version/spin off with antenna on the side of it.

I don't know if there are known issues with this with wifi reception. Hopefully Allyall or someone from mk808 thread pops in help you more then me.

But just for the quickness of getting hands on the device yes :pac: im 3 weeks down the road from ordering on geekbuying and still nothing :(

Only rush I'd be in to get one would be because of ibood.

So if the ii is a better device I'd go for it.

How does it handle 1080p video?

Would it be able to power a 1TB portable HDD?

And if it was purely for XBMC then would all I need be the device, the mini keyboard and the USB extender?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

So if the ii is a better device I'd go for it.

How does it handle 1080p video?

Would it be able to power a 1TB portable HDD?

And if it was purely for XBMC then would all I need be the device, the mini keyboard and the USB extender?

The ii is indeed supposed to be a much better device, the standard 908 is supposed to have issues with wifi including regular connection drops, maybe that's why they stuck an antenna on the side!

I can only go by what I read but I believe the ii can handle 1080p quite well. My mk808b does struggle with it.

I could be wrong but I don't think any of these devices can power an external HHD...? You'd probably need a separate power supply for it.

You probably wouldn't need the USB extender as your keyboard can connect to the OTG with the included adapter and your HDD into the standard USB port. Still it's handy to have the extender for other devices like USB flash drives, webcam etc.

The iBood deal is for the older model with known issues, it's 70 euro plus shipping which isn't expected till 13th Nov. Geekbuying is 53 Euro for the newer model, free shipping, though user2011's 3 weeks wait is a bit worrying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

You can control them with an app that you download onto your android smart phone, so don't absolutely need the mini keyboard.

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    The ii is indeed supposed to be a much better device, the standard 908 is supposed to have issues with wifi including regular connection drops, maybe that's why they stuck an antenna on the side!

I can only go by what I read but I believe the ii can handle 1080p quite well. My mk808b does struggle with it.

I could be wrong but I don't think any of these devices can power an external HHD...? You'd probably need a separate power supply for it.

You probably wouldn't need the USB extender as your keyboard can connect to the OTG with the included adapter and your HDD into the standard USB port. Still it's handy to have the extender for other devices like USB flash drives, webcam etc.

The iBood deal is for the older model with known issues, it's 70 euro plus shipping which isn't expected till 13th Nov. Geekbuying is 53 Euro for the newer model, free shipping, though user2011's 3 weeks wait is a bit worrying...

What I meant regarding the HDD is it is a USB powered one. Would the box be able to power it through its USB slot or would I need an alternative power source for it?
    eamonnq wrote: »
    You can control them with an app that you download onto your android smart phone, so don't absolutely need the mini keyboard.

I'm using that at the minute with my current XBMC set up. Its not as handy as it sounds, so I'd prefer to get a dedicated remote for it.

What I meant regarding the HDD is it is a USB powered one. Would the box be able to power it through its USB slot or would I need an alternative power source for it?

Yup I know what you meant, I don't think any of these types of Android stick can supply the power needed for a HDD. TBH even if they said they could I wouldn't trust them, I find the USB connection on my 808b to be a bit temperamental, one of my mouse adapters isn't liked by the main USB slot, if it's plugged in there the device won't even switch on, I had to use the OTG port for that, also anything in it seems to get quite hot. So I just wouldn't trust them to power a HDD.
    I'm using that at the minute with my current XBMC set up. Its not as handy as it sounds, so I'd prefer to get a dedicated remote for it.

Have you tried Yatse? It's a dedicated XBMC app, it's pretty awesome, all the content shows up on your phone and you can even stream everything to your phone from your XBMC. I'm having problems using it as my setup is a bit arseways at the moment but it is nice. Try the free version it allows everything except the streaming back to your phone. Thanks to Allyall for recommending it.

The boxes I linked you from China don't come with any xbmc on them, it's up to you to install whatever the hell you want on them. It's just like buying a new PC, it will have an operating system on it and you install whatever you want after that. When you asked for an Android box I presumed you were familiar with it and perhaps had an Android phone? Well it's exactly the same, you install whatever apps you want on it.

These guys on Adverts just buy these boxes from China, stick XBMC on them and sell them for twice the price.

Yes I have android phone and tablet.

Yup I know what you meant, I don't think any of these types of Android stick can supply the power needed for a HDD. TBH even if they said they could I wouldn't trust them, I find the USB connection on my 808b to be a bit temperamental, one of my mouse adapters isn't liked by the main USB slot, if it's plugged in there the device won't even switch on, I had to use the OTG port for that, also anything in it seems to get quite hot. So I just wouldn't trust them to power a HDD.

Have you tried Yatse? It's a dedicated XBMC app, it's pretty awesome, all the content shows up on your phone and you can even stream everything to your phone from your XBMC. I'm having problems using it as my setup is a bit arseways at the moment but it is nice. Try the free version it allows everything except the streaming back to your phone. Thanks to Allyall for recommending it.

Would the best choice for something like this be a NAS so?

I'm using the official XBMC remote. Don't get me wrong it's useful I just find myself using my keyboard more than the app. Prefer a physical button.

Plus sometimes the connection bugs and it gets stuck on the last button I pressed so it scrolls or pauses infinitely :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I would Google xbmc repo or repository, easy enough from there really. Its a 5 minute job adding all the useful add ons.

Would the best choice for something like this be a NAS so?

If you've a lot of stuff, I'd say so. For me though I'm fine with a couple of 32 Gig memory sticks and a micro SD. I find myself not downloading and keeping stuff any more when I can stream most everything from the likes of XBMC and the Newsgroups etc.

The iBood one is the 1st version, the Geekbuying one is the newer 2nd version of the device.

The iBood one has some issues with WiFi. You have no risk of customs and will have it faster.

The Geekbuying one has better WiFi but you have a risk of Customs and it will take a lot longer to arrive.

AAAAAnd the message I was responding to disappeared :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

I heard MiniX were good and was about to pull the trigger on the X7 until I read some disparaging comments on youtube. Is there a consensus on the best one out there please? Money no object. I've read this thread and it seems to be either the ridiculously named and shaped "Prometheus" or the MK808b! There's just so bleeding many of the blighters...:D

Also I don't know why some people were mentioning an RPI...hardly an Android box is it?

VanZan wrote: »
    Is there a consensus on the best one out there please? Money no object. I've read this thread and it seems to be either the ridiculously named and shaped "Prometheus" or the MK808b! There's just so bleeding many of the blighters...:D

Surely you mean the MK908ii? :) I have the 808b and I'm not sure I'd go for it again as it's a dual core. I had some difficulty streaming 1080p from the net but that might have been a download issue. I'll try running one straight from the device and if it plays ok then there's probably no real need for a quad core in fairness.

The first time I saw the "Prometheus" in an email from Geekbuying I thought it was some sort of 3D eyewear!

You really need Allyall here as he has a lot of experience with all these devices but I think he's busy pulling his hair out at the moment... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

^^

Ha ha.. :D
    I am/was/will be.

Electricity went today, so that didn't help me. Just logged out there, and noticed your post as i was logging out.

I'm not much use at the minute, as I'd probably start naming others and going off on a tangent, and not being much help. But when I've finished wrecking my own head for tonight i may sign back in to wreck others :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've read this thread and it seems to be either the ridiculously named and shaped "Prometheus"

When the Prometheus first came out it was plagued by problems, I was on the verge of buying one of them back then as it had the network port, and a few USB sockets, which would have suited my needs, but luckily I held off buying. It sounds like they may have released a better version, but if you are buying one just make sure it is not the first version that you get.

The OUYA seems to be recommended also, but I know nothing about it. I have a MEASY U2C lying around here somewhere that I thought was the best of them (at the time of buying), must dig it out and try installing XBMC on it and see how it goes.

I think if I was buying now, I would go with this:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Himedia-Q5ii-Android-4-2-Google-Smart-Set-Top-TV-Box-3D-Blue-ray-ISO-SATA/1228752155.html

The iBood one is the 1st version, the Geekbuying one is the newer 2nd version of the device.

The iBood one has some issues with WiFi. You have no risk of customs and will have it faster.

The Geekbuying one has better WiFi but you have a risk of Customs and it will take a lot longer to arrive.

AAAAAnd the message I was responding to disappeared :P

Ah thats because I kopped on to what the difference between the two was ust after I'd posted, so I deleted straight away, but you were obviously too quick for me - thanks for replying though :)

I heard MiniX were good and was about to pull the trigger on the X7 until I read some disparaging comments on youtube. Is there a consensus on the best one out there please? Money no object. I've read this thread and it seems to be either the ridiculously named and shaped "Prometheus" or the MK808b! There's just so bleeding many of the blighters...:D

Also I don't know why some people were mentioning an RPI...hardly an Android box is it?

Having the same problem as you - too many of the blighters

This thread seems to be leaning towards the MK908II but I also like the ones Tony posted earleir the Mygica ones

Others like the Prometheus but I just read a bad thread about that here:
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161697

Whats good about the Promethus one I guess is that it has an ethernet port

I came across another one earlier on aliexpress that even has a built in DVB-T which might be useful too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The k-r42 from geekbuying works great for xbmc and has ethernet and full usb ports. Has dedicated optical out as well. I'm running xbmc on mine perfectly at the moment and it has a good developer scene. Lewie on freaktab has just released dedicated xbmc/ouya firmware that boots straight into xbmc and is designed for media and gaming.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/K-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6Ghz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-External-Wifi-Antenna-Ethernet-Port-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317141.html

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The k-r42 from geekbuying works great for xbmc and has ethernet and full usb ports. Has dedicated optical out as well. I'm running xbmc on mine perfectly at the moment and it has a good developer scene. Lewie on freaktab has just released dedicated xbmc/ouya firmware that boots straight into xbmc and is designed for media and gaming.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/K-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6Ghz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-External-Wifi-Antenna-Ethernet-Port-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317141.html

Thanks for your input, that one looks good too (I think)

If I could decide on this simple question it would cut out half the boxes:

Q: Linux XBMC vs Android XBMC?

A: The MyGica 120 is an Android box running Android XBMC. The implementation of Android XBMC on the 120 is exceptional and very stable. However, some people prefer Linux XBMC, which is the same thing but running direct from boot without the Android OS. Linux XBMC is only available on the much slower Amlogic M3 platform, but offers complete compatibility with XBMC add-ons. See here for our Amlogic M3 Linux XBMC box. Linux XBMC is currently in development for the M6 platform (i.e. the MyGica 1200/520/120) and should become available during the summer.

I know I've copied that straight from somewhere else, but basically what I understand from that is the the advantage of the LINUX XBMC is that it boots straight away but on the negative side runs on a slower processer than an Android XBMC

tony1980 wrote: »

This is suposed to be brilliant as well, only 53 euros! Whufclee on xbmctalk gave it a great review. He is one of the devs for xbmc.

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP046.php

whufclee a dev of XBMC? Is he fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

whufclee a dev of XBMC? Is he fcuk!

What do you mean? I think he is anyway, his is one of the repos you can install add ons from as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement

lol anybody can have a repo mate. whufclee is just a fanboy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement